Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

orenronen posted:

...You know what, I like that enough that (pending Fedule approval), I'm going to retroactively edit it into the translation.

Given that I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it first, no objections here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Now I'm wondering whether the trials are going to have a space for Monomi. Would be a shame to leave her out!

I would be less than surprised if Monomi were the judge and executioner at the trials. Assuming that they're not controlled by the same person, and even if they are, it wouldn't be too terribly hard to write in her moral outrage that the kids started killing each other which would be offset by Monobear's smugness.

Monomi's justice might be even more heavy handed than Monobear (at least for the first trial) in an effort to shock the kids into never dreaming about hurting one another ever again.

You expect Monobear to crush Togami under the weight of his geneaology records... but you don't expect Monomi to make hamsters eat Gundam from the inside out.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

orenronen posted:

I'm not going to explain it further than "Sonia makes an untranslatable language mistake" and that I think we kept the spirit
Speaking of untranslatable stuff, I was almost disappointed nobody asked about the last part of Junko's tirade regarding virgins a few DR/Zero updates back. That one was even more untranslatable (though I guess I did a good job if no one pointed it out), but I like the original so much that I'm going to reprint it here too, for the few of you who can appreciate it:

「……話変わるけどさ、童貞って最悪じゃない? 董卓と字が似てるってトコ以外は、丸っきり最悪じゃない? と言っても、その董卓ですらしょせんは呂布のかませ犬な訳だけども、それでもやっぱり童貞よりは董卓の方が何兆倍も素敵よね。……で、何の話だっけ? あぁ、そうそう……ん、曹操の話? それじゃあ、ちょっくら黒山軍の反乱あたりの話から振り返ってみると――」

I assume Junko was saying that the kanji for "virginity" is similar to that of Dong Zhou and then went off a tangent on other characters in the Romance of Three Kingdoms? In that case, the English translation can probably do something similar with Virgil.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Jeek posted:

I assume Junko was saying that the kanji for "virginity" is similar to that of Dong Zhou and then went off a tangent on other characters in the Romance of Three Kingdoms? In that case, the English translation can probably do something similar with Virgil.
...or "Dong Zhou." I can think of at least two dozen crude puns about virginity and Dong Zhou dong zoos.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
A small announcement has been made in the DR1 thread. It concerns something you may already know, but will definitely be excited to hear!

Please confine your discussion of that particular topic to that particular thread. Thanks!

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.

Zyxyz posted:

The one problem I still have is that Nidai and Togami don’t have a “normal” sprite in the set that I’m using (they have two walking frames as opposed to a standing frame and a walking frame), and I’m unsure whether to edit those sprites or leave them as they are.

Does this work? I took one half from each of the two walking frames and put them together. I had to extend Nidai's right (our left) leg by one pixel, though.

Great job on the perler bead artwork!

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
EDIT: warning- this post contains inaccuracies & misinformation

orenronen posted:

I'm not going to explain it further than "Sonia makes an untranslatable language mistake" and that I think we kept the spirit or the joke, but for anyone who knows Japanese and is interested, this is the original exchange:

Sonia: …とんだ吸った揉んだでしたね。
Teruteru: …その字って合ってる?
Souda: 仕方ねーだろ…外国の方なんだからよ…

I ran this by my friend who's way better at Japanese than me (he's not fluent though). The way he described how the original exchange goes does give a bit of an interesting contrast to how Teruteru and Sonia have been interacting, so I thought it might be worth mentioning.

He said he couldn't exactly explain how, but Sonia somehow managed to mangle whatever she was trying to say into something about sucking and groping. Teruteru is subsequently just kind of like "What the hell? Are you using the right words?" Considering all his earlier inappropriate jokes, I think it's interesting to see him suddenly put off like this.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 7, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I ran this by my friend who's way better at Japanese than me (he's not fluent though). The way he described how the original exchange goes does give a bit of an interesting contrast to how Teruteru and Sonia have been interacting, so I thought it might be worth mentioning.

He said he couldn't exactly explain how, but Sonia somehow managed to mangle whatever she was trying to say into something about sucking and groping. Teruteru is subsequently just kind of like "What the hell? Are you using the right words?" Considering all his earlier inappropriate jokes, I think it's interesting to see him suddenly put off like this.

That's not what's going on. Sigh - I thought I wouldn't need to explain this in detail (explaining jokes is never fun), but here goes.

