Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

orenronen posted:

Things like executions and deaths aren't spoiled in official merchandise unless you're actively listening to the soundtrack CD.

Am I misreading this, or are you telling me there are audio spoilers and not just track titles? Because if so then I'll hold off on ordering the soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Batman
Jun 28, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

Am I misreading this, or are you telling me there are audio spoilers and not just track titles? Because if so then I'll hold off on ordering the soundtrack.

You're not misreading it.

:negative:
couldn't you just buy it now and put it away until the end, though?

Chinese Batman fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 9, 2013

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Volt Catfish posted:

He said previously that there were certain audio cues that could be used to connect execution music to the characters who were being executed.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

I mentioned this before - the soundtrack contains two types of audio spoilers: one is execution music containing audio cues suggesting who it is that's being executed. The other is alternate versions of some tracks we've already heard that also kind of spoil something from later in the game.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
You get audio cues like the VA's saying "Hello my name is _____ and I am being executed oh no"

(in perfect English)

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 18, 2014

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
I would just take Oren's word for it and let it rest until the time comes.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

getitoffgetitoff posted:

You get audio cues like the VA's saying "Hello my name is _____ and I am being executed oh no"

(in perfect English)

That sounds utterly hilarious.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

DiabloCthulhu posted:

On somewhat related note. Orenronen, are there pictures from virtual Monomono Machine on the DR2 official page that can be considered as spoilers (or can lead to a certain conclusions)?
Nope, it's all official artwork that we already have. You can get it all here.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

getitoffgetitoff posted:

(in perfect English)
you forgot the part where they say "I killed _____ and I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids and your talking bear and/or rabbit"

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

orenronen posted:

As a whole, you shouldn't worry too much about spoilers from merchandise - as people said, the "secret" keyholders are spoilers, but they're usually sold sealed in opaque plastic bags. There are stores out there who sell them individually after they've been open, though, but you'll probably have to look hard to find them.

Even then, I don't think there's anything as spoilery as Junko with Monobear hairclips for this game. You may run into something that shows up later but you probably will not be able to figure out exactly what any of it means without proper context. Things like executions and deaths aren't spoiled in official merchandise unless you're actively listening to the soundtrack CD.

Ah cool :) Thanks for the info! (And thanks to the other folks too!)

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

getitoffgetitoff posted:

(in perfect English)
No, more like the songs have audio cues that are themed on the character being executed. Basically unless you actively avoid some songs on the soundtrack, you'll end up connecting the dots and spoiling the executions due to this.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Earlier in the thread some people came up with plausible audio cues for every single character, so I wouldn't take the existence of audio spoilers as a spoiler itself. That said, it's probably best to not speculate on it anymore. Let's just look forward to Monobear gettin' his execution on pretty soon.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

psychoticBacofoil posted:

No, more like the songs have audio cues that are themed on the character being executed. Basically unless you actively avoid some songs on the soundtrack, you'll end up connecting the dots and spoiling the executions due to this.

Wow thanks for that correction we all totally thought they were right and the soundtrack had english voice acted clips in it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

psychoticBacofoil posted:

WHAT IS JOKE?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Maybe all the execution tracks start off like the intro to a No More Heroes boss area? :v:

~NEKOMARU NIDAI: SHIIIT~

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 18, 2014

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Important announcement from the Hope's Peak Academy Field Trip Executive Committee: I know some of you are simply watching the videos instead of reading through the update. If this applies to you, please note that there's a lengthy piece of commentary from me at the very end of this update.

Trial 18 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 18 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

IT COULD ONLY HAVE BEEN YOU!

Hanamura... It was you, wasn't it?

Eh, what?! What’re you talking about?!

H...Hanamura is the culprit...? Really?!

W-W-What’re you saying?! There's no way it's me!

This is just my theory right now, of course... so, if you have any counterarguments, by all means, let's hear them.

C-C-Counterarguments...? W...Why’re you even treating me like a culprit...?

Because... the portable stove that was used as a light was in the kitchen.

T...T...That's why you think I'm the culprit?! That's just arbitrary!

It's cruel! You’re far too cruel!!

Ah... Hanamura-kun... This isn’t like you at all.
You're in possession of a wonderful talent... You’re a Super High-school Level Cook. You can't just break apart like that...

