Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

suuchan posted:

Ah, I guess so. The no spoiler guide includes 'character names and titles', so I assumed.

Eh, shouldn't take too long anyway. We'll get an official introduction soon. Hopefully.

DESPAIR. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Zandar posted:

The combination of the hexcode at the start, the glitches before Hinata blacks out and Hope's Peak being apparently fine when he got there (which presumably must have been after the Incident, unless DR2 happens before DR) puts me in mind of this being some sort of computer simulation. I know there are any number of other explanations, but it would continue the AI theme of the first game.

Ah well, no doubt my instincts will get shattered next update as happened so often last LP. Looking forward to another great read!

It could happen during DR (E: In the sense that it would take place within the time gap). Remember, the DR1 class was at Hope's Peak for a year before the most despair-inducing incident in the history of mankind or whatever it was called. And that classroom does look familiar. So I'm thinking here that we're dealing with the DR1 cast's juniors.

Or a simulation of them, given the whole glitchy code stuff.

Magic Pants
Oct 9, 2012

Would you like to see
the Labryinth...
In My Pants?

Ergonomix posted:

Welp. That sure is a start. Glad I could get in on this, I didn't start reading the previous thread until it was already finished. You do some good work, dude.

So, it looks like most characters share cosmetic similarities with previous ones but then the rest is unrelated, like the chef with Oowada's hair. Some characters seem to combine two previous characters, like fat Togami. And the weirdest thing to me is that some previous characters are represented in multiple people, like sword girl and Agent Francis Morgan there both reminding me of Kirigiri.

The only ones who don't remind me of anyone are red haired girl and the broody guy that hasn't had any lines yet.

But I should probably wait until we even get introduced to everybody before I can really speculate at anything.

The chef actually reminds me of the character that was unused in DR1. (I think he was super high school biologist Santa?)

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Yeah Bro posted:

They kinda got lazy with the character design, didn't they. Most of these guys have reused faces or bodies from the previous game. I get that it's anime, but they could at least have tried for a bit more variation. Unless this game is going to pull an SO3 and it'll turn out that the whole game takes place in a computer simulation with all the characteristics of the entrants switched up. But that's just baseless speculation.

Honestly, yeah, so far I'm not digging the characters designs outside of Fatogami and maybe the the Pillsbury Doughboy looking dude. so I'm hoping their personalities win me over.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Renzuko posted:

I'm calling cross dresser now so that in 150 updates when this character is dead and someone grabs their crotch to reveal that he is actually a woman, I can be all smug and quote myself.

Pinstripe McBuzzcut is totally a girl, I agree. Hell, the first thing I thought to myself was "Girl!" when I saw the picture, and it's all cause of the eyes.

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011
Goonami! :syoon:

And that chef...! I thought Santa would look out of place in the last cast but now he seems completely normal in comparison.

Catastrophics fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 11, 2012

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So hey, that classroom sure looks familiar dosen't it!

Just gonna point out that as far as I know, every classroom in the academy is basically identical.

draconianlaw
Oct 21, 2012

Loaded with logic. Literally.
Oh.

Hello there new thread! You sure look bright and shiny and new!

...And here's the cast of brand new murder children. Huh.

Something about this whole game's color scheme is throwing me. off. It... I don't know. Looks faded? like an old photograph or something.

But hey, Mr. Purple Scarf there brooding in the back looks pretty cool. Too bad he had nothing to say.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Well it didn't take very long for speculation to start running wild in here.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

njsykora posted:

Well it didn't take very long for speculation to start running wild in here.
What else are we supposed to do? Twiddle our thumbs and patiently wait for the next update?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh wow we're starting! And already we've gotten the one 'spoiler' I knew out of the way - that Monorabbit exists. So I'm going in clean and pure.

So far my thoughts are that Beautiful Days remains as uplifting as ever, Fat Togami looks weird as hell, and that creepy chef is going to murder everyone. Immediately.

Also:

I think this girl looks a lot like Junko. I'm thinking the similarities are deliberate, not laziness. Of course I have no idea what significance they could have...

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I also like how, so far, all of Fatogami's sprites are all a fat version of his DR1 version sprites, I hope they are like that.

