Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kal-L posted:

Hey guys, guess who is a fan of Monobear: X-Men supervillain Arcade!

In the new Avengers Arena comic, he kidnaps 16 teen superheroes previously seen in Avengers Academy, and tells them that after 30 days of mutual killing and Murderworld death traps, only one of them will win this new game.

I don't think the writer is copying Dangan Ronpa per se, since it seems from the covers that they're going more for a Battle Royale/Hunger Games thing, but still it's fun to see the premise of 16 teens with strange talents turn against each other in a different media.

Arcade has a habit of doing stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

JT Jag posted:

One of the very strong alternate possibilities.

The question then must be: Why does Monobear suddenly have an independent AI? He certainly didn't seem to have one before. Something changed. If this is really the case, I'm sure we'll end up with an explanation for why Monobear, who used to just basically be a puppet, may have become a autonomous being in his own right. And then we may very well have a mastermind of a different shade.
Well maybe he did had one before but it was never turned on and, just like that air purifer machine in DR1, it was programmed to turn itself on when Junko died, it would make sense with the stinger at the end.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Arcade has a habit of doing stuff like this.

But has he done it in style. Seriously though why is Arcade dressed up like he is going to a five star restaurant. Isn't he supposed to be basically a deranged goony carny with a very stupid and garish bow tie.

Also the cover of the comic is more Battle Royale than Dangan Ronpa.

But hey, the writer of the comic is Dennis Hopeless. :tinfoil:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LateToTheParty posted:

But has he done it in style. Seriously though why is Arcade dressed up like he is going to a five star restaurant. Isn't he supposed to be basically a deranged goony carny with a very stupid and garish bow tie.

Also the cover of the comic is more Battle Royale than Dangan Ronpa.

But hey, the writer of the comic is Dennis Hopeless. :tinfoil:

Wait two of them are dead. That's a first Arcade has never managed to cause someones death before.

Also yeah it looks like Battle Royale rather then Dangan Ronpa.

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012

JT Jag posted:

It is an accurate description of the character in question. It is a person named Togami. He has a self-admitted weight issue (though he claims it's actually the thin people who have the problem). He is Fat Togami.

I just picture Marlon Brando in late years being billed in feature films as "Fat Marlon Brando".

ShallowKnave
Sep 9, 2011
Fun Shoe
They've already revealed more covers from this run of Avengers Academy mimicing Lord of the Flies and The Hunger Games, so one can only hope that eventually they'll be so short of inspirational ideas that they'll have to make one featuring Nico Minoru holding a doll of Arcade wearing a half-black, half-white suit.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 18, 2014

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Re: Despair-Syndrome

Rule no. 5
In the event of a murder in the student group, a school trial shall commence. Participation in the school trial will be mandatory.

Rule no. 6
During the school trial, students will attempt to identify the culprit. If the culprit is successfully identified, they alone shall be executed for their crime.

Rule no. 7
Failure to identify the culprit will be considered a violation of the school rules. In this event, all students except the culprit shall be executed.

Rule no. 8
A culprit who successfully hides their guilt shall be granted immunity, and shall be permitted to leave the island.

Rule no. 9
After three people or more first discover a dead body, a "body discovery announcement" shall be broadcast across the island.

Rule no. 10
It is strictly forbidden to damage any facilities on the island, including any monitors or surveillance cameras.

Rule no. 11
You may freely investigate the island. No special restrictions will be placed on your activities.

Warning
More rules may be added in the future, at the discretion of the school.

Sighing heavily, I slowly looked up from the Electronic Student Handbook...
...And saw the hotel's courtyard, which by now had became dark.

I was sitting on a folding chair, unable to move my body.

Is he... really doing this...?

I could hardly believe this was reality.

Nevertheless, it was.

No matter how much I don't want to believe it, I watched it happen with my own eyes, and even felt it.

...It was undeniably real.

But, it's a reality far removed from normality.

School, studying, exams, job hunting, fights with friends, strolling, taking the train, being scolded...
That kind of normal life was worlds away now... in every sense.

I suddenly looked up, and saw the night sky, packed with stars.
They looked like snowflakes that might fall down into my hands at any moment...

It was the first night I spent on the island. The night sky was completely different from the one I was used to...

It was a beautiful night.

As I stared absentmindedly at the sky, certain words floated in the back of my mind.

Music fades out

"A student who kills one of their friends can leave this island"

Ocean Breeze Dead End

After hearing these words, we stood around in that park for a while. No one said a thing...

And then, after a period of silence...

Everyone went their separate ways.

Night came soon after that. A beautiful night that could steal your breath away...

And yet... the beauty of that night terrified me.

It was just another reminder of how far we’d been taken from what should have been our lives.

