Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

a spooky ghost posted:

Has a sprite pack like that DR1 been posted in this thread yet?
Nope, not yet.

I couldn't find the second one for Togami...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

HelloWinter posted:

Nope, not yet.

Is there supposed to be just one Togami sprite in that set.
Never mind.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

HelloWinter posted:

Nope, not yet.

Pekoyama looks like a bug. And I love Nidai's stomp stomp stomp.

Regarding the last update, I literally heard "nan de yo nen" in my head when I read Monomi's dialogue at the end. It really is a huge cliche.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

HelloWinter posted:

Nope, not yet.

And for those who haven't figured it out, these walking sprites are the ones that randomly appear on the game's title screen -- Kuzuryuu appeared first when I recorded my footage for the first update.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Ibuki seems to wink instead of blink in her forward-facing sprite- is that intentional?

And those sprites have made me notice for the first time Gundam's eyes are both different colours.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It seems to be a newer anime trope that people who want to be cool and mysterious have heterochromia, but since people who want it rarely actually have it Gundam is probably using a coloured contact to get the effect.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I love the Togami one. It's Earthbound as gently caress. :allears:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

loquacius posted:

I love the Togami one. It's Earthbound as gently caress. :allears:

And suddenly I find myself hoping he ends up riding one of the Monobeasts.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ocean Breeze Dead End

Not one of you bastards remembers how you arrived on this island, do you?
That's because Monomi took you bastards' memories away!
W...What are you saying?!
By the way, those memories she stole? They aren't just some silly, clichéd stuff like the details of your arrival here.
Oh no... She took away several years you bastards spent at Hope's Peak Academy!
...Howawa!?
Siiiigh... It’s such a relief to get that out in the open! Memory loss is so old fashioned, after all...
A cheap story would shamelessly leave that revelation hanging until the endgame! Can you imagine?! Fortunately, I’m not that cowardly.
S...Stop it, please!
Upupupu. Surprised? You bastards aren't actually freshmen!
But you’ve all forgotten that, so you think you still are! Isn’t that just rotten?
And... it’s such a familiar plot device... Is this plagiarism?! It’s not even original!!
Y...You really can't do this!

I won't let you get away with this!
Gyaaaaaaaa! That's not what they mean by punch-line!

...Huh?

...W...What's going on?

Well, how was it? Did you laugh? Or perhaps, my comedy was too high-brow for you bastards?

Oy... what was that all about?

What was what all about?

Oh! You mean the “school life memories” part! That’s very simple! They were all taken away!

All taken away...?

All of our school life memories...?

What... is he saying...?

Ha ha, ha ha... huh? This can't be, right?
I mean, yesterday was Ibuki’s first day at Hope’s Peak Academy! And we got taken here straight after that...

Right, right... but that’s just what you were made to think.
But the truth is, Monomi erased all of memories of your life at Hope's Peak Academy...
W...What the hell are you saying?! That's impossible!

I wonder how many years it’s been? How long have you all been students there?
...And what happened to your families and friends? That's one more thing to be worried about, isn't it?

A...All of our school life memories were taken?! I haven't heard a sillier story in my life!

He's right! No way my memory's gone!

Y...You can't listen to what he's saying! Don't listen to him!

Abuabuabu... Ibuki’s brain: over capacity...

I won't believe such things. Everything's fine. I don't believe any of it...

H...He’s just lying, isn’t he? Our memory isn't really gone...?
E...Everyone's probably in on it, too... You’re just trying to trick me... trying to make me look like an idiot... right?

Nope, none of this is a lie. If it was a lie, how can you explain what happened?
The moment you stepped into Hope's Peak Academy, every one of you bastards experienced a strange dizziness, right?
Wha...?!
H...How did you know that...?

Upupu... Essentially, that was the point your memories broke off.
Every memory you bastards had since then has been extracted and deleted, until the moment you arrived on this island.
W...What the hell...!

All at once, my mind began to go blank.

I couldn't think well. I couldn't even form words.

All I could do... was instinctively breathe heavily.

Did... a long time really pass since then...?

That's a load of poo poo! It’s impossible!!