C...Chef... I’m a Chef...

If you succumb to these dubious aspersions, who’s going to hold the culinary world together?

T...The culinary world...?

Yes! For the sake of the future of cuisine, pull yourself together, and face the accusations!

T...That's right... Yes, you're right...!

By the way, what’s an “aspersion”? Does it taste good?

Asbestos is also excellent, you know. How about you try some later?

Komaeda... Why are you poking your nose into this?!

Let's assume the culprit did use light. And let's assume they used the fire doors to mask their actions...
That would get them to the storage room and then allow them to crawl under the floor. But what then?
The crawlspace is completely dark too. How did they manage to stab Togami-kun?

Don't try to tell me they had the stove on as they stabbed. If they did that, the target would spot them, and the game would be up!

T...That's right... What do you have to say about that?!

T...That's...

You can't answer, can you? After all... you never investigated the crawlspace yourself, did you?

We can ask Tanaka! He's actually been in there!

...Regrettably, nothing remained of the murderer’s paraphernalia in that dark dimension...
All was void, save for a ghostly phosphorescence around the blood pooled on the floor...

W...What?! Did you say... there was light there?!

That sounds super-important!

If there was a "glowing landmark", it was possible to move to that location even during the blackout.

And after they moved to the designated location, they could target what that landmark was attached to, couldn't they?

The target... attached to the landmark?

That "landmark" must have been...

Knife

THAT PROVES IT!

The landmark was the glow-in-the-dark paint the knife was painted with, wasn't it?

Ah! Even in the dark, all they’d have to do is aim for the glow-in-the-dark paint!

Of course... the culprit didn't aim for a person... They aimed for the paint when it moved!

That would be the moment someone took hold of the knife, wouldn't it!

So... the same landmark I prepared so I could find the knife was used by the culprit for his attack...

I see... and that's why Togami, who took the knife, was killed...

But, if the culprit used that landmark, it would mean they knew about Komaeda-kun's plan, wouldn't it?

What do you have to say to that, Hanamura?!!

I... I know nothing... I really know nothing, I'm telling you...

In that case, how about I pose a question for everyone?

W...Why are you butting in again?! Give us a break, already!

Now, now! It's only fair to give everyone a chance to speak!

Let's say Hanamura-kun is the culprit. That would mean he went to the storage room during the blackout.
In that case, what was that conversation Mioda-san heard in the dark?

Waaah! Don't step on my feet!
Oy, what are you doing?!
Stop it!!
Ow!
Turn on the lights! It’s hard to eat this way!
Hey, everyone! Where are you? T...This power outage... it isn't just in the kitchen?

She heard Hanamura's voice... in the hall?

I think that proves Hanamura-kun was in the big hall during the blackout...

T...That's right! That's exactly right!!

But, when the lights went out you were in the kitchen, weren't you? So... how did you get to the hall?

I...I thought the power outage was only in the kitchen, so I left it in a panic...
The corridors were dark as well, of course... so I followed everyone's voices and used the walls as a guide to move.

Hmm... It’s certainly possible to move from the kitchen to the halls by following the walls... but...

...Something stinks here!

You can tell that someone is lying by licking their sweat, can't you, Owari-san?

In that case, come here and lick me!

I don't wanna! You're greasy!

But, Ibuki definitely heard Teruteru-chan's voice in the hall! Ibuki's entire character setup hangs on that!

That's right, Hanamura-kun wasn't in the storage room. He was in the hall. In other words... he can’t have been the culprit.

...No, that's not what it means.

W...Why...?

Why do you keep making all these accusations against me?!

It's not like I have anything against you... I just...

Hinata-kun, you should be more confident in yourself. You're following the hope you believe in, after all...

That's it, Hinata-kun... show me more of your hope. Your hope... against Hanamura-kun’s. Whose will prevail?

Phase 13 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 13 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

DISCUSSION START

Evidence Bullets: Night-vision goggles / Duralumin case / Knife / Blood around the table / Gaps in the floor

First, let me ask once more...

Was Hanamura-kun in the storage room during the blackout?

O...Of course I wasn’t in the storage room!

