Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Is this novel actually important to DR2? Because frankly it's so poorly written that lately I'm skipping over it. I mean, the game isn't well-written either so far but at least it's got pretty pictures to keep my attention. It's nothing to do with your translation, oren, that's always been excellent in the first game. I might be alone but my eyes glaze over after a minute or two of the novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

eating only apples posted:

Is this novel actually important to DR2? Because frankly it's so poorly written that lately I'm skipping over it. I mean, the game isn't well-written either so far but at least it's got pretty pictures to keep my attention. It's nothing to do with your translation, oren, that's always been excellent in the first game. I might be alone but my eyes glaze over after a minute or two of the novel.

I think we're slowly reaching that consensus. I'm still soldiering through it, though.

And I don't want to keep harping on it or anything, but--

DR0 posted:

“He should be here soon,” she whispered.

The girl was waiting for someone.

:monocle:

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

eating only apples posted:

You're definitely not alone. DR0 is just not entertaining and I don't care what happens in it because I hate every character in it and I also hate its writing style.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I figured that it was inevitable that Kirigiri show up in DR0. Glad she's back.

What gave you that idea? :confused: I would think that her hands would have to already be burned, since she's going to have to forget the events of DR0 later, but she remembers her burned hands in DR1.

I stupidly assumed that a person with burnt hands and gloves wouldn't be able to really feel much, but after some research and the posts here I guess I ended up terribly wrong. And it doesn't gel with was told in DR1 anyway.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Still can't decide if it's Hanamura as the culprit or not. The signs point to him but I can't tell if it's misdirection or if I'm imagining misdirection because it's Fukuyama Jun of all people and I don't expect him to be killed off so 'easily' - although it might well be part of the misdirection in itself.

I'm going to resign to Hanamura being the culprit. If only because this is a very tutorially case. Probably going to be straight forward with no real twists that haven't already been figured out.

I'm pretty sure by this point I've read DR fanfiction with more enthrall than DR0. But it is apparently part of this story in some way so I'm going soldier on.

Dejablue fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 18, 2013

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I guess I'm in the minority as someone who actually likes DR0, I don't hate the characters( the only one I don't care about is Matsuda, but I don't hate him), heck I actually like Ryouko. Also this novel is making me learn stuff about the series world and stuff that was left unanswered in the first game so I enjoy that.

Well it might be because I don't really mind the Light Novel style of writing, so that stuff doesn't annoy me as much as it does to some people.

And oren has already said many times that this is very important to the series so you could stop asking. If people want to drop it someone can make like a summary of the whole thing when it's over to those people I guess.

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 18, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I found that what I do with DR0 is wait until maybe 3-4 updates have gone through and then read them in a row. I don't think novels (well-written or not) do well in small chunks and my initial attempts to read it that way made me hate it. I'm still not thrilled with it (not due to translation, it's just not very interesting) but it's a lot easier to read in a larger chunk instead of a smaller one.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Adelheid posted:

You're definitely not alone. DR0 is just not entertaining and I don't care what happens in it because I hate every character in it and I also hate its writing style.

How can you not be interested by the exciting developments between Matsuda-kun and Ryouko-san!?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't hate the characters; I hate how it's written. It's boring to me and dull as dishwater. They managed to make some kind of snake ninja assassin chase scene boring.

I know I'll go back and read the last couple updates but I never felt like "oh man let's see where this goes!" or anything just.... apathy.

Edit: If it wasn't for the fact Oren's already neck deep in it; I'd of suggested that when the events that are important come up he put a translation note explaining the ties between the novel and the game or a simple readers digest version. As it stands we have a super exciting (kinda) mystery about Togami and...

What HelloWinter just posted

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 18, 2013

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think people are forgetting that Dangan Ronpa has a thing for parodying a lot of popular cliches in video games. Yes Junko seems like an invincible villain...and that's because she is. And besides it isn't as if crazy stuff never happened in Dangan Ronpa that should seem impossible, so some guy being crushed by hundreds of falling desks doesn't seem all that insane when you consider the executions. Like how did Celes get burned witch style on a stake? Or what about that bulldozer that destroyed Alter Ego? Don't forget Mondo being made into butter of all things.

