Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Alien Arcana posted:

If he gets murdered, will that make him knee-dead?

Wouldn't that make him dough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Alien Arcana posted:

Only if he gets his legs hacked off from the knee.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Alien Arcana posted:

No, he'd be...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

This thread really produces some magical things. :allears:

Hopefully the next murder is upcoming, though. The motive is here, so it shouldn't take too much longer, but it has been a bit since the last trial.

pidgeon
May 18, 2011

:tinsley:
So it's two syllables and three morae?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

pidgeon posted:

So it's two syllables and three morae?

Intriguingly morae.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

A jargogle posted:

Wouldn't that make him dough?
Monobear's Beefcake Surprise: Nidai bread with Mondo butter.

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009

Apollove posted:

What cmon they wouldn't do that twice.

It isn't unlike this game to repeat jokes (if you could call Monobear taking students away in ambulances a joke).

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

youcallthatatwist posted:

Monobear's Beefcake Surprise: Nidai bread with Mondo butter.

Hey, we already have Naegi pancakes ! They also come in Kirigiri flavor :colbert:

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Suspicious Dish posted:

Intriguingly morae.

It's almost as if that horrible post justified its existence just now. Almost.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Geemer posted:

No, he'd be...

Nidai coaching a demonic invasion would likely lead to the end of all things.

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013
As fun as the Nidai derail has been, I think that since the next update is likely to include our long awaited murder, I'll post my speculation while I still have time.

ThirdEmperor posted:

I don't usually make bets on how the murder is going to happen, as the game's proven itself charmingly unpredictable, but here's my bet:

The murderer is not among the people who stayed at the hospital.

One of the non-quarantined people somehow set up the death before leaving. Probably some sort of poison. Logic points to Saionji then, who suggested the split in the first place. It would, after all, make on hell of an alibi.

My prediction is actually the other way around: The hinting that Mikan might possibly have attachment issues, coupled with her being the only one in the hospital in sufficient condition to pull off a murder, makes me think that she'll try to use it as her alibi for commiting a murder outside the hospital.
Which makes Saionji her most likely vic if I'm right. Given that Saionji is slowly bringing herself to be a bit less caustic, to everyone except Mikan, that is, this would be the perfect time for the writers to write her off. (Please forgive that terrible joke.)

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

LukanFox posted:

Which makes Saionji her most likely vic if I'm right. Given that Saionji is slowly bringing herself to be a bit less caustic, to everyone except Mikan, that is, this would be the perfect time for the writers to write her off. (Please forgive that terrible joke.)

Okay, I'll bite. Mikan is the only character who can enter and leave the hospital during the night because of MB's latest rules enforcement. But if she goes to the motel for some killing, wouldn't that cause a huge stir since everyone there is trying to not get infected and the person who's had more contact with the fever victims than anybody else is suddenly paying them a visit? She's not the stealthiest person in the world if her clumsiness isn't a cover.

So Mikan probably can't get into the motel to kill Saionji. HOWEVER... it's still possible Mikan could kill somebody; presumably she isn't going to kill Hinata even though his door's unlocked, but given that somebody from the motel is going to go to the music club and check in every so often, I'm still betting the club, not the hospital, is where the next student's getting whacked. Mikan could totally murder Saionji there if she were the one checking in, but that's a possible stretch; the game hasn't told us that anybody but Souda's making rounds. We'll have to wait and see what their set up was before we can pin anything on anybody.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I would say maybe Saionji comes to the hospital and kills someone, and Mikan goes apeshit and then kills Saionji immediately? We'd get a double murder that could look like Mikan killed both, when one of the culprits was actually the dead Saionji. The problem with this is obviously I doubt Saionji would murder anyone, unless she gets afflicted by despairitis - turning from a mean person with a heart of gold to a nice person with a cruel heart? Still not really buying that, but I just think that the idea of the murderer being killed before everyone knows they're the murderer, thus framing the new killer for both is kind of neat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I also seriously doubt Saionji would ever murder someone. She's all bark and no bite, which is exactly what makes her an ideal victim.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Even despite the weird fanservice scene, Mikan didn't set off my inherent annoyance of her due to her aggravatingly low self-esteem.

And Hinata even remarked on her calling for something with more confidence than he ever remembered.