I was in a different place at that time!
Liar!

Ibuki heard Teruteru-chan's voice!

A beautiful voice, unfit for his face!
What does that have to do with anything?

Maybe it was a recorded voice?
If it was recorded... ...we could have heard it even if he was somewhere else!

No, it was definitely a live voice!
If Mioda is right...

As long as that testimony exists...

...You cannot deny I was at the hall!
So, that is Hanamura-kun's hope... ...I see

I'm sure there's a big contradiction hidden somewhere in there...

...I have to find it!

I'm sure you all know where this is going...

Gaps in the floor >>> ...You cannot deny I was at the hall!

I WILL STRIKE OUT THIS CONTRADICTION!

Trial 19 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 19 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

The fact we heard Hanamura's voice in the hall doesn't prove that he was actually in the hall.

Eh? W...Why...?

Think about the floor in the hall... There are massive gaps all over it, aren’t there...?

Which means, even if you spoke from under the floor, it would still sound like you were in the room with us.

...Abebabeba?!

I see... by speaking from under the floor, he tried to leave the impression he was there with us.

...Is that right, Hanamura?

W-W-W-Wait just a minute...

W...What's the meaning of this, Hanamura-san?!

I TOL' YA T' WAI’ MINUTE!

Hyaaaaaaaaa?!

Y’IDIOTS’VE NO ‘DEA WHA’YA TALK’ ‘NABOUT! I’S’IN TH’ALL TH’OLE TIME DUR’N ‘BLACKOUT!!

...Where did you say you were born?

I’S BORN’N NISHI-AZABU N'RAISED’N MINAMI-AOYAMA!

Hey, everyone! This guy’s totally a liar!

If Hanamura-kun was in the hall during the blackout, he should still have been there when the lights came back on, right?

Yep, that sounds right. He can’t have been walking back and forth in the dark.

Eh? Was... Hanamura there at that time?

I...I’s.... I’s def’n’tly there...

We can't leave this to faint memories and gut feelings, can we? I mean, a man's life is on the line.

E's righ'! Yer’ stup’d mem’rys’re worth nuthin’! Y’ain’t ‘sidin’ nuthin like’at!

H...He's definitely lying! His speech's getting worse by the minute!

But... I am not at all confident about this. I have a feeling he was there... but I feel like he also wasn't...

Nuuuuuu...! Isn't there a way to tell for sure?!

...Maybe we should test his memory?

His... memory...?

Hey, y’there. Qui’ sayin’s wor’less’ings! ‘Think y’c’n prov’wasn’ there?!

...I think we can.

Gege...! You’gain?!

In order to prove whether Hanamura was in the hall after the blackout...

We should ask him about... this!

Embarrassing pose

THAT PROVES IT!

If you really was in the hall when the power came back on...

...you should know all about what happened to Tsumiki, shouldn't you?!

W...Wha?!

Hiyu! Please don't remind me! I...It’s too embarrassing!

No, this is an important question...

How about it, Hanamura! You should be able to answer this if you really were in the hall!

Eh? Eh? Uuuuum?

That unique way of falling is not something one can forget easily.

Fuah... I'm sorry... I'm sorry for making you watch this deplorable sight!

H...How about it?! Can you answer, Teruteru-chan?!

Um... um...
Huh? Oh? That's peculiar... It seems I’ve forgotten all about it...!

Someone like you, forget this...? I don’t think so.

Um... but, nevertheless...

K...Komaeda-kuuun! Say something!

No... I think you have no choice but to give up...

Wha... Give up...? What do you mean by... “give up”...?

Hanamura-kun... You're not the only one who's disappointed. I am too.
It's sad to see someone I respect reach the limits of their hope. I had such expectations... and you’re dashing them.

Komaeda... What the hell's wrong with you?! Why do you keep siding with the culprit and then turning on them...?!

W-W-WAI'SEC’N! QUI’CALL’N ME’CULPRIT!

Eh? But it's decided already, isn't it?

D...D-D-D-D... Y-Y-Y...

Y’ST’AIN’SCOVAW’THAM’DWEP’N’S!!

That's it. I can't understand anything anymore!

He seems to be saying you still haven't discovered what the murder weapon was!

You understand him?!