Also the fact that this is a sequel and we are already talking about him so much......I have a bad felling about the first victim now :smith:

Well there is also Naegi but with crazy hair so it could be him too I guess, since he was there in the very first scene my theory is that he will be the Maizono type assistant in this chapter..

suuchan
Oct 12, 2012

mystery solved!

Orfeo posted:

Eh, shouldn't take too long anyway. We'll get an official introduction soon. Hopefully.

DESPAIR. :unsmigghh:

Hopefully.
I think Oren mentioned something in the DR1 thread about having a small backlog of DR2 updates? So maybe the official introductions will come pretty soon!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

I am digging the hell out of this guy's design. I hope he turns out to be a Super High School Level Dancer or Graffiti Artist or something.
Super High School Level Scrapbooker

EDIT: Jesus Christ this thread moves fast.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

So has everyone else decided who they want to live and die based on the tiny amount we've seen so far? I'm rooting for backpack girl personally.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Whoo!

I didn't read the first LP until very late in the game when I heard it suggested via podcast. I'm happy to be here on the ground floor for this one. Not used to this cast yet, but I'm sure they'll grow on me in time.

So, in Dangan Ronpa, Junko showed the images of Monoworld. Does that mean that Monoworld is confirmed a lie, since this game is a sequel. You'd think that if the world outside was fine, Naegi & Co. would be getting the word out that Hope's Peak murders its students. Or maybe this is happening concurrently as DR1 but somewhere else, so Monoworld will continue to be ambiguously true.

Anyway, theories aside, hopefully this game will exceed Dangan Ronpa in terms of... Well, everything.

Also looking forward to how Zero plays into all of this. I'm assuming from that first chapter/prologue it probably follows Junko and Mukuro?

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look at this face and tell me he doesn't intend to gleefully to murder the gently caress out of everyone :stonk:.

You know what I think? If he's not our mastermind, he has a murderous split personality. I also bet he uses his victims as cooking ingredients.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
All the characters have aspects of previous characters - Chef has Mondo's hair, that blonde girl has Maizono's hair, Fatogami is Togami + Yamada... we even have the return of Asahina's chest.

Personally I can't wait for Free Time again. :allears: I'm guessing Fatogami will get oodles of votes.

Also, with all the 'chef might be the chief!' suggestions, maybe we'll even have another Suspicious Dish 'holy nuts, he guessed the master antagonist on the first page!' again.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
To be honest, I really hope Col. Togami there isn't original recipe Togami and is a new character. But I REALLY hope the pale hoody guy isn't Naegi even more. Mostly to keep the DR 1 ending/message of hope intact because it would be kinda lovely to bring back DR1 staples only to kill them off in the practice of the "Dies in the Sequel" trope.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

So has everyone else decided who they want to live and die based on the tiny amount we've seen so far? I'm rooting for backpack girl personally.

The super high school level Chef is too beautiful for this cruel, cruel world

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
All you dudes talking about split-personalities, you seem to be working under the assumption that the game's writers are lazy enough to copy twists from the previous game. New game, new rules. Fat-Togami may not even be wealthy, the generic love interest probably won't be psychotic, and I doubt anyone has multiple personalities. Besides, everyone knows that the mastermind will be Santa. :colbert:
*I have heard nothing about this game before besides what was talked about in the Dangan Ronpa 1 thread. None of the above statements are spoilers (as far as I know).

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

One thing for sure: the chef's death will lead to Fatgami's ultimate despair.

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

Ohboyohboyohboyohboy!:dance:

So, apparently Togami has decided to cosplay as Nero Wolfe. Well, with him, Detective Conan, and "Frances" York Morgan around, the criminals don't stand a chance.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Son Conan posted:

So, apparently Togami has decided to cosplay as Nero Wolfe. Well, with him, Detective Conan, and "Frances" York Morgan around, the criminals don't stand a chance.

Huh. I wonder if in some way this is significant, or if it's just a little nod. It'd be loving awesome though if *all* the characters have some sort of reference to a detective hidden in their character.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
The thing that immediately jumped out at me regarding chef guy is that his facial design is almost exactly like the plant-loving guy from the concept art who never got used in the original game. Not sure where the idea came from that he's going to be the first murderer though. If anything, I'd probably expect it to be one of the more ordinary-looking ones, just to throw everyone off yet again.

