Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

I just realized something, guys. We've all assumed that the missing skewer was missing because someone hid it to murder with... what if that's not the case? What if the skewer, like the devildog earring, fell through the crack? Li'l dumpy crawls under the floor during the party, maybe for peeking up girl's skirt, maybe to look for the skewer, maybe because he's psychic. Either way, he finds the skewer, and the lights go out. Notices the glow through the cracks of the floor, sees the knife, and takes the opportunity to get his stab on. ditches the skewer, runs for the storage room, and hopes that nobody figures out what really happened.

No, the skewer was missing before the party began, and Hanamura said he didn't know what happened to it. If he had already dropped it and wasn't planning to murder with it he would've just said it dropped through the cracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dereich
Feb 20, 2013

Now I know that Nagito's "you've got that wrong" animation stole the show, but can we acknowledge how great the "I concur" sequences are?

dragonsroar
Mar 19, 2013
I was doubtful about Hanamura being the culprit, but it looks like it actually was him. I don't think the game could throw us for another loop.... (Or could it?)
Also, Gundam's little animation sequence was absolutely adorable. Gotta love that guy.

RedMagus posted:

roar, do you have like a website or something? I want to share this but give you credit where credit is really drat well due!
My artblog is here, but it's okay to just credit me as dragonsroar from the Something Awful forums. Credit isn't that big of a deal to me, just as long as people aren't saying my stuff is theirs haha.

Lastly, here's a quick and messy paint of Ibuki I did today for practice... She's been so funny in the recent trials that I had to draw her.

Also I heard remarks of my art not seeming too "spoiler-y", but I promise I know absolutely nothing about the rest of sdr2 aside from the updates in this thread. I've seriously been avoiding spoilers like the plague, so any similarities between potential spoilers and my art is completely coincidental.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

CaptainFish posted:

Not sure how it's possible to think of anything else during this exchange...

So, Hinata-kun! How about a little one-on-one with me?!

O...One-on-one...? Is he... enjoying this...? Is this a game to him?

poo poo! I can't lose to someone like him!

Can't wait to see the final breakdown comic. Hope it hasn't changed that much, I always liked how distressed/sinister the identity-less culprit looked in them.

Not even in this place I can escape you, Barkley.

Dereich posted:

Now I know that Nagito's "you've got that wrong" animation stole the show, but can we acknowledge how great the "I concur" sequences are?

This is true, and it may be related cause both things are rather new.
In DR1, only Naegi would be the one doing the objections and everyone else would be wrong. A nice change of style that looks really drat good at the same time.

Shadoweh
Jan 4, 2013

orenronen posted:

In that case, not only did he have a perfect view of the girls' panties...
That's just you...
No Hanamura, tell us how you really feel.

I can't think of a reason he'd have the stove ready and run under the crawlspace in the middle of a power outage if he wasn't going to take advantage of the moment, so sadly I'm going to concede that he really thought murder was a good idea.

I like to think Nagito was just going to throw the knife and trust his Super High School Level Good Luck to fatally strike someone in the dark.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm surprised how many people still were thinking that Hanamura went below the floor for perversion and ended up accidentally killing someone. We've known about the tablecloth for ages. Aside from the idiocy of trying to poke holes in the carpet randomly, while hoping to not stab someone's foot, the culprit stabbed Togami 8 times. That's not an accident.

I think Nagito might have tried stabbing someone once and leaving the knife in. That might have kept down the amount of blood.

The basketball images are great.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

-- What was that noise?

Kyouko Kirigiri instinctively stopped moving. She thought she’d heard a sound like a bell clanging, but when she listened attentively the corridor was as still and silent as ever.

-- Did I imagine it?

Usually, she would have stopped and investigated until she could tell for sure, but right now she had something far more important to do. And so, she took off quickly toward her destination.

Kyouko walked briskly down a corridor of Hope’s Peak Academy’s staff building, a place students are normally forbidden to enter. The sound of her footsteps echoed coldly through the dim corridor. There was no sign of people in the staff building this late at night - she hadn’t passed anyone on the way here, and she most likely wouldn’t pass anyone going forward.