And why do you think it's impossible?

It's just silly... Who could even believe such a thing?

Isn't it just that you don't want to believe?

But, have no fear! This sweet, kind Monobear is going to give you bastards your memories back!

...Hoeh?!

It's just... that I have a condition.

That condition... you don’t mean...?

Upupu... Did you guess already?

Tropical Despair

That's right, I want mutual killing out of you bastards!
This is my one and only non-negotiable condition!

Howawa?!

You’re dying to know, aren’t you? You bastards want to remember your lost school life, don't you?

If so, kill kill kill! Make it a murder to remember!

Hey, rear end in a top hat! I've let you say whatever's on your mind for way too long!

Oh? Why so angry? All I did was give you a motive out of the kindness of my heart.
I mean, before now you bastards were too scared to kill, weren't you?

Well, I guess that's natural.
Humans come out of the womb bawling. You’re cowards from the moment you’re born.

And that's why I had to give you bastards a motive. You needed some justification in order to kill.

G...Give me a break...!
Do you really think anyone here is going to kill just because you told us such a delusional story?

I don't even believe your stupid story about a memory loss anyway!

Maybe you don’t. But can you be certain there isn’t someone among you who does?

W...What do you mean...?!

You know nothing about each other. And that's why...

Music halts

...You still haven’t even noticed the traitor among your ranks!
...Huh?

Ocean Breeze Dead End

There are sixteen of you bastards here, right?
But, there were only supposed to be fifteen Hope’s Peak Academy students coming to this island! Isn’t that weird?

I've got it! It means one of you is a traitor, whose identity is unknown even to me!
...Or something.

W...What the gently caress are you saying? What's this talk about a traitor?!

...It is nonsense. He is just trying to confuse us.

But... can you really be sure of that?
You know nothing about each other, after all. You don’t know each other’s true natures...

Would any of you even notice if one of you was scheming murder? I don’t think you would! Do you?!

And just like that, we all went quiet again.
I wanted someone... anyone... to say something. To argue back against him.

But no one did. We just stood there, in silence.

You see, if I'm right and there really is a traitor among you, that would be a terrible thing.
Don’t you want to get revenge on the imposter who’s trying to trick you? Are you really going to let them get away with this?

Of course not! Your only choice is to attack first! Whoever's the fastest is going to win this lottery!

If you want to survive, you’ll have to kill before you get killed...

Ahahahaha!

Even after Monobear's high-pitched laugh had faded, we continued standing in silence for a while.

These circumstances... this situation... this event... this calamity... this nightmare... this hell... this despair...

We were all consumed by it.

Um... Is one of us really a traitor...?

It isn't me! I may look suspicious, but... I swear, it isn't me!

WHO IS IT?! TELL US RIGHT NOW! THE MORE YOU POSTPONE IT THE MORE YOU'LL REGRET IT!

...Stop it. There is probably no traitor among us.

...Why would there be? We shouldn't even have this silly discussion.

H...He's right... I don't believe any of it...
Why should I believe it? There's no evidence for any of it...

...Oy, Monomi. You can probably answer our questions.

...Hoeh?!

Are Monobear's words the truth? Our memory loss... and the traitor...?

Um... You see...
If you dwell too much on the past... you’ll lose sight of the future... So...

...Fix your eyes only on the future! L...Let's all do our best to live on!!

Re: Despair Syndrome

Ah, she ran away!

Feh. Worthless rabbit.
Memory loss... traitors... that's straight out of fairy tales.

Don't try to mess with me, retards!!

He was right... this was just like in a story. As far from reality as any of us had ever been...
Memory loss? All memories of our school life? A traitor among us?

But... more than that, Monobear's words pierced my heart.

"You don’t know eachother’s true natures..."

Music fades out

* ding dong ding dong *

Um, This is an announcement from Hope's Peak Academy's Field Trip Executive Committee...
It is now 10pm.
Please rest peacefully, along with the soothing sound of the waves.
Well then, pleasant dreams. Goodnight...

Re: Despair Syndrome

...Hey, what are we going to do now?

