Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

orenronen posted:

Let me spoil the games for you: Junko, Mukuro, Celes, Kyouko Kirigiri, Maizono, Asahina, Fukawa, Oogami, Naegi's little sister and mother, as well as Koizumi, Ibuki, Nanami, Owari, Peko, Saionji, Sonia, Tsumiki and Usami/Monomi are all female (for values of "female" that fit stuffed animal robots and such, in some of these cases). Naegi, Komaeda and Hinata are voiced by women but are, in fact, male.

Ah, so what you're saying is that Maizono's band were all cross dressers except her....interesting...

e: this is a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noumena
Mar 18, 2008

I'm not an artist but I thought I'd drag out Baby's First Tablet to scribble some fanart for this thread.

First up . . . I'm no Ibuki fan, but I feel a little sorry for her having to stand next to Nagito. That's gotta be uncomfortable during his little reveal.

Next, Nagito is quickly becoming my favorite character.

"Aw shucks guys I'm nothin special, just your friendly neighborhood psychopath."

DanBDanielson
Mar 21, 2013

orenronen posted:

Let me spoil the games for you: Junko, Mukuro, Celes, Kyouko Kirigiri, Maizono, Asahina, Fukawa, Oogami, Naegi's little sister and mother, as well as Koizumi, Ibuki, Nanami, Owari, Peko, Saionji, Sonia, Tsumiki and Usami/Monomi are all female (for values of "female" that fit stuffed animal robots and such, in some of these cases). Naegi, Komaeda and Hinata are voiced by women but are, in fact, male.

Well, poo poo. There goes my theory.

BUT GUYS WHAT IF

No, I'm kidding. Also, I just listened to the Retsucast, I didn't think it was even possible for me to be MORE hyped up for the second half of the game, and it also reminds me I have to go and play 999, since I hear it does share a lot of similarities with DR.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Noumena posted:

I'm not an artist but I thought I'd drag out Baby's First Tablet to scribble some fanart for this thread.

First up . . . I'm no Ibuki fan, but I feel a little sorry for her having to stand next to Nagito. That's gotta be uncomfortable during his little reveal.

"Aw shucks guys I'm nothin special, just your friendly neighborhood psychopath."

Those are both great! Ibuki looks so uncomfortable in the first one; not even her happy-go-lucky personality is helping her there. And Nagito just looks so self-satisfied and creepy in both of them.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

orenronen posted:

Right now, somewhere on tumblr, someone is being triggered by this flagrant display of cisgender privilege.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami

Paracelsus posted:

Right now, somewhere on tumblr, someone is being triggered by this flagrant display of cisgender privilege.

can you loving not

like here is a list of things that suck about your post

•being triggered is not just "being kind of annoyed" it means that people have like, actual serious panic attacks and isn't funny to make fun of
•trans* issues are also loving serious and not cool to make fun of
•no one here cares about tumblr but you
•the joke doesn't even make sense because the original post was just saying "these characters are women and these characters are not" with no mention of chromosomes

in conclusion, can you loving not

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

edit: never mind

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

I'm no SHSL baker but she turned out quite cute, in my humble opinion. The idea was from a Valentine's Day picture that I never got around to finishing.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

That is very cute and a little bit morbid

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Noumena posted:

Aristide posted:

I'm no SHSL baker but she turned out quite cute, in my humble opinion. The idea was from a Valentine's Day picture that I never got around to finishing.

What a great way to turn around an absolutely terrible derail. Thank you. This is actually pretty cool. How did the cake taste? Also, that art is pretty funny. I share the sentiment regarding Nagito. There's something enticing about how psychotic he is.

e: vvvv Joke or not, gently caress off. Seriously.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 1, 2013

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Sporkaganza posted:

can you loving not

like here is a list of things that suck about your post

•being triggered is not just "being kind of annoyed" it means that people have like, actual serious panic attacks and isn't funny to make fun of
•trans* issues are also loving serious and not cool to make fun of
•no one here cares about tumblr but you
•the joke doesn't even make sense because the original post was just saying "these characters are women and these characters are not" with no mention of chromosomes

in conclusion, can you loving not

I agree. Frankly, these loving cunts (sorry, oval office-kins) who make fun of people being offended on the internet should be taken care of, preferably, insanely and brutally with machine guns and rocket launchers. :iamafag:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Aristide posted:

Ooh, that looks pretty good. I've always liked vanilla and strawberry cake.