But, that's a sad qwarrel... It's too much...

AAAAAAAA’F’IMAC’PW’T’NT’LMWHA’WE’NW’S!!

Hey, Monomi... Translate it for us, would you?

U...Um... "If you think I'm the culpwit, then tell me what the weapon was".

The weapon... can’t have been the knife, can it?

Judging from Togami-san's wounds... it was a thin sharp object about 5 millimeters in diameter...!

And what is more, to have inflicted such mortal wounds through the floor, it cannot have been shorter than 50 centimeters...

...Is the weapon really important at this stage?

IIIIII’SRIIIII’S!!

"It is. It weally is."

Okay, I get it. Let's think what the weapon could be.

I’LEE’V’N’YA!!

Um... "You guys don’t even know, do you?".

That's one confusing dialect!

A...Anyway, I must think! I must concentrate and think...!

A sharp object about 5 millimeter in diameter... and about 50 centimeter long...
I'm looking for something that could be used at the crime scene, and that fits those parameters...

...Was there something like that?

Phase 14 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 14 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

FLASHING ANAGRAM START

S K E W E R

OF COURSE!

Trial 20 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 20 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

...That's it. The murder weapon was a steel skewer, wasn't it?!

Eh?! A steel skewer?!

Before the party started, Togami had this conversation with Hanamura when he was looking for dangerous items...

According to this list... there is one steel skewer missing.
Oh, that's right... I believe it was missing since I first got here.

Is that missing skewer the weapon?!

That skewer fits the parameters perfectly!

Oi, Hanamura! Where did you hide that skewer?!

A...aa...aaaaaaaa...

Avri'lavin!

"Avril Lavigne"!

Eh?! Just like that?!

He's just trying to confuse us by saying nonsense! You dumped that skewer somewhere on the island, right?!

No, it is against the field trip rules to litter. If someone bwoke that rule, loud sirens would have gone off all awound the island...

Loud sirens...? It’s only littering! Bit harsh, don’t you think?!

Also... Hanamura-kun didn’t leave the lodge even once. I was guarding the entrance, so I can tell.

In other words... the skewer must be hidden somewhere inside the lodge...

It’s probably somewhere back in the kitchen!

Hanamura... How about acting like a man and confessing?

O...O...O...O...Oooooooo...

Tutorial posted:

At long last, it is time for the final battle.
Your opponent, having been cornered, has put a shielded fence around his heart, and will not listen to your arguments.
Accusing a classmate is painful, but... this is a school trial.
You must break into your opponent's shielded heart, and beat him down with a final argument.
It is a high-level argumentation battle against your opponent's panicked excuses and lies...
Yes, this is Machine-gun Tal -- um, excuse me. This is Panic Talk Action.
Let’s just call it PTA.
During PTA, you must destroy your opponent's shields, and finish him with a final argument.
In order to do that, you must match the tempo of your opponent's exclamations and destroy them.
Please push the buttons matching the timing of the Tempo Marker displayed on the screen.
Pushing and holding the circle button in accordance with the Tempo Marker allows you to Lock On to your opponent's arguments.
By holding the circle button, you may Lock On to several arguments at once.
Then, by releasing the circle button in accordance with the Tempo Marker...
You can intercept and destroy the arguments you have Locked On to.
By destroying your opponent's arguments, you inflict damage to their shielded heart.
But, if you do not destroy your opponent's argument within a certain time, they will hurt you instead.
You may push the START button to see instructions.
On this PTA, please concentrate on pushing the circle button. We will tell you about further complications another time.
Finally, we should tell you how to deliver the final argument.
Once all of your opponent's shields are down, it is time to deliver the Final Counterargument.
When the time comes... four words will be displayed on the top, bottom, left and right of the screen.
The circle, triangle, square and cross buttons each match one word.
Please push the buttons in the correct order and complete your final argument.
This final argument, correctly formed, will be the decisive blow that defeats your opponent.
However, if you fail to make the argument within a certain time, your opponent's shields will recover a little bit, so be careful.
The rest is up to you. We wish you luck.

Phase 15 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 15 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

O...O...O...Oo...Ooooooooo...

UNC’RTULODFUMPK’NSSK’URDK’OPTHO’LMEUTHSSKUT!!

