Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's fairly impressive that when you look up "Something Awful" on google "Something Awful Dangan Ronpa" is the third choice down. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's fairly impressive that when you look up "Something Awful" on google "Something Awful Dangan Ronpa" is the third choice down. :stare:

Howabout the fact that Dangan Ronpa threads 1 + 2 combined have more views than literally every LP thread on the first 3 pages combined

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm not seeing it on my search, but yeah it's still kind of shocking how popular the LP got. Definitely thanks to the efforts of social media like tumblr, but still I don't think a series has ever gotten such a boom from just an LP. Not that this isn't a great LP and the effort put into it is astounding, but it's still mind boggling.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Its not so surprising when you consider the reason for the fanbase that doesn't speak Japanese can be almost entirely credited to these threads
It's not just an LP but also a translation.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Who cares. oren, please reopen when there's content or something.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Re: Despair-Syndrome

"Theres a certain truth weve known since we were young...
Its not something we were taught as such... but we learned it all the same, by observing this world in which we are engulfed...

The hope-filled messages streaming from television, newspapers and the net all say the same thing.
People who aren't successful... People who dont work hard... People who aren't successful even though they do work hard...

...They are all alike. Worthless. Human garbage."

Re: Despair Syndrome

"Worthy people and worthless people are set apart from the moment they're born.

Worthless people can try all they want. But theyll never achieve worth...
Thinking that hard work leads to success is a gross misunderstanding. The world is not that simple.

A small dog cant make itself big just by working...
A penguin will never be able to fly, no matter how hard it tries..."

"In other words... everything worthless people do is, in fact, worthless.

Talent isnt something you can just... get. You have to be born with it.
That's right... just like you guys were. That's why I revere all of you.

Ah... I guess I should clarify something. What I'm talking about isnt the same as looking up to someone.
Looking up to someone is wanting to become like them someday. But Im not that impertinent.

My feelings... are purer than that. They're more like... unconditional love."

"That's why... I want you to believe me.
I don't mind if I die... So if that's what you want, let me help you!

I don't even care whether the culprit survives, or the others do...
...I just want both parties to do their best.

All I want... is to see the "absolute hope" that lies on the other side.

Yeah, I truly am lucky!

Someone like me, being able to witness the moment hope clashes against hope!"

"So, please... let me help you!

If you wish to kill me, I want you to let me in on the plan.

I want you to make me a stepping stone so everyone can shine... Let the circumstances of my death bring out-"

Music stops

SHUT UUUUUUUUUP!!

* smash *

CHAPTER 2
Crime and Coconuts, Punishment and Pia Coladas
(Ab)normal days

A night had passed since the school trial...

All the adrenaline had left my system, and I began to remember how hungry I was.
And so, I grudgingly woke up and set out for the hotel's restaurant.

Re: Beautiful Morning

Ah... Hinata... You're here. Good morning...

Y...Yo...

G...Good morning...

Just as I expected, the atmosphere in the restaurant was heavy.
...But, that's just natural.

It hasnt even been a day since that happened.

Togami, our self-appointed leader, was killed... and his killer was another of our friends...

And that friend was killed in turn... right before our eyes.

No one could remain cheerful after experiencing something like that...

Huh? What's with the long faces, everyone? You lot look like youve been attending funerals all morning...

Well... Almost no one.

But... With everything that happened... Togami-san was killed... and then Hanamura-san was too...!

I wasn't talking to you, ugly!!

Hyaaaaaa! W...Why are you so mean to me?!

Well, OK, Mr. Porkfeet dying was sad, but, there's no need to feel sorry for Hanamura, is there?

W...What the...?

I mean, he was a murderer. A freak. Someone like him deserved to die!

I can see your point, but thats taking it too far.

Oh? Are you saying it's okay to defend a murderer? Do you think murder is ever justified?

No... that is not what I was trying to say, but...

Well, you should hate him, then. You must detest him from the bottom of your heart.
We're talking about a guy who went ahead and did the worst possible thing a human can do. He was human waste. Of course he had to die.
That execution was refreshing. He should've let us go and spit on the body, too.

...Hm?
...Hmmmmmm?

For heaven's sake, what is it now? Even the low IQ squad feels the need to object?

No, that's not it...

Don't you smell something?

Eh? Again?!

It's not... another body or something, right?

