Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So, Oren, just a question. Can you enter the Dull Start code the first time you play the game? If so, does it give you anything special?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
I'm curious - what was "DULL START" in the original Japanese?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

alcharagia posted:

I'd say Satou is more likely to be one of the A through E-koes, because probably-Kuzuryuu's sister was the one who died, and there was another Kuzuryuu in the credits.

:doh: I completely overlooked the double Kuzuryuus.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

Why would Satou be Kuzuryuu's sister if everyone is only listed by their surname and there are two Kuzuryuus listed?

e:fb

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

xxlicious posted:

Probably DULL START

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Christopher Robin posted:

Wouldn't Mikan be A-ko?

I kind of assumed Mikan was D-ko because D-ko also seemed kind of stuttery and quick to startle. But I guess A-ko also works.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Miss Kalle posted:

However, Peko not being in the credits is kind of telling, considering she's pretty high on the potential suspects list outside the game.

Or, you know, she's not Peko Pekoyama, she's Peko Satou or Peko Kyuzuryu. Neither of which makes as cute of a nickname as Pekopeko.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Elaborating on what DaveWoo said:

A-ko apologizes a lot and is very nervous. She's Mikan.
B-ko's a short jerk. She's Saionji.
D-ko's a photographer, and took photos of the crime scene. She's Koizumi.
E-ko died, and therefore wouldn't be on the island. She's Satao.
The first victim and F-suke are siblings. They're the Kuzuryuus.
By process of elimination, this leaves C-ko to be Ibuki.

This is probably irrelevant, but on Day 4, E-ko made mention of being in archery club, so she's probably a SHSL Archer.

EDIT: Hey Orenronen, did the evidence bullets from the game enter the evidence file, or were they just for flavor?

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 13, 2013

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I'd guess that Satou is Pekoyama's true name. Her name is bloody strange otherwise. I've got the set up like this:

A - Nurse lassy
B - Saionji
C - Music lassy
D - Koizumi
E - Satou/Peko

Edit: wait, E is dead. Curses.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'm just going to assume the pervert they're all talking about is Hanamura, because why not?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

xxlicious posted:

Gokai shita / Go kai shita

(You misunderstood/You messed up) / Five times down

DULL START was entirely Oren's idea, because apparently he'd been anticipating this one for some time.

I sure as hell couldn't come up with anything better.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
So the game implies that E-Ko killed the first girl, to vindicate D-Ko. A day later, E-Ko was murdered herself. What was this game's serial killer's schtick again? Some kind of Dexter kind of thing where the murderers were killed?

(I'd love to google the characters to double check my facts or to look up small stuff, but I'm just going to get spoiled that way)

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Fedule posted:

Gokai shita / Go kai shita

(You misunderstood/You messed up) / Five times down

DULL START was entirely Oren's idea, because apparently he'd been anticipating this one for some time.

He redid the puzzle to "localize" it for the LP thread? So we'd have a chance to guess? Wow, that is honestly really impressive from an LP standpoint.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

slowbeef posted:

He redid the puzzle to "localize" it for the LP thread? So we'd have a chance to guess? Wow, that is honestly really impressive from an LP standpoint.

I assume the button sequence on the actual game is the same? So maybe he just modified the code to suit the language translation.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

slowbeef posted:

Not that it's even a puzzle - Nanami tells you what to do.

But anyway, my goal with SDR2 is to never write a translation note where I have to explain something linguistic. This isn't the last of the problematic scenes in this regard in this game, but we'll find creative solutions for all of them.

Also, props to HelloWinter for doing screenshot edits so good no one even suspects they're photoshopped.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Now that we've seen the whole game and nailed down who's who, let's see what it means.

It looks like the game is telling of how Satou killed Kuzuryuu the younger, so Kuzuryuu the elder killed her based on the evidence Koizumi discarded. This could have provided a motive for any of Tsumiki, Ibuki, Saionji, Koizumi or Kuzuryuu to kill one of the others, especially if it triggered some memories of school life. Perhaps one of them wanted to avenge Satou by killing Kuzuryuu, or Koizumi.

Now, we saw Saionji leave the scene of the crime, and Kuzuryuu nearby. Saionji was almost certainly the first or second person to discover the body.

I don't think we have any evidence to rule out Kuzuryuu leaving the scene of the crime guilty there, but the game doesn't give him any motive. I'd even be inclined to think he wanted to talk to Koizumi about his sister, given she apparently bullied her. He might have been the other person to discover the body. He did seem very shaken at the time.

This leaves Tsumiki and Ibuki, who arrived together, shortly after the crime was committed (and indeed were the first to arrive). They might have worked together to kill Koizumi, especially as they were turning up to this beach party without beachwear. Of course, there's no reason to collaborate in this situation. Unless they have a plan that isn't finished yet.