If you think Junko is annoying and overpowered as a villain in this, then I have no clue how you feel about Dangan Ronpa after she was revealed as the culprit. Among other things related to her, like taking away specific memories of the school, taking over the vault despite being outnumbered, having a convenient identical twin who isn't actually identical to her, and so on.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

lotus circle posted:

Like how did Celes get burned witch style on a stake?

Technically, she didn't; the fire truck crushed her before she combusted. :v:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

W.T. Fits posted:

Technically, she didn't; the fire truck crushed her before she combusted. :v:
:v: And that makes the execution more probable how?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

lotus circle posted:

If you think Junko is annoying and overpowered as a villain in this, then I have no clue how you feel about Dangan Ronpa after she was revealed as the culprit. Among other things related to her, like taking away specific memories of the school, taking over the vault despite being outnumbered, having a convenient identical twin who isn't actually identical to her, and so on.

For me, it's only because she has more screentime in this. It's not the apparent powers that bug me, it's that everything about her is DESPAIR DESPAIR DESPAIR DESPAIR ANIME REFERENCE DESPAIR DESPAIR DESPAIR DESPAIR ANIME REFERENCE, which was bearable in the small time she had in DR1. She's like that one girl you see on the internet who's LOL SO RANDOM U GAIZ.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I can think of several more reasons why people might not be enjoying her here. For one, in DR1, she had the advantage of shock value, since we were just introduced to her. Another thing that hurts her is that she seems to be getting mostly solo scenes, and that one scene with Ryouko that might as well have been a solo scene. Part of what made her so good in DR1 was that she had 6 characters to bounce off of and to wonder "Holy gently caress what is wrong with this girl?!" She's also far less overt about her mood swinging too.

I mean, I still enjoy her, but I have to admit that I found her more entertaining in the first game.

And HelloWinter, what happened to your avatar? Did you draw that or did someone gift that to you or what?

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 18, 2013

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I wanted to have a Dangan Ronpa avatar for the longest time, so I drew one up the other night out of pure impulse. :sweatdrop:

vvv Not at all! I'm flattered. :3:

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 18, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HelloWinter posted:

I wanted to have a Dangan Ronpa avatar for the longest time, so I drew one up the other night out of pure impulse. :sweatdrop:

It's awesome. :allears:

I might want that DR0 picture as an avatar, would you mind if I used it?

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
I'm kind of getting a less is more vibe from Junko. Just being honest. I guess people don't really care to see her in such high volume.

You drew that avatar yourself, Winter? Thats actually pretty amazing.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
The problem I'm seeing is that DR is mostly a mystery series, but all the mysteries in DR0 have no real attachment to the reader. We find out about the incident almost right away, and when it turns out it's just some kids who died, we don't have any connection to the kids to really care. Plus, most of the things that are happening are because of Junko, so there's really no mystery there either. The only real question we have right now is what happened to Ryouko's memories, but she's so annoying about Matsuda that who cares about what happened to her memories. There's nothing keeping us wondering.

Plus, while I enjoy how crazy overpowered Junko is, I agree that she needs less screen time, or at the very least less descriptions on how despair inducing she is.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
While we're sharing our dumb opinions on the novel, for my part my main problem with it is that I can't tell what the christ is going on. It's like I read a passage and it goes in one eye and out the other with little to nothing being absorbed. The non-Junko dialogue is probably fine, but the narration is like reading a James Joyce book except you don't get any of the references.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
I was wondering Oren, Slowbeef or someone else in this thread, when the translation for the DR0 novel is done and finished being posted is there going to be a e-book version of it going to be posted or is that considered to be :filez:? I asked this question before but didn't get a answer.

Giovanni_Sinclair fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 18, 2013

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012

Redmark posted:

While we're sharing our dumb opinions on the novel, for my part my main problem with it is that I can't tell what the christ is going on. It's like I read a passage and it goes in one eye and out the other with little to nothing being absorbed. The non-Junko dialogue is probably fine, but the narration is like reading a James Joyce book except you don't get any of the references.

Maybe this is what it's like to read a light novel. Or maybe Junko is supposed to read like a crazy and disjointed.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

I was wondering Oren, Slowbeef or someone else in this thread, when the translation for the DR0 novel is done and finished being posted is there going to be a e-book version of it going to be posted or is that considered to be :filez:? I asked this question before but didn't get a answer.