No... Not blood... Its just... something stinks.
S...Stinks...?

You know, something smells like a late-night snack, or like a hostess club after closing time.

Howd we know?! What kinda rough lifestyleve you been living?!

But... now that she mentions it, something does smell. It's like sewage, or raw garbage...

Kyahahahaha! I know! It's the stink from big bro Nidai's mouth!

GAHAHAHA! Ya sure got me!
That was a pretty lame joke, you know.

No, it's not Nidai. This smell is coming from...

It's coming from you, Saionji.

...Eh?

Whoa, it is! Saionji... you stink!

Ku...! This foul miasma taints the very soul...! It is as though the Diabolical Eclipse is beginning!

Ah... Uuuuuu.....

WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Ah! She's crying!

You guys still dont get this delicacy thing, do you?!

U...Um... It's not really that... bad, is it? I mean, if I breathe with my mouth its a bit better...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

You are washing yourself properly, aren't you?

Uu... sniff...
...I'm not.
Y...You haven't been taking baths?!
I...I can't help it... I can't tie my kimono's obi by myself...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

H...Hey, Hiyoko-chan... don't cry...
If it's just about the obi, I can help you tie it.

Sniff... sniff...
...Really?

I dont know any of the fancy knots, but... if you want, I'll even teach you how to tie it yourself.

Yaaaay!
I love you, big sis Koizumi!! I'm gonna kiss you!

W...Wait, Hiyoko-chan... Y...you don't have to hug me...!

Hmhmhm... It seems you have acquired a disciple.

Irasshaimase! Welcome to the humid house of lillies!

Somehow... the bleak atmosphere lifted in an instant.

I suppose this is better than just remaining gloomy forever...

I wonder... If I were alone here... would I have been able to change my mood so easily?
It seems I have them to thank for it...

Um... By the way... What happened to Kuzuryuu-san and Komaeda-san?
Theyre both not here...
Hey, you're right...

I saw Kuzuryuu near the hotel earlier. I invited him to breakfast but he refused.
Nothing new there, then...

Who cares about Komaeda? It's better that he's not here!

That one lives a cursed existence... An embodiment of misfortune and ill-omen, bringing ruin upon all he surveys...
That's... certainly appropriate, but...

B...Before you even ask... I know nothing!

I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE KOMAEDA IS!!

Yeah! Let's just forget all about him! Who cares what happened to a weirdo like him!

...That's blatantly suspicious, isn't it?

W...Whats suspicious?!

Nothing's suspicious here!!

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

What's going on? Was someone kidnapped or something?

P...Perfect timing!

Hm? Perfect timing?

N...No... I was just...

I'm not sure what's going on, but it seems I'm being coveted!
Does my cuteness change your entire viewpoint on life, making living without me an unbearable burden on your body?
I...It cant be helped, can it...? Your body just... instinctively reacts to Monobear...

...Is that it?

...Whatever. Why are you here?

To tell you the truth, Im searching for something too. One of my faithful servants has disappeared.
Servants...?

You know, the Monobeasts? One of them is missing...

Huh? One of the Monobeasts is gone?

Hmm... maybe I shouldnt have cut the pet food budget so heavily... You dont think it went on strike, do you?

"He was the weakest among the Four Great Demons... Losing to a mere human is a disgrace to the Monobeasts..."

...Is that what you are trying to say?

What?

Our little tale is still in its prelude. The climax is still yet to come...

Let us hear your battle cry! We shall make it your requiem!

What what?

Stop playing with the teddy bear, Tanaka.

So, you're still calling me a teddy bear...
Anyway, it seems you bastards don't know anything about my Monobeast.
Oh well. It's not like worrying will do me any good. All Ill get is more bald patches...

Besides, our eyes are on the front of our faces so we can always face forward into the future!

Re: Beautiful Morning

Monobear disappeared, leaving us to contemplate... whatever it was he quoted.

Do you think... he was telling the truth? Is one of the Monobeasts really gone...?

Hmmm... Its not impossible, I suppose...

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

Um, are you tewwibly busy right now? Because if you are, I can come back later...

Great. Go away.

Kyaa! At least send me away kindly!

Ah. Before you go, there's something I want to ask. We heard that a Monobeast is gone...

Thaaats wight!

Ta-daaah! I oblitewated that Monobeast all by myself!
Y...You?!

