Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

curiousTerminal posted:

In the first game Japanese name order was a plot point in the third trial with Celes' real name and Yamada's insistence on calling everyone Lastname Firstname-dono, so it made a lot of sense keeping it in there, and continuing it in this LP is just consistency.

SHSLTranslation's solution to this was remarkably elegant and also perfectly lazy; we kept Yamada's habit almost verbatim. While everyone else used names in the normal order, Yamada just stuck with Naegi Makoto-kun and Maizono Sayaka-chan (switched from "dono" since "kun" and "chan" are much more widely recognizable as being Japanese Things™).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fedule posted:

SHSLTranslation's solution to this was remarkably elegant and also perfectly lazy; we kept Yamada's habit almost verbatim. While everyone else used names in the normal order, Yamada just stuck with Naegi Makoto-kun and Maizono Sayaka-chan (switched from "dono" since "kun" and "chan" are much more widely recognizable as being Japanese Things™).

Yeah, it makes sense for Yamada because he's a huge loving nerd.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...So, I got lost somewhere in the last few months/pages. Is the LP dead?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oren's in the middle of moving and I believe is considering dropping the LP after chapter 3's completion because DR2 is being localized and is set for release later this year.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

curiousTerminal posted:

In the first game Japanese name order was a plot point in the third trial with Celes' real name and Yamada's insistence on calling everyone Lastname Firstname-dono, so it made a lot of sense keeping it in there, and continuing it in this LP is just consistency.

How did the official localization handle this by the way?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Not sure on the official localization, but the Project Zetsubou translation had him call everyone "Master Lastname."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

whitehelm posted:

How did the official localization handle this by the way?

Mr/Ms Last name or it was Mr/Ms Full name. I don't remember which, but I think it was the first one.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

curiousTerminal posted:

Not sure on the official localization, but the Project Zetsubou translation had him call everyone "Master Lastname."

Pretty much the same in the official game, except he uses 'Mister' instead.

I still don't think it works as well, since logically Yamada would then have gone 'Miss Yasuhiro' instead of 'Yaushiro'.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Think it's just sir and miss, but I can't remember either

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

curiousTerminal posted:

Should have had him call everyone "sir" and "milady". Would have fit pretty well.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

The cultural notes are part of why I enjoy the LP so much. I know that even if I could play the game myself, I wouldn't be getting the little contextual explanations and extra bits of information that Oren and Fedule provide here. I feel that it enriches my understanding of the game and my knowledge in general.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Should have had him call everyone "sir" and "m'lady". Would have fit pretty well.

I fixed that for you. That would've been hilarious.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

KillerEggplant posted:

The cultural notes are part of why I enjoy the LP so much. I know that even if I could play the game myself, I wouldn't be getting the little contextual explanations and extra bits of information that Oren and Fedule provide here. I feel that it enriches my understanding of the game and my knowledge in general.

It is arguably the job of a good localizer to render translation notes unnecessary. OK, sure, commentary after the fact is still interesting sometimes (especially if you speak the original language), and sometimes knowing what the joke was in Japanese gives a unique perspective into localization as a process (this is why my Anecdotes are read by anyone ever), and sometimes foreign trivia is just fascinating in its own right. But on the whole, if footnotes are needed to make a joke funny or a line comprehensible, the translation process has failed. There's a good reason Oren's DR1 LP translation and the SHSL Translation Patch were so different, and it wasn't just because there were two editors inflicting themselves upon the script. The ideal situation is; when you play through in context, everything flows seamlessly, you laugh when you're supposed to and you draw the parallels you're supposed to. THEN you go back and see the commentary and you're all "oh hey that's cool".

LP is kinda unique in that regard because it allows the game and the commentary to run parallel to presenting the game, and it's why a straight translation-LP (without the localization as such) can work.

Distortion Man
Feb 14, 2014
Hey, you're not dead!

