Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Oh my gosh this cast is ridiculous. Pretty sure the big guy is Super High-School Level Space Marine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
The combination of the hexcode at the start, the glitches before Hinata blacks out and Hope's Peak being apparently fine when he got there (which presumably must have been after the Incident, unless DR2 happens before DR) puts me in mind of this being some sort of computer simulation. I know there are any number of other explanations, but it would continue the AI theme of the first game.

Ah well, no doubt my instincts will get shattered next update as happened so often last LP. Looking forward to another great read!

Walnut69
Oct 17, 2012
Completely unexpected, but pleasantly so.

For some reason, I've always expected Hinata to have a deeper voice than that - I was a bit surprised when I heard it for the first time, really (didn't check VAs beforehand). I've mostly grown used to it by now, but a part of me still disagrees.

And Beautiful Ruin is still charming to hear, as always.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Clear as a crisp spring morning. Jun... kos... in the coffee.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Thanqol posted:

Uh, wow, did Togami let himself go in between games or what?

The filename for that image is even 'togami'. Holy poo poo.

Maybe he intentionally put on weight so he wasn't so attractive to crazy girls with scissors.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm curious what the titles are this time around. Fatgami looks like a 1920s plantation owner. "Ah say, ah say suh, do not be insinuatin' that I am a lowly heir!"

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Ixjuvin posted:

Holy poo poo, now that you mention it, it DOES look like him!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

So hey, that classroom sure looks familiar dosen't it!

Edit:

Ixjuvin posted:

Oh gently caress you now I'm never getting that out of my head!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Yeah Bro posted:

They kinda got lazy with the character design, didn't they. Most of these guys have reused faces or bodies from the previous game. I get that it's anime, but they could at least have tried for a bit more variation.

Well, considering I'm pretty sure that Fat Togami actually is Togami, and Nagito bears a striking resemblance to Naegi, even with regards to his name...

There's no way this is a coincidence or lazy design. Its either important or a deliberate red herring.

metropoliszone
Oct 9, 2012
YES.

This is looking to be fantastic and I just can't wait.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Calling it now. This guy is our villain.

He has a hoodie, and is not our protagonist.

He looks just like Naegi, precisely to defuse our suspicions by allaying us with the memories of bland characterization and weird goony moments when meeting girls.

(I don't take that back even if that really is Naegi, driven mad by the terrible power of his hair)

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I'm predicting that the fat Togami looking person is actually him and there will be a funny reason on his weight gain, like he did it so Fukawa would stop bothering him

suuchan
Oct 12, 2012

mystery solved!
And here we go!

I personally think the cast of characters looks pretty drat cool, but obviously that's personal preference more than anything else. Very much looking forward to further updates!

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I'm getting some mad Pokey vibes coming from the fat kid in a suit.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
This cast is even more bizarre than I expected. :psyduck:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm actually on the ground floor of DR2 this time, as opposed to the second trial.

Oh god, I'm on the ground floor this time and have to wait for updates again :negative:

physxman
Oct 29, 2012
Wow, one update in and everything is already batshit.

This is going to be wonderful. :allears:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ixjuvin posted:

Yes... yes...

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Calling it now, everyone is secretly a villian but nobody knows that anyone else is a villian. The result is a massive clusterfuck of zany schemes, evil plotting and maximum DISPAIR!

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Hee Hee Hee I can't wait :syoon:

SOL_Cambot
Oct 9, 2012

Ixjuvin posted:

Super High School Level Profiler

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Super High School Level Time Clones?

I'm pretty excited by these developments, whatever they are.

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID
Christmas has come early! Now time to start :f5:

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
...Holy poo poo. I find the DR2 thread and discover Togami apparently opened his own chain of KFC-restaurants between games, from the looks of him. Col. Togami has a nice ring to it, though Goongami's making me chuckle.

Holier poo poo, a kendo girl, too! Man, I hope she turns out to be awesome...

But.. um... did *anyone* else think the chef was a girl at first? There's at least three or four characters in this mix whose androgyny could mean there's a whole *pack* of Chihiros on the island.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Dude's literally got lightning in his eyebrows. This is gonna be a trip.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Oh boy, here we go! Even though I started reading the first LP pretty early, it still doesn't compare to reading it from the very beginning. Doesn't compare to its despair, I mean.

Good job with the thread's format, it feels like it has everything you could ask for, even the voices. And those gifs are pretty cool, too: I did think that it's my monitor / internet connection acting up.

