Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Stroth posted:

fakeedit: Mother of gently caress! I get that these games are great, but how the hell did the thread get that popular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The paywall is a great thing, it certainly got me to buy an account. I mean, I looked over multiple threads and forums and lurked for like a year and a half beforehand so maybe that's the issue.

I'm totally down for Slowbeef's idea to ask Lowtax to put the paywall up for this thread only. It'd be a nice little revenue generator. :v:

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

lotus circle posted:

They mean the large amount of people who view the LP without buying an account. I mean lets be real, this LP is great but no way in hell would the view count be over 4.5 million if the only people who read this LP were people with accounts. Same goes for the large amount of voting. The first free time event for the game, where only people on the forums voted, tallied maybe 500 something votes with people voting for two characters. This one was 3008 voters in 24 hours.

Incredible, yet also quite uncouth.

Very well. Let us commence with operation "Tumbling Tumbler," Orenronen!

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

No wonder there are Tumblr people who called this place "Dangan Ronpa forum".

VVV I ain't kidding - somebody posted a Tumblr screenshot on the DR1 thread and I made a mock screenshot of that happening, which is why I remember.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 27, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeek posted:

No wonder there are Tumblr people who called this place "Dangan Ronpa forum".

Ahaha, are you serious? God-drat, what have you done, orenoren? Apart from being Spike's most prolific yet most underpaid advertising exec, of course :v:

That said, with so many views, now that figure of 6112 votes seems amazingly low. Was there a paywall while it was being held?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Stroth posted:

The view count is what now?

fakeedit: Mother of gently caress! I get that these games are great, but how the hell did the thread get that popular?

Thanks to Ralp for these. Paywall goes up:

Paywall goes down:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My only concern with further fuckery towards the Tumblr crowd is that it might (would) mean more idiots for Slowbeef and Zorak to :redhammer:. Haven't the mods suffered enough?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My only concern with further fuckery towards the Tumblr crowd is that it might (would) mean more idiots for Slowbeef and Zorak to :redhammer:. Haven't the mods suffered enough?

Not nearly enough in my opinion.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is the number of page impressions from the current tumblr crowd times the revenue per page impression greater or less than the number who would actually register times :10bux:? Lowtax's kids' college fund wants to know, and given that at peak the tumblr load seems to more than double the number of active sessions I'd bet on the former being larger.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Paracelsus posted:

Is the number of page impressions from the current tumblr crowd times the revenue per page impression greater or less than the number who would actually register times :10bux:? Lowtax's kids' college fund wants to know, and given that at peak the tumblr load seems to more than double the number of active sessions I'd bet on the former being larger.

Well, having the paywall up for about a week isn't likely to increase the page impression load as much as it would shift it forward into whenever the paywall is lifted, which would tilt things toward the latter.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Since I know there are people in Tokyo reading this thread, I thought I'd bring to attention that a preview of the DR anime first episode and a talk session featuring Megumi Ogata will take place at Roppongi Hills on June 23. You can apply for tickets starting tomorrow here (they will be chosen by lottery).

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

orenronen posted:

Since I know there are people in Tokyo reading this thread, I thought I'd bring to attention that a preview of the DR anime first episode and a talk session featuring Megumi Ogata will take place at Roppongi Hills on June 23. You can apply for tickets starting tomorrow here (they will be chosen by lottery).

Oh man I will totally go if 3-4 other people are.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Anatharon posted:

Polsy linking to be safe, but this is an awesome remix of the opening theme to DR2.

http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7NV_pkoFV90
Wouldn't recommend downloading that link in the description if you are avoiding spoilers, as the track names are actually in english.
but drat the other remixes of the different tracks are just as awesome, especially the one for Beautiful Dead.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Fat Care-Bear posted:

Wouldn't recommend downloading that link in the description if you are avoiding spoilers, as the track names are actually in english.
but drat the other remixes of the different tracks are just as awesome, especially the one for Beautiful Dead.