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami

Phimose Knight posted:

I agree. Frankly, these loving cunts (sorry, oval office-kins) who make fun of people being offended on the internet should be taken care of, preferably, insanely and brutally with machine guns and rocket launchers. :iamafag:

oh my god you actually made my brain hurt a little with that one

the monomi cake is very lovely and i think we should talk about that for about 100 pages now

DanBDanielson
Mar 21, 2013
I love that cake. My issue with decorative cakes is when it comes down to it you'll eventually have to eat the poor things. Yes, that is the point of a cake I do realise, but still, it's a shame. Seconding the taste, also asking - Has there been any Dangan Ronpa merch other than the OST released in Japan?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

DanBDanielson posted:

I love that cake. My issue with decorative cakes is when it comes down to it you'll eventually have to eat the poor things. Yes, that is the point of a cake I do realise, but still, it's a shame. Seconding the taste, also asking - Has there been any Dangan Ronpa merch other than the OST released in Japan?

Lots of merch. Hell, Nagito's jacket is available on amiami. There's no shortage of it.

DanBDanielson
Mar 21, 2013

CrashScreen posted:

Lots of merch. Hell, Nagito's jacket is available on amiami. There's no shortage of it.

Oh boy, I should check out some of that. I've been hesitant to Google most things after the spoiler warnings on the 'cast and other places. I was more wondering if there were any silly soda/candy deals, or train ads or some such, but that does sound kinda interesting. I think a t-shirt or bag or something would be pretty great.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

CrashScreen posted:

How did it taste?

Like.. a lot of sugar. The strawberry half honestly didn't have as strong of a flavor as I was hoping so the whole thing just tastes overwhelmingly sweet.
I guess that's fitting considering Monomi herself.

I plan on ditching the white half at work as it's just too much cake for my tiny 3-person household. Next time I do Ronpa-themed baking I'll do something smaller, like Monobear Cupcakes.

SOL_Cambot
Oct 9, 2012

likecnsnnts posted:

It puts my heart at ease to know that Naegi's sister and mother are confirmed females, Oren. My thumper was aflutter with all sorts of labyrinthine gender speculation.

Well, there goes my theory that Naegi's sister was really a boy and grew up to be Nagito. I really thought I had something there.

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth

CrashScreen posted:

I saw a news post about replica Togami glasses, but I didn't want to click on it in fear of spoilers. There are some upcoming figures too!

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Aristide posted:

This is the best Easter gift ever. (And that little bit of unfinished art looks cute, too!)

MiyokoBlade
Mar 28, 2013

saihate posted:

I saw a news post about replica Togami glasses, but I didn't want to click on it in fear of spoilers. There are some upcoming figures too!

Figures? Oh man that's awesome...I'm hoping for some more Nendoroids. I know they have a Nendoroid of everyone's favorite despair-loving bear(complete with button and gavel)...but I so want some student Nendos! On another note, Aristide I love that cake you made! Monomi cake sounds like the perfect thing to make for a despair party! Hehehe...now we need a picture of Monobear chasing Monomi around trying to eat her head after seeing that picture. Upupu~

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Aristide posted:

Like.. a lot of sugar.

Yeah sounds about right.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

e: bad idea

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Well, then. We’re almost ready for the climax of the school trial, but...
First, here's a short quiz!
Hoeh? What's this, all of a sudden?!
I was thinking anyone who already knows who the culprit is should get a chance to name them right here and now.
Anyone who fails to indentify the culprit will have their save data corrupted, but...
I think I will award anyone who succeeds one billion yen.
O...One billion yen?!
Anyone who still doesn't know who the culprit is may simply proceed without answering, of course.
So, what's your choice, you bastards?!