Waiting warmly for the character introductions. By the way, the scarf dude is the only one who didn't say a single word.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
...There's a Monorabbit? And she has a terrible speech impediment? Guess we should add it to the growing menagerie of mono-animals. Still, I wonder where our "headmaster" from the previous game is right now, considering he seemed to be alive and well at the end.

Off to a great start though! Nothing like a fresh new cast that still looks highly familiar to get into the murder solving mood! DR0 looks like it'll be a fun read too! Hopefully you guys don't have too much trouble translating stuff or burn out. Best take it easy with a project this huge.

Best of all though, no more "JUNKOS" for 50% of the thread! ...Unless Junko's ghost somehow shows up to murder everyone again or something.

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Welp. That sure is a start. Glad I could get in on this, I didn't start reading the previous thread until it was already finished. You do some good work, dude.

So, it looks like most characters share cosmetic similarities with previous ones but then the rest is unrelated, like the chef with Oowada's hair. Some characters seem to combine two previous characters, like fat Togami. And the weirdest thing to me is that some previous characters are represented in multiple people, like sword girl and Agent Francis Morgan there both reminding me of Kirigiri.

The only ones who don't remind me of anyone are red haired girl and the broody guy that hasn't had any lines yet.

But I should probably wait until we even get introduced to everybody before I can really speculate at anything.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm expecting great things from Mr. Chef, even if he is the first murderer.

That gangster looking dude, too.

Commandant
Oct 9, 2012

Anime RPGs are serious business.
This is quite a cast my goodness. I'm super excited for introductions though guessing the kids skills is fun.

Since no one else has said it yet, I'm putting my money on muscles being SHSL Ouendan.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Ixjuvin posted:

I'm calling cross dresser now so that in 150 updates when this character is dead and someone grabs their crotch to reveal that he is actually a woman, I can be all smug and quote myself.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Its here! its here!!

Such joy! Its finally begun! And i'm here at the start, rather than showing up 90% of the way though!

wait...

Such despair! I get to wait for updates so long! Glorious despair!

Also the only way DR0 could spoil the first game faster and more completely is to have a list of all the deaths on the first page, goddamn.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Awesome! I didn't post much in the DR1 thread, but I've been following since Case 2ish, and I'm happy to see the second game started.

Oren, I had a question about DR0. Will you be mentioning in the DR2 updates when DR0 becomes relevant to the DR2 plot? With LPs I can enjoy reading piece by piece, but I find it difficult to read small parts of a novel, so I'd rather wait until I need to read it before I start.

Either way, thank you very much for doing this LP and the previous one. Also, thank you Fedule and HelloWinter for the work you're doing on this LP as well. :allears:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
We already started and I think I want a avatar of Fatogami already, I know Asahina said that she would create her own donut shop but she didn't have to make Togami try all of then first....

My first theory is that....because there are some characters with DR1 characters similarities my best guess is that one of the characters who doesn't have those similarities has a big connection to someone from the DR1 cast.

And oren was right. Zero just spoils the first game with the first sentence, kinda funny.

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 11, 2012

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

Well, hello. Punk's not dead! :swoon:

e: My bad.

Orfeo fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 11, 2012

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Gally posted:

Also the only way DR0 could spoil the first game faster and more completely is to have a list of all the deaths on the first page, goddamn.

But... But your avatar... :psyduck:

suuchan
Oct 12, 2012

mystery solved!

Orfeo posted:

Well, hello, [REDACTED] Punk's not dead! :swoon:

Might wanna edit out that name there. Not sure how far the no spoilers policy goes, but you can never be too sure.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

suuchan posted:

Might wanna edit out that name there. Not sure how far the no spoilers policy goes, but you can never be too sure.
He just got the name from the image's title, though.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Jeek posted:

Just want to point you to the rules above:

I've actually never seen any of the promo stuff.. I avoided it on purpose so as not to be spoiled. I was just speculating based on stuff seen in this thread. Like the thread title (and the palm trees in the game's title image), as Dickweasel Alpha pointed out, so don't go accusing me of trying to spoil stuff, young man! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuchan
Oct 12, 2012

mystery solved!

SingerOfW posted:

He just got the name from the image's title, though.

Ah, I guess so. The no spoiler guide includes 'character names and titles', so I assumed. Sorry!

suuchan fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 11, 2012

• Locked thread