She reached her destination in no time at all.

A plaque reading “Headmaster’s Office” adorned the door in front of her eyes. Kyouko glared at it for a moment, and then pushed the door open without knocking.

“You’re already here. That was fast,” said Jin Kirigiri, who was sitting at a desk deep inside the office. He was smiling.

Kyouko surveyed the room quickly, as was her habit when entering an unfamiliar place. Her first and only impression was “it’s dirty.” Cardboard boxes and documents were piled everywhere without rhyme or reason.

“...I’ve been too busy since we moved here, so I haven’t had time to put things in order,” said Kirigiri, having noticed where Kyouko was looking. Nevertheless, Kyouko’s reply was surly and indifferent. She moved straight on to the subject at hand, indicating no interest in small talk.

“I just came from meeting a member of the steering committee, but someone got in our way.” Kirigiri was about to say something in surprise, but Kyouko quickly continued as if to say it was not yet time for such a reaction. “He was killed. In front of my eyes.”

“...K...Killed?”

“But, his body disappeared soon after that...”

“...Disappeared?” Despite only managing to repeat her words, Kirigiri’s face grew deeply concerned. Nevertheless, Kyouko didn’t seem to take notice, and continued speaking in the same indifferent tone.

“But, don’t you think that’s strange? They killed him as if trying to show off in front of me, and then they took the body away, like they wanted to hide it... If they wanted to show off, what purpose does hiding the body serve? I have a bad feeling about this.” Kyouko seemed to be getting more and more passionate as she went on, and spoke faster and faster. “Furthermore, didn’t another committee member go missing yesterday? He may also be in danger. We should find a way to contact and warn him. No, not just him - the whole committee is also --”

“W...Wait a moment!” Kirigiri couldn’t take it anymore, and rose up from his chair. “A...Are you sure he was dead...?”

Kyouko said nothing, but her grim face was all the answer he needed. Kirigiri felt an intense feeling of exhaustion taking over his body and sank back into his chair. “Why would... such a thing...?” He heard Kyouko letting out a long, slow sigh in response to his question.

“...I’m not sure about the hiding, but I have a guess as to why he was killed.”

“Y...You do?” Kirigiri slapped his hands on the desk, and looked energized again. “Tell me. Why?”

Watching him, Kyouko felt a sense of disappointment washing over her. Her emotion was reflected in her eyes, which seemed to be asking why he couldn’t even figure that out on his own. Worse, he didn’t even notice that.

“...Please. Tell me.”

Kyouko sighed another deep sigh and answered quietly. “Making that big of a show when killing someone can only mean it’s a warning... and if that’s the case, killing a member of the steering committee is surely in response to ‘that incident’.”

Jin Kirigiri gulped loudly. “So you... know about that already? About the Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History...”

“To a certain extent.”

Contrasting Kyouko’s calm answer, Kirigiri’s face turned sour.

“I see...” he spat out, and slowly leaned back into his chair. Then, after blinking several times in an attempt to regain his composure, he asked her another question.

“Are you saying he was killed because we are covering up the existence of that incident?”

“No, there’s more to it than that.” Kyoko shook her head lightly. “The steering committee hasn’t just been covering up the existence of the incident. They’ve been hiding something else. Something important. I think that's why he was killed."

Kirigiri’s expression turned thoughtful in an instant. Then, he whispered quietly. “Perhaps... is it because the committee knows the identity of the culprit and are harboring them?”

Kyouko’s eyebrows raised slightly in reaction. “You... know about that?” For the first time since she entered the room, her eyes met Kirigiri’s. “I never thought you knew about the culprit conspiracy. I didn’t think you’d give me this job if you did... But... I guess you’re in on it after all.” Her words carried a hint of anger.

“No, that’s not it.” Kirigiri shook his head, flustered. “I was never told about the culprit, or the plan to harbor them. The committee decided that all on their own. I didn’t hear about it from them - I did my own little investigation.”

