Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.
Ok so at the moment I'm wondering the most about Sonia. Everyone else has a decipherable superpower (apart from our main character obviously whose superpower hasn't been announced), even Togami now, whose role as super high-school level heir has finally been cleared up in-game as a bunch of good traits for being an heir that he works at. Sonia though says she's just a decoration, she hasn't shown any trait that would make her better than any other princess at anything. That makes me think it's something that isn't directly obvious, like Game of Thrones-style intrigue/political maneuvering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Super High School Level Margaery Tyrell?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dragoon Cody posted:

Ok so at the moment I'm wondering the most about Sonia. Everyone else has a decipherable superpower (apart from our main character obviously whose superpower hasn't been announced), even Togami now, whose role as super high-school level heir has finally been cleared up in-game as a bunch of good traits for being an heir that he works at. Sonia though says she's just a decoration, she hasn't shown any trait that would make her better than any other princess at anything. That makes me think it's something that isn't directly obvious, like Game of Thrones-style intrigue/political maneuvering.
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Sonia is very authoritative/persuasive when she wants to be(typically whenever this pose pops up). Being demure most of the time, but authoritative when it counts, seems like a good set of traits for a princess.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dragoon Cody posted:

Sonia though says she's just a decoration, she hasn't shown any trait that would make her better than any other princess at anything.

I dunno. Actually having the realpolitik to realize that in a modern society royalty are primarily an expensive national mascot easily puts her head-and-shoulders over the average aristocratic brat. You could leverage that kind of insight and her charisma to become a symbol- a moral center for a nation.

On the other hand, the idea of Sonia being all nice on the outside and backstabbing on the inside is pretty appealing- and further reminicent of Celes, which Sonia is already sort of echoing with her wierd Western name and Loltiaish fashion.

On the gripping hand, maybe she's just really good at embodying the virtues of Novoselic, whatever those are. Maybe she's really good at the bass?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
I don't believe that Souda's coconut antics are going to amount to anything, simply because that whole dialogue is optional. The game could've easily told us the same thing in one of the unskippable scenes if it's that important.

This reminds me of the mosquito scene with Chihiro in the first game. Sure, we did learn that the game takes place on Earth, but in the end, the scene was just... there.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Dragoon Cody posted:

she hasn't shown any trait that would make her better than any other princess at anything.

The first time Hinata met her he talked about how spell-binding she was, and just in the last update we saw how she changed the mind of the red-headed girl, who was very very angry, merely with a few lines of dialogue, without making her hate her or even feel that put out. In fact she almost liked her more for not agreeing with what she was very riled up to do. That is definitely not easy and is probably her superpower - persuasion, charm and charisma.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Haifisch posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Sonia is very authoritative/persuasive when she wants to be(typically whenever this pose pops up). Being demure most of the time, but authoritative when it counts, seems like a good set of traits for a princess.
This is true, protag's already commented on her power of persuasion. However, assuming that she's actually as sheltered as she's letting on, she might not know how to use it. Looking at the last time she had that pose...

orenronen posted:

Do as you see fit!

It seems that she wanted the characters to have their own will on the matter. However, she commanded them to have their own will. To me, it looks like someone who has no clue what they're capable of, which can be very dangerous.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SingerOfW posted:

This reminds me of the mosquito scene with Chihiro in the first game. Sure, we did learn that the game takes place on Earth, but in the end, the scene was just... there.

That was a Free Time event, though. The point of it was to establish how Chihiro was so soft-hearted that he literally wouldn't hurt an insect that was drinking his blood.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Twiddy posted:

This is true, protag's already commented on her power of persuasion. However, assuming that she's actually as sheltered as she's letting on, she might not know how to use it. Looking at the last time she had that pose...

It seems that she wanted the characters to have their own will on the matter. However, she commanded them to have their own will. To me, it looks like someone who has no clue what they're capable of, which can be very dangerous.

I'm reading it pretty much the opposite way. Being royalty means living around a royal family her entire life, so she's probably going to be the most adept to managing all of the egos that SHSL skills entail. Defusing the tension between Mahiru and Togami there was a pretty impressive move, and she's the only person so far besides Nagito (I think) to try and actually reconcile clashes that come up instead of either escalating them or staying out entirely.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm reading it pretty much the opposite way. Being royalty means living around a royal family her entire life, so she's probably going to be the most adept to managing all of the egos that SHSL skills entail. Defusing the tension between Mahiru and Togami there was a pretty impressive move, and she's the only person so far besides Nagito (I think) to try and actually reconcile clashes that come up instead of either escalating them or staying out entirely.