The other alternative is that the game is all a big red herring and Peko or Sonia did it.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Fragrag posted:

So the game implies that E-Ko killed the first girl, to vindicate D-Ko. A day later, E-Ko was murdered herself. What was this game's serial killer's schtick again? Some kind of Dexter kind of thing where the murderers were killed?

(I'd love to google the characters to double check my facts or to look up small stuff, but I'm just going to get spoiled that way)

quote:

Ah, but putting him aside... this is the one I am most interested in.
This "Kirakira-chan" has been a regular on these special features for some time, you see.
But just in case, let me explain to you everything about him...
Kirakira-chan is a self-appointed "Warrior of Justice" serial killer!

A delightful serial killer who wears masks of hero characters from all over the world, killing off criminals one by one!

I think this is all we know.

Mav-san
Oct 22, 2012
The final prize Monokuma gave to the first winner was probably Memory Restoration. And the winner was probably Kuzuryuu who, probably, is our murder. I think the case got totally clear with this, unless there's some unexpected plot twist.

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013
Lotta new info in this update... I expected the game to be important, but drat son. We just entered a whole new ball game.

If Monomi let Nagito out, we can probably write him off as an accomplice. Probably. Maybe. Possibly.

Just from this it seems like the field of suspects has been narrowed considerably. Or it's meant to look that way. The story line of the game, by all appearances, would be that F-suke killed E-ko in revenge for E-ko murdering his sister. Characters in the game are clearly meant to mirror the female cast (minus Sonia, Nanami and Peko) plus the brother:

A-ko is clearly Mikan. Too jittery and easy to abuse.
B-ko is clearly Saionji. Too much of a tongue-lasher to be anyone else.
C-ko would be Ibuki. Kind of a hard read but process of elimination puts her here. You can kind of see it though in a few lines.
D-ko would be Mahiru. Taking photos and being mostly level-headed etc.
E-ko is killed in game so one would assume she was Satou.
F-suke is obviously Kuzuryuu. He's the only male character with a name mentioned in the game. Twice, in fact.

All this casts Kuzuryuu in a pretty terrible light. Motive is kind of blurry though... It might be that Kuzuryuu killed Mahiru because he was afraid his previous crime would be exposed? Did she try to blackmail him like she did Satou? That would make the basic motive of this case pretty close to the second case of the first game: secrets.

Of course, this seems so obvious it's probably wrong. And it doesn't explain things like the lack of footprints, the empty water bottles, or the mask. It could be that the real killer in the game was neither F-suke or E-ko but someone else... Which would mean Mikan, Saionji and Ibuki would be our primary suspects? We reallllly need to hear Saionji's side of the story. And Kuzuryuu's of course, though knowing him he'll deny everything.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
If nothing else, it would be interesting if the SHSL Yakuza turned out to be a cartoon-obsessed vigilante. It would even add another layer of reasoning toward not wanting to be compared with a child. That said, I still suspect Peko of being Kira Kira, if he or she is on the island at all.

orenronen posted:

Not that it's even a puzzle - Nanami tells you what to do.

But anyway, my goal with SDR2 is to never write a translation note where I have to explain something linguistic. This isn't the last of the problematic scenes in this regard in this game, but we'll find creative solutions for all of them.

Also, props to HelloWinter for doing screenshot edits so good no one even suspects they're photoshopped.

All of this really drives in how much work you, Fedule, and HelloWinter have been doing for the LP. I don't think most professional translators would go through the trouble of re-creating a puzzle, especially not if it turns out irrelevant whether or not the player figures it out on their own.

Thanks again, to all of you. :glomp:

Edit:
VVVVV

It could very simply be a file explaining exactly what happened in the past, at least in relation to this incident. There are a lot of options for what the prize could have been, of course, but it's still plausible that it has something to do with their missing memories, especially given how much focus this chapter is giving to the memory issue.

PhysicsFrenzy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 12, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mav-san posted:

The final prize Monokuma gave to the first winner was probably Memory Restoration. And the winner was probably Kuzuryuu who, probably, is our murder. I think the case got totally clear with this, unless there's some unexpected plot twist.

It's a folder, man. What, does the folder have a crazy memory-restoring robo-claw or something inside it? I don't see how restoration of memories is any more probable than any other prize.

Mav-san
Oct 22, 2012

alcharagia posted:

It's a folder, man. What, does the folder have a crazy memory-restoring robo-claw or something inside it? I don't see how restoration of memories is any more probable than any other prize.

Nobody said it's a folder, or just because it's illustrated as such.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Welp, now I'm sure Kuryuzuu's not the killer. I mean, largely for meta reasons, because I give this game enough credit to not have it be the obvious suspect. Because Peko and Sonia weren't depicted in the game, my money's now on Saonji (which was my original suspicion anyway).