Continue / Guess the Culprit

Well, I’m game. It was clearly-

That was a fake! It wasn't a real choice at all!
There's no way I'm going to let you guess the culprit right now!
I'm not going to give you one billion yen, either!
You fiend! You truly are a fiend!!

Aww. But, judging by some of the discussion in the thread, I’m far from the only one who would’ve gone for this.

Trial 13 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 13 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

I'm Monomi! And right now, my heart is beating vewy fast!

Byakuya Togami-kun, who was everyone's leader, has been killed... And they say one of my students is the culpwit!

No! I won’t believe it! I will never believe it!

I mean... the only thing I believe in is my students.

So... do your best, everyone! And remember -- save early, save often!

Well, then. What are we to do now?
If we agree the knife wasn't the murder weapon, then there’s no conclusive evidence showing I’m the murderer.

Y...You should keep your mouth shut! This is up for the rest of us to decide!

H...He said he was pushed away from under the table... but we don't know that for sure, do we?

The pretentious one is correct. That some other weapon was used should not itself lift our suspicions...

B...But... there is another reason Komaeda-san can't be the culprit...

Huh?! There’s more?!

We all agree that the culprit killed Togami-san under the table... don't we?

Is that... a problem?

Um... I thought Komaeda-san was too clean to be the culprit.

Ah! Someone’s finally complimenting me for my impeccable personal hygiene! Even my mother never praised me for anything!

Uyu... Ah! No! That’s not what I meant!

Oh... I get it. When Tsumiki called Komaeda “clean”, she meant...

He had no blood on him / He wasn't dusty / He wasn't injured / He wasn't carrying a weapon

I SEE!

What you're saying is that Komaeda didn’t have any blood on him, right?

Y...Yes! That's it!

I mean... there was a lot of blood splattered all over under the table, wasn't there?
There were even splatters of blood all over the tablecloth...

If he really had killed Togami under that table, it is strange that he did not get any blood on him...

Oh? As you can see, there isn't any blood on me at all.

Maybe... he simply used something to avoid the blood!

But, what is that "something"? Was there something that could be used to avoid the blood splatter...?
Oh... Actually, there was. Isn't that right, Hinata-kun?

There was indeed... Something that could be used to avoid getting blood on yourself...

Tablecloth in the Storage Room

THAT PROVES IT!

There was a tablecloth with blood on it in the storage room... Is that what you're talking about?

If there was blood on it, that must be it! Komaeda must have used it under the table to avoid the blood!

But, it was found in the storage room, was it not? Are we to believe he carried it there, after the murder?

Do you mean after the lights came back on? What did he plan to do if someone saw him?

That's right... that tablecloth was pretty large, so carrying it through the lodge in order to hide it...

Furthermore, it was enough trouble grabbing the knife in the darkness. Stabbing someone while wrapped in a tablecloth on top of that...

I don’t think the most talented people in this room could do that... let alone someone at my level.

S...So... What does it mean...?

Perhaps... the culprit didn't stab Togami-kun under the table.

...Eh?

Impossible. That the victim died under the table is beyond question.

With the blood splattered all over the tablecloth... It's clear that that's where Togami-san was killed...

True. Togami-san was stabbed under the table. But... that doesn’t mean that that’s where he was stabbed from.

Frankly, that makes no sense at all!

The place where Togami was stabbed and the place the culprit stabbed him from... are different?

Oh? Hinata-kun... Your face suggests you just figured something out.

R...Really?! You got that... riddle thing she just said?!

I feel as if I'm about to get it... but it's still vague...

It's a place that both is under the table and isn't under the table. That's the only thing that makes sense!

You start with that notion... drop your preconceptions... and pick the right answer! ...I think.