I wouldn't consider it files, personally.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Well, light novels are supposed to be aimed at like middle schoolers, right? I feel like a lot of complaints about its inanity are stemming from that. I think it's written so blandly because it's supposed to be "easy" reading.

or maybe it's so bland because the twist is that Naegi is the author.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conro101 posted:

The problem I'm seeing is that DR is mostly a mystery series, but all the mysteries in DR0 have no real attachment to the reader. We find out about the incident almost right away, and when it turns out it's just some kids who died, we don't have any connection to the kids to really care. Plus, most of the things that are happening are because of Junko, so there's really no mystery there either. The only real question we have right now is what happened to Ryouko's memories, but she's so annoying about Matsuda that who cares about what happened to her memories. There's nothing keeping us wondering.

Plus, while I enjoy how crazy overpowered Junko is, I agree that she needs less screen time, or at the very least less descriptions on how despair inducing she is.

We know of somthing related to the school but I don't think that's the most despair inducing thing ever so I doubt we are getting the whole story.

Also there is a part in this novel that disturbed Oren so that's something that will happen.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

kvltmanifesto posted:

Well, light novels are supposed to be aimed at like middle schoolers, right?

Light novels are generally aimed at terrible otaku.

quote:

I think it's written so blandly because it's supposed to be "easy" reading.

Except it isn't easy reading. The writing style is actively difficult to slog through.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

kvltmanifesto posted:

Well, light novels are supposed to be aimed at like middle schoolers, right? I feel like a lot of complaints about its inanity are stemming from that. I think it's written so blandly because it's supposed to be "easy" reading.

Basically, the theory behind light novels is that by using the short paragraph style to describe a constant stream of dialogue or action while using in-book illustrations to set tone and setting, the author can cram a lot of story into a relatively small amount of text, keeping the reader interested by rapidly advancing the plot. I find that how well this works is heavily reliant on the author's ability to write good characters and dialogue, since most information is coming directly from character interactions. Needless to say, DR0 does not have well-written characters. Further, Light Novel pacing and style are really ill-suited to mystery; the plot advances too quickly to allow the reader to really analyze anything, and the bare-bones descriptive text means that the author must have characters call attention to any clue or plot point he wishes to be noticed. No subtle foreshadowing here.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I kinda get the impression that one's ability to enjoy DR0 is directly tied to one's patience for its writing style. Lord knows I'm sometimes tempted to axe entire swaths of the thing.

If you ask me, the primary draw at this point (albeit one that seems to be somewhat on the backburner while a few characters are established) is the inner workings of Hope's Peak Academy. Dangan Ronpa set the school up as merely some place where some terrible thing happened; it was actually surprisingly unremarkable, save for the symbolic status it had acquired for itself - a setting, nothing more. Zero is showing us more of the people and the politics behind the place, and at first glance seems to be deconstructing the concept of the super elite best-of-the-best-of-the-very-best academy we've been picturing. It sets up the school's operators more as mad scientists than educators, and the whole thing with the prep school adds an extremely cynical backdrop to the institutions noble mission. And, of course, we already know that they're covering up a big incident.

I'll be honest; If I wasn't basically required to comb through the whole book in order to move words around, I'd probably have started skimming by now. At most, I'd continue reading solely out of faith in the writers based on what I've seen of DR1 and DR2, and because Oren keeps hinting that this is all going to be worth it in the end.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm just wondering if DR0's updates are gonna have parity with DR2's; will DR0 conclude by the time we reach the ending of DR2, or will it end waaay before DR2 even comes close to ending?
Because if there's seriously more than a year's worth of updates in that thing, goddamn is it going to be hard to parse the entire novel as a whole.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Calaveron posted:

I'm just wondering if DR0's updates are gonna have parity with DR2's; will DR0 conclude by the time we reach the ending of DR2, or will it end waaay before DR2 even comes close to ending?
Because if there's seriously more than a year's worth of updates in that thing, goddamn is it going to be hard to parse the entire novel as a whole.

I remember Oren saying a few updates back we were roughly half-way through, so I doubt the DR0 updates will still be going when we get to the chapter 2 trial.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

No subtle foreshadowing here.

If anything, I'd say this book is all (relatively) subtle foreshadowing. This is a book that's really enjoyable to read a second time, once you know where it's headed and what's really going on. There's so much here that's hidden in plain sight, it kind of surprises me now how I didn't notice any of it the first time around.