Kyouko’s frown grew deeper. “You... did your own investigation?”

“That’s not that strange, is it?” Kirigiri smiled a bitter smile. “I can manage that much when my mind’s on it. I mean, I do have the blood of a detective family running through my --”

“Enough!” Kyouko’s voice suddenly rose. Kirigiri raised his head in surprise, and found her glaring at him. She wasn’t even trying to hide the anger boiling up inside her, and it was reflected in her eyes. She wasn’t angry at her employer or her headmaster. She was angry at her detested father.

“Don’t even dare joking about that!”

And that’s why --

“I’m sorry.”

-- He had no choice but to apologize.

“...That was thoughtless of me.” He bowed his head deeply.

His circumstances didn’t matter. His own feelings didn’t matter. From her point of view, he was simply a man who abandoned his family. That much was unquestionable. He didn’t want to make any excuses. It’s not like he could, anyway.

But, perhaps, some day, he could at least convey his own feelings to her --

-- No, those are just selfish thoughts.

“...Forget it.” He raised his head at her voice. She was leaning on a bookshelf in the corner of the room, and her expression was back to its calm self. “We’ve gotten off topic.” Her voice was cool and composed.

“I’m sorry, you’re right...” He let out a deep sigh. But, just as he was about to let his attention relax, two words assaulted him, as if in a surprise attack. They were cold, sharp words that seemed to pierce the air.

“It was Izuru Kamukura... wasn’t it?”

Kirigiri reacted instinctively. His eyes, his fingertips, his breath... Kyouko did not miss his reaction.

“...So it was...”

His entire body was arrested by the look she gave him. He remembered that look. No, he couldn’t just remember it - she had the eyes of a detective family. The eyes he hated and feared. The eyes that could pierce anyone’s inner thoughts, creep through their minds and leave nothing unrevealed.

His own daughter giving him this awe-inspiring look... Kirigiri’s frown loosened, just a little.

-- As expected from a heir to the Kirigiri family!
-- Such outstanding talent!

“...Is something funny?” Kyouko asked, watching his face, as if taking him to task.

“No, I was just admiring you.” The smile hasn’t left Kirigiri’s face. “I instructed you to find Izuru Kamukura, and in such a short time you have not only discovered the existence of the Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History, but also guessed correctly that Izuru Kamakura was responsible for it... That is amazing.” He spoke fast, in excitement.

“Well, then. How about you tell me the rest? Who is Izuru Kamukura? I can’t even tell if it’s a man or a woman by that name alone...”

Kirigiri shook his head. “I told you before. I can’t tell you that.” The smile disappeared from his face.

“...I see. Fine, then.” Kyouko was quickly getting ready to leave, as if to say she’d find out herself regardless. She looked at her feet and continued in her disinterested tone. “...But, I don’t understand this at all. Why would you ask me to find Kamukura for you if you know he’s the culprit? Aren’t you trying to cover up this incident? If so, you should just let the committee shelter Kamukura, and do nothing.”

“No, I can’t just leave it up to them.”

“Oh?” Kyouko’s mouth twisted unnaturally. “So, you don’t trust them either?”

“No, that’s not it.” Kirigiri’s voice turned cold. “It’s just that I don’t think they know what they’re doing. I think... they’re making a big mistake.”

“A mistake?”

“They think that if they can cover up this incident, it’s all over... But I don’t think that’s true.”

Kyouko listened carefully to Kirigiri’s explanation without interjecting.

That incident is not yet over. I feel like something is still going on somewhere out there... I hope it’s just my imagination, but if it isn’t, this may turn into something we can’t undo. That’s why I must hear what Izuru Kamukura has to say. But, the committee isn’t revealing where Kamukura is. They don’t trust me.”

“............”

Something bothered Kyouko. It had less to do with what he was saying, and more with his demeanor as he was telling her about his fear that the incident was far from over. His tone of voice and gestures were certainly grave, but that was not all. She felt just a tiny hint of a different emotion hidden in them.