Tutorial posted:

The time has come to reason out an important keyword. This is done through "Flashing Anagram (Renewal)".
The goal of this stage is to line up letters in the correct order, and make up a keyword that has to do with the case at hand.
"Flashing Anagram (Renewal)" is a little bit like a puzzle game.
Various letters will fly out from each corner of the screen. There are only two rules you must remember...
(1) When two different letters clash, you receive damage.
(2) When two of the same letter clash, they fuse.
You should strive to make two of the same letter clash, while avoiding clashing different letters...
Those are the basics.
The tools we are giving you to achieve this are called "Catch" and "Release".
Move the scope with the analog pad. When the scope is pointed at a letter, you can press the circle button to catch it!
We call that "catching the letter".
Bear in mind that you can only have one letter caught at a time.
When you have caught a letter, pushing the circle button will release it where the scope is.
We call that "releasing the letter".
Use catch and release to move the letters around, and make the correct pairs clash together.
When you successfully clash two of the same letter, they fuse together. Fused letters become larger and stay in place.
When you aim at a fused letter and push the circle button, that letter explodes and is removed from the game field.
We call that "exploding the letters".
Catch with the circle button! Release with the circle button! Explode with the circle button!
That button really is amazing!
But... You cannot clear the stage just by exploding letters.
After all, the goal of "Flashing Anagram (Renewal)" is the complete a keyword.
By pushing the square button you can remind yourself of the question at hand. Please try to reason out the answer to that question.
As for assembling the answer...
You can use the triangle button, instead of the circle button, to target fused letters.
When you do, the fused letter still explodes, but it is also sent to the answer board.
If the letter is correct, it will be added to the answer. If it is not, you will receive damage.
The answer must be assembled in the correct order. Please reason out the correct answer from the choice of letters flying around.
By the way... If you leave a fused letter in play for too long, it will self-destruct.
This will damage you, so try not to leave fused letters unattended.
Wow... That was a long explanation... I hope it was clear.
...Perhaps it would be easier for you to just try it.
You may press the START button at any time to view an explanation of the controls.
The rest is up to you... We wish you luck.

Phase 9 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 9 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

The place Togami was stabbed and the place the culprit stabbed him... were not the same.

“Start with that notion, drop my preconceptions, and pick the right answer”... She makes it sound so easy...

I feel... something flashing in my mind...

I think I just need a little more... until I see the answer!

FLASHING ANAGRAM START

Watch the video to see how this works in practice. This is much better as a game than DR1's version of Flashing Anagram, though I feel it's still the weakest point of the trials. It also gets pretty difficult later. As you can see in the video, I take some damage even at this stage, where things are slow and easy. That's for LP demonstration purposes, of course - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

C R A W L S P A C E

OF COURSE!

Trial 14 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 14 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

I've got it... the culprit stabbed Togami from the crawlspace under the floor, didn't he?!

H...He was stabbed through the floor?!

The old lodge's floor is full of gaps, and the carpet didn't reach all the way to that table.
If someone pushed a weapon through one of those gaps... they could probably stab and kill Togami.

In that case, the culprit would have to get into that crawlspace. How did they do that? Where is the entrance?

I don't know... but I think I have an idea who might.

Someone was definitely under there... recently, too! They have to know the way to get there!

SUGGEST A SUSPECT!

IT COULD ONLY HAVE BEEN YOU!

Hey, Tanaka... you dropped your earring back at the big hall, didn't you.

You mean, the Devildog Earring?

That earring...

...You mean, the Devildog Earring?

...The Devildog earring... ended up under the floor, right?

I...It's there...
It's there! My Devildog Earring!!
Fuha! Fuhahaha! God favors Gundam Tanaka alone!
That's great.
...But, how do I get it out of there?
My hand will not fit through this gap, and it seems no tool can reach far enough in...

Hmhmhm... Long and arduous was the search. By its end, I was ready to raze that accursed lodge to the ground...

But, just as the ancient prophecies foretold it would, the Devildog Earring found its way back to its rightful owner!

That earring... it's the one that's on your ear right now, isn't it?

Eh? So, you...?!

Tanaka didn't have the earring during the investigation...

But just before the trial he had it back on.

That means that during the investigation, he managed to retrieve his earring from under the floor.

And so, it means he must know a way to get under the floor?

Hmhmhm... It is no wonder that your bead-like eyes could not perceive the truth...

But you were wrong! The power of the Four Dark Gods of Destruction renders every obstacle insignificant!