Seriously, I love your LP. Take as long as you need to finish the update. I can wait :D.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Fedule posted:

It is arguably the job of a good localizer to render translation notes unnecessary. OK, sure, commentary after the fact is still interesting sometimes (especially if you speak the original language), and sometimes knowing what the joke was in Japanese gives a unique perspective into localization as a process (this is why my Anecdotes are read by anyone ever), and sometimes foreign trivia is just fascinating in its own right. But on the whole, if footnotes are needed to make a joke funny or a line comprehensible, the translation process has failed. There's a good reason Oren's DR1 LP translation and the SHSL Translation Patch were so different, and it wasn't just because there were two editors inflicting themselves upon the script. The ideal situation is; when you play through in context, everything flows seamlessly, you laugh when you're supposed to and you draw the parallels you're supposed to. THEN you go back and see the commentary and you're all "oh hey that's cool".

LP is kinda unique in that regard because it allows the game and the commentary to run parallel to presenting the game, and it's why a straight translation-LP (without the localization as such) can work.

I just reread Neuromancer, and it included a forward by Gibson in which he makes an interesting point about the lack of cellular telephones in his book and, indeed, all sci-fi up to that point.

He says that "a truly prescient novel involving cell phones would be deeply unsettling, the characters moving and acting in incomprehensible ways, due to unprecedented levels of connectivity."

I don't mind the blood types and honorific and translation notes simply because they help provide context for the characters' actions, since they really do think of the world that way.

It will be interesting to find out how the official team is going to localize Sonia's TV references smoothly, though. I expect to be impressed (when I eventually read the LP of the official game, since I am never going to buy a Vita).

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

In an LP, you're reading to "find out about" the game in particular. Commentary is a perfect opportunity to show off the game as-is, explaining the gaps in understanding instead of hiding them.

When you "localize" a game to be played in isolation, it's proper to replace content wholesale with something else that's comprehensible to the new audience. But I really feel that a translation LP can serve a different purpose than that. I've always appreciated the translation notes "style" of LP, and preferred when you explained what's going on and why the original game did what it did.

I've enjoyed these LPs because they're something unique, and really fantastically executed -- what you guys are doing is way more of a draw for me than Dangan Ronpa itself. If the LP stops, I'll miss it, but I won't be getting the game. It'll be missing the features that I'm actually here for. Instead, I'll probably read the other LPs that you guys do.

(Note: I'm not hating on separating this story from Japanese culture in particular. I'm not a super japanophile person. It's just that this project gains a lot of value from being translated and commentated and explained -- it's a more interesting experience than just playing a videogame, which is the result of a proper localization.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 1, 2014

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I gotta say the vita official translation is infinitely better than that non-orenonen fan translation. Those guys' translation choices physically hurt to read.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ditocoaf posted:

In an LP, you're reading to "find out about" the game in particular. Commentary is a perfect opportunity to show off the game as-is, explaining the gaps in understanding instead of hiding them.

When you "localize" a game to be played in isolation, it's proper to replace content wholesale with something else that's comprehensible to the new audience. But I really feel that a translation LP can serve a different purpose than that. I've always appreciated the translation notes "style" of LP, and preferred when you explained what's going on and why the original game did what it did.

I've enjoyed these LPs because they're something unique, and really fantastically executed -- what you guys are doing is way more of a draw for me than Dangan Ronpa itself. If the LP stops, I'll miss it, but I won't be getting the game. It'll be missing the features that I'm actually here for. Instead, I'll probably read the other LPs that you guys do.

(Note: I'm not hating on separating this story from Japanese culture in particular. I'm not a super japanophile person. It's just that this project gains a lot of value from being translated and commentated and explained -- it's a more interesting experience than just playing a videogame, which is the result of a proper localization.)

This pretty much sums up my feelings. Reading the lp is a little cultural experience.

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010

orenronen posted:

...You may turn on the light, but first you have to rip both your eyes out.
...So, how about it? Are you gonna rip them out?

Totally calling this a Mother 2/Earthbound reference. I can't think of anything else but that.