We should disperse for the night.
Let us have a good night of sleep... and clear our heads.

I guess... you're right.

And if any of you are getting any absurd ideas... abandon them. This is an order from your leader.
Tomorrow morning... we will all gather at the restaurant, right after Monobear's announcement.

Monobear’s really let the cat out of the frying pan and into the fire, hasn’t he?

Yeah, he... what? I think you’ve gotten some metaphors mixed up there...

Give her a break... she's a foreigner...

I don't really remember what happened after that. The next time I knew what was going on...

Re: Despair-Syndrome

...I was sitting on the bed in my cottage, my head hanging down.

And as I sat alone in my room, an incomprehensible thought occurred to me...

A traitor among our ranks...

It has to be... someone who is different from the others, right?

Perhaps... someone who can’t explain - who can’t even remember - their own special talent?

W...What the hell... That's just silly...

I discarded that silly idea, and collapsed into bed.

Then, I closed my eyes.
Sleep was my only possible escape from this bizarre situation.

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

MONOBEAR THEATER

There's a famous phrase, going "there is no such word as impossible in my dictionary".
But... isn't using a word that isn't in your own dictionary the very definition of "impossible"?
And so, since you made that impossibility into a possibility...
That's further proof that you're a person for whom nothing is impossible!

orenronen fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 15, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I love how self-aware these games are. Also, does Ibuki refer to herself in third-person in the original Japanese or is that a quirk you all built into her?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This has been the most inspirational Monobear Theatre of all time.

pyrrhickong
May 17, 2010

The Hell's "beefcake" mean anyway?
I'm glad the game, if briefly, does address the "oh yeah Hinata doesn't have memories so everyone's probably gonna turn on him" thing through Hinata's own doubt. Really separates him from the entirely idealistic Naegi.

Generally the whole cast seems more genre savvy than the last cast, at least at handling problems (trying to extract information from Monomi, actually listening to Togami, if reluctantly in some cases, showing actual resistance other than 'THAT'S NOT TRUE THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE' outside of Mondo), and seem to have opinions and wanting to drive things forward as opposed to dwelling until Kirigiri gets them on-track or Togami says something infuriating. It's a lot more logically-driven with a few screwballs, as opposed to a lot of screwballs with a few people who actually make sense. That's really going to make a more interesting balance going into the trials, and makes me look forward to them.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
OK, obviously Monobear this time around isn't as smart as Junko had been.

He's blowing his whole load for the first murder.

"If you kill your friend I'll let you off the island and I'll give you your memories back and I'll let you ride a pony and buy you an ice cream cone with a pretty red cherry up at the top. Plus, one of your friends is a traitor."

Seems to be rather... overdoing it on the incentivization front.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

C-Euro posted:

I love how self-aware these games are. Also, does Ibuki refer to herself in third-person in the original Japanese or is that a quirk you all built into her?

Fedule posted:

Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes
Episode the Fifth

...Oh, right. Ibuki speaks very energetically, habitually refers to herself in the third person, and says "huh" a lot, often followed by an interrobang.

I love Monobear's potshot on the original Dangan Ronpa with that memory loss line. I find it interesting that Togami immediately denies that there might be a traitor in their midst, as well.

quote:

WHO IS IT?! TELL US RIGHT NOW! THE MORE YOU POSTPONE IT THE MORE YOU'LL REGRET IT!

Coach :allears:

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
Boy, busy day.

Someone might be a traitor, Monomi's getting a lot more suspicious, Togami might get his memories back and tell us what the deal with him is.

Or maybe Monobear's just lying.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

orenronen posted:

Hinata, what are you so happy about :raise:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

C-Euro posted:

I think that in Japanese referring to yourself in the third person is just something small children and anime girls being cutesy do. I don't think any of the characters in K-on do it, but then none of them dress like Ibuki either.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

It seems to be a newer anime trope that people who want to be cool and mysterious have heterochromia, but since people who want it rarely actually have it Gundam is probably using a coloured contact to get the effect.

