Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Slime posted:

She got the CHARACTERS to listen to her, which doesn't actually mean much. I'm pretty sure no players were fooled by her. I know I at least instantly suspected her in that case.
Celes disappointed me a lot, because a SHSL Gambler is exactly the type of person who could have meant all the bullshit she was shouting. A lot of game theory at this level has to do with cooperation, and the risks of trying to perform murder was absurd. She should have been perfectly gifted to realize that the safest move was to not attempt a murder.

W.T. Fits posted:

In a way, I see Nagito filling the same role Togami had last game; he's the guy that wants to play Monobear's game, and doesn't really care what the other students want. The only real difference between the two is their motivations. Togami wanted to win because that's what was expected of a SHSL Heir and because he had bit of a competitive streak. Nagito wants to win because of his bizarre Hope fetish.
This is actually the part I find most endearing about Nagito. He's goddamn cracked and insane, but his ultimate goal seems to be defeating Monobear. He's on "our side," even if he goes about it in the most hosed manner possible.

Basically, he's far more interesting if he's an ally/villain/vigilante character than just a villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He also said at the beginning of Chapter 4 that there would be no more murders, which is true in the canon ending.

Sakura committed suicide, Alter Ego seemed to still be alive at the end of Chapter 5, and Junko also committed suicide.

Is Alter Ego still alive? It's been awhile since I read the original games' LP, but I remember getting the impression that Alter Ego showing up wasn't a sign that he was still 'alive', just the he had done something preemptively to save Naegi.

Though, thinking about it now, it doesn't really make sense, because why would Alter Ego let Kirigiri die?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Penakoto posted:

Is Alter Ego still alive? It's been awhile since I read the original games' LP, but I remember getting the impression that Alter Ego showing up wasn't a sign that he was still 'alive', just the he had done something preemptively to save Naegi.

Though, thinking about it now, it doesn't really make sense, because why would Alter Ego let Kirigiri die?

1. Alter Ego seems to be alive given that he was shown in the crusher machine and said machine paused rather randomly during Chapter 6's execution, as though he was still in control of it. Then again, they do say it was a virus, so I dunno. It seemed like it was the real Alter Ego, unless Alter Ego made a virus that looked exactly like himself. I guess it doesn't really matter since they left him behind at the school. :v:

2. That was a hypothetical scenario in Naegi's mind, and he didn't know Alter Ego was still around. Alternatively, Naegi's luck was what allowed Alter Ego to succeed in his version of the execution.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Aww balls, I'd stopped actively following this thread after Togami died back in Chapter one and I figured with 9000 posts and months past since then the game must be close to wrapping up and I'd better get caught up. A week later and welp... :shepicide:

At least now I can epress my amusement at just how mad Akane's nonchalance made Souda back in trial one, and how Ibuki is just the best character - may she never die and continue to make silly faces and point at things :allears:

Last trial was a lot of fun, even with the solution being something the thread had speculated, guessed and decided wouldn't be satisfying previously, they pulled off the plot twist much more satisfyingly than I would have thought and the post-vote end of the trial had an amazing sense of dread as Peko revealed her gambit. They even managed to give Kuzuryuu some development, and make Koizumi's death even more tragic. It would have been nice if we'd have managed to spend at least one free time with her before she died, but I guess we'll see them eventually.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Twiddy posted:

Celes disappointed me a lot, because a SHSL Gambler is exactly the type of person who could have meant all the bullshit she was shouting. A lot of game theory at this level has to do with cooperation, and the risks of trying to perform murder was absurd. She should have been perfectly gifted to realize that the safest move was to not attempt a murder.
I don't know, I think I liked how Celes miscalculated her bets and even that her motive was just "I want money to play vampire queen" because it does reflect that she's a 16-17 year old girl, gambling skills or not. Everything about her was a lie: her free time events had her saying these amazing things she did that were obviously fake, her name isn't real and even her giant hair is just extensions. She wasn't really a gambler in the traditional sense, but more in the risks she was willing to take and how often she'd get away with it. If it weren't for people like Kirigiri in the group she would have probably gotten away with chapter 3's murder as well, given how quick the peanut gallery (Asahina that is) was willing to point the finger at Hagakure.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