She suddenly remembered her grandfather.

Kyouko’s grandfather, Jin Kirigiri’s father, was still the head of the Kirigiri family, on active duty as a detective. She remembered her first accomplishment as a detective. She was officially acting as an assistant on the case, but was successful beyond anyone’s imagination. Her grandfather, being her guardian at the time, had been observing her closely. She remembered him narrowing his eyes without saying a word, the expression on his face going far beyond simple joy or excitement.

She thought her father’s expression now resembled her grandfather’s expression then.

But she didn’t dare say a word. It would be an insult to her grandfather, who she revered.

“...Is something wrong?”

The question made her realise she’s been quiet for a while.

“It’s nothing.” Kyouko pulled herself together, softly brushing away a strand of hair. “Fine. I understand why you asked me to search for Kamukura now. In short, you couldn’t do it yourself without drawing the committee’s attention.” Then, she pointed her piercing eyes toward Kirigiri again. “But, are you sure it was a good idea to confide in me?”

Kirigiri’s expression turned worried. “...What do you mean?”

“I told you from the very beginning, didn’t I? The steering committee is being targeted because they’re sheltering the incident’s culprit, which means...”

“...The culprit is someone who is searching for Kamukura --” Kirigiri suddenly realised what he was saying, and a stiff smile appeared on his face. “In that case, what you’re trying to say is that I am a suspect.”

“That’s right. Although I already know it’s not you.” Kyouko folded her arms in front of her chest. “Right after the body disappeared, I made a phone call to this room... You answered straight away, so unfortunately, you have an alibi.”

“‘Unfortunately’? That’s a bit much, isn’t it?” Kirigiri’s stiff smile turned into a bitter one.

“Furthermore, don’t you think you have other reasons to worry? When I find Izuru Kamukura... what if I decide to call the police before coming to you?”

“No, I’m not worried about that at all.” Kirigiri answered, as if mocking the suggestion. “Much as the law is important to the police, the most important thing to a detective is the client. As long as you are a Super High-school Level Detective, you will not break our deal.” Even if you really detest your employer, he thought to himself.

“Is that why you hired me? You thought it would be bad if I came sniffing about the incident on my own, so you thought you’d keep me quiet by giving me a job?” Her words were tinted with emotion. Kyouko herself felt that. She immediately regretted saying them.

“If that’s what my words implied, I apologize. The only reason I hired you is because I needed your talent. I had no ulterior motives.”

He chose his words carefully. It was clear that he was worried, and that made Kyouko even angrier. She was also mad at herself for letting him get to her. She thought she had put it all behind her - she wasn’t supposed to feel anything for her father anymore. She wasn’t even supposed to resent him. That’s why she accepted the job - It was supposed to be just like any other case. So why was she choosing such sharp words every time she spoke? It was like --

-- I’m like a spoiled child, looking for attention.

“I’ve had enough of this idle chatter,” she said in a strained voice, trying to rid the thought from her head. “In any case, we can’t have any more victims. I think it’s a good idea for you to warn the rest of the committee members. Tell them if they continue to harbor Izuru Kamukura, it’s likely more people are going to end up dead.”

“Yes, of course...” They both knew the committee were unlikely to listen, but neither of them said it out loud. They both knew it would be useless to mention it.

“...I’ll be going now.” Kyouko turned her back on Kirigiri without giving him another look. She was on her way to the door when an unexpected voice came from behind her back.

“This job turned out much more dangerous than I imagined...”

Kyouko stopped in her tracks. “So?” She turned her head back. “I am a detective. Heir to the Kirigiri family.”

“...I thought that’s what you’d say.”

Kyouko sensed those words were leading to another unwanted emotion, and started moving quickly to the door again. When she reached for the doorknob, her father spoke again behind her.