Behold, the power of their Fourth Eye of Evil!
Yes... Before this Evil Eye, visual chaos becomes order!

What am I going to do?! Just listening to him speak is embarrassing!

GRAAAAAH! EXPLAIN IT LOUDLY AND CLEARLY, LIKE A MAAAAAN!

So be it, then! I shall tell you! The answer to this mystery lies in the storage room!

"Mirage Silver Falcon" Cham-P of the Four Dark Gods of Destruction perceived it within the chaos.
He discovered the “Passage of Doom” concealed among the piles of boxes...
I then acquired a lighter from the supermarket, and stepped into the space, unafraid to face the danger ahead...
And there I claimed the spoils of my solitary battle... the Devildog Earring, mine again at last!

Fuaahahaha! You know now the extent of my powers... Will you tremble in fear? Or kneel in reverence?

You sure you’re not exaggerating just a teensy weensy bit? Aren't you just a breeder?

Anyway... it would seem he entered the crawlspace from the storage room.

In that case, that's also where the culprit entered it from.

It didn’t look as though the lodges walls extend down there, so it wouldn’t be very far from the storage room to the hall.

Hmm... if they went by the storage room, that would explain why the tablecloth was there.

The culprit snuck into the crawlspace from the storage room, and sent the weapon fwap into Byakuya-chan!

Hmmm... is that really what happened?

It might not have been fwap... maybe something more befitting a large mass, like splat or something?

No, I wasn't talking about the sound effect...

If someone snuck into the crawlspace, that means they’d have had to slip out of the party, doesn't it?
But... No one did... did they?

In that case, the culprit is someone who wasn't at the party at all. All they had to do was wait under the floor the entire time.

...Remind me. Who wasn't at the party?

I wasn't, but... I was standing guard at the lodge's entrance. Monomi over there can confirm that... right?

Yes, Monomi over here can confiwm that!

I don't think it bears repeating, but... I was in the bathroom, and couldn’t leave...

I was in the kitchen most of the time, but I carried food to the hall now and then.

Um... so the person who wasn't at the party is...

As far as I can tell from the pictures I'd taken...

...He's the only one left, right?

Yay! This proves it!

T...This proves nothing! I'm not the drat culprit!

Aren't you...? Remind me who was it that said he won't hesitate to kill any of us?

Shut your mouth! I'll kill you!

See? There he goes again!

Oh, that sure hits the spot. Finally, some excitement I can approve of!

Tutorial posted:

Good news! We have secured permission to authorize use of the "silencer".
Use it by pushing the circle button. There is no limit to its use.
Using the silencer, you may shoot away "white noise".
When you successfully shoot white noise, you will gain back a small amount of time.
On the other hand, if you try to silence anything other than white noise, you’ll lose some time.
Therefore, we urge you to only use the silencer on white noise.
If you chose the "kind" action difficulty level, white noise won’t appear at all, and so...
...while you may still use the silencer, there won’t be much point.
That is, unless you like the bang bang sound it makes. I can sympathize. Isn’t it a great sound?
Bang! Bang bang! Bangbangdangbangbang!
You may press the START button at any time to view an explanation of the controls.
The rest is up to you... We wish you luck.

Phase 10 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 10 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

DISCUSSION START

Evidence Bullets: Souda's Testimony / Nidai's Testimony / Mioda's Testimony / Hanamura's Testimony / Nanami's Testimony

During the party, the culprit...

Lay waiting under the floor, like a cockroach.
With Kuzuryuu's height...
Yes, it’s possible...

In that case, not only did he have a perfect view of the girls' panties...
That's just you...

...He didn't have to go to the storage room when it was dark!

How about it, Fuyuhiko-chan?!

Don't just decide to make me the culprit!
That reaction sure is suspicious!

But, after the party started...

...No one saw you at all.

That means you have no alibi!
I concur with big sis Koizumi!
That girl...!

Being suspected is merely an axiom...

Kuzuryuu is the only person without an alibi during the party... and that's why he's the culprit?

Not only is this still pretty simple, the white noise isn't even obstructing the Weak Points!