So yeah, I'm suspicious that she has the opposite fever now and is actually confident, yet is trying to play it down/hide it.

I also can't for the life of me figure out how Nagito randomly gets deathly ill without someone poisoning/drugging him, and I can't see anyone but Mikan being in a position to do so. I doubt he'll be the person who actually ends up dying, though. Maybe Mikan was trying to figure out a dose to render someone helpless but not actually kill them so that they can be finished off with a conventional blow to the head or something? Someone actually dying due to medical drugs would point heavily to her, after all.

Another question: Are the quarantined students actually locked in the hospital or is this quarantine strictly based on the honor system? It seems to be honor system as Hinata and Kurzuyuu were able to just leave, but maybe Monobear let them out.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Rawkking posted:

Another question: Are the quarantined students actually locked in the hospital or is this quarantine strictly based on the honor system? It seems to be honor system as Hinata and Kurzuyuu were able to just leave, but maybe Monobear let them out.

No, it's definitely the honor system. Also note that the motel group has no idea that Hinata and Kuzuryuu had to leave quarantine. This may cause problems if someone from outside needs to report back to the first island for supplies/whatever.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If Mikan has the opposite-day fever and it's making her confident, she might not actually want to cure it. Which creates kind of a conflict of interest, since that's, y'know, her job.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Alien Arcana posted:

No he'll have Ni-Died

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
He'd be Necromaru Nidai.

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.
Can we not do this again? I was liking the speculation.
I personally think both Kuzuryuu and Mikan have the despair fever, and probably Nidai too wherever he is.
As for the murder/ee, I agree with what was posited here before that if Mikan has the fever, she would totally murder someone, probably Saionji.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Oliver Crowley posted:

Can we not do this again? I was liking the speculation.
I personally think both Kuzuryuu and Mikan have the despair fever, and probably Nidai too wherever he is.
As for the murder/ee, I agree with what was posited here before that if Mikan has the fever, she would totally murder someone, probably Saionji.

Kuzuryuu, I'm not so sure about. His character has been for the most part consistent up to this point in being more self-depreciating and willing to help the team. He started acting this way after Peko's death, but this was before anybody started noticing any really weird poo poo going on. Or at least, weird, inconsistent poo poo-- Saionji build that monument to Mahiru which wa sin keeping with her development, and Ibuki's concert was Ibuki at her Ibukiest.

If he was doused with Despair Fever the moment Monobear took him to the hospital, the current invalids, especially Akane would have already been acting differently. Seriously, if Akane'd been infected so early she wouldn't have had the gall to challenge Monobear.

Nidai was barely alive before he went M.I.A. Even if he is infected, him being on life support and not present at all would make it hard to notice.

dang nasty
Jan 8, 2014

by Ralp

legendsuper posted:

Hey, we already have Naegi pancakes ! They also come in Kirigiri flavor :colbert:

yum

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It seems like the rate of updates has been slowing down a bit in the new year. :ohdear: It does seem like there's been a bunch of negativity from us readers around the Despair Fever plotline, but at the very least, Oren/Fedule, I'm sure there's still a lot of people (myself included) who are reading along quietly and enjoying. Hope everything's going all right!

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Podima posted:

It seems like the rate of updates has been slowing down a bit in the new year. :ohdear: It does seem like there's been a bunch of negativity from us readers around the Despair Fever plotline, but at the very least, Oren/Fedule, I'm sure there's still a lot of people (myself included) who are reading along quietly and enjoying. Hope everything's going all right!

This latest delay is just due to post-vacation procrastination (I just came back from my two month trip to Japan). The update's almost ready, though - look for it very soon.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Don't worry Oren (and Fedule), take your time. It's ready when it's ready.

All the crappy posts that start happening only if you haven't updated for a while gets a bit annoying, though. But that's not your fault, of course.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Don't worry Oren (and Fedule), take your time. It's ready when it's ready.

All the crappy posts that start happening only if you haven't updated for a while gets a bit annoying, though. But that's not your fault, of course.

That could be a good case for locking the thread until the next update is ready if there's a long delay and the posting gets too insipid.

I'll be looking forward to the next update when it arrives. It's about time for the next murder, and a corpse in the morning would give the thread something new to speculate about.

Batu
Nov 10, 2009
This thread is the best when it's locked after every update. No irony.

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.
The fact you guys are doing this is brilliant so no pressure from us to rush out updates.