Music stops

CHAPTER 1
Tropical Despair
(Ab)normal days

* ding dong ding dong *

Um, this is an announcement from Hope's Peak Academy's Field Trip Executive Committee...
It is now 10PM.
Night brings out the worst in people... If you walk outside, you may inadvertently come across a killer!
And so, in order to quell you bastards' worries, I have prepared separate cottages for each of you.
You can sleep there in safety and comfort! I hope you like them!
I strongly recommend you lock your doors up tight before going to bed.
You never know who’s prowling about, scheming murder!
Upupu... Bye-o-nara!

poo poo... He keeps spewing such sinister words...

Cottages, huh?

Let’s find our cottage.

Beautiful Ruin

This looks promising.

Re: Despair Syndrome

...gently caress!

The moment I entered my cottage, I collapsed on the bed.

...Why the gently caress is this happening?!

I was so troubled, I just yelled at myself...

I didn't want to see anyone else anymore. If only I could stay here, alone, forever...

There's not one of them that I can trust...

I mean, I don't know anything about them, so how can I trust them?

The only one I can trust is myself... No... even that's not true.
To be completely honest... After hearing that stupid rule about how only someone who kills can leave...

...I felt there was a part of me that would do anything in order to leave this place.

Suddenly, I heard a screaming voice.

...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

It was... my own voice.

...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I screamed and screamed and screamed, and then I screamed some more.

...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Why me...?

What did I do to deserve this?

AAAAAAAAAA......

At long last, my voice cracked, and then faded away.

All that was left was silence.

But, it wasn't complete silence.
I could still hear the sound of the crashing waves from far away.

They seemed to be whispering, "this is no longer the world you knew".

I was troubled once more.

Why am I here? What am I doing here?

I shut my eyes tightly.
I couldn't really sleep... But I wanted to, even if only for a little while.

I needed a pause, a break from the madness.

And then, if the next time I open my eyes the world returns to normal, that would be wonderful.

With that faint hope burning inside my heart, I fell into light sleep...

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

Monobear Theatre

Eh, let's make this formal...
To you bastards who bought "Super Dangan Ronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Academy"...
We'd like to thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
To you bastards who borrowed a copy of "Super Dangan Ronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Academy" from a friend...
Since friendships can be ruined over unreturned goods, we recommend you buy another copy, just in case.
We realize it took a while to get to the main story, but...
I dare say you shall not be disappointed from now on!
I promise you bastards an tremendously appealing world, worthy of being called "a game to remember"!
So please, shake and tremble with anticipation!
Well then, sit back and enjoy our presentation to its very end.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 20, 2013

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Seems like Hinata is just as wary as Togami when it comes to the others. I wonder how long it's going to be in game time before somebody extends the olive branch.

I'm really digging Ocean Breeze Dead End. It's pretty different from the DR1 music and invokes that sense of dread and poo poo rapidly becoming real.

Balqis
Sep 5, 2011

Dear God, it's like Monobear is aware of the thread. He knows. If the virtual reality theory holds any weight, is it possible that WE are all trapped in Monobear's Despair thread, reduced to horrible antics until none of us are left unbanned?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

This may very well be the smuggest cartoon bear I've ever seen. Look at him.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I see Monobear's switched up his drink choice to better reflect the tropical mood. Appropriate!

It's also pretty cool to see a more despair-prone protagonist this time around. Hinata's personality was pretty different from Naegi's even in the prologue, but I don't recall Naegi ever being this paranoid, self-doubting, and, well, freaky-outy, even when discovering corpses. It's pretty cool to see more differences emerge, and I think this should dispel any worries that Hajime's just going to recapitulate Naegi's development and/or end up as SHSL Hope. (If he somehow does end up as Hope, it's going to be an interesting ride to get there.)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Huh, I caught up with this thread just as orenronen posted the first part of Chapter 1. It's good to finally be out of the prologue, which hopefully means that some of the baseless speculation will finally die down as we get somewhere in the actual meat of this game.

I guess Hinata really isn't taking what just happened really well, freaking out like that and pretty much falling to despair a lot more than Naegi did. At least he waited until he was in his own private cottage before doing so. He had a lot stronger reaction than what I was expecting, and it looks like to me that he's actually considering killing someone in order to get off the island. He doesn't really trust anyone else either, and doesn't seem like the kind of person that would do so.

We knew we were getting a different protagonist than Naegi this time around and I'm not disappointed in his reaction so far... Can't wait to see how this all plays out in this chapter.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Dangan Ronpa 3: Farewell Something Dispairful Let's Play Subforum is pretty much confirmed at this point.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Ok I have to be honest here - I think I'm liking Hinata as a protagonist way more than Naegi. He actually seems to show personality right from the start, whereas Naegi took a little while to show some. Not that Naegi was a bad protagonist, but he was just sort of the generic lead character. A nice guy who always wants everyone to stay friends and doesn't give up no matter what the odds are.