You? Obliterate? One of those things?! How the helld you pull that off?!

That story is better told in a different game mode, but the upshot of it all is, the bridge gate is now open!

If the gate is open... does that mean we can go to another island?

IS THAT TRUUUUUE?!

That's absolutely twue!
And since you now have a much wider space to move around in, this time you can all live a fwiendly, fun life together!

Wuv! Wuv!

W...We're not after a friendly life together... Let's go look for a way off the island instead...

That goes without saying! Our only goal should be to escape this place!

...Huh?

Did any of us ask for some Hollywood-style action-adventure, huh?!

I'd much rather have a banal life, where nothing ever happens... That fits me much better...

Right! Anyone finds something we can use to make a boat, you bring it to me!

U...Um... This gwoup activity isn't going the way I thought it would...

Fuhahaha! It is decided -- we disperse! Our task; to seek a means to break this infuriating seal!

Alright! Let's find a way off this island!

That's... impossible...
...Hm?
Leaving this island... is no longer possible...
...No longer?
Hey, what do you...

Beautiful Ruin

Ah...!

Oi, Hinata... Just ignore that bunny!
When alls said and done... shes just the same as Monobear. Its best not botherin with her...
I...I guess you're right.

Everyone's attention turned to the task of investigating the new island.

Soon, they had all left the restaurant, hoping to find some way of solving our predicament.

Well, almost all of them left.

A new island, huh? I guess I have to go look for clues too...

No, you can't! You promised you'd help with my obi!

W...We can do that after I take a quick look at the new island...

B...But... I have to take a bath now...
Sniff... They said I stink... Sniff... Everyone's gonna be mean to me again...

Fine, fine. In that case, let's have you take a light shower before we go exploring.

Yaaay! We can give each other soapies!

Eh? Soapies?

W...Wait. I never said I'll go into the shower with you...

Oh, c'mon. We're both girls. There's nothing to be embarrassed about!

B...But...

Yay! Let's go!

With a childlike smile on her face, Saionji ran out of the restaurant, grabbing Koizumi by the hand and pulling her behind.

...Soapies?

Oh... I see... Soapies.

And now we can join the rest on the investigation of the new island.

The gate is, indeed, open!

So it's true... The Monobeast that guarded this bridge is gone...

...And the bridges gate is open.

Just like Monomi said...

So, what's on the other side of this bridge?

Right... let's go and see!

Re: Despair Syndrome

So this is the new island...
It feels... different from the island where the hotel is.

...But this is no time to just stand here and share my thoughts.

There's probably some clue here that can help us leave this island. We have to find it...!

orenronen fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 28, 2013

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Geez Saionji is creepy.

And what happened to Komaeda? I guess sooner or later Nidai will crack and tell us.

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012
Well that sure makes me think Monomi is working with Monobear. A new island opens up right after a trial, working just like how Monobear opened up more of the school in DR1. And how in the hell could Monomi get rid of a monobeast.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Is that an ancient ruin? Those never fail to be cool. If Nidai actually did kidnap Komeda, I don't think anyone would hold that against him. If he wants to take on that job, more power to him.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Long winded anime as hell speeches? Nah gently caress that, get smacked in your mouth son.

quote:

I'd much rather have a banal life, where nothing ever happens... That fits me much better...

Good luck with that. :unsmith:

edit: I hope the Monobeasts don't just get taken out off-screen like this, granted this is only the first one, but I'd rather they serve a purpose other than arbitrary gatekeeper. I don't know, I just thought they looked cool and they remind me of Power Ranger Zords, and that is sick.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 28, 2013

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Nagito: :words:

Nagito sure makes talent sound hosed up. It's strongly reminding me of DR0.

So it's "impossible" to leave the island now? Does that mean something is going on here beyond just Monoworld? I mean, if Monomi didn't want the kids to wander out into post-apocalyptia she'd probably be saying they shouldn't leave the island, but not being able to leave is different.

I love that not even Monobear understands Gundam.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Geez Saionji is creepy.

And what happened to Komaeda? I guess sooner or later Nidai will crack and tell us.