Sonia is trying to use the expression 擦った揉んだ, "sutta monda" which means something like "a great fuss" or "much quarreling". This is a literary expression, made up of the not often used verb 擦る "suru" - "to chafe" and the verb 揉む "momu" - "to rub". Sonia made the mistake thinking the first verb in the expression is 吸う "suu" - "to inhale", because it's much more common and has the exact same form as "suru" in the inflection used in our expression. This specific mistake seems to actually be quite common, even among Japanese people! -- I've seen it in the kind of "you might not know it, but you're wrong about your own language" type of prescriptive language books for native speakers.

Hanamura's line is an innocent "Are you sure you're using the right character?". The meta-joke is that when spoken out loud, there is no way to know which one she's thinking of. They may have given this line to Hanamura because it's an expression that mentions rubbing/groping, but if so - I think it's secondary to the main joke.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 7, 2013

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Ah okay. Sorry I made you come out and explain it! Sometimes my buddy is kinda dumb but there are rare moments I can't really tell. :shobon:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I am suddenly filled with pity and admiration for my sister, who decided to learn Japanese :stare: Don't get me wrong, I think all the above makes Japanese a fascinating language, but me am too dumb to speak anything but English, thanks. I think this was asked before, but if it was, I forgot the answer; where are you from, orenoren, if I may ask?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

I forgot the answer; where are you from, orenoren, if I may ask?

I tend to avoid this subject whenever I can, though it's not really a secret. It's mentioned in the Retsutalk episode I guested in.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sixteen kids, one of whom shouldn't be there, and you don't know who it is?

Monobear, you're a pretty poo poo headmaster if you can't even recognize your own students.

Unless the sixteenth is a student of Hope's Peak Academy but wasn't supposed to come.

But... why would you take fifteen kids, fly them to a desert island, wipe their memories, and then say "let's all be friends!" I could kind of understand if this was like the Hope's Peak equivalent of extreme behavioral intervention. Everyone does seem a little prickly in their own way, except maybe for Sonia.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CommissarMega posted:

I am suddenly filled with pity and admiration for my sister, who decided to learn Japanese :stare: Don't get me wrong, I think all the above makes Japanese a fascinating language, but me am too dumb to speak anything but English, thanks. I think this was asked before, but if it was, I forgot the answer; where are you from, orenoren, if I may ask?

Grasping the basics isn't too daunting (I'm doing it myself) and some people immerse themselves in the language (spending time in Japan, listening to Japanese music, watching Japanese TV etc) so they pick a lot of stuff up by just hearing it over and over again, the same way most of us learnt whatever our first language is.

Kanji is terrifying however.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Glazius posted:

Monobear, you're a pretty poo poo headmaster if you can't even recognize your own students.

Unless the sixteenth is a student of Hope's Peak Academy but wasn't supposed to come.

But... why would you take fifteen kids, fly them to a desert island, wipe their memories, and then say "let's all be friends!" I could kind of understand if this was like the Hope's Peak equivalent of extreme behavioral intervention. Everyone does seem a little prickly in their own way, except maybe for Sonia.

Assuming Monobear is even telling the truth about there being a traitor in the group, why would he reveal their identity right away? The most likely outcome would be his ally getting killed, giving him an early murder trial but losing one of his tools. Much better to make the students suspicious of each other, giving rise to fear, paranoia, and yes, despair.

njsykora posted:

Kanji is terrifying however.

Hey now, he's pretty cool once you get to know him!

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Glazius posted:

I think Monobear knows who the "traitor" is, but he is just trying to get the students to start murdering.

It is intriguing how the player and the character would interpret that differently though - We, having seen DR1, would immediately know that Togami is out of place, while the students would probably suspect the amnesiac Hinata.

Last but not the least, Monobear only says there is a traitor among the students, but did not say that he/she works for him. It would be interesting if that traitor is somehow actually against Monobear, which would make a nice ironic twist.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Phelddagrif posted:

Assuming Monobear is even telling the truth about there being a traitor in the group, why would he reveal their identity right away? The most likely outcome would be his ally getting killed, giving him an early murder trial but losing one of his tools. Much better to make the students suspicious of each other, giving rise to fear, paranoia, and yes, despair.
As Jeek said above, we have no clues that the traitor is even working for Monobear. I think the traitor is working for Monomi actually. Monobear is just talking in a away that makes people suspicious and start thinking that there is someone working with him.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

CommissarMega posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think all the above makes Japanese a fascinating language

It's just a kanji homophone joke, technically speaking there might as well be a "baited breath" kind of thing there. There are better reasons to find Japanese interesting.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

orenronen posted:

That's not what's going on. Sigh - I thought I wouldn't need to explain this in detail (explaining jokes is never fun), but here goes.