I completely missed the download link, sorry. :sigh:

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

Anatharon posted:

Danganronpa's not quite an indie game or something, it's super popular in Japan. With Tumblr people, chances are they heard about it and this is the first chance for them to actually SEE it.

It's not really all that popular in my neck of the woods. I don't know anyone here who knows it, actually, and I haven't found any merch offline. That's one reason I continue to be amazed by how phenomenal the voice casting is.

I think most of the tumblr fandom is self-perpetuating, as these things tend to be. Some people found DR1 and posted stuff and it spread from there... tumblr is a pretty great vector for the more disease-like aspects of fandoms.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

zetsubous posted:

It's not really all that popular in my neck of the woods. I don't know anyone here who knows it, actually, and I haven't found any merch offline. That's one reason I continue to be amazed by how phenomenal the voice casting is.

I think most of the tumblr fandom is self-perpetuating, as these things tend to be. Some people found DR1 and posted stuff and it spread from there... tumblr is a pretty great vector for the more disease-like aspects of fandoms.

Okay, I'll admit that most of my time spent in Japan is in Tokyo so even if Dangan Ronpa only had a few fans chance are I'd find some there. :v:

Aside from my own anectodes now regarding 'popular' is just from sales figures; The game sold pretty well, and so did DR2. No idea about the novel though.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Yeah, basically if I hadn't seen the LP I wouldn't have guessed it was a thing here in Tokyo at all outside of Akihabara or Nakano Broadway. I think its popularity on Tumblr gives the wrong impression about its influence in Japan almost. Likewise I know everyone's all psyched about the anime coming out but I haven't seen a single advert once on TV (although I will grant that most of my viewing hours are prime housewife hours so the only commercials I ever see are Fontaine wigs for old ladies and mugwort supplements. If I was watching after midnight I'd probably see a blurb or something).

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Dangan Ronpa has gotten quite popular among its target audience of video gamers and anime fans. Of course it's not mainstream popular - I have no idea how anyone thought it was.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

orenronen posted:

Dangan Ronpa has gotten quite popular among its target audience of video gamers and anime fans. Of course it's not mainstream popular - I have no idea how anyone thought it was.

People tend to forget Anime is still very niche in Japan and isn't seen as anything more than cartoons. You can argue America sees cartoons as more mainstream thanks to the Simpsons and Family Guy in comparison.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Tae posted:

People tend to forget Anime is still very niche in Japan and isn't seen as anything more than cartoons. You can argue America sees cartoons as more mainstream thanks to the Simpsons and Family Guy in comparison.
Unless it's Doraemon or Sazae-san, which are the two greatest "mainstream" anime franchises. And Dangan Ronpa got their most iconic voices. You can't get any closer to mainstream while being a videogame.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Just because a voice actor is in it, doesn't mean it's "mainstream". Dan Castellaneta, the voice actor for Homer and a bunch of other The Simpsons characters, voiced the starring role in Eek! The Cat, but you've never heard of it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

Unless it's Doraemon or Sazae-san, which are the two greatest "mainstream" anime franchises. And Dangan Ronpa got their most iconic voices. You can't get any closer to mainstream while being a videogame.

If you want something that's a little closer to American fandom, I think it's safe to call One Piece mainstream popular. Most other anime that isn't for children is niche stuff that's aired either late late night or on premium channels, though.

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009
Sometimes not being main stream is fine too. Though I did enjoy the catchphrase "It never hurts to help" always being a lie. I only wish I could remember the name of the other cartoon that was on Eek the Cat. The one with the dinos and the one inventor caveman.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

orenronen posted:

If you want something that's a little closer to American fandom, I think it's safe to call One Piece mainstream popular. Most other anime that isn't for children is niche stuff that's aired either late late night or on premium channels, though.

I'd argue Dragonball Z, more than One Piece. You'd be hard pressed to find an American male my age who hasn't at least heard of it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

orenronen posted:

I didn't mean to imply it was, I meant popular in the sense say, Starcraft is popular in the Americas.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

fool_of_sound posted:

I'd argue Dragonball Z, more than One Piece. You'd be hard pressed to find an American male my age who hasn't at least heard of it.