Batu posted:

This thread is the best when it's locked after every update. No irony.

I do think that the thread should be heavily moderated, but not locked right after the update. Some conversation about what just happened is good when it's fresh, but it should be locked when people start going off on pun sprees, baseless speculation, or the information starts to get rediscussed.

Not to mention people like the fan art and translation notes.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

* ding dong ding dong *

Um, This is an announcement from Hope's Peak Academy's Field Trip Executive Committee...
Good morning, you bastards! It’s another perfect tropical day!
Let's enjoy it for all it’s worth!

I’d better get to the hospital, fast... I’m worried about Tsumiki and the others...

Re: Beautiful Morning

I was still half asleep as I ran to the hospital.

Early start today, huh?
...You were here before me.

Well, I just got here myself.
So, what should we do? We’ve still got some time before we have to call the others...
Maybe we should check on Komaeda?
Yeah... I'm still worried about his condition.

To be honest, I’m not sure why I should care what happens to him...

...But it’s probably still best to check.

Let's make our rounds before going to see how Komaeda's doing.

Good morning, Sir! It is a great honor to have you visit again!
Um... Thanks...?

Ordinarily, I would express my gratitude with a song, but...
...Unfortunately, we’re in a hospital! It wouldn’t do to make too much noise!

Therefore, I shall postpone my thank you song until I am discharged, sir!

Mioda refusing to sing... This sure is messed up.

Waaaaaah... I couldn't sleep because the hospital is scary...
Sob... How much longer do I have to stay here...?
Well, um...

Is there even a way to cure this fever? Knowing Monobear, we can’t take that for granted...

Music fades out

Re: All All Apologies

...Tsumiki. How's Komaeda doing?

He isn’t recovering... I think... I think he may actually be getting worse...

Seriously...?!

His pulse is getting weaker... At this rate, there’s a chance he could go below the critical point...
Is it really that bad...?

But as long as I'm his nurse, I will never let Komaeda-san die....

...Never!
I get how you're feeling, but... don’t work yourself too hard, okay?

Hey, Hinata. It's almost time for the call. We should get back to the lobby...
Yeah...

As we left Komaeda's room, I reflected on my own lack of power.

Beautiful Ruin

...The communication light is blinking.

Seems like they're already waiting. Let's get this started.
Yeah.

I pushed the button under the blinking light, and the screen flickered to life.

Looks like this thing’s still working..

And on the other end was--

Hello?! This thing on? Can you see my beautiful face?
We see you, Souda.

Good! ‘Cause we can see your poor faces too!

I guess we should let them know about Komaeda.

So... is it just you over there?

Nope... We're all here, except for Saionji-san.
What happened to her?

Hmhmhm... The petulant one has named us all her foes.

She has... She shut herself in her room the moment we arrived here.
She refuses to speak to anyone... She says she won’t come out until the despair disease is dealt with.

So.. she won’t even meet with the motel group...?

Sounds like they’ve got some problems of their own...

So, how are things over there?
Well, about that...
It’s Komaeda. Something’s wrong with him...

No kidding! We all knew that already!
That's not what we mean... He... He might actually be about to die.

T...Truly?

But... he will be alright, won’t he? You can save him, can't you?

That's no joke... if we lose Komaeda so soon after Nidai...!
We... can’t really say anything for sure yet.

That weally does sound tewwible!
Monomi?! Why are you with them?!

Um... I don't know much about the fever, so I thought it would be dangewous to go to the hospital...
Oh, just shut the gently caress up, will you?!
You're a loving stuffed doll! What do you have to worry about a fever for?!

Y...You mustn't discwiminate!

That despair fever is one scawy disease... If we’re not vewy cautious, the entire island could...!
So... until we figure out how to deal with it, I'm going to stay wight here and...

* click *

Before I could react, Kuzuryuu pushed the button and hung up the call.

That loving rabbit! I wanna loving kill her!!

Argh!! I'm... gonna head outside for a bit. I need to cool off...

Kuzuryuu stomped out of the hospital.

Anyway... I guess there’s nothing to do now but wait.

Wait for something to change... for something to get better.

Music fades out

And so I waited.

It wasn’t like there was anything else to do.

There’s nowhere in a hospital you can really relax... only wait.