So this LP might be shut down? You know, I'm okay with that. If the game is coming out I would love to finish it on myself. On the other hand all the character might be a bit different when translated by someone else. Overall however it breaks the whole wait such amount of months rule. So using the Phoenix Wright logic center of my brain, it has to stop.

Overall, thank you to everyone for your hard work.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Oh, I'm not saying that the cultural notes etc. should be necessary, but I really like the trivia and extra context. If I could play the localized game, I would enjoy it for what it is. I enjoy the LP for what it can do that the game can't do as well as liking to watch people play games I can't play.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
For what it's worth I followed the LP after I finished DR2 because other then Chiaki referencing videogames I only got like 2 or 3 cultural references. Sonia in particular is kinda.. Out there.

Incidently when you get back Orenonen do you think you'll finish the LP with the English version?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I have a large :words: post in the making about the translation issues raised, but I'm so busy I can't even find fifteen minutes to complete it (moving countries takes away all your free time - who knew?). Look for it soonish.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

orenronen posted:

(moving countries takes away all your free time - who knew?).
People found where you live and you have to flee the country?

BaloogyMcBoy
Sep 4, 2006
The OTHER BaloogyMcBoy
Orenronen/Fedule: Thanks a bunch for the time/effort you've put in. Will you be finishing the translation of the novels? I'd be shocked if they were being licensed and brought to the west too. But I'd understand if it was a lot of work for a game you're stopping LPing. Either way, I'm super high school level interested in seeing how that ends!

On another note. I love translator notes, but ideally they should be more like DVD Special Features. Knowledge made available for people who care, but given a western localisation for the audience that doesn't care. This can be done pretty easily when you're building a game from scratch, would probably be a nightmare wrangling another companies code to enter new menu items and features like that.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Walterion posted:

People found where you live and you have to flee the country?

Nah, didn't you hear him? He's moving a country. He's gonna move Japan closer to the U.S. That's how they're gonna import Dangan Ronpa 2.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Given that this project is probably going to end after this chapter I figured I had better get a vita, and I've been playing through the original. Do you really have to go through all the dialog every time you want to replay a chapter, just to get to the free time events? It feels like the insane amount of work Orenonen went through in the previous game's let's play doubled in my mind because even holding down circle doesn't help when you have to pay attention, react to things, hunt the pixel, and walk around just to move the story along. I thought I'd just pump a few tokens into the slot machine and go fill out these class profiles but nope!

I can skip right to the trial though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You unlock a mode after completing the game that lets you do all the free time events without replaying chapters.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I unlocked a mode where I build monobears. I can tell people to go hunt for scrap iron and chisels. I think you're thinking of the sequel and I think it was extremely frowned upon to mention that mode.

e: Oh thank god this was looking like a chore. Does the star by sayaka mean I'm done with her?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 7, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Krinkle posted:

I unlocked a mode where I build monobears. I can tell people to go hunt for scrap iron and chisels. I think you're thinking of the sequel and I think it was extremely frowned upon to mention that mode.

No, you can talk to people during your free time when you're done scavenging and building for the day in school mode. I completed everyone's report cards on the Vita version through it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

As people said, the end of this LP gives HelloWinter time for... other projects.

And, welp, HelloWinter, the man personally asked you on TV to please continue the one of the best screenshot LPs ever (around the 5 min mark). I fully support this request.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Chances are Orenonen or someone else will LP the English version.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I hope he translates it into Japanese and then back into English.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

I hope he translates it into Japanese and then back into English.

Only if it's with google translate.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Any word on when (or if) we'll get to the third trial? It's been about a month since we heard anything.

If we're going to wait for the English release to continue the LP using the official localization, that's okay.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Orenronen is apparently in the middle of moving in another country, so the LP's understandably put on hold.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fedule is also MIA for the time being if the Final Fantasy XIII LP is to be believed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
FF XIII kills anyone who tries to LP it.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Gorilla Salad posted:

so does that mean Pork Lift really IS a ghost? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I will have you know that I am still very much alive, thank you very much. :colbert:

Now Fedule I can't make any promises on. :v:

• Locked thread