I think he's saying that One Piece is mainstream popular in Japan, which it really is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Considering they made a life sized statue of a one piece character. (who happens to be a giant) http://i.imgur.com/HCmAe58.jpg

I would say its mainstream for sure.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Considering they made a life sized statue of a one piece character. (who happens to be a giant) http://i.imgur.com/HCmAe58.jpg

I would say its mainstream for sure.

Aw man, now I want to see the life sized Gundam take on the life sized Shirahoshi. Japan sure does like to build life sized anime stuff, I swear I saw a Doraemon one once in a magazine made entirely out of snow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Policenaut posted:

Aw man, now I want to see the life sized Gundam take on the life sized Shirahoshi. Japan sure does like to build life sized anime stuff, I swear I saw a Doraemon one once in a magazine made entirely out of snow.

We can't leave Col. Sanders dressed as Goku out of this fight.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Suspicious Dish posted:

Just because a voice actor is in it, doesn't mean it's "mainstream". Dan Castellaneta, the voice actor for Homer and a bunch of other The Simpsons characters, voiced the starring role in Eek! The Cat, but you've never heard of it.

I have. I loved that show.... :smith:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Re: folks going on and on about tumblr / offsite track: Do we need to go on and on about other place's fandom of the Let's Play? Who cares? Like really. It's so inconsequential and has nothing to do with the game or Let's Play really, beyond the obvious. It doesn't add anything of particular value.

Let's try to focus on the game and playthrough. Thank you.

Reiraku
Oct 9, 2012

SaitoBatch posted:

Sometimes not being main stream is fine too. Though I did enjoy the catchphrase "It never hurts to help" always being a lie. I only wish I could remember the name of the other cartoon that was on Eek the Cat. The one with the dinos and the one inventor caveman.

The Terrible Thunder Lizards.

Considering the voice acting cast these games have pulled, it really wouldn't surprise me if it were considered mainstream popular.

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I think he's saying that One Piece is mainstream popular in Japan, which it really is.

Yeah, One Piece is as mainstream as it gets. But it's not impossible for a video game to go mainstream, especially with an anime attached, so Dangan might become more broadly popular... one of the convenience stores here has been selling Persona, Fate/Zero, and Vocaloid merchandise for ages. Then again, my possibly mistaken impression of all of those is that they're a lot less late-night than Dangan.

quote:

Considering the voice acting cast these games have pulled, it really wouldn't surprise me if it were considered mainstream popular.

Like I said, not where I'm at. Hell, even in Fukuoka (which is a metropolis compared to my area), asking after Dangan Ronpa only got me a blank look at the merch store.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Beautiful Days [Piano Arrange]

Before we go out to hang with our friends, we have a pet to check on.

Yep, Chibimi has hatched and is alive once more. Let's try that present giving button.

Mineral Water: A beverage processed from water from the deepest reaches of the ocean, made for the modern man who is not satisfied with tap water. Rich in minerals.

This bottle of mineral water is the cheapest present in the game, and you can get as many of them as you want from the vending machine at the supermarket.

We got a heart in the Hope level meter! So, how happy should we get this bunny? Are we cheap and just do what we can to keep her alive, or do we spend our hard-earned Monobear coins on lots of presents? Opinions, please!

But now, onward to check on Nagito, who won the poll again.

That's where Komaeda is tied up...
I'm not sure I want to see him right now... I don't think I'm prepared, emotionally.

So... let's not enter this place.

Are you guys ever going to not fall for this?

The next highest scorer was Nanami, who's at the beach on her playdate with Koizumi. Let’s steal her away.

Zzzz...

Zzzzzzz...

Is she awake? Is she asleep? Do I dare check?

Check / Leave her alone

Zzzzzzz...

...Ah, good morning.
I want to get something to drink now that I'm awake... I think. Are you coming too, Hinata-kun?

I spent some time drinking tea with Nanami at the restaurant.

I feel we got a little closer...
Should I give her a present?