I ended up spending the day pacing around the lobby.
Kuzuryuu just kept on going in and out of the hospital.

Eventually... finally...

* ding dong ding dong *

Um, This is an announcement from Hope's Peak Academy's Field Trip Executive Committee...
It is now 10pm.
Please rest peacefully, along with the soothing sound of the waves.
Well then, pleasant dreams. Goodnight...

Re: Despair-Syndrome

Time flies when you're busy, huh...?
It's time for our call...

And when it's over we'll have to go back to the hotel. That's such a pain, going back and forth.
Before we go, we should check on Komaeda one more time...
You go do that, then. I'll handle the call over here.

It’s not like we have anything to report... It’ll be done pretty quick.
Yeah... I guess.

Technical note: There's a bug in the game that prevents hiding the dialogue boxes during the next section. I tried to use screenshots from previous updates whenever I could, but sometimes there weren't any.

Whoa! Mioda?!
W...What are you doing in the corridor? You have to rest, you know...
If I may be honest, sir, I have grown tired of resting all day.
Furthermore, simply resting makes me nothing but a burden, so I thought I’d come out and see if there was anything I could help with.
But I suppose that resting is the appropriate thing to do, as you suggest!
Yeah... you should go rest... we want you back to full health as soon as possible...
Yessir!

That was... creepy.

...I think we should check whether she's really back in her room.

Do not worry, sir! I shall rest properly, as instructed!

While we're at it, let's check on Owari as well.

Sob... sob... It's night again...
I'm scared of the dark... A monster's going to come and eat me...
Waaaaaaaah!

If she was her normal self, she'd just hit any monster that tried to eat her...

Or at least, that’s what she’d say she’d do.

Tsumiki was concentrating on Komaeda, and didn't even notice me entering the room...

...Has she been here tending to him all this time?

Hey, Tsumiki...
...Tsumiki?

She didn’t even respond...

She just kept tending to Komaeda, her back turned to me.
I moved forward, trying to peek at her face.

Hey, Tsumiki... Are you alright?

HYAAAAAAAAAAA!
...I see you finally noticed me.

Fuyuu! Please don't scare me like that! I almost got myself wet!

Uh...

Um... are you here to visit Komaeda-san?
I just came here to see how he was doing, but... are you sure you're not too tired?
Maybe you should take a rest too.

Um... Are you, perhaps... Well, it'd be embarrassing if I got it wrong, but...
A...Are you... worried about me?
Yeah, sure, I guess...

Fuyuu... Thank you very much! I will never forget this moment! I’ll remember it as long as I live!

Heh heh heh... I'm all better now, so please let me get back to Komaeda-san.

Did she even listen to what I was trying to say?

Well... I guess she’s really giving this her all.

Maybe I should just get out of her way.

...So, how's Komaeda?
Actually, I'm more worried about Tsumiki. I don't think she got any rest at all...

She must think Komaeda's condition requires constant attention...
So, how did things go over here? Is the call finished already?
Yeah. No one had anything to report, so we got it done in no time.
It seems they're looking for ways to cure the fever, but there are no new developments on that front yet.
So, no one got anything done today... Great.

...Not much we can do about it. Let's hope something happens tomorrow.

We walked back to the hotel, the mood even darker than yesterday’s.

Sigh...

With everything that’s going on... one sigh just doesn’t seem to cover it all.

The more I think about the situation, the deeper my worries get...

Anyway... I should get to bed. Maybe I just need to sleep...
Besides... I have to go straight to the hospital first thing tomorrow morning.

Having so reassured myself, I sighed deeply once more, and then...

...slowly closed my eyelids.

A certain scene floated dimly into my mind, unbidden.

It came slowly, from somewhere deep within my subconsciousness...
...Like a watercolor painting, slowly filling in...

Slowly... and dimly...

Re: Welcome Despair Academy

It's... a classroom.

I remember this classroom.

But... I'm not sure where it is.

I can hear voices.

Someone is talking...

"Did you hear? He’s actually going to Hope's Peak Academy! Can you believe it?"
"Is he really that much of a genius, though?"

...But it’s just noise... Unimportant.

I don’t listen.

I just stare vacantly out the window.

I don’t want to hear them.

But they keep talking.

"What? You didn’t know?"
"Um... Know what?"
"Hope's Peak Academy aren’t just looking for geniuses..."
"But... isn’t it supposed to be, like, a super-exclusive school for special kids?"

