Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot, but what kind of surfboard case is big enough for a human to fit into it? Surfboards are long, but they're not usually very deep.

All of the characters in this game are made of cardboard. They are physically 2 dimensional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Indeed, the Flat Stanley franchise has changed in style and tone quite a lot in recent years.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Gensuki posted:

All of the characters in this game are made of cardboard. They are physically 2 dimensional.

If that doesn't work for you, just imagine that the lid of the box is sitting upright to the side and acting as a wall for the culprit inside of the box.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Surf boards arn't perfectly flat either. They have those fin things that stick out.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot, but what kind of surfboard case is big enough for a human to fit into it? Surfboards are long, but they're not usually very deep.

A quick look around google turns up a lot of pretty big-rear end surfboard cases, and surfboard cases that hold more than one board.

That one, for instance, is 13 inches deep. More than large enough to stuff a person into, especially if they're built like a Dangan Ronpa fanfiction writer (the skinny kind of fanfiction writer, not the obese kind.)

MagentaMagpie
Jul 25, 2013
At least the thing about Peko's alibi is that it's technically provable/disprovable. I wouldn't put it past monobear to have magical impassible barriers around each of the islands. If Peko really did spend that time trying to swim to the other islands and failing, then she should have been the only one to know about it, thus her commenting on it.
If you really can swim from island to island then clearly she was lying.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Rawkking posted:

Now that I think about it, Kuryuzuu is somewhat plausible as a willing accomplice, especially if Peko is the killer.

- He showed up at the diner around the time of the killing
- Of all the people in the cast that Kuryuzuu doesn't get along with, Peko seems to sort of be able to interact with him amicably (she has done things like invite him to the party, among other stuff)
- Kuryuzuu was adamant that Saionji was the killer for no real reason, something Hinata thought was odd
- And most of all, he has a plausible motive from the game. Would he be willing to sacrifice his own life to kill Maihiru and (as a result of the killer going free) all of the other girls she was friends with in the story, especially with how much he already dislikes people?

He also had the envelope in hand that was given to the first person to beat the game, yet I think Kurzuyuu wasn't the first person to beat it? Maybe he just claimed that, can't be sure.

Based on the same evidence, I (still) think that Kuzuryuu is the killer and Peko the accomplice. I'm sure I got some details wrong (especially regarding Peko's exact motive) when I posted about that theory, but I'm still sure about the gist of it. The only detail I'd modify from what I said previously, is that Peko hid in the surfboard bag after moving the body and washing the blood off of herself, but before planting the gummi and going to the diner. It's the only sequence of events that makes sense to me, without dragging ninja assassins or anime Dexter into it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Trial 14 (Raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 14 (Sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

IT COULD ONLY HAVE BEEN YOU!

Pekoyama... It's you, isn't it?!

Hey... Why so quiet? You've just been accused of murder, y'know!

Well, then. I suppose we should hear you out. Why do you think I am the culprit?

I remembered how you appeared when you arrived at the diner for the beach party.

Souda and Hinata... Why are you two here?
What’s up with you? You seem out of breath...
...I went to take a quick swim.

If the culprit had washed their entire body with bottled water, it would be strange if they were dry...

There were no towels at the beach house, and it would have taken too much time to dry in the sun.
You attempted to cover it up by telling us you went for a swim, didn't you?

S...Say something! Don't just stand there with your mouth shut!

Wait a second, bastards!
All you said is you saw her at the diner... no one said anything about her coming from the beach house, right?
She probably did just come back from a swim!

Yeah, but no one saw her do that either!

No... I saw her...

...Huh?

After... I met you at the diner... I passed by her on my way back to the hotel...

S...So... She didn’t come to the diner from the beach house. I’m certain of it.

Wait... No, wait... That’s not what you said earlier!

I was just passing by the area by chance. I paid no attention to the beach house.
I went straight back to the hotel after meeting you there. I saw no one on the way back.

You said you didn't see anyone back then. You can't just go back on that now.

Keh...!

I...It's still not enough...! We still can't say for sure she’s the culprit!

We don't even know how the culprit got out of the beach house, do we?!

N...Now that he mentions it... that's right...

The tunnel-side door was blocked, and there would’ve been footprints if they used the beach-side door...

So, where did the culprit escape from, and how?!

Um... why is Fuyuhiko-chan so upset? It's Peko-chan who's our current suspect!