“The preparatory school’s ‘parade’ is growing more radical by the day...” His voice was unusually tense. “I feel the timing is too perfect. It can’t be unrelated to that incident. What I’m trying to say is...” Kirigiri cleared his throat, and changed to a natural tone of voice.

“...Be careful.”

He sounded like a father talking to his daughter before she went out for the evening. Nevertheless, Kyouko’s reaction was a blunt one. That is to say, she didn’t react at all. She just kept silent as she left the headmaster’s office.

After hearing the door close loudly, Kirigiri let out a deep sigh and leaned back into his chair, but his face showed a hint of a smile.

-- That truly is one incredible talent she has.

He whispered those words inside his heart, and the smile on his face grew wider.

After leaving the headmaster’s office, Kyouko walked back through the corridors as fast as when she arrived. Her face was emotionless.

Then, without changing her expression, she suddenly whispered.

“...He didn’t have to say that. I know already.”

The whisper only she herself could hear soon vanished into the air. And then, she herself vanished too, deep into the dark corridors.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
So the culprit behind the Worst Incident in Hope Peak's History, or whatever the actual name of the event was, was this Izuru Kamukura person. He, assuming that Kamukura is male, is probably a member of SHSL Despair, or entirely unimportant, either is as likely as the other. I wonder if we'll ever get to see the prep school's 'parade' at some point.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I half thought it'd have been Junko who'd be the person of interest. Also, holy poo poo, Papa Kirigiri has a face.

I wish we knew anything at all about this Kamukura person. I think the only thing we can really extrapolate that the text didn't say explicitly is he or she has some definite relationship with Junko. Unless the name is a Junko alias (doubtful judging from how it's used) the connection would seem to imply way more motive on Junko's part than sheer randomness.

It's kind of depressing to know that Kirigiri's doomed not to solve this one; otherwise it's not plausible that she'd volunteer to be locked in a school building with Junko for the rest of her life.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CaptainFish posted:

Not sure how it's possible to think of anything else during this exchange...

So, Hinata-kun! How about a little one-on-one with me?!

O...One-on-one...? Is he... enjoying this...? Is this a game to him?

poo poo! I can't lose to someone like him!

Can't wait to see the final breakdown comic. Hope it hasn't changed that much, I always liked how distressed/sinister the identity-less culprit looked in them.

muike posted:

If you can't Super High School Level Slam with the best, then you can jam with the rest.

Looks like it's time for some music (polsy, and the video has no spoilers):
http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnxaxHa7wZ7Q

RefinedUndefined posted:

So the culprit behind the Worst Incident in Hope Peak's History, or whatever the actual name of the event was, was this Izuru Kamukura person.

I remember orenoren mentioning that DR0 contains spoilers for DR2- what if Hinata or Nagito are Izuru? Does 'Izuru Kamukura' mean anything specific in Japanese (like 'Mukuro Ikusaba' meant 'Corpse Warblade')? It would certainly make sense for someone wanting to redeem or punish the chief perpetrator of the Worst Incident/SHSL Despair to begin by wiping out their memory.

EDIT: Yeah, I meant Nagito, sorry.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 2, 2013

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

CommissarMega posted:

I remember orenoren mentioning that DR0 contains spoilers for DR2- what if Hinata or Naegi are Izuru?

I think you mean Nagito, not Naegi, even if that would one hell of a plot twist. As for the suggestion itself, that would be interesting to see, especially how the character in question would react to being the person who caused the collapse of society, or at least, the beginning of the collapse of society.

RefinedUndefined fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 2, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Those are some hilariously drawn proportions, she'd put Chun-Li to shame.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

I remember orenoren mentioning that DR0 contains spoilers for DR2

DR/Zero contains no "spoilers" for DR2 - it comes first in the recommended reading order. It contains setup for DR2.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
It seems this Izuru Kamukura person must be of some importance if Kyouko recognized that name. Combining that with the fact that the steering committee is sheltering him/her, perhaps the "SHSL modified student went berserk and killed a bunch of students" theory is possible after all.

orenronen posted:

DR/Zero contains no "spoilers" for DR2 - it comes first in the recommended reading order. It contains setup for DR2.