"Uncultured bumpkins should keep their mouths shut!"... is what he seems to be saying.

It seems we have to do something to stop him after all...

If the weapon was a skewer, it makes most sense to hide it in the kitchen.
But... Togami and me searched the place thoroughly before the party started.

In other words... it was already hidden in a place where we couldn't find it at that time.

Somewhere we wouldn't think to look...

Where would that be? Where can you hide something as long as a skewer?

I have to figure it out...!

D’AMNETHD’CKAN’TH’CK!!

"I am not hiding anything"... probably!

Y’HAV’NEID’WHOLOTH’WOAP’N’S!!

I have to find the decisive evidence that shows Hanamura is the culprit... and stop him with it!

PANIC TALK ACTION START

This is a much improved version of last game's Machine-gun Talk Battle. As the tutorial explained, instead of alternating between the circle and triangle buttons for locking-on and shooting, this time you have to hit the circle button on a beat to start locking on, keep it down, and then release it on another beat to shoot down the phrases you've locked on to. It works pretty well.

You have no idea where the weapon is!!

(top) Bone
(left) on
(right) Meat
(bottom) a

Meat on a Bone

IT’S OVER!

Trial 21 (raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 21 (sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

You hid the skewer... inside that meat-on-a-bone, didn't you?!

W-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w!

W...What are you talking about...? There's no way I'd hide a weapon somewhere like...

H...How is that even possible?! It's inside food!!

Yeah... Togami and I also thought it was impossible... and that's why we overlooked it.

It doesn't seem like this pile of food has anything dangerous in it, unlike that Churrasco before.
I guess...

Sigh... I almost thought he was going to say that bone could be used to bludgeon someone...

Thinking another way... Inside the food was the only place we didn’t check. It’s the only possibility left for the hiding place...

And of all the dishes on offer, the only one big enough to hold a long metal skewer...
...is that huge meat-on-a-bone!

I...IS THAT TRUUUUUUUUE?!

I...I exercise my right to remain silent!

You don't have one!

I...In that case, we must check ourselves!

Yes, let's eat that delicious-looking meat. If we find the skewer there... bingo!

Alright! Monomi, Monobear, anyone -- go grab us that meat and bring it here!

One minute... I’ll destroy that whole thing in just one minute!

W-W-Wait just one moment! Time out! Time out!

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!! BRING THAT MEAT OVER HERE NOW!!

Ah... About that...

Huh...? Where did Monobear go?
I'm right here...!

Om nom nom... I decided to get ahead of the game!
GYAAAA! THE BEAR IS EATING MEAT!!
...Well, actually, that’s not really so strange, huh?
Grom nom nom... This is so delicious.
drat it! That's my meat you're eating!
I’ve never eaten like this before...! The taste brings back memories of my life in the wild...

S-S-S-S-S-Stop! Really, stop right now!
Oh? There's something inside this meat...

Look what I found!

T...That's...!

It's a steel skewer, isn't it...?

Ah, he made the bone into a grip. That's pretty elaborate.

It is a Sword of Doom, with a bone hilt and a meat sheath! He used it to bring catastrophe upon Togami!

I expected nothing less from Hanamura-kun! This is definitely a fantastic weapon, appropriate for a chef!

Y...You're wrong... I'm not the culprit... I'm not someone... who would ever kill anyone...

I get it! It’s all your doing! You’re just trying to frame me!

Sigh... this is disheartening...
Struggling like this is unbecoming for a Super High-school Level student like you... You can't call that "hope" at all, can you?

Hey, Komaeda-kun... I'm sorry, but can you please stop talking?

Y’ULOARR’FUNSTEBS’VAGOSWHEENRY’ATINST’INLOCH’ULANKS!!

"You're all a bunch of savages who only eat at chain restaurants!"

Y...You can stop translating now... I think we all get the general idea!

OV’LYEN’JUCHSK’TTH’BUNG’P!!

I'll handle Komaeda later... Right now, what's more important...

We have to bring this to an end... don't we?
Let’s lay out our entire case... We’ll cover the whole incident, start to finish, with no room left for doubt...

The entire incident...
We’ll show beyond doubt that Hanamura is the culprit...