Ive always been under the impression that real heterochromia is like, one blue eye and one slightly lighter blue eye, too. Nothing stark and dramatic like Yuna from Final Fantasy Ten

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Gensuki posted:

Hinata, what are you so happy about :raise:

Sindai posted:

I think that in Japanese referring to yourself in the third person is just something small children and anime girls being cutesy do. I don't think any of the characters in K-on do it, but then none of them dress like Ibuki either.

For what it's worth, Nanako does this in the Persona 4 animation.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Ibuki seems to wink instead of blink in her forward-facing sprite- is that intentional?

And those sprites have made me notice for the first time Gundam's eyes are both different colours.
I think it's because the upper half of her right eye is covered with hair. And heterochromia is a pretty common chuuni trope, usually connected to evil powers residing in the odd-colored eye, so no wonder Gundam has it.

What this update basically did is raise the plank to the level of the previous game's last chapter. Most of the shocking plot twists about the gang's circumstances are revealed straight away, which means that it can only go downwards from here, surprising even those who've read DR1. The only thing we know of but the characters don't is the Monoworld, but that would go against Monobear's plans at this point.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Okay. So... I kind of wish that I had something substantial to change about the theories I dropped all over the place after last update but all of this conforms way too well with what I said. C'mon Dangan Ronpa. You're tricksier than that. Prove me an idiot. The thing of the most material substance: We now have evidence that this is supposed to be a 15 person class. Togami is the obvious extraneous anomaly. So... reiterating: "Togami kidnapped a group of SHSL Despair, mindwiped them to render them harmless and is the mastermind behind Monomi" is my going theory, because it doesn't seem otherwise logically possible for these students to exist given evidence from Dangan Ronpa 1, and that explains why Monomi's operation would be necessary at all and why Togami would want to be involved with this group after DR1.

And drat. I've never seen Monobear seem so unsure of himself. Like, he knows he has to appear all-powerful to the kids, but he's legitimately not sure he's getting what exactly happened right and on top of that, his bluff might be called at any moment because the counter-mastermind/Hope-mastermind might have a larger view of what's going on than he does.

Kytrarewn posted:

"If you kill your friend I'll let you off the island and I'll give you your memories back and I'll let you ride a pony and buy you an ice cream cone with a pretty red cherry up at the top. Plus, one of your friends is a traitor."

If he's in the process of hijacking Monomi's operation, he might actually be in a drat weak position. Togami was doing an excellent job of preventing murder-game shenanigans from occurring at all, and if he could direct the effort that would otherwise be put towards murder towards anti-Monobear poo poo, I'd imagine Monobear might actually be in a helluva lot of trouble.

edit:

V!ntar posted:

When did the game tell us only 15 students were supposed to go to the island? I don't remember that fact... and I assume this traitor is (was?) siding with Monomi, right?

Never. This is the first mention of it.

edit2:

I think Monobear seems to have done things differently in the rules this time to prevent some rule-lawyering; last time, a big deal was made over how since he was a student too, he was bound by the same rules (mostly because of the terms of the TV show). This time the rules don't necessarily apply only to students, in case we have to treat someone as a non-student.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 5, 2013

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
When did the game tell us only 15 students were supposed to go to the island? I don't remember that fact... and I assume this traitor is (was?) siding with Monomi, right?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
You know, all the plot twists we've seen in this update are plot twists we saw from the previous game. If this were any other game, I would say they are just repeating old stuff, but considering this is Dangan Ronpa I totally did not see this coming. Already we're dealing with a 16th Student and Traitor twist?

Although as I think about it, I don't think the "Monobear will return memories to the graduated student" one was around before...

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kytrarewn posted:

Remember that monobear is basically an author insert, so his plans mirror the game's plans. In the tradition of many sequels, the game is stuffing itself with more stuff than the first game. In the first one the game was setting up the reveal that what was basically the apocalypse happened, and now that the audience knows that bit of info the game has to come up with many smaller hooks to replace that big one.

That's why we have a whole new setting with secrets to uncover, and there is Monomi to figure out, and now there is this traitor character. Of course, all of this stuff is secondary to the character stories in this series. This isn't something like 999 where the plot is so complex and interesting that the characters can afford to be a little flat (although, they might be trying for that level of twisty goodness this time around). Still, if you want a mystery to obsess over while the good stuff is going on, there are many to pick from.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

V!ntar posted:

Yeah, I had the same question. I don't recall that information being given.