1. Alter Ego seems to be alive given that he was shown in the crusher machine and said machine paused rather randomly during Chapter 6's execution, as though he was still in control of it. Then again, they do say it was a virus, so I dunno. It seemed like it was the real Alter Ego, unless Alter Ego made a virus that looked exactly like himself. I guess it doesn't really matter since they left him behind at the school. :v:

2. That was a hypothetical scenario in Naegi's mind, and he didn't know Alter Ego was still around. Alternatively, Naegi's luck was what allowed Alter Ego to succeed in his version of the execution.

The latter half of 2 is what is probably true, I replayed that part in the translated game I have earlier today and they explicitly point out that Alter Ego was there during Naegi's execution. Alter Ego planted a virus into the network before Monobear smashed it with a bulldozer, and when Naegi's execution rolled around it put a stop to it. The fact that it didn't show up during Kirigiri's is due to Naegi's luck factor.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

curiousTerminal posted:

The fact that it didn't show up during Kirigiri's is due to Naegi's luck factor.

Or it could just be that Naegi was tripping the gently caress out because he thought about what would happen if he threw her under the bus and spaced out long enough for Monobear to call time and have the other students vote him instead. The thing one could attribute to his luck aside from him not dying is that he somehow guessed what the execution was going to be.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

So, Alter Ego is probably alive then.

Ok, that's what I wanted clarification on. I liked Chihiro and Alter Ego a lot, so I'm happy one of them survived in some way, stuck in the school aside.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Nah, even if Alter Ego was still alive for the Ch. 5 execution, and that wasn't a bug, Monobear would've then known that he actually managed to get into the system, and almost certainly purged him after the trial.

Sorry to be a downer like that.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

No, he snuck out by hijacking one of the disabled monobears, I refuse to give in to despair when I've just found hope!

:smith:

(PS This is a joke and if it's actually revealed that Alter Ego escaped via hijacked Monobear, I'm not a witch so don't start a hunt.)

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 3, 2013

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Penakoto posted:

No, he snuck out by hijacking one of the disabled monobears, I refuse to give in to despair when I've just found hope!

:smith:

(PS This is a joke and if it's actually revealed that Alter Ego escaped via hijacked Monobear, I'm not a witch so don't start a hunt.)

Heh, it would be hilarious if the Monobear that got up at the end of DR1 was Alter Ego gone crazy (or Junko used Alter Ego's code and made Monobear an AI).

I don't like thinking that somebody else is gonna die. I kind of like most of the characters left, and the ones I don't are most probably not going to die. Still holding out hope that my favorites live for at least one more trial.

KynElwynn
Jul 24, 2013

Bobulus posted:

I think one way the SHSL Mechanic could be used in a crime would be to set up some sort of murder Rube Goldberg machine, so he would have an alibi when the murder occurred.

Or for someone to frame him using one, if course.

Like Sonia maybe? :razz:

thrips
Apr 27, 2013

KynElwynn posted:

Like Sonia maybe? :razz:

I hope not, that would be like Celes and Yamada all over again...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

thrips posted:

I hope not, that would be like Celes and Yamada all over again...

Yamada wasn't overly loyal to Celes so much as he wanted Alter Ego, and he was dead at the time of the trial.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Anatharon posted:

Yamada wasn't overly loyal to Celes so much as he wanted Alter Ego, and he was dead at the time of the trial.

He was a fat weeaboo who would do anything for his porcelain skinned waifu. That much was established prior to the case.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Zeruel posted:

He was a fat weeaboo who would do anything for his porcelain skinned waifu. That much was established prior to the case.
Is he really a weeaboo if he's actually Japanese? I think a better descriptor would be Otaku.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I would put money on sonia/souda being our next trials focus in some way. Trial 1 and 2 carried some very similar themes in both games, and that whole sonia/souda connection is pretty similar to celes and yamada, only Sonia isn't awful to Souda

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Not entirely. Yamada told Asahina Celes's name (unfortunately her real one) as he was dying when asked who the culprit was.