Sonia is trying to use the expression 擦った揉んだ, "sutta monda" which means something like "a great fuss" or "much quarreling". This is a literary expression, made up of the not often used verb 擦る "suru" - "to chafe" and the verb 揉む "momu" - "to rub". Sonia made the mistake thinking the first verb in the expression is 吸う "suu" - "to inhale", because it's much more common and has the exact same form as "suru" in the inflection used in our expression. This specific mistake seems to actually be quite common, even among Japanese people! -- I've seen it in the kind of "you might not know it, but you're wrong about your own language" type of prescriptive language books for native speakers.

Hanamura's line is an innocent "Are you sure you're using the right character?". The meta-joke is that when spoken out loud, there is no way to know which one she's thinking of. They may have given this line to Hanamura because it's an expression that mentions rubbing/groping, but if so - I think it's secondary to the main joke.
So basically, it would've been the same as misspelling "Fire" as "Fyre" and Hanamura saying that it's spelled with an I? Or is that mistake not common enough to match the original joke?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

SingerOfW posted:

So basically, it would've been the same as misspelling "Fire" as "Fyre" and Hanamura saying that it's spelled with an I? Or is that mistake not common enough to match the original joke?
No, because that mistake isn't using an entirely incorrect word which sounds like the original but ends up making a kind of dirty pun. That's not even close.

It's more like when retards say "for all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes," only if "for all intensive purposes" made the phrase mean "for all a lot of blowjobs." And then a perverted teenage master chef subtly calls you out on unintentionally offering everyone a lot of blowjobs.

Basically, it doesn't happen very much in English. The joke is lost in translation. Now it's horribly unfunny because it had to be explained to death. This may be why orenronen seems to not want to go back and explain every last little barely translateable joke/pun translation decision. It makes things less funny.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 7, 2013

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Now it's horribly unfunny because it had to be explained to death. This may be why orenronen seems to not want to go back and explain every last little barely translateable joke/pun translation decision. It makes things less funny.
Except that this joke wasn't even in the update, so I'm not sure why anyone should be angry about it.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Well hey it seems like its either people talking about the translation or talking making predictions into the far future of the game. I'll take the former.

I'm liking that monomi is sticking around, while despair despair despair monobear is fun, it might be interesting to have something else at trials and such.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

I really, REALLY hope this hasn't been covered before earlier in the thread - it's a minor point of translation and this is a pretty huge thread, both things that made me hesitate to make this post - but I think it's worth mentioning.

Teruteru mentions that he's a Super High School Level Cook (Ryoukan?), but that he thinks the phrase "Chef" (in English) is more dignified?

I have a degree in Culinary Arts, meaning basically that I'm a Super College Level Cook. :chef: I am NOT a chef. I do not pretend to be a chef. Cooks cook food. Often very well, but that's all. Chefs de Cusine are not only cooks but restaurant managers and menu planners.

Chefs run restaurants; Cooks work for chefs.

What I got out of the "Chef is more dignified!" line of Teruteru's is one of two things:

1: He's actually a chef, not a cook, or
2: He's so full of himself and/or poo poo that he calls himself a chef without qualifications.

Without knowing his free-time events I can't say one way or the other, but it's definitely something to keep in mind going forward!

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Bliss Authority posted:

What I got out of the "Chef is more dignified!" line of Teruteru's is one of two things:

2: He's so full of himself and/or poo poo that he calls himself a chef without qualifications.

Something tells me that it's the second option, considering how he has acted so far in the game. I mean, I know this is Dangan Ronpa/anime and all, but running a restaurant would probably be too much for a high school student.

Also, saying that you're a chef makes you sound a lot cooler then saying that you're a cook, so maybe that's part of the reason too.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Carlioo posted:

Also, saying that you're a chef makes you sound a lot cooler then saying that you're a cook, so maybe that's part of the reason too.