Nanami's Testimony >>> That means you have no alibi!

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Trial 15 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 15 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

No, Kuzuryuu did have an alibi. Isn't that right, Nanami?

Um... Oh, that's right.

...Huh? Why are you here, Kuzuryuu-kun?
I...I could ask you the same question... Why the hell are you standing here all by yourself...?
I'm on guard. I'm keeping Monobear out of the party.
Heh... Must be a pain...

I saw Kuzuryuu-kun after the party had already started, so he couldn't have been hiding under the floor since before the party.

Why didn't you tell them that faster, you shithead?

Why didn’t you tell them? And why were you loitering around the lodge anyway?

S...Shut up...

Maybe there's a secret passage from outside the lodge to the crawlspace, and he was scouting for it...

...Shut the gently caress up, rear end in a top hat!!

Yaaaaaa!!

Waaah! He's happy being shouted at?!

No... the crawlspace cannot be entered from outside. With the aid of the thoughtful one, I confirmed as much...

So, someone did sneak into the crawlspace from the storage room during the party, then?

It probably wasn't just during the party... but during the power outage...

Ah... If someone disappeared during the blackout, it's not so strange that we didn’t notice.

But, walking from the hall to the storage room in the dark is like trying to make Eggs Benedict without eggs!

He's right... I couldn't even find the office, which is right next to the hall...

But, was it really impossible?
I think we should explore this possibility just a little longer...

In that darkness? It was definitely impossible to move to the storage room!

But... something is definitely not right here. I feel like there's something we're missing...

I have to find what that is, and so, once more...

Somehow... it seems we're reaching a conclusion...

The culprit and the innocents... we will soon discover whose Super High-school Level is superior.

Phase 11 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 11 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

DISCUSSION START

Evidence Bullets: Kitchen Equipment List / Advance Notice of a Crime / Duralumin case / Party Food / Fire Door

The corridor was completely dark during the outage, right?

Moving all the way to the storage room in those conditions...

That's like a bowl of kaisendon without any fish!
That actually doesn't sound so bad!

Kaisendon (seafood donburi) is a rice bowl dish topped with a variety of seafood.

I wonder, is it really completely impossible?

Maybe they used a cord, like Komaeda did?
A cord...?
That's probably easy to hide...

Maybe they had their own night-vision goggles?
But, even if they did...
...Togami would have confiscated them, right?

This is annoying, so I'll just go with my intuition...

They used light. That would do it, wouldn't it?
Was... Was that a joke...?

It was impossible after all...

The way the culprit moved through the darkness... It has to be one of those options...

...And I think I can prove which one!

Sometimes, the least complicated answer is the correct one.

Kitchen Equipment List >>> They just used light. That would do it, wouldn't it?

I CONCUR!

Trial 16 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 16 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

That's it! The culprit used light!

Oh! I was right?!

But, where did they get light from?

They had a light source. Here, it's written right here in the equipment list for the kitchen.

Fork x 20. Knife x 20. Spoon x 20. Skewer x 5. Frying pan x 3. Wine glass x 20...
In addition, there's even a barbecue griddle and a portable stove for hot pots.
A griddle and a portable stove... I found them on the shelf over there.
They seem to be in excellent condition. Certainly very much usable.

...It's the portable stove.

P...Portable stove?!

You can turn on a portable stove even when there's no electricity, and you can even carry it around...

The culprit used that portable stove, and moved through the corridor all the way to the storage room!

I see... that portable stove is a plausible explanation, but your reasoning still has a hole in it.

...Eh?

What hole might that be? Please tell us all about it.

Ah! I didn't mean that in a dirty way! I really didn't!

Denying it so loudly just makes you more suspicious!

So, Hinata-kun! How about a little one-on-one with me?!

You've got that wrong.

...I wonder. Will you be able to crush my counterargument?

O...One-on-one...? Is he... enjoying this...? Is this a game to him?

poo poo! I can't lose to someone like him!