It sounds to me like Souda and Nidai have trapped him somewhere and are keeping his location secret from everyone else. That doesn't sound like the worst plan; he's rendered harmless and can't get killed by any random person on one hand, and if he ends up dead one of them will know it's the other. Of course, if this is really what they're doing, it could backfire horribly quite easily if he ends up discovered by accident then murdered.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is that an ancient ruin? Those never fail to be cool.

I was thinking more "creepy mad scientist laboratory", especially with its proximity to a big old mansion. I guess we'll see it soon!

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 28, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is that an ancient ruin? Those never fail to be cool. If Nidai actually did kidnap Komeda, I don't think anyone would hold that against him. If he wants to take on that job, more power to him.

From the sound of it, if Nidai did kidnap Nagito, he was working with Souda. Which makes me wonder if the mechanic rigged up some kind of crazy-rear end holding mechanism instead of just tying him to a tree or something.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think it's obvious. He was keeping Sonia awake all night so she snapped and beat him with her tiara.

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
'No longer' possible, hm?

I wonder if it was 'no longer' possible from the very beginning, and she's giving up hiding it, or whether it was from a more recent point, like when Monomi apparently obliterated the Monobeast, or from when the kids started playing Monobear's game and ultimately sentenced a classmate to death.

Anyway, I get the feeling either Monomi or Monobear mentioned gaining access to the other islands after stuff, but I'm forgetting where and how, and have the sneaking suspicion it was Monomi prior to Monobear turning up. Did Monobear say anything about access to the other islands?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think the most obvious explanation is that since there's been a murder, they're barred from leaving.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

orenronen posted:

Oh? Are you saying it's okay to defend a murderer? Do you think murder is ever justified?

We're getting a lecture on humanity from a girl who was killing literally every animal she saw as soon as she stepped on the island?

orenronen posted:

Does my cuteness change your entire viewpoint on life, making living without me an unbearable burden on your body?

And Monobear continues to be aware of the thread.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 28, 2013

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

It sounds to me like Souda and Nidai have trapped him somewhere and are keeping his location secret from everyone else. That doesn't sound like the worst plan; he's rendered harmless and can't get killed by any random person on one hand, and if he ends up dead one of them will know it's the other. Of course, if this is really what they're doing, it could backfire horribly quite easily if he ends up discovered by accident then murdered.

I for one am curious as to Koizumi's eventual reaction to this - is she going to berate them for 'deciding to do things on their own', or some variation of her Mulan: Be A Man speech?

Koizumi is shaping up to be a great character. I'm not sure if she'll get the same fortune as Asahina and survive all the way, but I wouldn't mind if she did.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Am I the only one who found Monomi's "different game mode" line to be suspicious. There are other ways of saying that you can't tell someone something after all. Also, what kind of life does Owari live?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I know Saionji looks younger than the rest of the cast, but her little-kid act is wearing kind of thin. I wonder if her free time events make her more bearable, although I kind of doubt it.

RefinedUndefined posted:

Am I the only one who found Monomi's "different game mode" line to be suspicious. There are other ways of saying that you can't tell someone something after all.
Because this clearly isn't a game that's poked fun at the fourth wall once or twice. :v:

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Haifisch posted:

I know Saionji looks younger than the rest of the cast, but her little-kid act is wearing kind of thin. I wonder if her free time events make her more bearable, although I kind of doubt it.

Because this clearly isn't a game that's poked fun at the fourth wall once or twice. :v:

I guess so, it just seemed strange, that's all. Also, I kinda doubt that Saionji will become more bearable, considering that she is the only character that we know of to have no problem with Hanamura dying.

Guessy
Oct 9, 2012
I don't know... I'm actually starting to get a little suspicious of Chiaki; the game mode comment didn't exactly help either (besides if anyone could get a stuffed robot rabbit to defeat an end boss, it would be the Gamer). That and how she spent a lot of time with Monomi outside the lodge (volunteering to stand guard against Monobear no less), and it's been established she can interact with people and play games at the same time... and it would explain how she was able to serve as the 'Kirikiri'-eque role in the trail despite not being a SHSL Detective; she had camera access.

...Admittedly this is all conjecture at this point (based mostly on her '........' moment after Souda's 'When alls said and done... shes just the same as Monobear. Its best not botherin with her...' line). That moment could be interpreted as something else, equally (ie she's uncertain how much Monomi is similar to Monobear).

I don't know, I'm throwing ideas out here; that moment felt significant somehow at least.