T...That doesn't matter! Let's see you solve this mystery!!

...I think we can. Probably.

...What?!

...Are you saying you know the answer to that question? It's the one thing that has completely stumped us so far.

But, you see, if we assume you are the culprit, Pekoyama-san... things begin to make a little sense.

Is that so...

Fine, let's hear you make sense of it. How did the culprit leave the beach house?

Well... first, let's think about the culprit’s escape route...

The culprit’s escape route... I think I know the answer to that one.

Or rather... I can only think of one option.

The window at the shower room / The closet / The beach-side door / The toilet

THAT'S IT!

If both the tunnel-side door and the beach-side door were impossible, there’d only be one option left...

...The window in the shower room.

Heh. Don't you know how high that window is? Pekoyama couldn't possibly reach it...

B...But... if someone helped her...

If she stood on someone's shoulders she could probably reach it, but... whoever it was would’ve been left behind...

Perhaps she used some kind of tool? A rope, for example...

And what happened to that tool once she was out? Don't be stupid and say she just threw it away somewhere.

Besides, that would clearly be against the rules!

Rule no. 3
Throwing garbage and damaging the environment is forbidden. Let's live in harmony with nature on this beautiful island.

Throwing away garbage is forbidden... Even if that garbage is evidence.

See? That window's no good after all...!

No... it's fine if she used a tool.

Chiaki-chan, you shouldn't fall asleep in the middle of a discussion! We were just talking about why that's impossible!

Were we? I thought we were talking about how it's it’s impossible to dispose of a tool, not how it was impossible to use one.

I see! If she kept it with her and hid it somewhere it would be alright!

Huh? Big-sis Pekoyama was in a swimsuit, y'know! Where would she hide a tool?

And don't try to tell me she used her private female parts if you want to stay healthy!

N...No...! Please, no more violence!!

Even if the culprit used a tool, they couldn't just dispose of it...
The culprit had to keep it with them, hiding it somehow.

In that case...

I have to concentrate... and think. What did the culprit use to escape through that window...?!

Phase 11 (Raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 11 (Sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

FLASHING ANAGRAM START

Fwoosh fwoosh fwoosh!

S H I N A I

I GOT IT!

Trial 15 (Raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 15 (Sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

Pekoyama... You always have that shinai on your back. I've never seen you without it.

It was the same... back then.

You were in a swimsuit, and yet you had that shinai on you, as always.

A...Are you saying she used that shinai to escape through the window...?

It sounds absurd, but... Pekoyama used her shinai as a springboard to reach the window.

A...A springboard sword?!

See? I told 'ya it was a ninja! A ninja could easily climb that wall!

There’s a famous ninja technique for climbing walls. They lean their sword against the wall and use the guard as a springboard.

Yes! That's what Japanese ninja do!

Sonia-san... there's no such thing as non-Japanese ninja!

Pekoyama-san only had a bamboo sword, but... well, she's a pretty lightweight girl so she could do it with ease... most likely.

How about it, Pekoyama? Do you have something to say?

Tutorial posted:

It's once again time for Panic Talk Attack (PTA).
This time, I'd like to explain about Fever Time and Negative Time.
Starting with this PTA, you can use the R button to enter Fever Time.
Once you activate Fever Time, the action will switch up to the fastest tempo!
In addition, during Fever Time your attacks will always connect, regardless of timing!
By simply pushing the circle button repeatedly, you can easily destroy your opponent's defenses.
But be careful, it only lasts as long as your concentration meter does. Please use it to your advantage...
Be careful, though! You are not the only one with such an advantage.
Your opponent also has a useful tool at their disposal, Negative Time.
Once your opponent activates it...
...The tempo markers disappear from the screen, making it much harder to time button pushes correctly.
When that happens, you’ll have to rely on your ears and your natural instincts to correctly time your attacks.
Oh, by the way... if you chose the Kind action difficulty level, your opponent will never activate Negative Time.
If you find it too difficult to proceed, choosing "Chapter Select" from the main menu allows you to change the difficulty level.
(Just wait until they find out that doing that restarts the trial... Heh heh heh.)
...Ahem. The rest is up to you... Good luck.

Phase 12 (Raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Phase 12 (Sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

W...Wait just a loving minute!
She used a sword to escape?! How the gently caress did she get that sword back, then?

It would've been left behind in the shower room, you retard!

K...Kuzuryuu... Why are you...?