Wait, you're telling me he has other reasons to call himself a chef besides that. That line of his made me think that was his only justification to call himself a chef and not a cook.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Bliss Authority posted:

I have a degree in Culinary Arts, meaning basically that I'm a Super College Level Cook. :chef: I am NOT a chef. I do not pretend to be a chef. Cooks cook food. Often very well, but that's all. Chefs de Cusine are not only cooks but restaurant managers and menu planners.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but he does seem to have three stars on his apron...

(Granted, those stars don't look very similar to Michelin's, but that could potentially be a copyright dodge.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bliss Authority posted:

I really, REALLY hope this hasn't been covered before earlier in the thread - it's a minor point of translation and this is a pretty huge thread, both things that made me hesitate to make this post - but I think it's worth mentioning.

Teruteru mentions that he's a Super High School Level Cook (Ryoukan?), but that he thinks the phrase "Chef" (in English) is more dignified?

Without knowing his free-time events I can't say one way or the other, but it's definitely something to keep in mind going forward!

He is a cook. He's not really full of himself as he explained he just thinks Chef sounds better, he likely does not know the meaning of the word chef or what they do.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 7, 2013

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

He is a cook. He's not really full of himself as he explained he just thinks Chef sounds better, he likely does not know the meaning of the word chef or what they do.

The super-high school level cook probably knows the difference between a cook and a chef.

Keep in mind he's not saying '<japanese word for cook> sounds way less dignified than <japanese word for chef>'. He's just saying 'chef'.

Is there a difference in the Japanese language/culinary culture between cook and chef?

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
Chef is to cook as Illusionist is to magician.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Carlioo posted:

Something tells me that it's the second option, considering how he has acted so far in the game. I mean, I know this is Dangan Ronpa/anime and all, but running a restaurant would probably be too much for a high school student.
But managing major branches of an international financial conglomerate as well as several of your own startups isn't?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Maybe he's a SHSL Cook because that's where his natural talents lie and so why he was approached by Hope's Peak, but his goals and ambitions lie more towards being a chef and running a restaurant? We've seen plenty of times in DR1 where the kids have goals that aren't necessarily utilizing their talent (directly or at all) and I'd think going from cook to chef is less a leap than others that we've seen.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Patware posted:

The super-high school level cook probably knows the difference between a cook and a chef.

Yeah, but maybe the writers/developers don't

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."

CommissarMega posted:

I think this was asked before, but if it was, I forgot the answer; where are you from, orenoren, if I may ask?

There are, unfortunately, people who would make a big deal out of this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
^^^ Yeah, it is sad how people make a big fuss out of such thing. I would have never spoken a word on that if I was in Orenronen's situation.

Bliss Authority posted:

Would you consider making DR-themed food (fanfood?) in the foreseeable future? :allears:

EDIT: Oh, and do check out GWC while you are here.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 8, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, now I feel bad for asking :( Sorry if I touched a nerve, orenoren. If it helps, I'm Muslim and I think you're okay.

Moving on to comparitively lighter things:

RentACop posted:

Yeah, but maybe the writers/developers don't

What if they do? It stands to reason that the kids might be proud of what they are, but it's also reasonable that Teruteru might have even higher aspirations, or is just really vain (plausible, considering how much of a player he thinks he is). I can certainly see something like that being what sets him off- and considering that he's got a whole kitchen of stuff to work with he can be surprisingly dangerous. It doesn't even have to be knives and forks- I'm thinking a SHSL Cook would know how to make literally killer food, or be good at spotting food-related allergies or something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Patware posted:

Keep in mind he's not saying '<japanese word for cook> sounds way less dignified than <japanese word for chef>'. He's just saying 'chef'.

Is there a difference in the Japanese language/culinary culture between cook and chef?

I mean he may not know what the English word Chef means. He probably thinks it means the same thing he just likes the sound better. He may have goals to run a restaurant in the future however.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.

Jeek posted:

Would you consider making DR-themed food (fanfood?) in the foreseeable future? :allears:

I would REALLY want to see some kind of rice/mushroom dish with the face of monobear in it :haw:. Add some delicious red substance when you have to make the eyes and it's gonna be amazing

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The dust in the room was thrown up in the air, along with a roaring, ground-rumbling noise. The colorful cans of paint that were lined on the shelves had splattered their contents all over the walls and the ceiling, making the inside of the shed seem like it was lifted straight out of Wonderland.

I inhaled some of the dust, and managed to cough violently while giving a sigh of relief. I had predicted that Madarai’s vigilant nature wouldn’t let him leave the vacuum cleaner alone right after hearing about a dust explosion. It seems I was right.