I'll say two more things, though - first, I think the story is going somewhere interesting, and that most of people's complaints about the characters (Kamishiro excluded) are going to disappear once you know why they're really doing the things they do. Second - blame my translation, not the writing. Kodaka's prose is no fine literature, but it's much better than most light novels I've read. It's also extremely Japanese in the way it conveys information, and constantly uses many Japanese grammar tricks that make for a particularly fun narrative but that doesn't directly translate particularly well into English. It kind of reminds me the mental exercises I went through once trying to think how to translate the kind of sentences Robert Rankin (British comedy fantasy writer with a very distinct prose style) writes into my native language.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

orenronen posted:

I'll say two more things, though - first, I think the story is going somewhere interesting, and that most of people's complaints about the characters (Kamishiro excluded) are going to disappear once you know why they're really doing the things they do.
Okay, so it is now official that Kamishiro will remain a big creep until the very end of DR0.

How far are we in the DR0, by the way? It seems to have dragged on since forever and the sooner we are done with it, the gladder I'll be.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Fedule posted:

If you ask me, the primary draw at this point (albeit one that seems to be somewhat on the backburner while a few characters are established) is the inner workings of Hope's Peak Academy. Dangan Ronpa set the school up as merely some place where some terrible thing happened; it was actually surprisingly unremarkable, save for the symbolic status it had acquired for itself - a setting, nothing more. Zero is showing us more of the people and the politics behind the place, and at first glance seems to be deconstructing the concept of the super elite best-of-the-best-of-the-very-best academy we've been picturing. It sets up the school's operators more as mad scientists than educators, and the whole thing with the prep school adds an extremely cynical backdrop to the institutions noble mission. And, of course, we already know that they're covering up a big incident.
One thing that I find fascinating reading the story is that the school looks entirely dysfunctional. Every character introduced so far exists so far outside of reality and has permissions/abilities that are so unbelievable that it feels like the only thing that's holding the Academy together is its prestige. It reads more like it's taking place in an insane asylum than a school, which is actually consistent with what we experienced in DR1. It actually makes DR1's completely unrealistic setting more believable.

Serial killer student, arrogant aristocrat, and successful conman all fit right in here.

EDIT: Also, I love Matsuda's character, but it would be very easy for the writer to drop the ball entirely. I guess I'm more enamored with what he could be than what he is though, because we don't quite know what he is.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 18, 2013

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

orenronen posted:

If anything, I'd say this book is all (relatively) subtle foreshadowing. This is a book that's really enjoyable to read a second time, once you know where it's headed and what's really going on. There's so much here that's hidden in plain sight, it kind of surprises me now how I didn't notice any of it the first time around.

My general experience is that the Light Novel style isn't conducive to subtlety in general. If the payoff is really something special, I will be pleasantly surprised.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I found out some interesting trivia about Ibuki (Don't worry no spoilers) apparently her design is based off an Oni. Her long nosed sprite is just to sell the image further by giving her an Oni like nose as many youkai (no direct English translation, closest I can think of is monster.) have long noses like that.

ittoki
Feb 21, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I found out some interesting trivia about Ibuki (Don't worry no spoilers) apparently her design is based off an Oni. Her long nosed sprite is just to sell the image further by giving her an Oni like nose as many youkai (no direct English translation, closest I can think of is monster.) have long noses like that.

The closest translation for Oni will be "demon". In Japan, there are particularly blue and red demon. There are many folklore involving them. Usually they have horns and fangs. I think his long nose would refer to Tengu

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I can't stay mad at a book that used Home Alone as a plot point. :allears:

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

orenronen posted:

Second - blame my translation, not the writing.

Nah, I disagree, oren. I tried to read the novel in Japanese and gave up because I found it dull at best and excruciating at worst (and I do know some of the spoilers you're indirectly referring to and to me, they don't improve things much). I was incredibly relieved/grateful to see you were translating it in the thread and I think you're doing a fine job now. The quality isn't your fault.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

MonsterEnvy posted:

(Don't worry no spoilers)
It's okay, we weren't.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

That was 50 pages ago I think it's understandable that I missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Trial 5 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 5 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

Um... Excuse me. May I ask a small question?