That's right... if I don't do that, this will never end.

I have no choice!

---

I want to talk a little bit about the downside of this being a screenshot LP.

You see, when I first played the game, I was pretty stumped until quite a late stage. I had no idea who was the murderer until just a few minutes before the reveal. I know that's also the case for many others who played the game.

The reason for this is simple: the game pulls out quite a clever psychological trick on you. You see, Hanamura's plan works pretty well - by hearing his voice loud and clear in the blackout scene, I was convinced he was also in the scene that immediately followed. I actually had false memories of lines from him. It helped that the scene immediately following the blackout is short, of course, and also that the player is quite anxious about a murder they know is coming. It also helps that the scene never comes up in flashbacks later. I think Sonia's line in this update is meant to reflect the player's thoughts, and the entire thing is executed perfectly for it to work.

Except it doesn't work in this screenshot medium, of course - people rereading the update understood very quickly that Hanamura was nowhere to be found in that scene, which pointed the suspicion toward him from the very beginning. That also made all the rest of the evidence pointing to him so much more obvious. It utterly breaks the clever misdirection the game constructs.

Now, this was also a problem in the previous thread, of course, and I knew it was coming. But it's also an especially sad example of the problem.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

What in God's name kind of Japanese was used to represent Hanamura's accent?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
First video link - the subbed link is pointing to the raw.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Holy hell, Fedule, writing that must have been...fun. :unsmigghh:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nagito Komaeda: Super High-School Level Defense Attorney.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

orenronen posted:

Now, this was also a problem in the previous thread, of course, and I knew it was coming. But it's also an especially sad example of the problem.

Yeah, this is always a shame, it's the same deal with any mystery game really. It's also exactly why I don't read any speculation, it'd probably kill the whole LP for me because when you have this many people analyzing everything the only thing that can really surprise anyone are things impossible to predict based on past stuff.

Anyway, too bad the chef has to go, the way he made goons upset was pretty great. :allears:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

slowbeef posted:

First video link - the subbed link is pointing to the raw.

Is it? Seems to be fine on my machine.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

orenronen posted:

I want to talk a little bit about the downside of this being a screenshot LP.

You see, when I first played the game, I was pretty stumped until quite a late stage. I had no idea who was the murderer until just a few minutes before the reveal. I know that's also the case for many others who played the game.

The reason for this is simple: the game pulls out quite a clever psychological trick on you. You see, Hanamura's plan works pretty well - by hearing his voice loud and clear in the blackout scene, I was convinced he was also in the scene that immediately followed. I actually had false memories of lines from him. It helped that the scene immediately following the blackout is short, of course, and also that the player is quite anxious about a murder they know is coming. It also helps that the scene never comes up in flashbacks later. I think Sonia's line in this update is meant to reflect the player's thoughts, and the entire thing is executed perfectly for it to work.

Except it doesn't work in this screenshot medium, of course - people rereading the update understood very quickly that Hanamura was nowhere to be found in that scene, which pointed the suspicion toward him from the very beginning. That also made all the rest of the evidence pointing to him so much more obvious. It utterly breaks the clever misdirection the game constructs.

To add onto your thoughts, oren, I think there's two other things - which were probably also mentioned before - that the screenshot LP format does. For one, the posts themselves give tangible lines and pictures that everyone can go back and look at, rather than having to rely solely on your memory as a player - I've had similar issues in the Phoenix Wright games, for example, missing a vital clue just because I forgot it was there. On top of that, the spacing between updates gives plenty of time for folks to go back over the clues, not only to refresh their memories, but to start getting ideas and noting inconsistencies.

Nature of the beast with a screenshot murder mystery LP, I'm sure.

EDIT:

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, this is always a shame, it's the same deal with any mystery game really. It's also exactly why I don't read any speculation, it'd probably kill the whole LP for me because when you have this many people analyzing everything the only thing that can really surprise anyone are things impossible to predict based on past stuff.
Same, I basically just scroll through looking for updates and fanart.

Kobold fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 9, 2013

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm glad I wasn't following the thread for very long after the murder. The case wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable if I had been convinced it must have been Hanamura from the start.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
So, its time for the comic of the events, and then the end of our friend the chef. Well, this should be fun, time for grey goblin to appear again.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

quote:

You can tell that someone is lying by licking their sweat, can't you, Owari-san?