I threw the shed’s window open, grabbed a shovel and stepped carefully toward the fallen shelves in order to check the condition of the crushed boy. I had to feign bravery while I was confronting him, but my feet were still shaking with nervousness. The hand holding the shovel was already dripping with sweat.

“Hello...?”

I peeked nervously through the gap in the shelves, and saw Madarai pressed between them and the floor, as if he was the filling of a strange sandwich. It seemed he was still conscious, though, because he managed to look at me weakly.

“I...I can’t believe I fell for that...” It seemed talking was painful for him, perhaps because his chest was under heavy pressure. “B...But... why wasn’t there an explosion? T...There must have been static electricity and sparks from such a huge impact...”

“Ah. This is cement powder, so it won’t explode,” I answered, still brandishing the shovel.

“...Cement powder?”

I adjusted my hold on the shovel, and opened my notebook with my free hand.

“Um, let’s see... The necessary conditions for a dust explosion are flammable dust, oxygen, and a source of fire... But cement powder isn’t oxidized so it doesn’t burn. In other words, it isn’t flammable dust so it can’t cause a dust explosion... That seems to be the explanation.”

“And you... knew all that...”

“It seems the old man in charge of this shed really loves to talk... He sometimes catches random people and makes them listen to him ramble on... By the way, don’t you think it’s kinda shady that he told all that to a random high-school girl? But, I guess it ended up saving my life so I should go thank him once this is over...”

I flipped through my notebook some more, and continued.

“Anyway, it seems this old man is really into DIY projects, and loves to build anything that isn’t too complicated on his own. It looks like that’s why he bought a large amount of cement powder, and stored it here in this shed.”

“A...And you used that as a decoy...”

“Yes. I wanted you to pull that vacuum cleaner.”

I dropped my eyes to the notebook again and nodded vigorously.

“Ah! By the way, have you heard of a movie called Home Alone? I used one of the traps from it as a basis for this one. I tied the vacuum cleaner and the shelves together with a rope, so that when you pull the vacuum cleaner the shelves come down after it... Oh, that’s right -- the dust’s secondary purpose was to keep the rope hidden. I used a white rope, you see...”

“...You can stop now.” Madarai interrupted me with a weak voice. “S...So... was this trap the ace up your sleeve...?”

“No... I have a different one. After all, in Home Alone, it wasn’t Culkin-kun who ultimately stopped the robbers. It was the adults who came to save him. It was that way in both the first and the second movies. So, you see -- the ace up my sleeve would be when someone comes to save me and...”

“...Yes, I get it. Please stop.” Madarai twisted his face as if he was getting bored. “B...But, don’t you think it’s still early for you to think you’ve won?”

“...Huh?” His strange expression caught my attention, and I couldn’t help returning a question. “Um... what do you mean?”

“I...I mean I haven’t shown you... the ace up my sleeve yet...”, leaving those words, Madarai finally sank into silence. He didn’t reply even when I prodded him - it seemed he had lost his consciousness.

I had the feeling something was left half-baked, but since my notebook also taught me there’s a chance I might catch pneumoconiosis if I inhale too much dust, I decided to first get out of the shed. Well, I guess the school’s security department can take care of things later. I’ll leave it to them to apprehend that strange boy - once they do, it’s all going to be over. He committed the serious crime of assaulting a woman, so I think they’re going to expel him from the school. And that means I’ll never see him aga--

“...Bugyuuu!”

The person who let out a groan like a small animal being stepped on -- was me.

I felt a sharp pain on my throat.

Something rugged was tightened around it, making it impossible to breathe.

-- What?
-- What’s going on?

Even deep in confusion, I could tell there was a black telephone pole in front of my eyes.

-- Wait, why a telephone pole?

I looked up, my thoughts becoming even more confused -- and saw a white face on top of the tall and narrow telephone pole. It appeared to be a man’s face. Furthermore, it was a face I recognized. There are some things even someone as forgetful as me can recognize. I mean, that face --

Was the face of the man who was supposed to be unconscious under a stack of shelves - it was Madarai’s face.

“...You seem surprised.”

He wasn’t injured. Even his clothes were perfectly clean.

“I think I know what you’re thinking. ‘Why is the man I just took down inside the shed now standing here strangling me?’... Am I right?” A cruel smile tore through Madarai’s face. “To make things short, this is the ace up my sleeve. Well, a part of it, anyway.”