Hinata on the other hand is not nearly as collected and while I wouldn't say he isn't nice, he does seem more skeptical and a cynic to boot. He immediately goes into panic mode over everything that is happening and it makes him a lot more realistic as a character that even he would get a thought to murder to escape. Usually the standard protagonist would never think of betraying anyone or doing anything that would separate the group, so it adds a certain charm to him. Can't wait until the inevitable trial scenes to see how he measures up compared to Naegi.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
^^ He's kind of petulant, really. But yeah, he definitely has a lot more dialog because he hasn't just sat there thinking "Should I tell this person this important fact? Nnnnnooooo... I'm just going to go fart around in the changing rooms!"

Antivehicular posted:

(If he somehow does end up as Hope, it's going to be an interesting ride to get there.)

Naaah, he's clearly SHSL Chronic Dissent.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
If Monobear doesn't even like people borrowing copies of this game, he must really hate us for mooching off Orenronen for the game script.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm very disappointed that there wasn't a "And if you pirated this game!" line in there somewhere, I was fully expecting that after the borrowing comment and I didn't get it. That is truly the most important thing about this update.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Patter Song posted:

If Monobear doesn't even like people borrowing copies of this game, he must really hate us for mooching off Orenronen for the game script.

To be fair, the DR1 LP sold at least one copy of the iOS release to an English-speaker (slowbeef), which is probably more than we would have had without a translation to introduce the game to a non-Japanese audience. If anything, Monobear should love us! ... not that it's a good thing to be loved by Monobear, of course.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 18, 2014

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
So we've got a TV, and in the upper right corner is that a Monobear doll? Or is that a fully fledged Monobear that he can switch too to easily mess with everyone personally?
Also Hinata your room is far too empty of poo poo just like Naegi, how is Ghost Mondo supposed to save you when Zombie Monoluchador tries to give you brownies?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I wonder what would Monobear think of Orenronen and the readers of this LP.

Axle_Stukov posted:

Also Hinata your room is far too empty of poo poo just like Naegi, how is Ghost Mondo supposed to save you when Zombie Monoluchador tries to give you brownies?
He will simply possess Hinata and turn him into Hinada. :v:

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I agree that I'm enjoying Hinata's character as a protagonist more as well - he has a more realistic frustrated anger and also that slight temptation to / fear he will kill unlike Naegi did, and I like that. Slightly more complicated of a character type, as befits a sequel. And as a cynic, I can relate!

I don't know if this is too meta considering it is a sequel game, but the fact that Monobear's rules already include a bunch of rules he only thought up in the middle of the first game would seem to imply this is not a prequel but actually takes place in game time after the first game. Which I kind of hope is true because it makes the story more interesting from a narrative perspective. But I could also just be way off the deep end and reading into things that aren't supposed to be read into.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I like that all "normal" bgm tracks are variations of the same track in both games. Though Beautiful Ruin is a bit too cheerful still for a night-time song. I guess the tracks from the first game aren't in this one then? (Beautiful Dead/Morning etc)

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011
Strange that there's no rule against killing more than two students this time. Are there any other rules from the first game missing in the list?

what a great guy
Sep 7, 2011
What stuck out to me is that Monobear's rules begin at rule 5 - perhaps meaning the 4 previous rules are still in play - including things like no littering, no excess violence, and making friends. Gonna be interesting to see how these affect Monobear's actions, if he's still as bound by the rules as he was last game.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

While I did like Naegi, Hinata's paranoia makes for an interesting change of pace.

This cast in general seems to be more paranoid than the first game's. In the first game, with the exception of Togami and Fukawa, most of the characters refused to believe someone would kill until someone actually did, and even then, they still continued going to the morning meetings and kept trying to trust each other.

Here, no one seems to trust anyone to not kill. I'm not sure they'll start having morning meetings either, especially since they don't seem to have a "Law and Order" guy like Ishimaru to kick them off. Maybe Nidai?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I like how Hinata actually wonders whether he will be tempted to kill to get off the island. That would be a pretty cool twist near the end of the game, if you do kill someone and have to cover it up and throw the school trial so that someone else gets sentenced. I mean, I don't think it will happen since that would be a pretty despair-filled ending but it would be cool.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Catastrophics posted:

Strange that there's no rule against killing more than two students this time. Are there any other rules from the first game missing in the list?

If I recall, wasn't that rule added later after the students raised the question of "So what if I just kill everyone else so there's no one left to find out?", maybe he's waiting for that to happen again? Since also missing is the no breaking locks rule which was also added later.