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mav-san posted:

Nobody said it's a folder, or just because it's illustrated as such.

Yeah it is.

Mav-san
Oct 22, 2012
One thing to note is that it's not really obvious who Mioda is. C-ko is rather generic when compared to E-ko. It may be misleading us on purpose to think the other way around, so Mioda may actually be E-ko.

alcharagia posted:

Yeah it is.

Okay, change it to "folder with details of past events so Kuzuryuu may kill Koizumi". Or details of how to perform the murder in the similar manner to Twilight Mystery.

Mav-san fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 12, 2013

Mav-san
Oct 22, 2012
Double post mistake, remove please.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Perhaps one of them wanted to avenge Satou by killing Kuzuryuu, or Koizumi.

The serial killer angle would help support this.

Tenebrais posted:

This leaves Tsumiki and Ibuki, who arrived together, shortly after the crime was committed (and indeed were the first to arrive). They might have worked together to kill Koizumi, especially as they were turning up to this beach party without beachwear. Of course, there's no reason to collaborate in this situation. Unless they have a plan that isn't finished yet.

orenronen posted:

I mean, if it was cloudy today, our plans...
Huh? Plans?

Wah! I...It's nothing! I was just talking to myself!
P...Please excuse me...!

Now knowing that she has an avatar in Twilight Syndrome, this could be taken out of context. And it does take two people to get through the window.
But then, how did they find out? Mikan and Mioda aren't anywhere near likely to have played the game to find out any of what happened in the past.

Tenebrais posted:

The other alternative is that the game is all a big red herring and Peko or Sonia did it.

Also

orenronen posted:

This is my opportunity to ask someone what it feels like to be a character in a video game!

I feel like this happened already. Deja-

orenronen posted:

Well, not you specifically. I just want the opinion of a regular person.

Mu. Is this to do with what we talked about earlier?

What could Pekoyama have talked about with Nidai...?

The thing I want to ask is...
Nidai and me. Do we look like we're... "cosplaying" fighting game characters?
...Huh? Cosplaying?

vu?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh, that also narrows down who the "outsider" suspects are. Since this is a non-fiction story, we now know that Ibuki, Saionji, Kuzuryuu, Mikan, and Koizumi were at Hope's Peak before.

That's not very important now, but it helps for when that inevitably becomes important.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Starting to think it's Peko, simply because everyone's name is A-Ko B-Ko C-Ko and P-Ko sounds in line v:v:v

I am the greatest detective.

Also Oren creating that little puzzle (if it can be called that) is really smart. I'm impressed!

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Starting to think it's Peko, simply because everyone's name is A-Ko B-Ko C-Ko and P-Ko sounds in line v:v:v

I am the greatest detective.

Also Oren creating that little puzzle (if it can be called that) is really smart. I'm impressed!

"Peko" is pronounced closer to "pay-ko" than "pee-ko". The latter would be written "Piko".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This chapter is about the game, mostly. It would be incredibly messy if the killer wasn't related to the game, which means it has to be someone in the credits. There is also the possibility that Kirakira played the game, and either misunderstood who was who or held Koizumi responsible for keeping silent. I don't really like the idea of Kirakira being unrelated to the game, though.

However, the idea that Kuzuryuu would kill Koizumi to prevent anyone from finding out that he killed Satou is incredibly stupid. Anyone can play the game. She doesn't remember the events of the game. It seems like Kuzuryuu is the only one who had whatever evidence was rewarded for beating the game. Only one person is supposed to be able to leave the island; if it is Kuzuryuu, no one is going to talk (due to them being dead) and if it isn't, his being accused of murder wouldn't matter (due to him being dead).

Also, others finding out that he had in fact killed someone in the past would make him seem dangerous, which is what he has been trying and failing to do every time he appears. The only person he has intimidated is Mikan, and it would be easier to list what doesn't intimidate her.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Serious Frolicking posted:

This chapter is about the game, mostly. It would be incredibly messy if the killer wasn't related to the game, which means it has to be someone in the credits.

Not necessarily. I could easily see someone else completing the game and thinking "hey, this would be a really great opportunity to frame Kurzuyuu".

quote:

However, the idea that Kuzuryuu would kill Koizumi to prevent anyone from finding out that he killed Satou is incredibly stupid.

Kurzuyuu's motive seems pretty simple - revenge. Mahiru knew who murdered his sister, but did nothing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

Yeah, part of the reason I never suspected it was because it was Engrish-y enough that it might have been in the real game. Nice job on that one, to all three.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009
The only motive I can find in the game would be for Koizumi to kill Kuzuryuu, not the other way around. When you think about it, Koizumi and E-Ko were good enough friends to where Koizumi would cover up E-ko murdering someone else without even batting an eye. The game would have been the only way she could have deduced who the murderer of E-ko was since she has no memories of that event (presumably). Koizumi was also on the bridge to the park when Hinata left to go play the game the first night 'taking photographs of the ocean' and could have easily played the game before or after Hinata did.