As for leaving being no longer possible, I suspect that's more to do with the other Monobeasts being perfectly capable of catching them if they tried (at least one is known to fly, after all).

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Why did you leave Irasshaimase in? It's not like it doesn't have a meaning.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Junkozeyne posted:

Why did you leave Irasshaimase in? It's not like it doesn't have a meaning.

The more interesting question is why is Irasshaimase used in this situation at all. It seems to be a phrase used when the store staff greets a customer (reference here).

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

orenronen posted:

That execution was refreshing. He should've let us go and spit on the body, too.

When did Monobear ever say they couldn't? Saionji should totally go into that volcano to go spit on him.

But man, how does Komaeda keep sounding even more messed up? Megumi Ogata is just loving amazing with his voice. In fact, if this role isn't the best role she's ever done, someone please tell me what that would be so I can go watch it immediately.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Jeek posted:

The more interesting question is why is Irasshaimase used in this situation at all. It seems to be a phrase used when the store staff greets a customer (reference here).

She's teasing. Basically saying "Hello, and welcome to Late-Night Lesbian Theater, starring Hiyoko Saionji and Mahiru Koizumi!". Just, y'know, more subtle.

At least that's what I got from her line; I don't know all that much about Japanese.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Man, I'm getting tired of comparing Komaeda to Kumagawa Misogi, but the man is just asking for it.

orenronen posted:

CHAPTER 2
Crime and Coconuts, Punishment and Pia Coladas
I think I see what you guys did here; though the wordplay is out, it keeps the "Crime and Punishment" combined with the tropical theme, so it's all good. I hope we get a BGM track named after it, like with most chapters.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

RefinedUndefined posted:

Am I the only one who found Monomi's "different game mode" line to be suspicious. There are other ways of saying that you can't tell someone something after all.

Yeah I think that's just the game saying 'This will be important in a trail later, so let's do it then instead'.

I could be wrong but it just seemed like a very tongue in cheek way of explaining why details won't be discussed until later.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Deceptive posted:

Well that sure makes me think Monomi is working with Monobear. A new island opens up right after a trial, working just like how Monobear opened up more of the school in DR1. And how in the hell could Monomi get rid of a monobeast.

Well, the new island opening up makes sense with the game format, but I don't think Monomi is working with Monobear. As for how she could have defeated a monobeast is easy enough. She has been proved to be able to do the appear out of nowhere trick, which is more than enough to get the drop on the robot and remove something important. As for why she didn't do that before, she would need Monobear distracted before he would let her take out one of his pets.

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...

RefinedUndefined posted:

Am I the only one who found Monomi's "different game mode" line to be suspicious. There are other ways of saying that you can't tell someone something after all. Also, what kind of life does Owari live?

One awesome enough to ensure she has my vote for the next free time segment.
I'm assuming the 'different game mode' thing is a 4th wall breaker, unless the whole thing really is a VR game gone terribly wrong. The way she said it so happily seemed odd though.

vacantVisionary
Dec 26, 2012

Falls Down Stairs posted:

So it's "impossible" to leave the island now? Does that mean something is going on here beyond just Monoworld? I mean, if Monomi didn't want the kids to wander out into post-apocalyptia she'd probably be saying they shouldn't leave the island, but not being able to leave is different.

Is it possible that she was just talking about the broken planes? Maybe she and/or Monobear irreparably broke any mechanism that could have been used to leave the island.

SingerOfW posted:

I think I see what you guys did here; though the wordplay is out, it keeps the "Crime and Punishment" combined with the tropical theme, so it's all good.

I don't know what the original wordplay was, but would "Crimeconuts and Punishment Coladas" have worked? (Mind you, Crimeconuts sound really silly, but I'm rather fond of Punishment Coladas.)

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Feldherren posted:

'No longer' possible, hm?

I wonder if it was 'no longer' possible from the very beginning, and she's giving up hiding it, or whether it was from a more recent point, like when Monomi apparently obliterated the Monobeast, or from when the kids started playing Monobear's game and ultimately sentenced a classmate to death.

Usami, before she became Monomi, told us that to leave the island we'd have to gather a certain amount of Hope Shards. Now that two students are dead, it is probably no longer possible to obtain the required amount, since interaction with other students is what gives Hope Shards.