Give / Do not give

Hand-power Glove: A glove-shaped game controller. Not compatible with modern game consoles. Allows the user to control games using finger movement, a feature that won it some zealous fans.

Hinata kun... That's something amazing you have there!

...Thank you. This is the first time I’ve ever gotten such a wonderful present.

Vacant as always, I see.

Zzzz...

...Ah, sorry. I fell asleep a little bit.

Sleeping while standing. That takes skill.

Are you not getting enough sleep or something?

Hmmm... Sometimes, when I really get into a game, I forget to sleep.
From time to time I even forget to breathe.

That's dangerous...!

Lately, I've also been having bad dreams. I had one just now, and got a little scared.
Um, mind if I ask what about?
Um... It was a dream about "Trio the Punch".
...Huh?

The Jabberwock Park statue turned into a bald old man with a mustache.
I think I started having this dream after we were suddenly transported to this island.

I mean... This situation we’re in... it’s like a level out of some absurd action game, isn’t it?
We might all turn into sheep at some point, too.

Is that... "Trio the Punch" a game? What the hell kind of game is it?

I highly recommend people who aren't familiar with that title to go look it up. Look for playthrough videos on Youtube, in particular.

You... really do love video games, don't you?

Hmmm... Maybe it's better to say games are my life... or maybe life itself is a game?

But... that's exactly why we mustn't go on with that mutual killing.
A game that isn't fun isn't really a game, you see. Besides, a game you get nothing out of whether you win or lose is meaningless.
...Wise words.
Not all games have happy endings, but you should always be left with something meaningful after you beat a game.
There are absurdly difficult games out there, but they're fun in their own special way.
What's fun about them is that if you work hard and put in the effort, you end up with a real sense of accomplishment when you finally beat them.

Heh... She really is a "Super High-school Level Gamer"... If it were me, I'd probably just give up straight away.

But... to tell you the truth, there are some games I'm not very good at.
Oh? What kind?

...Not telling.
I...I see...

Does she have a reason for not wanting to talk about it?
Oh well. I think I understand Nanami a little better now...

...And that's enough for now.

Hope shard acquired

I parted with Nanami and went back to my room.

It's still light outside... I can't just stay inside all day.

...I should do something.

Next on our list in Gundam, a second time.

...Impossible! You?! You’re the spy he sent to track me?!

Um... what? Can I spend time with Tanaka when he's like this?

Spend time / Go somewhere else

Ha! Even with your subterfuge dispelled, you persist? Or perhaps you’d have me believe you’re here to turn your cloak?

Hmhmhm... a bold ploy... Choose your next words carefully, treacherous one. They will determine your... fate.

I listened to Tanaka spin tales about the political wars of the sorcery world.

I think we got a little close.

Should I give him a present?

Give / Do not give

Bag 'o Bread: A bag full of sweet pastry, like melon bread and butter peanut bread. The logo "Hansel & Gretel" is printed on it.

...Very well. Your offering is... adequate.

I shall grace you with more of my time. You are most fortunate!

Halt. If you care for your life, do not come any closer.
...My wild beasts thirst for blood today.
Is it about the hamsters? I thought hamsters were well behaved, as far as animals go.

As expected... your obliviousness continues to astound.
By all means... judge them weak by their unassuming appearance. Invite disaster upon your head.
But know this, ignorant one... These are beasts... If provoked, they would devour their own parents without hesitation or regret.
They are proud, and fiercely territorial, and will show no quarter until their foe lies dead.

Only this morning, greedy Sun-D invaded Jum-P's territory.
Sun-D’s onslaught pushed Jum-P into the area controlled by Maga-G.
Ever vengeful, the furious Maga-G sought to vent his anger on Cham-P...

By my own timely intervention, and the sacrifice of my left hand, I was able to restore order and prevent a calamity... this time.
I...I see... That's certainly... terrible.

Is that why... his hands are always wrapped in bandages?

Incidentally... do you know which species of the Four Dark Gods has the largest physique?

Is he talking about types of hamsters? Um...

Djungarian / Golden / Roborovski

Was it... Roborovski hamsters or something?