I want to block my ears.

I want to run away.

I want to go to a place where I belong.

That place isn't here.

It's a place... where I, too, could stand proud.

"Really? You can do that? So, then, is he..."
"What else could it be?"
"I mean, it's not like he has the kind of talent Hope’s Peak are looking for...
He's...
...Just a normal guy, like everyone else."
"Well, he's free to revere whatever he wants, but it must be hard for his parents. It's their money, after all."

Just...

Leave me alone...

I just...

I just want to be able to stand proud.

...Wait.

What is this? Who's speaking?

Why can't I remember?

...Who am I?

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

Monobear Theater

Did you know it's easy to lower a new acquaintance's guard if you start your conversation with a story about one of your failures?
...So, let me introduce myself with one of my own.
In the wilderness I live in, being popular is a symbol of strength.
And so, in order to boost my own popularity, I sent myself a fake love letter.
I took it to a friend so I could show off, but unfortunately all I had faked was the envelope.
When he asked me to show the letter inside, I grew desperate...
...And explained the situation thus:
I said the letter had been written using very special ink that only those chosen by god can see!
Upupu... When I did, he immediately exclaimed, "That sure is one passionate love letter!"
But... that's where things started going wrong.
Because he’d shown he could read the sacred text, the people around him started bathing him with admiration and applause.
From then on, he hogged everyone's respect, acting as a messenger of god...
Soon, he was worshipped all over the world!
Even now, he works his believers and sells those mystical vases. He’s making a killing on them.
My slip-up made him filthy rich! It's vexing! An incredible failure!
That has been my failure story. How was it? Did it put you at ease?
If it did... how about buying one of my Appreciation Vases?
I have a quota to fill, so I'll give you a good price!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Hmm... it's looking more and more like our protagonist is a SHSL Mistake, kinda like that person in The Westing Game that got invited by accident.

(If you haven't read The Westing Game and you're in this thread you should, uh, fix that).

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That didn't really happen, Monobear. Don't lie to me.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

I think Tsumiki may already be infected. I could be over-thinking it, but between the last two updates, her behaviour has been a bit off.

Though she is most certainly tired, and she already wasn't exactly normal in the first place (none of our cast are though, so that's besides the point).

Now it really looks like Hinata's just from the prep school. Looks like his talent really isn't something to brag about. Or even just nothing.

Sounds rough.

kankrat
Mar 24, 2013
super high school level otaku maybe? they mentioned it being something he's wasting his parents' money on...

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Considering how the prep school tends to be treated, they're probably thinking that he is the waste of money.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 18, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, uh, yeah, it's pretty clear that Hinata wasn't entirely supposed to be at Hopes Peak if you ask me. Precisely what changed that, and whether or not this means he's our "traitor" is a bit less clear.

I don't think Tsumiki's infected, though. Her response to Hinata showing concern for her was basically the same as when he greeted her that one time.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bellmaker posted:

Hmm... it's looking more and more like our protagonist is a SHSL Mistake, kinda like that person in The Westing Game that got invited by accident.

(If you haven't read The Westing Game and you're in this thread you should, uh, fix that).

The Westing Game brings back a lot of old memories.

Anyway, I love how this seems to be a very dull update with not much changing and then we get hit by Hinata's flashback which brings into question just what on earth is he doing with the other SHSL students.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

A Bystander posted:

Considering how the reserve school tends to be treated, they're probably thinking that he is the waste of money.

I know "reserve school/class" got some tract on tumblr, but I think it's a bad translation. I use "Prep(eratory) school" in my DR/0 translation because that's what the term used in Japanese actually means. Please use that in this thread.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

orenronen posted:

I know "reserve school/class" got some tract on tumblr, but I think it's a bad translation. I use "Prep(eratory) school" in my DR/0 translation because that's what the term used in Japanese actually means. Please use that in this thread.

Got it. I'll edit that and keep it in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, uh, yeah, it's pretty clear that Hinata wasn't entirely supposed to be at Hopes Peak if you ask me. Precisely what changed that, and whether or not this means he's our "traitor" is a bit less clear.

I thought that conversation implied it was his parents' money that changed that. Hinata is the Super High School Level Bought-his-way-in.

• Locked thread