...What is it, Sonia-san?

I apologize for going back to the previous subject, but there is one thing that still worries me about the night-vision goggles.
If it was Togami who used the goggles, how was the culprit able to conquer the darkness?

I see... if they didn't have the goggles they couldn't see anything.

But, in that case they couldn't have retrieved the knife from under the table, and wouldn't be seen by Togami-kun, would they?

Even if they’d set up some kind of a landmark... they wouldn't be able to see it in that darkness.

On the contrary... the culprit probably did use a landmark.

And it was because of that landmark that they were able to retrieve the knife in the darkness.

Tablecloth / Byakuya Togami / Party food / Glow-in-the-dark paint

I SEE!

What if their landmark was covered in glow-in-the-dark paint? That way they’d have been able to see the knife in the dark.

You see, both the knife that we found under the table...

...and the packing tape that was stuck to its underside were covered with that kind of paint.

Does that mean... that the culprit painted them in advance?

But, that would mean... Wouldn’t they need to have known in advance that the power would go out?

They must have known. That's probably why they used glow-in-the-dark paint as a landmark.

That means whoever caused that power outage is our culprit!

Well, that’s it then! The culprit’s the one who was in the room with the circuit breakers...

In other words, it's you -- Peko Pekoyama!

Hyaa! Peko-chan killed Byakuya-chan? We're losing both of our glasses wearing characters?!

...I am not the culprit.

She says she's not the culprit!

...Don't believe people so easily!!

But... I don't think Pekoyama-san is tall enough to reach the fusebox in that office...

T...That's a tiny problem that doesn't mean anything! I'm telling you, Pekoyama flipped the breakers and caused that blackout!

Pekoyama, who was in the office, flipped the breakers and cut the power...

Is that... really what happened?

Tutorial posted:

In this next discussion, we introduce Blue Weak Points.
Up until now, the weak points that appeared before you indicated where you could prove a claim wrong...
These Blue Weak Points, on the other hand, indicate where you can prove it right.
Hitting these Agreement Points with an Evidence Bullet may require that you reverse the way you thought so far.
You are not trying to destroy an opponent's lie or inconsistency...
...But rather to prove, with an Evidence Bullet, that what they are saying is correct.
Shoot an Agreement Point with an Evidence Bullet to make them work in unison and reveal the truth!
...Please ignore the fact that the metaphor does not work.
Whether a given discussion calls for refutation or corroboration is up to you to reason out.
You may press the START button at any time to view an explanation of the controls.
The rest is up to you... We wish you luck.

Phase 4 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 4 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

DISCUSSION START

Evidence Bullets: Nidai's Testimony / Hanamura's Testimony / Nanami's Testimony

Pekoyama was in the office, and so...

She could cause a power outage any time she wanted!

No... that was impossible...

Eh? Why so?

Because I wasn't in the office.

From before the outage, until after it was over...

WHAT ABOUT YOUR ROLE AS A GUARD?!

I apologize...

But, saying you weren't at the office...

...That's just a lame excuse under pressure, isn't it!

It's true, it's easy to suspect Pekoyama after hearing this kind of testimony.

But, there was someone who revealed the true nature about what's going on during the investigation.

Nidai's Testimony >>> From before the outage, until after it was over...

I CONCUR!

Trial 6 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 6 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

I concur. I think Pekoyama’s telling the truth.

Oh, I get it. You've fallen for her, haven’t you?!

T...That's not it... Nidai's testimony is her alibi!

D...Don’t think I didn’t try the nearest crapper first! But someone's been using it for a while now!

It's true. Someone had been making exclusive use of the toilet since just after the party started...

It was finally vacant again... after we found Togami's body.

Ah! So, maybe the person who was in the toilet is...!

Everyone except Pekoyama was in the big hall after the party started, right?

I get it! If someone's been locked in that toilet the entire time, it could only have been big sis Pekoyama!

T...That is true...

Y...You were in there the whole time? Why didn't you just say so at the start?!

How could she have said anything? Don't you know anything about delicacy?

If she's been there for such a long time... There can be no doubt. It was poo poo.

Gahahaha! Of course she didn’t say anything! You can't just come out and say you were taking a poo poo!

Hey! Has no one ever taught you about delicacy? Are you living in a country with no women?

Mu... I apologize!