S...Shut up! Just answer the question! Let's see you try!
If she used her sword, it would’ve been left behind!

What's wrong with Kuzuryuu...? Why is he...?

PANIC TALK ATTACK START

Beat beat beat beat beat beat

If she used her sword as a springboard, how was it not left behind?!

(top) to
(left) bag
(right) the
(bottom) tied

Tied to the bag

LET'S END THIS!

Trial 16 (Raw) (Youtube via Polsy)
Trial 16 (Sub) (Youtube via Polsy)

She had a way to retrieve her shinai. She used her sword bag...

All she’d have had to do is tie the bag’s cord around the sword before using it to scale the wall...
Then, when she reached the top, she’d just have to pull it up...

...And it’d be like she was never there!

Keh...!

I see... she didn't just use her sword to escape, but also its bag...
Owari-san said she was just like a ninja, but that's such a cheap way of describing her technique...

It was a unique stunt possible only for Pekoyama-san, a Super High-school Level Swordswoman who’s never without her sword!

But still... It’s such a shame... If she’d only asked for my cooperation, we could probably have come up with a much better plan...

Gaaaah, keep it to yourself, will you?!

U...Um... is it true...? Did... Pekoyama-san really kill...?

W...Wait a second...! You're just making this all up!

Y...You don't have any proof! If there's no proof, I'll never accept it!
Do you get it, bastards?!!

...Enough.

Huh...?

Enough. To keep resisting would be in bad form.

Did she just... confess?

Did she just confess to being the culprit?

But... she did it so matter-of-factly. Is... Is that it?

Kuzuryuu just keeps trying to deny it for some reason, but the person accused just gives up so easily...?

Truly, the cherry blossom among flowers and the samurai among men... At the very least, I’ll not deny her gallantry.

Very well! This confession brings our proceedings to a close! Let us begin the vote!

Yes... Let's get it over with.

Ah, wait a second. There's something I want to ask first.

...Can't it wait until after the vote?

But it's important, and very relevant... I want to know about your motive, Pekoyama-san.

...Motive?

You don’t have anything to do with Twilight Syndrome Murder Mystery, do you?

So... why did you kill Koizumi-san?

Heh. Is that what this is about...? Very well. Here's what I have to say...

I have a noble cause... you see.

...What?

N...Noble cause?

It was all for the sake of... justice.

...Huh?

I do not dirty my hands over meaningless personal grudges...
I kill for one purpose, and one purpose only...

...For justice!

W...What... are you talking about...?

Justice is the glorious virtue that sets humanity apart... We all bask in its radiant light.
Justice is the everlasting sun... the immortal moon... our vigilant Father, our kindly Mother...

H...Hello...? Peko-chan...? Are you there?

Should justice disappear from this world...

All would be plunged into the cold darkness, joy and laughter gone forever...!

I... must never allow that to happen!

That's enough... stop it...!

The light of justice must endure, to guide us on our way!

I...I told you to stop!

That is why I fight! I fight for justice!

I...Is this...?!

The time has come to don this mask, imbued with the very essence of justice, and lay bare the ugly entrails of evil...

Jus ・ tice ・ Com ・ plete!

Piercing the very night itself with the shining light of justice’s brightest star!

Call me Kirakira-chan! (`⌒´)

Let's conduct some justice, shall we?! (`∀´)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

orenronen posted:

See? I told 'ya it was a ninja! A ninja could easily climb that wall!

Oh my God, this game really is aware of the thread. :allears:

Seems rather odd that Kuzuryuu was willing to side with Peko right up until the mask came on, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 2, 2013

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

The anime emotes at her reveal are pure class.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Go on. Laugh it up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You know, as much as I enjoyed the first entire game, I think this reveal right here would've been enough to get me to close the game and stay away for a long while. This is the dumbest thing.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
At the same time, while I'm annoyed by the fact that "pogo-stick shinai" was revealed (obviously, a total blind guess by people that had no prior knowledge of the game or the case) right after the body was discovered, I find myself impressed by how much better the trial sequences are written this time around.

I'm not sure that the idea of "Let's assume it was Peko, and see if that helps us figure out the big mystery of how she escaped from the store-room" would have occured to Naegi et al. That's somewhat counterbalanced by things like "I wouldn't kill Koizumi Onee-san, I couldn't, she needed to tie my obi. And I wouldn't want to anyway, because she taught me to tie my obi by myself.", but not entirely.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Well, I was right about the killer standing on something, then pulling it up with them but...