Celes also made up a lie about Ishimaru assaulting her to get him to go along with the murder, so it's left fairly vague as to how far he'd have gone if Celes just told the truth.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 18, 2014

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Yamada was totally a Redditor. He had an upvote arrow on his tie.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rhinoceraptor posted:

Yamada was totally a Redditor. He had an upvote arrow on his tie.
And a downvote arrow inside of the upvote arrow.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rawkking posted:

Not entirely. Yamada told Asahina Celes's name (unfortunately her real one) as he was dying when asked who the culprit was.

Celes also made up a lie about Ishimaru assaulting her to get him to go along with the murder, so it's left fairly vague as to how far he'd have gone if Celes just told the truth.

To be fair, he seemed perfectly content with killing everyone just to get his hands on Alter Ego again. Celes even says it seems like he wanted to be tricked.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
The third island theme is pretty great. Were there themes for the other islands? I can't remember.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
When was the last time we had a status update on that little virtual pet? It better not be dead again.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

tomanton posted:

When was the last time we had a status update on that little virtual pet? It better not be dead again.

I'm keeping it alive, as promised, which simply involves occasionally cleaning up after it and giving it gifts for extra Hope, so there's nothing much to show - I'll let you know once something interesting happens there.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

orenronen posted:

I'm keeping it alive, as promised, which simply involves occasionally cleaning up after it and giving it gifts for extra Hope, so there's nothing much to show - I'll let you know once something interesting happens there.

Can it change its status whenever you're not playing it or does it only change whenever you play the game?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

A Bystander posted:

Can it change its status whenever you're not playing it or does it only change whenever you play the game?

It's based on in-game steps, so only when playing the game. This also means that if you use quick-travel using the map your pet rabbit's development is going to be much slower.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Third Island Theme

Here we are on Island 3. Random tumbleweeds come rolling around from time to time. This time, we're doing the loop going right.

First stop!

It’s a hospital reception, but...

This place feels like something out of a horror movie... I really wouldn't want to be hospitalized here...

...Hinata-saaaaan!
Whoa!

Ah, I frightened you... I'm sorry...
But don’t worry! You’d be fine even if you got so frightened you had a heart attack! This is a hospital!
I think if I had a heart attack, I’d worry no matter where I was...

There’s something... strange... about this hospital...
There aren't any doctors or nurses or patients around. There's no one here at all...
Yeah, so it seems...

poo poo... So this island's deserted too. What the hell's going on here?

Ah, but the medical equipment's all here. I have to check it to see if it's usable, though...

Hawawa... You're about to tell me to go check it out right now, right?!
O...Okay...! I'll be done in no time so don't worry about me!

Tsumiki ran off excitedly but awkwardly into a dark corridor.

She said I shouldn't worry, but I'm not so sure...

There's someone else here.

Hmhmhm... Who would have thought my past would return to haunt me in a place such as this...
And yet... It looks just like the place I had the "mark of demon-quelling" carved into my body...
The... mark of what?

...I have said too much. You would do well to... put it out of your mind.

So, he brings it up unprovoked, and then tells me to forget about it. Okay.

There's a sheet of paper stuck to the notice board. It looks like an announcement from the hospital...

But... there's no one on this island. So who's this notice for?

There’s a notice here, but it’s not interesting, so you didn’t read it.

Beyond this door... I'll probably find the patient and examination rooms. I should leave them to Tsumiki, though.

Hinata refuses to go further into the hospital right now, so all we can do is continue our island exploration.

Ah, the place on everyone's minds.

A run-down building covered in garish neon lights. It’s... pretty shady-looking.

There's not much outside we can look at (the usual camera and monitor excepted), so let's head straight in.

I can't be sure there's nothing dangerous inside... I’d better be careful.