Even before DR1 when the first sentence of DR0 spoils DR1's culprit right away? :monocle:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Jeek posted:

It seems this Izuru Kamukura person must be of some importance if Kyouko recognized that name. Combining that with the fact that the steering committee is sheltering him/her, perhaps the "SHSL modified student went berserk and killed a bunch of students" theory is possible after all.

Even before DR1 when the first sentence of DR0 spoils DR1's culprit right away? :monocle:

Kyouko recognized the name because her father hired her to search for Kamukura (though he didn't tell her anything else about him/her). It says so right there in the chapter.

By "first" I didn't mean "first in the series". I meant "before DR2". That also should have been obvious by my phrasing. Why even make that comment?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Boy this artist sure likes thighs.

Anyway, DR0 remains pretty dull. Hope we get some actual payoff soon.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kirigiri Sr. looks a lot like Hinata.

Mind, that's because they both look kinda generic, and pretty much everybody in Dangan Ronpa would look nearly identical if you shaved their heads and put them in the same clothes.

BigDB
Mar 21, 2013
So if Izuru Kamukura is the one responsible for the incident, how does Junko play into this? Or is she just using the incident as an excuse to do what she wants?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

BigDB posted:

So if Izuru Kamukura is the one responsible for the incident, how does Junko play into this? Or is she just using the incident as an excuse to do what she wants?

Knowing Junko, the answer is probably some incredibly stupid poo poo about despair.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

orenronen posted:

Why even make that comment?

Because goons are extremely stupid.

I kind of had trouble understanding this part, this is a meeting between Kirigiri from the first game and her father, right? I found it kind of hard to follow the writing cause everyone is called Kirigiri. This is also because I'm extremely stupid.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

The Devil Tesla posted:

Because goons are extremely stupid.

I kind of had trouble understanding this part, this is a meeting between Kirigiri from the first game and her father, right? I found it kind of hard to follow the writing cause everyone is called Kirigiri. This is also because I'm extremely stupid.
Kyouko is her first name and Kirigiri is the family name. And the novel does differentiate between them by calling her Kyouko and her father just Kirigiri. But yes, this is the same Kyouko Kirigiri from DR1, as DR0 is set periodically before the first game, but is written with the assumption that you know DR1 given the release dates.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Looks like they're throwing a lot of stuff at you in the first case compared to the first game. Seems like they expect you to be at least passingly familiar with DR1 before playing this game.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'm assuming it has something to do with Japanese courtesy, calling the daughter by her given name and the father by his family name (much like how children in the US usually don't call adults by their first name). Another example of this is Persona 4: Nanako Dojima is called Nanako by others, while Ryotaro Dojima is called Dojima.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

lotus circle posted:

Kyouko is her first name and Kirigiri is the family name. And the novel does differentiate between them by calling her Kyouko and her father just Kirigiri. But yes, this is the same Kyouko Kirigiri from DR1, as DR0 is set periodically before the first game, but is written with the assumption that you know DR1 given the release dates.

I'll admit it threw me for a minute too, and I think calling her father Kirigiri might have to do with it being seen as improper to refer to an elder by their first name in Japanese or something, but I realized pretty quickly that SHSL-Detective was always Kyouko and her pappy was always Kirigiri it was simple to follow from there.

All told I'm honestly liking DR0. I think when it's all finished I might go back and reread it in one sitting, as I suspect it might flow better like that.

Edit: gently caress, beaten. By a drat sand-hippo too.

dooplighost
Mar 28, 2013
Still think it's annoying that Pekoyama claims to have been in in the bathroom the whole time. Since she still needed to go when the investigation was happening. Oh well, maybe they have an explanation for it, or just overlooked it (ithinkshedidit).

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

dooplighost posted:

Still think it's annoying that Pekoyama claims to have been in in the bathroom the whole time. Since she still needed to go when the investigation was happening. Oh well, maybe they have an explanation for it, or just overlooked it (ithinkshedidit).