His eyes, narrow to their limit, were fixed on me. They were oily and glittering.

“Well, then. I think I’ll begin by breaking your arms and legs. It’s going to hurt for just a little while, so please endure it patiently. Hmm, maybe I should wait until you lose consciousness... It’s going to be a bother if you start screaming.”

His tone of voice was more composed than cruel. It was clear it wouldn’t be any use at all begging for my life.

Madarai applied even more strength into the hand that was strangling me, and I felt my consciousness slowly slipping away. I felt emptiness, as if my very own self was fading away, as each and every sensation was eradicated from my body.

I couldn’t say anything anymore.

I couldn’t breathe anymore.

I couldn’t make any predictions anymore.

My notebook dropped from my hand. My eyes became hazy, my vision blurred. In front of my eyes, both the scenery and Madarai himself became twisted.

That’s right. Twisted.

Madarai’s body twisted, then flipped upside down as if it was drawing an arc in the air. Then, with a loud, thick sound, it crashed down on the ground head first.

That’s what I saw.

From within my vanishing consciousness, which flickered in and out like a candle, I couldn’t tell if it was reality or a dream -- but nevertheless, I saw it.

“Guuuuuuu...”

Grunting like a trampled frog, Madarai quickly regained his posture. Then, the moment he jumped back up, his eyes were drawn to his right arm, and he stared at it, transfixed.

His right arm, from the elbow down...
...Was unnaturally twisted, like bent licorice candy.

At first, he just stared at it with a confused expression on his face. Then, as though he suddenly remembered how to, he raised his voice in a terrible scream.

“HIGYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!”

His voice was a mixture of confusion, terror and pain. It came out with such a force, that it almost seemed like he squeezed out every bit of air out of his body.

I heard that dreadful scream, but all I could do was stand there, dumbfounded. No, I didn’t even know if I was still standing up, or if I fell to the ground. I couldn’t understand anything that was going on. And then, I heard a voice I also could not understand.

“Upupu. I may have overdone it, just a little bit.”

I’m not even sure I can call it a voice. A noise might be a more appropriate description.

“...Well, it’s not like I had any choice. It would be a pain for me if you died here. After all, you’re the protagonist of this story, at least for now.”

That’s when I noticed it.

I wonder how I could have missed it until now.

There was a pitch-black silhouette standing right before me. And on top of that black silhouette floated a face I remembered seeing somewhere before.

...But I couldn’t remember. I couldn’t remember whose face it was.

“Upupu. You don’t remember who I am, do you, you bastard? I guess that’s just natural. But don’t worry - I’m sure you’ll come to remember soon enough.” After saying that in a laughing tone, the voice coming out of the shadow turned lower. “...But first, there’s something that still requires taking care of here.”

What happened next...
...Started before I knew what was going on, and ended in a split second.

First, there was a hand on top of Madarai’s head. He was still on the ground, screaming. The hand started stroking his head, gently. Madarai looked up with a surprised expression on his face, when suddenly... there was a snapping noise and his head, fixed with the same expression, began to spin. Finally, it stopped at an inexplicable angle.

Madarai collapsed on the ground before he knew what was happening to him. He spitted red foam at my feet, his body convulsing in short spasms.

-- Ah. This is just a dream.

That was the conclusion my mind reached then and there, and I could feel my body strangely relax. Yes, it couldn’t be anything else. This scene is so far removed from reality, it can’t possibly be anything but a dream.

“Upupupu.”

Even that laughing voice echoing deep inside my ears... just a dream.

Before I knew what was happening, the black shadow was once again standing right in front of me. But, this is also definitely a dream.

The face floating on top of the shadow, who I was sure I’ve seen before, started talking again. “Until you can remember better, you should call me... Super High-school Level Despair. Yeah, I think that fits. Upupupu.”

The eyes on that face were excessively dark. In fact, they looked more like holes than eyes. I stared at them blankly, and felt as if my consciousness was being sucked up into their void. Inside the holes was a bottomless swamp, full of black mud. My entire body was quickly drenched in it, as I was slowly consumed by something that wasn’t myself.

Then, I heard a voice from somewhere far away.

“See you soon, you bastard! When we meet again, I’ll kill you properly!”

It was a small voice, coming from far away, but at the same time it seemed like it was also whispering directly inside my ears.