I'd be seriously impressed if it turns out that she's been playing Hanamura like a fiddle. Kind of like a Celes/Yamada thing, but with more charisma.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Mersenne posted:

As for Souda, his increasingly scaredy-cat paranoid behavior is rapidly becoming... off-putting. I don't so much see him as the first victim, but as the first murderer. Maybe he wouldn't actually plan on killing anyone, but given Souda's current state of mind I can easily picture him flipping out and killing someone in self-defense. Unfortunately, knowing Monobear, a murder in self-defense would still count as a murder. :smith:

I'm actually starting to get the feeling that he's going to kill someone now, but I don't think it'll be in self-defense either. He seems desperate, and slightly broken mentally. The coconut scene, even though it was optional, does show a little insight into his state of mind. He seems... dangerously unstable, to say the least. Souda basically strikes me as the kind to kill someone to just get it over with and get out because he's terrified of this entire situation and doesn't want to live like this.

Monobear 2.0 is pretty aggressive, but he most likely is a different person though. Someone who is probably a bit more sane than Junko.

As for the optional free events, come to think of it, didn't they usually foreshadow something in DR anyway? I remember that we lucked out with a couple of characters when we learned some new information during an optional scene, and then it popped up in the story shortly after. I don't think, because it's optional, it means it will have little impact. Rather, isn't it usually the optional sequences that lets the player explore more behind the reasons, motivations, and other various factors of the characters that lead to events later down the line? It's a pretty neat way to build some things up without ruining the pace too.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

CrashScreen posted:

As for the optional free events, come to think of it, didn't they usually foreshadow something in DR anyway?
In a couple of cases, yes - in Chihiro's last free time segment, he says he's looking for someone to train with, and if you suggest Mondo, he's very receptive to the idea. (There's also the much subtler clue that the bedsheets in Chihiro's room are blue, instead of pink.)

And of course, the free time segments for "Junko" are full of hints that she may not be exactly who she seems.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

DaveWoo posted:

In a couple of cases, yes - in Chihiro's last free time segment, he says he's looking for someone to train with, and if you suggest Mondo, he's very receptive to the idea.

Actually wasn't it specifically Mondo only? The other choices would just lead back to the multiple choice selection until you picked Mondo so yeah, that free time event was very plot relevant.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
One thing they didn't fully explore in Dangan Ronpa was the possibility of using Monobear as a murder weapon.

Below is all hypothetical:
Somehow set into motion a chain of events that leads to a fellow student being punished by monobear, and then deny culpability until after the court has reasoned that Hiyoko really should have chosen a better place than Monobear's statue on which to vivisect Gundam's hamsters.

Monobear takes the blame, people move on with their lives for a day or so, at which point Hanamura publicly says "Yeah, I set that all in motion. The plan succeeded, Hiyoko's dead. I win"

I would be very interested in seeing how something like that would work out in terms of monobear's "ethics" and set of rules.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Kytrarewn posted:

One thing they didn't fully explore in Dangan Ronpa was the possibility of using Monobear as a murder weapon.

Is it wrong that I thought of using Monobear as a bomb when I first read that? How would that work trial-wise? Is the murderer a student, for causing the explosion, or Monobear, for the actual explosion? Meh, whatever, I'm just pondering an alternative hypothesis.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

Below is all hypothetical:
Somehow set into motion a chain of events that leads to a fellow student being punished by monobear, and then deny culpability until after the court has reasoned that Hiyoko really should have chosen a better place than Monobear's statue on which to vivisect Gundam's hamsters.

Monobear takes the blame, people move on with their lives for a day or so, at which point Hanamura publicly says "Yeah, I set that all in motion. The plan succeeded, Hiyoko's dead. I win"

I would be very interested in seeing how something like that would work out in terms of monobear's "ethics" and set of rules.

Hmm, I'm trying to figure out if that can work. I'm trying to think of the situation where Celes and Yamada worked together. It all comes down to whether she would have been punished along with Yamada if only Ishimaru got killed. Of course, then she murdered Yamada, so there's no way to say one way or another, I guess...

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Suzuki Method posted:

Hmm, I'm trying to figure out if that can work. I'm trying to think of the situation where Celes and Yamada worked together. It all comes down to whether she would have been punished along with Yamada if only Ishimaru got killed. Of course, then she murdered Yamada, so there's no way to say one way or another, I guess...