Why do you think she did it? There's no evidence pointing towards her. She would also have no light to navigate the darkness.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

dooplighost posted:

Well, traditionally, when one is suffering from food poisoning, they poop a lot. Sometimes, they poop so much that they require multiple trips to the bathroom!

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Jeek posted:

You only know that due to having seen the LP for DR1 first, in theory, if you read DR0 first, then played DR1, if you were suspecting Junko, you would be thrown for a loop when she is "killed". I think it's kind of brilliant actually.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Phelddagrif posted:

I'm assuming it has something to do with Japanese courtesy, calling the daughter by her given name and the father by his family name (much like how children in the US usually don't call adults by their first name). Another example of this is Persona 4: Nanako Dojima is called Nanako by others, while Ryotaro Dojima is called Dojima.

I would call him Dojima because he's the kind of dude who would casually snap me in two for calling him Ryoutaro. His facial expression wouldn't even change as I break cleanly, spraying blood on the wall.

numerrik posted:

You only know that due to having seen the LP for DR1 first, in theory, if you read DR0 first, then played DR1, if you were suspecting Junko, you would be thrown for a loop when she is "killed". I think it's kind of brilliant actually.

Yeah I had DR1 spoiled for me ages ago and after her death in Chapter 1 I figured I'd just been trolled. There's literally only one proper hint prior to it being made obvious and that's the exploded corpse's 3-sizes matching Junko's in the character cards.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

dooplighost posted:

Go back to tumblr.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Verbose posted:

Looks like they're throwing a lot of stuff at you in the first case compared to the first game. Seems like they expect you to be at least passingly familiar with DR1 before playing this game.

Based on the plot so far, I'd say the writers are expecting you to be completely familiar with DR1 before starting this game. After all, twists such as Nagito being batshit insane and Togami being a relatively decent guy (and the first victim) wouldn't have quite the same effect if you weren't familiar with their DR1 counterparts.

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, traditionally, when one is suffering from food poisoning, they poop a lot. Sometimes, they poop so much that they require multiple trips to the bathroom!

Except that the trial explicitly ruled out food poisoning, which makes Peko's stomach troubles just a weird coincidence, I guess.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

numerrik posted:

I don't how DR0 ends, so maybe something will change by then, but considering that the Junko we've met in DR0 and the Junko we met at the beginning of DR1 behave so thoroughly differently, I would think it'd create the (correct) suspicion that they were actually different characters.

Kanfy posted:

Those are some hilariously drawn proportions, she'd put Chun-Li to shame.

Rodyle posted:

Boy this artist sure likes thighs.

DR0 is an anime tribute to Robert Crumb. :v:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I half thought it'd have been Junko who'd be the person of interest. Also, holy poo poo, Papa Kirigiri has a face.

I wish we knew anything at all about this Kamukura person. I think the only thing we can really extrapolate that the text didn't say explicitly is he or she has some definite relationship with Junko. Unless the name is a Junko alias (doubtful judging from how it's used) the connection would seem to imply way more motive on Junko's part than sheer randomness.

It's kind of depressing to know that Kirigiri's doomed not to solve this one; otherwise it's not plausible that she'd volunteer to be locked in a school building with Junko for the rest of her life.

Now that you mention it, it's been seriously bugging me that the snake-face guy and Matsuda both seem to know there's something up with Junko, but the super detective family Kirigiris don't. If they had any inkling of how crazy Junko was, or her connection to SHSL Despair, why would she and her sister be invited into the shelter?

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Bifauxnen posted:

Now that you mention it, it's been seriously bugging me that the snake-face guy and Matsuda both seem to know there's something up with Junko, but the super detective family Kirigiris don't. If they had any inkling of how crazy Junko was, or her connection to SHSL Despair, why would she and her sister be invited into the shelter?