Yaaaaaaahoooooooo!!
Whoa!!
Yaaaaaaaaaaahooooooooooo!!
Why the hell are you yelling?! You almost gave me a heart attack!

The overwhelming reality is that Ibuki can't help yelling right now!

This here's a music club, after all!
Yeah... so it seems.

We have a music club! Who wouldn't get excited?!
We have a music club! Who wouldn't get excited?!

Huh? Did Ibuki say that twice?
Huh? Did Ibuki say that twice?
Are you sure you're alright? I think all the excitement's getting to you.

Ibuki's totally fine!
Ibuki's totally fine!

Twice again?!
Twice again?!

...That’s a “no” then.

Now that we have a music club, it's time for Ibuki to pitch in!

And on that note, let’s get the good times rolling!

Yaaaahoooooooo!! Ibuki's going to show you what fun really is!
Like, y’know that feeling when you’ve been out all night enjoying your precious youth and you walk victoriously past the masses on their way to another boring workday?!

I... have no idea.

...Well, if you're so excited about this place, you should be the one investigating it.

Ibuki can't wait to sink her teeth into it! ...Care for another bite?

...I'm too tired for this. I should just go explore somewhere else.

This is incredible, Hinata-san! This is one of those famous discotheques!
...What?

You know, a place where hip youngsters don bodycon dresses and feathered folding-fans and dance the go-go and the lambada!

...What?

As opposed to the hospital, Hinata is willing to explore the club even though he just told Ibuki to do it.

There's a stage here...

I was never really much of a performer, though.

Some kind of a control panel...

Looks like it’s for controlling the lights.

The signs on the door say "staff only". This is probably some sort of a storage area...

I should probably look inside.

Drums, guitars, and other instruments line the walls.
There’s also lights, curtains, rolls of wallpaper... even cans of paint.

...Nothing of much use to us, though.

Nothing may be of much use, but there are quite a few things to look at in this room.

There are all sorts of musical instruments here...

I've seen guitars and drums before, of course, but most of this other stuff is new to me...

Carpets and wallpaper sheets... There are even cans of paint.

I guess these things are essential for setting up the stage.

There's a pile of stickers here. The club's logo printed on them.

Looks like they printed way too many... There's something melancholic about it.

A standing mirror large enough to reflect my entire body. Artists probably use it to check their wardrobe.

Yeah, a mirror this big is a necessity in a place like this.

There are two stepladders leaning on the wall.

They probably come in handy for setting up the stage... and maybe for recording shows on film.

...And that's it. On with the island!

It's a cheap hotel with a parking lot attached...
This kind of place is what they call a "motel" in America, right?

I've seen them in movies but this is the first time I’ve seen one in real life.

Wow, this sure is a shabby hotel! It's filthy here!
This must be just like big bro Hinata's house!
...I'm pretty sure you've never been to my house.

Oh, you were here! Your presence is so weak I didn't even notice!

Still, it really is filthy here, isn't it? A perfect place to house some cheap labor.
...That's going a little too far.

But we have to search this place, right? There might be a clue inside!
If you think so, why are you standing here? Go and look inside.

Someone as uneducated as you probably doesn't know it, but there's a saying that goes "fools rush in where angels fear to tread".
...What of it?

I asked big sis Owari to check it out. She hardly even needed persuading!
She’s really coming in handy, isn’t she? That kind of an idiot is pretty rare - I have to take good care of her.

I...I'm not sure why, but somehow it's fascinating to see just how manipulative she can be...

Can we look inside?

All the rooms look the same... They're probably the same inside too.

I bet they’re all dark and damp... just like you see in American crime movies...

...I think I'll stick to my cottage.

Nope.

There's also a car here.

A rusty, crumbling car has been left in the parking lot. It doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon.

Next location!