Honestly, from what I've seen of the cast thus far, I'm not sure I quite like the designs so much. I'll have to see if their personalities can carry them, but for the moment, I'm not that enthusiastic about most of them. While we've got some interesting ones in the crowd, others, like the lady with the large amount of cleavage, seem a little bland in terms of their design.

As for the main character, we haven't seen enough of him yet to determine whether he's as much of a doormat as Naegi, but I'm hoping that he's actually a little more assertive and takes charge a little more, just to change things up a little.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Son Conan posted:

I'm down with this. Wolfe is my favorite fictional detective.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I like so many of the characters already. The androgynous suited kid (suits look great on everyone ever), Lightning McEyebrows, the two goth ravers at the back, the super-polite Classic Lolita girl (who I will presently dub as Alice)...

And they're all probably going to die! Bugger!

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011

The chef is tiny compared to the rest of the cast!

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I like how everyone is so excited about fat Togami that nobody has even mentioned the loving furry

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
What furry?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Regarding the designs, I actually like quite a few of them.

But for me, while I can see the re-hashing of designs from DR 1, it's not that that bothers me, it's some of the color schemes. Would it have killed anybody to have changed some of the girls' colors? Three of them have very light/pale blond scalps that are far too close to the color of Junko's hair for crying out loud.

EDIT: ...Wait. *what* furry?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Son Conan posted:

Haha, that would be perfect. Hell, William S. Baring-Gould(and somebody else whose named I cannot recall) theorized that Nero Wolfe was Sherlock Holmes' son with Irene Adler. Could Fatogami be Togami's son with...I don't know, who's the DR equivalent of Irene Adler? It's sure as hell not Fukawa.

...Wow. Page three and I feel we already went past the deep end with theories.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Catastrophics posted:

The chef is tiny compared to the rest of the cast!

Maybe it's because she's just sat down, but that girl sat just in front of him doesn't seem particularly large either.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

orenronen posted:

...Oy. How about you at least come into the room?
Eh? Oh, excuse me!

...Why am I suddenly speaking politely?
They may all be "Super High-school Level", but they're also my classmates...

That's right... First impressions are essential! I must act dignified!

And so, as I tried my best to hide my nervous state behind a blank expression...

...I closed the door behind me, and took an empty seat in the classroom's back row.

orenronen posted:

Right after we came here, I felt an urge and figured I’d go use the crapper...

But that door wouldn't budge an inch!
...Wait, what? Was Fatgami the only one who noticed an open door, but decided to stay in the room? Or does SHSL Zeus no longer feel like visiting the WC? Gotta agree with Hajime, this is weird.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

This is the best early Xmas gift ever.

Yapaari
Nov 10, 2012
Hey, I just finished reading the updates of the DR thread, good job orenronen! (unfortunately missed the speculation, cause I don't have that much free time :( )
I'll be reading this one too and since I feel pretty confident about my Japanese reading comprehension, I'll probably be playing the original game at the same time, so I might be asking you questions about your translation choices. You okay with that?
Also, is Fedule helping with the translation or is it just editing? I didn't really understand what you meant with "rewriting the translation". Do you mean "retranslating"?
Keep it up!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sherringford posted:

Haha, that would be perfect. Hell, William S. Baring-Gould(and somebody else whose named I cannot recall) theorized that Nero Wolfe was Sherlock Holmes' son with Irene Adler. Could Fatogami be Togami's son with...I don't know, who's the DR equivalent of Irene Adler? It's sure as hell not Fukawa.

...Wow. Page three and I feel we already went past the deep end with theories.

Not Fukawa no. I just realized we already know who three of these characters are:

There's Fat Togami, Long Hair Naegi, and Punk Hagakure.

:v:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Yes! Dangan Ronpa 2 LP is here at last! Hope it will be as fun as the last one. :allears:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

yessssssss

The original LP (alternate title, Let's Make Lowtax Mad Bank on New Avatars) was one of the most delightful surprises I've had the pleasure of encountering on these forums. It's very rare these days to find a game you can experience totally blind. One as entertaining as the original Dangan Ronpa is rarer still. The two of you have my sincere appreciation for making this franchise accessible to an English-speaking audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I bet the horn girl and the chef will not live past chapter 3. Their designs are too goofy for their own good.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 11, 2012

• Locked thread