I'm thinking the game is one big red herring or is only tangentially related to the murder, or Koizumi tried to kill Kuzuryuu and something backfired on her.

The game itself is iffy on some points too; the murder evidence (The broken vase) that implicates E-ko murdering the unnamed victim is in the classroom next to the music room. The victim's body was found in the music room itself. Was she killed in the music room or moved there? The music room was also locked when the group got there, and the only way in was through the door that the group came through in. That being the case, how did E-ko leave the music room and lock it? The key for the door was in the teacher's lounge where E-ko said it was, so she couldn't have had the key on her at the time. Lastly, what made the head-wound found on the victim's body? Was it the aquarium, the vase, or something else entirely?

And of course, how is the missing swimsuit even relevant?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Falls Down Stairs posted:

"Peko" is pronounced closer to "pay-ko" than "pee-ko". The latter would be written "Piko".

In many languages aside from English, "P" is said "Pay".

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013
I'm not sure it really means anything because I think the "Satou was a previous student who died" theory is fairly solid, but it is worth noting that Satou is an insanely common name in Japan -- even more than Smith in the US -- which makes it a good name for an alias.

Kuzuryuu is definitely looking like the one who won the game first, and it's pretty clear he has a sister who's either dead or secretly on the island. I'm not sure I'm ready to jump on him as the suspect, though. For one thing, it's really freaking strange that all the pre-Twilight Mystery evidence pointed directly to Peko and Sonia, who didn't seem to appear in the game at all. There's also some stuff that makes a Kuzuryuu connection unclear -- I'm really wondering about Eko's fake missing swimsuit and how that ties in.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Facetious Jim posted:

The only motive I can find in the game would be for Koizumi to kill Kuzuryuu, not the other way around. When you think about it, Koizumi and E-Ko were good enough friends to where Koizumi would cover up E-ko murdering someone else without even batting an eye. The game would have been the only way she could have deduced who the murderer of E-ko was since she has no memories of that event (presumably). Koizumi was also on the bridge to the park when Hinata left to go play the game the first night 'taking photographs of the ocean' and could have easily played the game before or after Hinata did.

I'm thinking the game is one big red herring or is only tangentially related to the murder, or Koizumi tried to kill Kuzuryuu and something backfired on her.

The game itself is iffy on some points too; the murder evidence (The broken vase) that implicates E-ko murdering the unnamed victim is in the classroom next to the music room. The victim's body was found in the music room itself. Was she killed in the music room or moved there? The music room was also locked when the group got there, and the only way in was through the door that the group came through in. That being the case, how did E-ko leave the music room and lock it? The key for the door was in the teacher's lounge where E-ko said it was, so she couldn't have had the key on her at the time. Lastly, what made the head-wound found on the victim's body? Was it the aquarium, the vase, or something else entirely?

And of course, how is the missing swimsuit even relevant?

The way I understood it, E-ko committed the murder ahead of time and escaped through the window maybe the night before (or she had the key at the time). She then smashed the vase in the next room to give herself an alibi, since a killer wouldn't have had time to go back inside and get outside the music room before anyone showed up.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Ok, so Kuzuryuu killed Satou. In that case, either the evidence he received was 'she did it for Koizumi, so it's her fault your sister died, kill her too," or... I'm not sure what. But whoever killed Koizumi did so in a way that evoked the death of E-ko, which makes me think it was revenge for E-ko's death. Either way, will be interesting to see.

Also, both cases have what might be the same red herring. A broken window that could be used to escape the building. E-ko killed Kuzuryuu (female), then set up the crime scene, then ran to the girls. They assumed since she was with them that the killer didn't have time to use and return the room key and must have left through the window. Similarly, there was a huge focus on the window that Akane and Hinata were able to reach together and its role as a possible entrance or exit. I'm loving the symmetry.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I seriously doubt Kuzuryuu is our serial killer; if he got his memory restored for beating the game (as someone else suggested was the prize) though he might know who on the island is Kirakira-chan, so if he did kill Koizumi as revenge for his sister's murder then he is probably trying to pin the blame on the serial killer like Togami did in DR1.

As interesting as I thought the theory of Saionji and Kuzuryuu being siblings was, it's pretty obvious now that's not true. There's no reason for people to keep barking up that tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
If you get to actually put a button combination in there, the first thing I think I'd try to do is put in some version of the Konami code. :v:

Though, I guess that's hard on a controller that has no B or A buttons. Still, can you put in any other weird button combinations for bonus stuff on there or anything? It seems a little pointless to make you actually put in the button combination if there's only one possible one.

• Locked thread