I'm also not sure it's the best idea to tantalize people with the thought of regaining their memories at the school by killing their classmates. I know, not everyone's going to act rationally, but if you entertained the thought for just a moment you'd realize the person you kill could have been a close friend.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Krysmphoenix posted:

You know, all the plot twists we've seen in this update are plot twists we saw from the previous game. If this were any other game, I would say they are just repeating old stuff, but considering this is Dangan Ronpa I totally did not see this coming. Already we're dealing with a 16th Student and Traitor twist?

The memory shenanigans may be the same twist, but the traitor is actually the opposite of DR1 - over at that game, the students thought there were only 15 of them in the class, but it turned out there were actually 16. Over here, Monobear suggests one of the sixteen people is not really a student and has sneaked into the group.

EDIT:

V!ntar posted:

When did the game tell us only 15 students were supposed to go to the island?

Right now, when Monobear revealed it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That's a pretty good motive. But would Monobear really restore everyone else's memory (somehow) if a murder is committed? I'm not sure I could see that happening so soon. I like all the time we're getting to see the various people before any of them get bumped off.

As for Gundam's different coloured eyes, his grey eye is crossed by a scar. It might be damaged.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 5, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I know, not everyone's going to act rationally, but if you entertained the thought for just a moment you'd realize the person you kill could have been a close friend.

If it was any other series I'd expect something like this to happen in order to score some cheap sad moments, but they could have hit that same beat in the first game once the students figured out that they all used to be friends and instead they moved on to other things. Perhaps actually having their memories implanted back into their bodies, instead of just figuring out something that you don't remember, will cause that kind of reaction.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Monobear and Monomi are great :allears:

I'm more surprised why no one is rebelling against Togami. It's weird they just excepted him as a leader so suddenly.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Devil Tesla posted:

If it was any other series I'd expect something like this to happen in order to score some cheap sad moments, but they could have hit that same beat in the first game once the students figured out that they all used to be friends and instead they moved on to other things. Perhaps actually having their memories implanted back into their bodies, instead of just figuring out something that you don't remember, will cause that kind of reaction.

What are you talking about? They were totally pissed when they figured it out.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

orenronen posted:

Siiiigh... It’s such a relief to get that out in the open! Memory loss is so old fashioned, after all...
A cheap story would shamelessly leave that revelation hanging until the endgame! Can you imagine?! Fortunately, I’m not that cowardly.

How very self-aware of this game. Didn't Monobear drop that very revelation on us in the last game? :haw:

orenronen posted:

...You still haven’t even noticed the traitor among your ranks!
...Huh?

There are sixteen of you bastards here, right?
But, there were only supposed to be fifteen Hope’s Peak Academy students coming to this island! Isn’t that weird?

I've got it! It means one of you is a traitor, whose identity is unknown even to me!
...Or something.

Now this is interesting. If Monobear is right, then there's an extra student on the island who isn't supposed to be there. Since Monobear rarely lied outright in the first game, we can safely assume there is some truth in his words. Of course, he certainly isn't giving us the whole story, since he's trying to get the murder machine going.

Any thoughts on who this mysterious "traitor" could be? We don't have much to go on yet, but here's some thoughts.

- Togami is a possibility, since it would explain why he's back in the school even after escaping in the first game. Perhaps he inserted himself into this class in order to free it from the Despair group's control. It might also explain why he's pretending not to recognize Monobear, since the bear indicated that he doesn't know who the traitor is, and Togami might not want to blow his cover.

- Hinata is another possibility, since the reason why his memory was wiped may have been to make him believe that he was just another student at Hope's Peak, when he's actually a plant. Of course, this begs the question of why he was planted into his class to begin with.

- A third option for the identity of the "traitor" might be Nagito, because of his repeated talent of Good Luck. Assuming that these students are the same age as the first game's class, then it's a bit strange that there would be two "Good Luck" students in the same class. Of course, since Monobear mentioned that "several" years of memories were wiped, the possibility that they're an older or younger class is still on the table.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

What are you talking about? They were totally pissed when they figured it out.