Every time we've seen Junko so far in DR0, she's been by herself, and/or actively engaging in "full despair" activities. In order to sell the idea of Junko making it into the shelter without suspicion, we're going to need a few scenes showing that she can act like a normal person when she wants to. Maybe she'll decide to "help" Kirigiri with her investigation, using this Kamakura person as a scapegoat while manipulating her into publicly exposing the Despairing Incident. After all, it would be especially despairing to find out that while trying to stop the Despair Organization, you've been playing into their hands the whole time.

Then again, Fukawa managed to get inside, suggesting that the headmaster didn't know about Genocider Syo. Maybe things had gone to poo poo to the point where they had to save every super high-school student, even the crazy ones like Syo or Junko. Or maybe Junko and Mukuro weren't supposed to be there, but managed to sneak in under the headmaster's nose(we didn't see either of their interviews, after all).

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 2, 2013

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wyvernil posted:

Every time we've seen Junko so far in DR0, she's been by herself, and/or actively engaging in "full despair" activities. In order to sell the idea of Junko making it into the shelter without suspicion, we're going to need a few scenes showing that she can act like a normal person when she wants to. Maybe she'll decide to "help" Kirigiri with her investigation, using this Kamakura person as a scapegoat while manipulating her into publicly exposing the Despairing Incident. After all, it would be especially despairing to find out that while trying to stop the Despair Organization, you've been playing into their hands the whole time.

Then again, Fukawa managed to get inside, suggesting that the headmaster didn't know about Genocider Syo. Maybe things had gone to poo poo to the point where they had to save every super high-school student, even the crazy ones like Syo or Junko. Or maybe Junko and Mukuro weren't supposed to be there, but managed to sneak in under the headmaster's nose(we didn't see either of their interviews, after all).

What'd probably bother me more is that the police or anybody never bothered to consult the SHSL Detective family in the Genocider Syo case that stymied them for years.

On the topic of old cast members, I'm hoping we'll get to see Celes or Ishimaru - those two were the only ones that really 'failed' in their SHSL ability during the game - Celes failed to pull off her ultimate gamble, and Ishimaru couldn't keep order within the DR1 cast.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
Was it timed just how long the blackout lasted? Maybe 30 seconds or something? Though at this point I think its beyond a reasonable doubt that Hanamura is the killer, I'm trying to think about how much he had to travel to get into position and kill before the lights came back on. Also if he could see something like glow in the dark PAINT from under the floor then surely people would have been able to see a gas flame through the same floor. Unless he managed to guesstimate where he needed to crouch, turned the flame out and then...waited. Which I guess meant his target was Nagito

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011
Unfortunately the length of the blackout hasn't been given an exact time, but it sounds like it lasted for at least a few minutes.
From the end of update 23:

orenronen posted:

We waited in the darkness for a while, waiting to finally be released from this anxiety.

We waited for a while, and then, finally...

Music fades out

* ka-chack! *

Ah...!

The light finally returned to the hall... but then, suddenly...

...We noticed the shocking sight in front of our eyes.

Catastrophics fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 2, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DR0 reads a whole lot better when we're seeing it from the perspective of a familiar, likable protagonist. I've missed Kirigiri.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Hey I know Dangan Ronpa is anime as gently caress but I still can't get over the fact that Kirigiri senior looks like a teenage boy despite the fact that he is probably is in his late-thirties or early forties. Come on Dangan Ronpa Zero artist I know that you can only draw anime high schoolers but can you at least give the guy some facial hair so he actually looks like a fatherly figure.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Regy Rusty posted:

DR0 reads a whole lot better when we're seeing it from the perspective of a familiar, likable protagonist. I've missed Kirigiri.

Definitely. I like Otonashi well enough, and I think she's written surprisingly well in terms of portraying her cognitive impairment from her own POV, but her POV has inevitable problems with describing objective events in a comprehensible way. That, and it's nice to see that Kirigiri and her dad did get to interact before the enskullening, even if it's unclear whether they're actually going to reconcile and Kirigiri will forget it even if they do.

• Locked thread