It was also pogo sword + ninja technique? Two of the most hated theories were correct.

I hope that doesn't go over too poorly. (it probably will)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Penakoto posted:

It was also pogo sword + ninja technique? Two of the most hated theories were correct. I hope that doesn't go over too poorly.

It was the thing that got spoilered way back before the trial started, so take that how you will.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The most interesting she's been the whole game so far and she's about to not be around for the rest of it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I hate every single one of you so much right now.

I do like the anime emotes though.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Either Peko's gone absolutely mental in the face of death or she really is Kirakira. Either way, it's been nice knowing her, I guess.

lambj3
Dec 29, 2012
I got poo poo for bringing up that ninja technique because SHE DOESN'T HAVE A NINJATO!!! and that's how she escaped. Sorry, but I'm smug as gently caress right now.

Also, it's pretty clear by the way Kuzuryuu is acting that he and Peko do have some sort of a connection. I'm pretty sure that's the real motive. I'm not buying her as Kirakira-chan, it seems too forced.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Seems rather odd that Kuzuryuu was willing to side with Peko right up until the mask came on, though.

It's almost like they wrote this game based on orenronen's DR1 thread. I love how the characters largely echo what has already been discussed here, including the comments about how Nidai keeps talking about the toilet :D

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Actually, what's the point of doing the Climax Interference now when she's already confessed? Or at least I assume we'll be doing one.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
To be fair, no one, TMK, actually thought that she would have tied her bag to the sword and pulled it up afterwards, but gently caress, that's what Akane's ninja statement was alluding to? I am really loving disappointed in myself...

But I'm also disappointed that "Peko and Kuzuryuu have a connection" is deeper than previously thought, but at least I'm pretty sure I won't have to poo poo a golden egg after reading that they're engaged or some nonsense like that we would have had no way of knowing.

And kind of even more disappointed that the game is now making a trend of "Trial 2 reveals a serial killer" in and of itself. Although it's kinda looking like maybe Kuzuryuu actually did it after all?

I don't wanna goon rage over this reveal. Nor goon-rage over the bullshit theories actually being right, albeit in a more realistic way than previously argued.

I want to goon rage because if Peko really did do it, and really is Kira-Kira, then I want loose my marbles over one loving thing: Why the gently caress would you name drop a serial killer, immediately reveal her, and then IMMEDIATELY KILL HER OFF???

BigDB
Mar 21, 2013
Kinda sad we are about to lose Peko after we just started her free time events, but thats just how it is I guess. I kinda doubt she is Kirakira though because if that is the only reason she killed Koizumi then thats just sad for Koizumi and a lame motive. Maybe it has something with Kuzuryuu and thats why he is so persistent on protecting Peko.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I'm glad the serial killer is being revealed when she's already doomed to die, so we don't have another crazy person running around.

lambj3
Dec 29, 2012

TKMobile posted:

I want to goon rage because if Peko really did do it, and really is Kira-Kira, then I want loose my marbles over one loving thing: Why the gently caress would you name drop a serial killer, immediately reveal her, and then IMMEDIATELY KILL HER OFF???

That's why I don't think she's really Kirakira. I'm not exactly sure why she's lying (though it probably has to do with Kuzuryuu), but it really doesn't make sense to introduce a serial killer and then kill them 5 minutes later. I think Peko decided to pretend being Kirakira after she heard Sonia talking about it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I find it rather interesting that the closest thing this game has to DR1's Togami just initiated a Panic Talk Attack sequence. :allears:

And holy hell, that reveal...

And I believe I echo some posters here if I say that I find that Kuzuryuu defending Pekoyama, after she got outed as the culprit, pretty strange (unless they know each other).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Justin_Brett posted:

Actually, what's the point of doing the Climax Interference now when she's already confessed? Or at least I assume we'll be doing one.

Rule of thumb? Besides, it's not entirely a bad idea for Hinata to review everything that happens and then make a definite statement that a person is or is not the killer.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

TKMobile posted:

To be fair, no one, TMK, actually thought that she would have tied her bag to the sword and pulled it up afterwards

I think I did say something about her using that to haul up stuff from the window, back when I proposed the "killer climbed up a box or chair theory", if I didn't I was definitely thinking it.

I really wanna go back about 50 pages and re read the speculation, just to see what exactly people proposed and how much vitriol some of the theories got.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 2, 2013

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
No.