Phase 12 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 12 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

COUNTERARGUMENT SHOWDOWN START

Evidence Blades: Fire Door / Kitchen Equipment List / Night-vision Goggles / Tablecloth in the Storage Room / Party Food

Have you forgotten Souda-kun's testimony from before?

He said he couldn't reach the office.

But, the light from the portable stove you claim was used...

...Would contradict that testimony.

Or maybe, you mean to doubt Souda-kun's entire story?

DEVELOPMENT

I have no reason to doubt Souda's story!

What are you even trying to say...?!

If Souda-kun failed to reach the office...

That means the corridors were completely dark, doesn't it?

But, if someone used light in those pitch-black corridors...

They would be seen by Souda-kun, wouldn't they?

I mean, he was loitering there for a while.

He's right - if someone used light in that corridor, that would certainly be noticeable.

In that case... the culprit somehow managed to use light without catching Souda's attention...

The game is starting to throw multiple Weak Points at us in these segments too. So, what did the culprit do to avoid being seen?

Fire Door >>> They would be seen by Souda-kun, wouldn't they?

I'LL CUT THAT CLAIM TO PIECES!

Trial 17 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 17 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

Komaeda... have you forgotten? Or are you just pretending to?

...Eh? What are you talking about?

There was a "wall" that can block light in that corridor.

...The fire doors.

If someone closed them, they could make a perfect wall blocking off the corridor.
And that's not all... just past the fire doors the corridor quickly makes a sharp turn...
...So even if you only have a short opening... as soon as you round that corner you’re out of sight.

I see, so you noticed the fire doors. As expected from a Super High-school Level --

-- Oops... you still don't remember your own talent yet, do you?

T...That doesn't matter right now...!

Komaeda. What is the meaning of this? You are putting up a lot of resistance for someone who is not the culprit.

You don't have to speak in such a scary voice. When you're mad, remember - take deep breaths!

Are you ever gonna shut the gently caress up? Do you need some help with that?!

Hey! I don't mind fighting, but not violent fighting that pulls in unrelated parties!

And would you just decide on a culprit, already? You know, if this gets boring, I can just add a time limit...

Alright... So. Time for me to hand over the baton, is it?

H...Hand over the baton?

It's time for the real culprit, not a fake like me, to make their appearance!

Ku... I'd say you probably are the culprit.

If that's what you think, I don't mind.

I'm going to accept any conclusion you guys make, as long as it's one all of you Super High-school Levels reach together.

"The real culprit"... He's saying it's time to indicate who that is...
I really don’t want to accuse anyone... I don't want to do it, but...

But... I have no choice, do I?

They used those fire doors to block off the corridor, and moved through the darkness using the portable stove...
Then, they snuck into the crawlspace, used the glow-in-the-dark paint as a landmark and stabbed Togami to death.

If that's what happened... If the culprit did all that...

...then there’s only one person it could be!

SUGGEST A SUSPECT!

orenronen fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 1, 2013

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Thanks for helping narrow it down to yourself, Hanamura. You're a pal.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
The creepy little bastard thought he could escape. I wonder how "clumsy" Nagito was to let him discover these details, because Hanamura doesn't strike as sophisticated enough to come up with such a murder plan.

If Nagito is Naegi, that would handily explain how he came up with such a plan. The world outside got to him, possibly due to loss of his friends or simply seeing all others filled with madness.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This first trial is amazing. I don't think anyone even considered the dark corridors, using the fire doors, Souda, or the portable stove in the whole discussion.

RIP Hanamura.

And Nagito doing the 'You've got that wrong!' is both creepy and amazing. :stare:

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

quote:

The pretentious one is correct.

:ironicat:

Nagito's proving himself to be a more and more interesting character as the trial goes on. They're putting a lot more thought into the implications of "Super High-School Level" talents this time.

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 1, 2013

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I thought for sure the update was going to stop when Nagito said "You've got that wrong"! Thanks for not doing that to us. And I thought Nagito hit peak creepy.

Peace out Hanamura.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
IT'S SAIONJI

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

I thought for sure the update was going to stop when Nagito said "You've got that wrong"!