...Which we'll explore next time.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 5, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, Sonia's just awesome with her dated references and everything. Aside from that though, that last shot of all the carpets and musical instruments makes me think that maybe Ibuki would end up killing someone, which is a terrible prospect to entertain, I'm sure you'd all agree. Either that, or the whole Americana/Tarantino (that Titty Typhoon reference can't be a coincidence) thing will end up playing a major role in the murder/murderer's themes. That said, I can't see anyone here going all Reservoir Dogs or Kill Bill on the other students. Kuzuryuu maybe?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

There's too much stuff in that closet for some of it to not play into whatever the next murder is.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I admit, I was kind of expecting Souda would have been checking out the club and was pleasantly surprised he wasn't.

Tsumiki mentioned that the hospital still had all its medical equipment; bets on whether or not that's where we'll find Kuzuryuu recuperating?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
..Huh.

I am starting to wonder if anybody in the class knows enough English to comprehend what kind of club this is.... and while I don't want to nitpick too much... C'mon, Game! Start messing with expectations. The Titty Typhoon is all but advertising a slew of evidence hiding essentials with that store room and I wish it didn't. Hopefully this isn't going to end up being three for three; we need a murder that DOESN'T involve a glorified supply closet conveniently nearby helping out the future murderer.

Motel's obviously patterned off the Bates' place from Psycho, though the roof's a bit different... Though while I should be worried that Saionji seems to be manipulating Owari, at least someone had the sense to keep her away from charging down one of the remaining death robots lurking around the islands.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Rolls of carpet are almost as good as tarps for body moving. And I can't help but notice that gurney in the hospital, but I doubt that's going to come into play because it didn't have a hot-spot.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Next murder weapon will be a string of increasingly larger, painted "Justice Guitars." Calling it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I wonder why the islands gave us a pharmacy full of medicines and a hospital, but put them on different islands? My mind is filled with ways that could be used to set up a crime scene...

TKMobile posted:

Motel's obviously patterned off the Bates' place from Psycho, though the roof's a bit different...

I had the same thought, but it's missing the iconic Creepy Old House and 'Bates Motel' sign, so it might just be a coincidence. On the other hand, I wouldn't put it past Monobear to fill an island full of horror movie locations as the next means of tempting the cast, though. Is that hospital specific to a horror movie I haven't seen? Anyone?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 5, 2013

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
That comment about the stickers looking somehow melancholic was so Phoenix Wright, and then there was no stepladder joke.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

eating only apples posted:

That comment about the stickers looking somehow melancholic was so Phoenix Wright, and then there was no stepladder joke.

Believe me, I was tempted.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh boy, a dark alleyway! Nothing bad can happen there!

This might sound tinfoil, I know, but it's strange that the when walking around the island, some of the buildings in the distant background appear to be translucent green and glowing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

orenronen posted:

This is incredible, Hinata-san! This is one of those famous discotheques!
...What?
You know, a place where hip youngsters don bodycon dresses and feathered folding-fans and dance the go-go and the lambada!

...What?

I actually laughed out loud at this. Sonia is so behind the times. :allears:

Rather interesting that we got hangouts for Ibuki and Mikan this time around.

orenronen posted:

I...I'm not sure why, but somehow it's fascinating to see just how manipulative she can be...

And I suppose we finally have a reason why no one calls Saionji out on being such a jerk: they want to see how far she goes with it. :v:

likecnsnnts posted:

Next murder weapon will be a string of increasingly larger, painted "Justice Guitars." Calling it.

I know you're joking, but they seem to have done the justice themed weapon reference in the last case.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Bobulus posted:

I had the same thought, but it's missing the iconic Creepy Old House and 'Bates Motel' sign, so it might just be a coincidence. On the other hand, I wouldn't put it past Monobear to fill an island full of horror movie locations as the next means of tempting the cast, though. Is that hospital specific to a horror movie I haven't seen? Anyone?

Well, the music club is a reference to From Dusk Til Dawn according to the thread, we have the motel rockin the Hitchcock movie, and I imagine the hospital could be from ANY creepy movie set, or even Silent Hill for that matter; it certainly looks kinda off, a little disturbing. Aside from that scene in Scream 1, though, I can't place what horror movie has a CD/video/etc. store as a set location... but so far, it's certainly lending to the idea the place is crawling with Horror movie references.

• Locked thread