They have a strong affinity to the wind element, and thus conflict with my own power...
They are a species born proud of their speed and tiny size, which allows them to disappear in a split second.

Wow...! But now's not the time to be impressed. I think I got that wrong.

Djungarian hamsters are pretty large, right?
If those you have witnessed were so big that they surpassed the rest of their brethern...
...Then their master deserves certain death!

Fattening your underlings just because that would make them cuter... is nothing but a burden on their weak hearts!

I see... I guess he's right... But, now's not the time to impressed!

It's... Golden hamsters, right? They're the largest.

Indeed. Of the hamster species in the subfamily Cricetinae, theirs are the largest physiques. Ferocious beasts, they are.
And yet... they are also the most peaceful by nature... and the cleverest.
The others know not the meaning of fear. Therefore, they will not hesitate to lay a thousand bites upon you the moment they spot you.

But, Golden hamsters know fear. They will not bare their fangs without good cause... lest they invite death.
Do you mean... they realize the danger in biting humans?

One must be wary of their stress level when raising them. It would not do to... provoke them.
I see... You sure know a lot.

But, that is not the only quality Golden hamsters hold. Within them lie endless possibilities.
The color and quality, and even the patterns of their fur can combine in myriad ways...

Even now, my groundbreaking research into wild beast fusion proceeds ever forward!
Soon, the wickedest of beasts will be born! A sparkling silver long-furred cross-breed of domino and banded Goldens!

Ku... I pray the mother and child I left behind fare well... even now...

I'm not really sure what he's talking about... but I think he's worried about some hamsters he left back home.

You must have others back home, right? Are those... "wild beasts" going to be okay?

Your concern is unneeded. I have disciples the world over.
Should the worst come to pass... my fusion research will be in good hands. I have already considered my... legacy.

To them, I have imparted my knowledge... and given my trust - to avoid the lethal genes, to experiment humanely...

And of course... my personally selected few stand ever ready to take care of my beasts.

He’s... really thought this through.

Taking care of animals is a heavy responsibility... I’d never really considered that before talking to Tanaka.

I do not expect you to ever have the chance, but if by some miracle you do...
If you find yourself master of one of my beasts, they require regular exercise, comfortable bedding and the highest quality food.

After all... they have only 1095 precious days from their birth to live on this planet.
...Remember it well.

Tanaka finished talking and walked away.

I don't think it's just hamsters... I have a feeling I caught a glimpse of how much he cares for all animals...

Hope shard acquired

I watched Tanaka's pathos-filled figure walk off into the horizon, then went back to my room.

Music stops

* ding dong ding dong *

Um, This is an announcement from Hope's Peak Academy's Field Trip Executive Committee...
Emergency! Emergency!
You bastards’ presence is urgently requested at Jabberwock Park!
Hurry up!
I will treat the student who arrives the fastest to my special curry rice tomorrow evening!
I said, hurry up!

Curry rice, huh... Feels like it’s been forever since I last had some...

...Wait, who does he think is gonna fall for that?!

I don't know what he's up to this time, but...

But, I can't just not show up.

Once again, off to Jabberwock Park...

orenronen fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 28, 2013

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Spoil her!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jasper Chalks
Dec 23, 2011

orenronen posted:

Bag 'o Bread: A bag full of sweet pastry, like melon bread and butter peanut bread. The logo "Hansel & Gretel" is printed on it.

Should that be peanut butter bread, or is it just some food I haven't heard of?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Of all the games to reference. :allears: I like you sometimes, Dangan Ronpa.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
Isn't Hansel and Gretel brand of bread the spy likes in DR0?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Orfeo posted:

Isn't Hansel and Gretel brand of bread the spy likes in DR0?
It most certainly is, which is only natural, I guess, especially if the game has even more direct references to DR0 later.

Why do I have this funny feeling that Nanami is bad at dating sims?

And if nothing else, talking with Gundam is always worth it for more Fedule-edited goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Hey Oren, isn't it Roborovski?

• Locked thread