It's not like I didn't want to, but I had to end an update on a culprit selection, and there's a limit to how short I can make updates.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I almost didn't read the update because I thought it would be an elaborate April Fool's joke with a ton of convincing HelloWinter forgery art assets because I'm a paranoid freak on April 1st.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

orenronen posted:

I see, so you noticed the fire doors. As expected from a Super High-school Level --

T...That doesn't matter right now...!

This, to me, combined with Nagito knowing Togami's SHSL skill despite him not actually being in the same class as the students, makes me pretty confident he knows Hinata's SHSL skill, if any.

Going a step further and taking Nagito's comment during the investigation that he and Hinata are the "same kind of people" wtih Nagito's own belief that his SHSL talent is worthless and he is worthless compared to the great students of Hope's Peak really lends some credence to the idea that Hinata doesn't really have a SHSL skill.

e: vvv ahahaha

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 1, 2013

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

orenronen posted:

The way Nagito phrased this makes me think he knows Hinata's talent. Separately the two sentences don't really mean anything, but together the implication seems to be that Nagito knows the talent, but doesn't want to tell Hinata. Hence the "oops" part to the beginning.

E: Dammit Rawkking. :argh:

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

VoidBurger posted:

I almost didn't read the update because I thought it would be an elaborate April Fool's joke with a ton of convincing HelloWinter forgery art assets because I'm a paranoid freak on April 1st.
Ahahahaha. If only we had this idea sooner. Maybe next year?

ApplesandOranges posted:

And Nagito doing the 'You've got that wrong!' is both creepy and amazing. :stare:
Megumi Ogata is certainly doing a superb job with voicing Nagito so far. I don't think that his creepy vibes would be as effective if it were someone else voicing him.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
If someone snuck into the crawlspace, that means they’d have had to slip out of the party, doesn't it?
But... No one did... did they?

Ahhhh... that explains why he spoke up during the blackout. He was trying to establish an alibi.

Still, I find the game's apparent actual explanation a bit implausible. Now, in the time it takes Nagito to find his way to the cord and under the table, Hanamura gets the potable stove, closes the fire doors, goes to the the storage room, gets a tablecloth, and gets under the floor. That seems like it would take a lot more time.

I loved Nagito using "You've got that wrong."

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013
Great update, so I assume next update will finally bring this chapter to a close.

So was Komaeda's duel seriously just Komaeda putting out an argument he knew was false from the start? He really is a psychotically swell guy who wants the others to reach their own conclusion, isn't he?

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
I had not even considered using the stove as a light source (I'm sure someone in this thread did already, but it was probably hidden under the mess of other speculations that kept popping up again and again.) Nice knowing you, Hanamura!

Also good on Mikan continuing to be more assertive, too.

MiyokoBlade
Mar 28, 2013
The only one who would have access to a light source would be the person in the kitchen. Plus they'd have to be near a set of fire doors to make the escape route over to the storage room. Hanamura seems to be the most likely to pull this off.

Komaeda feels like the complete opposite of Naegi. Komaeda is trying to bring the students to the correct culprit, but he seems to be doing such in a roundabout way. Kinda reminds me a bit of Togami from the first game in Chapter 2. He's just screwing about with people because it's fun? It's like he's a psychotic anti-hero in that sorts. Naegi and Komaeda are like two sides of the same coin. Kinda funny when you find out they are both voiced by the same person. And another thing, this is just me...but Komaeda's voice is sorta creepy yet comforting to hear. I think Komaeda likes screwing with Hinata the most. I might have found a pairing possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I'm unreasonably happy at the fact the characters were actually saying what I thought they were. It's just like the feeling of getting a theory right in a murder mystery, except with more linguistics and no mystery solving at all--so it's not alike at all. So really I have no idea what I'm saying but I'm sure some of you know what I mean. I really love the dynamic between Hinata and Nagito, if only because it highlights how Hinata is more assertive than Naegi. I thought the DR2 cast seemed less fun than the first one at first but the trial really makes them start to make them feel fun.

VoidBurger posted:

Why would you a post filled with HelloWinter's art make you not want to read something? Those are amazing!

• Locked thread