-- This sure is a strange dream.

With that last thought, I finally became totally submerged inside the bottomless swamp, and then my consciousness was completely lost.

“......Hm?”, the girl tilted her neck.

“......Hm? Hm? Hm?”, Junko Enoshima tilted her neck grandiosely.

“Hmmmmm... It’s great that I came back and all, but... what’s going on here?”

She swayed up from her crouching posture. There was something right in front of her eyes. It was a dead body. A man, his neck and arms twisted in a strange way.

“Um... Let’s see. This guy is...” She raised her hand to her chin, and closed her eyes tightly, posing like a great detective on the verge of a huge deduction. After a short period of indecision, Junko Enoshima suddenly raised her voice in a cheer. “Oh, I remember! That’s right, his name was Madarai! By the way, that’s silly of me -- forgetting who someone I just killed myself is... I hope that forgetfulness of hers isn’t contagious. Just kidding! Aha! Ahahahahaha!”

Enoshima’s laughter echoed through the night sky, and seemed to pile up on top of itself. It was as if there were more than one of her, laughing in simultaneous chorus.

But, the next moment, her laughter stopped. Her face turned sullen, as if she suddenly got tired of laughing.

“There’s also the issue of that other missing body... Honestly, where did that old geezer go...?”

Suddenly, she was laughing again. There was a wide smile on her face, as if she had suddenly tired of sullenness.

“Well, it’s not like it matters where he disappeared to, right? Upupu, I am so despair-inducingly great at planning plans!”

The second her declaration was done, her face turned sullen yet again.

“But, it’s so unsatisfying when your plans always succeed... Whose fault is this? Is anyone going to take responsibility?”

Her expression changed with every sentence that came out of her mouth, but none of it was an act. Every time, it reflected her true feelings. Despair-inducing capriciousness - that’s what she was all about.

“Super High-school Level Despair”, Junko Enoshima.

With the sullen expression still on her face, Enoshima trotted towards Madarai’s dead body. “It’s your fault, y’know. Take that!” She started thrusting her tiptoes into the body. “Hey, say something! What’s up with being so easy to kill?! You should’ve at least made an effort to disrupt my plans! How can I possibly despair like that?!”

At that point, she suddenly changed her voice. “I...It hurts! I’m sorryyyyyy!”, she mimicked the dead Madarai’s voice, as if she was on a morbid ventriloquism show. “Enoshima-sama! Please forgive me!” She continued kicking the body as she spoke for it with a comical, over-dramatic voice. Dark-red liquid came flowing out of the body’s mouth. “I’ll repent by committing suicide, so please forgive me!”

Enoshima returned to her normal voice. “But you can’t do that! You’re already dead!”. Having delivered her grand punchline, she stepped hard on Madarai’s face.

Splat. A thick sound of something being crashed echoed through the air.

“Upupupupupupupupupupupu!”

Enoshima laughed a loud vulgar laugh, as if her one-woman show was the funniest thing she’d ever heard. Nevertheless, she soon got tired of that too, and her face returned to its original expression.

“Well, then... I guess I have to call that pitiful sister of mine, and ask her to clean things up over here.”

-- First, I’ll have her take care of this dirty body.
-- Then, she’ll have to clean up inside that shed, too.

“And finally, I just have to carry Ryouko Otonashi-chan to her beloved boyfriend, and my work here will be done!”

Having confirmed her immediate plans to herself, Enoshima started laughing again, as if she had just remembered something funny.

“Upupupupupupupupupupupupu!!”

She laughed vulgarly and grandiosely, facing the sky, both her arms spread to her sides. Her cruel, gruesome laughter echoed high in the night sky. There was no coherence to it, nor any necessity or sentiment.

That was what “Super High-school Level Despair” Junko Enoshima was all about.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
:stare: Well there goes SHSL Snake-man. Sweet dreams cold blooded prince.

Anyway this book is basically Monobear Begins. I wonder when Junko finds the symbol that she will use to deliver despair into SHSL students who are a superstitious and cowardly lot.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Junko may not have spoken as much this time, but she remains as creepy as ever. It is interesting how Ryouko cannot describe her face properly this time, however.

And one question: Is "Upupu" a normal laugh for Japanese? I don't want to get punched (or worse) for staring at someone laughing innocuously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
No, upupu is not a normal laugh.

If Junko could've killed him like that, why bother with wacky chase antics?

• Locked thread