TheAdmiralOfCheese
Feb 27, 2007

A man's word is absolute...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

We're getting a lecture on humanity from a girl who was killing literally every animal she saw as soon as she stepped on the island?

Impulsivity? Check.
Lack of empathy? Check.
Lack of remorse? Check.
Manipulativeness? Check.
Superficial charm? Check.
Parasitic lifestyle? Check.

We're well on our way to establishing that Saonji is a psychopath. Toss in a couple of bodies and serial killer could be in her future. We've already had one of those before, why not a second?

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Given Komaeda's lines at the start of this update, I'm concerned that he might be dead or about to die, and that that speech could be the last we hear from him. Nidai obviously knows something about where Komaeda is, and probably Souda does too, so it looks like they decided to knock him out and take the precaution of tying Komaeda up somewhere...which would make Komaeda an easy target for somebody else if they were able to find him. The only sensible way to deal with Komaeda short of someone killing him and taking one for the team would be for the entire group to tie him up and have maybe 3 people watching him at any given time, but less than that is a recipe for disaster, especially if it's only some of the characters who are in on the plan. Even if the latter situation is the case, it still goes to show that the DR2 cast is refreshingly competent compared to the DR1 cast. It'd mean they would at least have vaguely the right idea of what to do, but fall short because of a lack of trust in the other characters. Monomi would not approve. Maybe this chapter is going to be a race against time to find Komaeda before someone with murderous intent does. They should never have let him out of their sight, but it's hard to blame them when Hanamura had just been executed and they must have been out of it with shock.

Saionji just keeps on being creepy and nasty, and I would actually happily vote for her for the next free time event for this reason. Maybe she'll never stop being creepy, but I really want to know if she's going to become more sympathetic as a character in some way. There is something to be said for having a character there who just doesn't care about Hanamura because of him becoming a murderer, hypocritical critter-killer that she is. Isn't Saionji playing the role of Syo to a certain extent, of cold-heartedly not feeling moved by the deaths of others? Even so, she and Monobear seem to be taking over the perversion torch in Hanamura's honour this update. (Depending on what "soapies" are...)

The translation this update is really great! I love the chapter title, all the characters seem perfect, and Monomi in particular seems to have just the right balance of cutesy talk and plain speech to be readable.

CaseyChu
Dec 29, 2012

quote:

"He was the weakest among the Four Great Demons... Losing to a mere human is a disgrace to the Monobeasts..."

...Is that what you are trying to say?

What?

Our little tale is still in its prelude. The climax is still yet to come...

Let us hear your battle cry! We shall make it your requiem!

What what?

Is there anything sweeter in this world than seeing someone out-weird Monobear?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love how the portrait you use for Hinata makes him look like he's in a perpetual state of mixed frustration, disbelief, and confusion. It's perfect for moments like "...soapies?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

vacantVisionary posted:

I don't know what the original wordplay was, but would "Crimeconuts and Punishment Coladas" have worked? (Mind you, Crimeconuts sound really silly, but I'm rather fond of Punishment Coladas.)

No it wouldn't, because that sounds super dumb, no offense to you.

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that

TheAdmiralOfCheese posted:

Impulsivity? Check.
Lack of empathy? Check.
Lack of remorse? Check.
Manipulativeness? Check.

I can't really argue with any of this, but I'm a little surprised how mad everyone is about her in this update. I mean, she's not exactly wrong. I don't like capital punishment either, but in the basest terms that's the kind of world they're living in at the moment.

I don't understand "soapies." What am I missing exactly?

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

TheAdmiralOfCheese posted:

Impulsivity? Check.
Lack of empathy? Check.
Lack of remorse? Check.
Manipulativeness? Check.

We're well on our way to establishing that Saonji is a psychopath. Toss in a couple of bodies and serial killer could be in her future. We've already had one of those before, why not a second?

Or maybe a future victim? I can totally see her pushing the wrong buttons at the wrong time and getting offed for it.

And 'soapies' is probably something to do with soaping each other up in the bath and general fanservice bait like that.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm gonna guess it's a reference to Soaplands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollo Justice
Apr 28, 2013

Believe me, any comic relief I may provide is entirely unintentional.

Stoat posted:

I'm gonna guess it's a reference to Soaplands?

Owari mentioned Hostess Clubs when they were discussing the smell in the first place, so that's not a bad idea.

• Locked thread