No.

No.

There is no loving way such a stupid theory is the actual answer to this. She's a ninja. There is no way anyone logically called THAT being the answer without either reading ahead or being extremely stupid. God dammit, Dangan Ronpa, you are better than this.

I can't even enjoy the Kira-Kira persona, because this is just the dumbest thing.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Knowing this series, I wouldn't be surprised if Kuzuryuu's motive for staunchly defending Peko was solely because he was willing to die as long as it meant that everyone else died, except for the one who got justice for his sister. It'd be dumb, but not against expectations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

lambj3 posted:

I got poo poo for bringing up that ninja technique because SHE DOESN'T HAVE A NINJATO!!! and that's how she escaped. Sorry, but I'm smug as gently caress right now.

Congratulations on being a smug rear end in a top hat on the Internet. Truly something to be proud of.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I was hoping so hard that there would be a rope inside Peko's sword bag. That would have worked perfectly.

But no. She's tall, athletic and lightweight.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Wow, they made her nuttier than Syo. That's impressive. At least the latter seemed self-aware about her lunacy.

But, you know...

orenronen posted:

Peko Pekoyama ( 辺古山ペコ ) is played by Kotono Mitsuishi, one of the legendary voice actresses of the '90s. Among her better known roles are Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon (in, well, Sailor Moon) and Misato Katsuragi (in the Evangelion franchise), although my own personal favorite has always been Excel in Excel Saga. Trivia: Mitsuishi is one of two actors in this game that script writer Kodaka asked for specifically.

In retrospect, we should have seen this coming.

lambj3
Dec 29, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Congratulations on being a smug rear end in a top hat on the Internet. Truly something to be proud of.

Other people were smug when they thought it was a dumbass theory, so yeah I have every right to bask in it right now.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
gently caress this stupid game. Why are characters so afraid to be called the killer? If they get them and they're wrong then they're all dead anyway. It's not like it matters if I'm called the killer or if it's someone else. The result is the same.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Honestly, I agree that Peko is laying it on a little too thick and might not actually be Kirakira. If you remember, she was there every time Sonia was explaining Kirakira to us. Now, WHY she would be doing this, I'm not entirely sure, but it seems like she wants to fingered as the culprit. Does this mean is actually innocent, and is trying to kill everyone else? Maybe Kuzuryu is defending Peko so much because he's aware of her plan, and doesn't agree with it?

I'm not too sure yet how I think this is going to go down, but these are some ideas to toss around.

lambj3
Dec 29, 2012

legoman727 posted:

There is no loving way such a stupid theory is the actual answer to this. She's a ninja. There is no way anyone logically called THAT being the answer without either reading ahead or being extremely stupid. God dammit, Dangan Ronpa, you are better than this.

I thought it was logical tbh. It's not about her being a ninja, because she obviously isn't. She had the tool necessary to use that technique, I really don't understand what's so illogical about it.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
For me, personally, I just found the Kira-Kira reveal just hilarious. You have this whole big thing, reaction shots from EVERYONE, and then tada, she just put the dumb mask on. When I watched the raw video to do the subtitled video, I was literally laughing at loud at that, combined with the silly anime emotes in her dialogue. Sure, it may be dumb, but I hardly think they're just repeating the same thing from DR1. Especially since, chances are, Peko won't be around much longer.

Speaking of, if there's anything I miss or could do better during the subtitled trial videos, feel free to say so, and I'll fix it for the next update.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

lambj3 posted:

That's why I don't think she's really Kirakira. I'm not exactly sure why she's lying (though it probably has to do with Kuzuryuu), but it really doesn't make sense to introduce a serial killer and then kill them 5 minutes later. I think Peko decided to pretend being Kirakira after she heard Sonia talking about it.

Doubling down and going with this. (Because otherwise I'd be wrong and I just can't have that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystrich
Jun 26, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Remember, the credits for Twilight only showed people who appeared. Koizumi just showed up dead. Kuzuryuu may have "hired" Peko in the real world to kill Koizumi as justice for murdering his sister. If beating the game told this part of the story with his secret present (nothing says he didn't hide some of it), he'd seek Kira-kira again to complete her duty of justice - a murderer must be murdered. Kuzuryuu is fine with dying if it means that someone who upholds justice will go free and continue to avenge people who are wrongly murdered.

• Locked thread