Only about as pissed as the kids were in this update, and these guys don't even know what they are missing yet.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Watch, after the first murder:

"But it was worth it! I got rid of the traitor!"

"Eh? You got rid of someone who didn't exist? That's amazing!"

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Monobear's claiming not to know the person that's not supposed to be there pretty definitively rules a Junko comeback out unless somehow Togami's a part of two classes at the same school.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Still no ticking-clock explanation. Saving that for a later motivation, I guess.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012

Wyvernil posted:

- A third option for the identity of the "traitor" might be Nagito, because of his repeated talent of Good Luck. Assuming that these students are the same age as the first game's class, then it's a bit strange that there would be two "Good Luck" students in the same class. Of course, since Monobear mentioned that "several" years of memories were wiped, the possibility that they're an older or younger class is still on the table.

quote:

"This year, we decided to accept one student chosen by lottery from among each and every one of the country's regular high school students."
"As a result, we invite you to attend our school as a person possessing "Super High-school Level Good Luck"."

From the first update of DR1. Maybe it's the translation, but by saying 'this year we decided to do this', it seems to imply that a lottery for SHSL Good Luck isn't a thing they'd done before Naegi, and it was very clear that they only picked one student. I don't think they pick a SHSL Good Luck every year, which makes Nagito really conspicuous with that talent unless this is after DR1.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
One point I want to note that may be important is that Monobear seems to imply a sort of chronology in his reveal that the class is supposed to be 15 students. 15 students were supposed to be sent to this island. The implication is that the "field trip" would be happening anyways without the 16th being present. If we assume that the 16th is the Hope-mastermind, this chronology relieves a minor difficulty: how the students got to the island in the first place. They could have been sent there totally separate from any Monomi-related plans, been infiltrated afterwards, then mind-wiped.

The only difficulty I'd spotted with accusing Togami of being the Hope-mastermind is that he seems genuinely mystified what's going on with Jabberwock Island. But if he arrived at the island before the hope game started and has since retained his memories, he might have a totally unrelated reason to be investigating it.

Wyvernil posted:

- Togami is a possibility, since it would explain why he's back in the school even after escaping in the first game. Perhaps he inserted himself into this class in order to free it from the Despair group's control. It might also explain why he's pretending not to recognize Monobear, since the bear indicated that he doesn't know who the traitor is, and Togami might not want to blow his cover.

- Hinata is another possibility, since the reason why his memory was wiped may have been to make him believe that he was just another student at Hope's Peak, when he's actually a plant. Of course, this begs the question of why he was planted into his class to begin with.

Actually, with these developments the problem of Nagito just keeps building; I frankly still have no idea what to make of him. It was pointed out that it's contradictory for him to treat his knowledge of the class as being from online research, because then he'd realize Togami isn't part of the group. Obvious fix: whatever Togami is up to, he's a co-conspirator. Still, the fact is on the table, and not just for us reasoning from the omniscient point-of-view of the readers but in-universe for the characters, that he stated publicly that he researched every member of this class, and so if Monobear is telling the truth that there's a non-class-member amidst them then he's lying about something and must have gotten some of his knowledge from somewhere else.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Kind of odd that Monobear's not offering any proof. It should be pretty easy. Just point out that they're an inch or two taller than they remember, or that they've gotten a haircut in between their first day of highschool and now, or something.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Sonia posted:

Monobear's really let the cat out of the frying pan and into the fire, hasn’t he?

I've gotta know, was this very different in Japanese? I don't know much about their idioms, but cat out of the frying pan is a fantastic mixed-up metaphor, so kudos on that choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Carrasco posted:

Kind of odd that Monobear's not offering any proof. It should be pretty easy. Just point out that they're an inch or two taller than they remember, or that they've gotten a haircut in between their first day of highschool and now, or something.

COUNTERPOINT: Anime hairstyles do not change unless it's to symbolize a dramatic moment of profound character development :colbert:

• Locked thread