Oh wow, what a subtle reference to Part 5 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

theshim posted:

Holy hell, Fedule, writing that must have been...fun. :unsmigghh:

I am having a ball over here.

In the course of trying to procrastinate from writing Hanamura's gibberish, I edited almost the entire Ch 1 Trial from DR1.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

grandalt posted:

So, its time for the comic of the events, and then the end of our friend the chef. Well, this should be fun, time for grey goblin to appear again.

Well, not really. We still haven't figured out his motive, only that he did indeed kill Togami. Unless you want to argue that the bomb on the island was his entire motive.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

orenronen posted:

Is it? Seems to be fine on my machine.

Huh. My mistake, I guess. Sorry.

edit: You know what? It's because Hinata's "It could only have been you!" isn't subbed. I figured I'd clicked on the wrong one, went back and saw it was the same link.

Frostyyy
Feb 24, 2012

You're going to die.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm glad I wasn't following the thread for very long after the murder. The case wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable if I had been convinced it must have been Hanamura from the start.

Yeah, the moment the murder happened, I stopped reading non-update posts. Several cases in DR1 lost their impact for me after I saw all the unified theories about the culprits. It's more fun when it's a surprise, even after you've tried to work it out yourself.
It very nearly happened this time too, until a friend off-handedly mentioned "almost everyone thinks it's Hanamura" after the last update. Until that point, I was convinced it was Mahiru for a number of reasons, most notably her reaction after Togami died.
I was definitely caught out by Hanamura's voice trick, though I did catch that anyone underneath the floor would've been audible during the blackout.

Radian Angle
Oct 29, 2012

DupaDupa posted:

Oh wow, what a subtle reference to Part 5 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

I want a picture of someone licking our dear chef and saying he tastes of lies.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

orenronen posted:

GYAAAA! THE BEAR IS EATING MEAT!!
...Well, actually, that’s not really so strange, huh?

Haha, like how she actually had to stop and think about it.

Also Jesus, Hanamura. That's quite an accent you've got there. :stare:

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

slowbeef posted:

edit: You know what? It's because Hinata's "It could only have been you!" isn't subbed. I figured I'd clicked on the wrong one, went back and saw it was the same link.

Oops, that was my bad.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

quote:

Hey, Komaeda-kun... I'm sorry, but can you please stop talking?

Thanks for saying what's been on my mind for the last couple of updates. Sassy independent SHSL Gamer who don't need no man is quickly becoming one of the more competent characters and among my favorite. Here's hoping her role plays out much like Kirigiri's did in the previous game.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

HelloWinter posted:

Oops, that was my bad.

No, no, no big deal. If I'd been like a second more patient (or paid attention to the Polsy preview image, I'd have seen it was the subbed one.

GenericFootwear
Nov 4, 2009
I really agree with you, oren. I read through the entire last game's LP after it was all done, and didn't bother with any of the non-update thread content, so I didn't have to encounter any speculation. Having read it all in this thread, I can really see how it took so much away from what was a much better crafted murder mystery than happened in the first game. I think I'm going to avoid reading the thread aside from updates for all future murders, just to keep that feeling of mystery.

Also, I really, really love Hanamura's gibberish.

MiyokoBlade
Mar 28, 2013
Am I the only one who thought that there was something off with Komaeda-kun during that segment? He seemed to flip-flop from happy-go-lucky to depressed to downright creepy. It...sort of reminded me of someone. I'm beginning to think either Komaeda's an enemy...or he's just plain screwed in the head.

And...could Teruteru possibly be from another country? He does know English. I could hear "NONSENSE!" during the Panic Talk Battles. Speaking of, I think they fixed a majority of the problems from the first game with those...but also added different features to them. I find this to be a nice nod to the first game...but also a reminder that this isn't the first game at the same time.

On a personal note, I miss the disco-crazy light-show background, being replaced by "HANAMURA SHIELDS DEPLOY!". But this is more of an aesthetic complaint than a major one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That fanservice fall ended up being important evidence. Well played, game.

• Locked thread