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 12, 2013

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So since we spent the most time with Nagito so far its probably gonna be him who gets killed first, just to gently caress with us who wonder what is his relation to Naegi :v:

And yeah Hinata is proving to be more interesting than Naegi was in the first game.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Catastrophics posted:

The most notable omission I can see is that this time there aren't any specific rules regarding the students' activities during Night Time. Monobear simply mentioned that it might be a bad idea to wander around at night as there might be killers around. There's no mention of any locations which are out-of-bounds at that time, and no rules limiting where the students are allowed to sleep.

I wonder if this means that someone will try barricading themselves into one of the buildings with a food source, reasoning that they can't get killed if they don't let anyone in.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Catastrophics posted:

EDIT: Beaten to it...

MB hasn't named a place off limits at night yet, opposed to DR1's cafeteria. He's warned everyone "Hey, don't go outside at night, there could be murderers out there!" but hasn't explicitly named any forbidden areas. Also, while this isn't a rule, there's no telling if this MB will explode if attacked since, well, GIANT MONOBOTS.

TKMobile fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 12, 2013

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009
I never did get why the cafeteria was off limits in the first game. I guess maybe that when Monobear ate so it was closed off so no one could figure out who it was. Either that or too many easily grabbed murder weapons. But then the question comes up, since Monobear wanted people to kill, why close off such easily grabbed weapons?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Looks like Usami's rules are still in effect, I think.
If that's the case, I wonder how Rule. 1 and Rule. 5 will coexist, unless I'm just wrong.

Also, there's probably a bonus ending that happens if you managed to get all the hope shards before Monobear appear.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I guess you could consider the inclusion of his rules from the first game, the ones which he made up later in the game, as clues that this has happened before. I wouldn't dwell on that though, because it's also a sequel and they could be included because everyone knows what the game's about.

It's meta thinking like this that end up looping the same arguments.

SaitoBatch posted:

I never did get why the cafeteria was off limits in the first game.
Who do you think refilled the cafeteria? It's risky when the mastermind is the one walking around, unprotected, during a game of mutual killing. Safest way is lock them out of the cafeteria and kill them [for breaking the rules] should they enter.

Conro101 posted:

Shouldn't this apply to the store, then, as well? Even more so that they're isolated and it'll be even harder to get more supplies onto the island.
I would think that, but maybe they're more prepared this time and have a storage area round back? Just get an army of Monobears to restock or something. We've got no idea, so this might come into play later. Given that it's harder to get supplies, maybe that's why the store is packed with so much stuff though? Which means it may be a rare occasion it gets locked. Anyone who breaks the lock gets into trouble too, so it still works. That's just a possibility though.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 12, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SaitoBatch posted:

I never did get why the cafeteria was off limits in the first game. I guess maybe that when Monobear ate so it was closed off so no one could figure out who it was. Either that or too many easily grabbed murder weapons. But then the question comes up, since Monobear wanted people to kill, why close off such easily grabbed weapons?

It was only closed off at night, people still could (and maizano in fact did) grab a kitchen knife from there during the day time.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

CrashScreen posted:

Who do you think refilled the cafeteria? It's risky when the mastermind is the one walking around, unprotected, during a game of mutual killing. Safest way is lock them out of the cafeteria and kill them [for breaking the rules] should they enter.
Shouldn't this apply to the store, then, as well? Even more so that they're isolated and it'll be even harder to get more supplies onto the island.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Hinata's psyche seems to be most similar to that of Maizono in the first game, I honestly wouldn't be shocked if the game pulled something crazy and had you in control of the first killer.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
If there's gonna be a murder, I think Gundam will be murdered, and his four gerbils will each form an instrumental, but initially puzzling, piece of evidence that blows the whole case wide open. There will then be a sad scene of the gerbils mourning their fallen master, likely as a parody of some sort of famous final scene from a classic anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Axle_Stukov posted:

So we've got a TV, and in the upper right corner is that a Monobear doll? Or is that a fully fledged Monobear that he can switch too to easily mess with everyone personally?

It's too flat to be a doll, I think it's probably just a decal or something.
Frankly I'm more amused at the fact that Monobear saw fit to give Hajime a lace canopy in his cottage, unless that's in everyone else's.

Wyvernil posted:

The most notable omission I can see is that this time there aren't any specific rules regarding the students' activities during Night Time. Monobear simply mentioned that it might be a bad idea to wander around at night as there might be killers around. There's no mention of any locations which are out-of-bounds at that time, and no rules limiting where the students are allowed to sleep.

Wasn't Celes technically the one that instated that no one should wander around during Night Time? The only real rules Monobear had were just 'don't go in the cafeteria' and 'don't fall asleep outside the dorms', unless there's something I'm forgetting.

Miss Kalle fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 12, 2013

• Locked thread