I...It's fine... More importantly... can we please stop talking about this?

Nevertheless, I can attest that it didn't stink too much! I can testify to that, since I was in there right after you!

...P...Please, just let it go!

But, you sure were in there for a reeeeeally long time! Did you have stomach trouble or something?

Immediately after I came to the office, I was overwhelmed by an intense pain in my stomach...
That is why I couldn't leave the toilet... Even during the power outage.

Hey, how did it feel when it suddenly became dark as you were doing your business? Was it unexpectedly exciting?

...Will you just stop it?

But... was that stomachache really a coincidence?

What do you want, Mr “Nothing to do with me”? You wanted out, so why don’t you keep out?

Heh. You idiots are all so unreliable, that I thought I'd put in a word of my own.

Enough foolishness. You questioned a supposed "coincidence". What did you mean?

I mean... It's possible that someone spiked her food with laxatives.

L...Laxatives...?

By doing that, someone could force her to leave the office, and then take advantage of that opening to flip the breakers.

I see! So that was the trick they used!

Was Pekoyama's stomach trouble a coincidence? Or did someone do it to her on purpose...?

The story's going to change drastically depending on the answer to that question...

Phase 5 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 5 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

DISCUSSION START

Evidence Bullets: Embarrassing Pose, Party Food, Knife, Air Conditioner Timer, Night-vision Goggles

How about it? Did you eat anything weird?

No... I don’t believe I did.

Speaking of which, Pekoyama-san... When you left for the office...

...you took with you some food, did you not?

Yes... I took a portion of the party food with me.

There must have been laxatives in the food, right?

How suspicious! Teruteru-chan made that food!

I...I would never do such a thing!

I mean, spiking the food ruins its taste!

Was Pekoyama's stomachache just a coincidence...? Or did someone cause it...?

First, we have to make that clear.

Party Food >>> There must have been some laxatives in it, right?

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Trial 7 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 7 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

No, it's impossible that the party food contained any laxatives.
I mean, it wasn't just Pekoyama who ate that food. Owari did, too.

If someone put laxatives in that food, Akane-chan should also have had stomach trouble...

I'm feeling as healthy as an ox!

I...I told you, the food had nothing to do with it! Don't go making weird accusations like that!

...I apologize for leading you astray.

It's Kuzuryuu who should apologize! He's the one who came up with the idea!

What was that, rear end in a top hat?!

Stop this fighting, at once!!

So, if Pekoyama-san's stomachache was just a coincidence, how about we go back to talking about the blackout...?

Sure, sure... you don't have to spell everything out, you dirty bitch.

D...Dirty bitch?!

If the murder took place during the blackout, the mystery of that blackout must be important...

In that case, we must make it clear why that power outage happened...!

Phase 6 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 6 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

DISCUSSION START

Evidence Bullets: Nanami's Testimony / Nidai's Testimony / Irons in the Storage Room / Tablecloth in the Storage Room / Hanamura's Testimony

Who flipped the breakers and how did they do it?

If you can't answer that, I'll pinch you in the forehead!

Perhaps they threw a stone at the fusebox?

They must've used a remote control, right?

The fusebox must've been tampered with somehow.

It might not have been the fusebox at all...

It is possible the power lines or the power transmission have been tampered with!

Maybe we were just using too much power?

I say Monobear did it!

By the way, I am not a dirty bitch!

How did the culprit flip the breakers at the old lodge...?

I think I have some clues regarding that question already...

Sussing out the right answer from a bunch of different theories is going to be a pattern with the blue weak points.

Irons in the Storage Room >>> Maybe we were just using too much power?

I CONCUR!

Trial 8 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 8 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

It's just like Koizumi said... The power outage happened because too much power was being used.
It wasn't a coincidence, though. Someone... triggered it on purpose.

They used those three irons in the storage room for that, didn't they?

When you found them immediately after the power outage, they were all plugged in and turned on, right?

So, someone set up those irons purposely to draw enough power to trip the breakers?

Yeah. By using the irons, the culprit caused the outage and--

YOU FOOOOOOL!!!

Hold it right there! I have something to say!

W...What is it...?

Are you saying the irons in the storage room triggered that power outage...?

I CANNOT ALLOW SUCH FOOLISHNESS TO PASS UNCHALLENGED!!

• Locked thread