It was explained that only the active part of the murder counts. So had Celes not killed Yamada, she would not have been let out. Conversely, had she not killed Yamada, she would not be punished, despite the conspiracy.

EDIT: This was explained in trial 1 of DR1.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Oh, okay. So that does technically mean a monobear punishment-assisted murder counts!

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I don't know if I'm remembering properly, but didn't Usami say she was going to provide a "motive", earlier? Was that just the bathing suits, or did she have "motives" similar to DR1?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Suzuki Method posted:

Oh, okay. So that does technically mean a monobear punishment-assisted murder counts!

I'm not sure how you'd execute that, but maybe?

As an example of a failed plan, Sonia convincing Gundam to litter does not count, because the active role was his own. As such, that would be suicide by bear, not Sonia's murder.

Chucking Monobear like a frisbee probably counts, but the tosser would also be up for punishment for breaking the rules in the first place.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Belgaer posted:

I don't know if I'm remembering properly, but didn't Usami say she was going to provide a "motive", earlier? Was that just the bathing suits, or did she have "motives" similar to DR1?

There may have been more "motives" to become friends, but with the hijacking there might not be any more Mono-Usami motives.
(but her motive from before was swimsuits)

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
This game is certainly more ribald than the last one. I like my humor a little blue but Mikan ending up in accidental bondage as a sight gag is pretty :anime: It certainly lends iteslf to the over-the-top nature of the game.

Togami has certainly changed in his role as Battle Royale ringer, and not just because he's goon-sized. Given that, he's probably safe for a minute or likely to die first. I'd bet cash money that there's going to be an eating contest gag between him and Asakura the Gymnast.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

MadRhetoric posted:

I'd bet cash money that there's going to be an eating contest gag between him and Asakura the Gymnast.

And the winner will be Sonia, just because it's funny.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Calling it now, Souda is probably going to kill someone. I mean, he's freaking out about getting murdered, maybe he'll think someone is trying to murder him and murder them in self-defense?

Wait no, that's kind of what happened in the first game. Kind of.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!
Hmmm, the 'bomb' might be a countdown until Monobear reveals something about the characters. Remember that something similar happened in DR1. So the 'bomb' would more of a symbolic thing.

I dunno, it just seems like it can't be the obvious. (Which it will probably turn out being.) Although as one poster pointed out, Monobear did say there was no time-limit.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
For Souda, I wonder if he will become a scapegoat rather than murderer/victim. Maizono was in a similar state and did both in DR1, so it is only fair for the only other option to happen.

Vyxzuw posted:

I dunno, it just seems like it can't be the obvious. (Which it will probably turn out being.) Although as one poster pointed out, Monobear did say there was no time-limit.
He only casually said so in DR2 whereas it is explicitly stated in the student rules for DR1. Added to the fact that Monobear 2.0 does not seem to care about playing fair, one should not trust that as absolute truth.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Gensuki posted:

I'm not sure how you'd execute that, but maybe?

Making another person's rulebreaking look like an unfortunate accident while a bunch of people are also present. Of course, with the security cameras and Monobear's all-seeing ever-appearing presence, he would know what just went down, but if everyone else is absolutely convinced it was an unfortunate rulebreaking and not premeditated by someone else, I highly doubt Monobear would speak up about it. Seems like his kind of craftiness.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm not hugely keen on how creepy this game is so far. Hanamura as a character is one thing, but the first game at least reigned in its fanservice weirdness until later on. Pekoyama and her underwear on top of all of that just rubs me the wrong way. It's so creepy.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

eating only apples posted:

I'm not hugely keen on how creepy this game is so far. Hanamura as a character is one thing, but the first game at least reigned in its fanservice weirdness until later on. Pekoyama and her underwear on top of all of that just rubs me the wrong way. It's so creepy.

Yes it really is. I wonder if the first game sold particularly well to the creepy nerd demographic or something, because it sure seems like they're pandering to it in this game.

I just hope this is a bit of a blip and the game will cut it out soon.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Suzuki Method posted:

Making another person's rulebreaking look like an unfortunate accident while a bunch of people are also present. Of course, with the security cameras and Monobear's all-seeing ever-appearing presence, he would know what just went down, but if everyone else is absolutely convinced it was an unfortunate rulebreaking and not premeditated by someone else, I highly doubt Monobear would speak up about it. Seems like his kind of craftiness.

Still don't think Monobear would count that... Even if someone masterstroked someone else into breaking a rule, it would play out as it did with Junko. Spears fly out, girl dies, no trial. No trial, no escape.

Monobear is not above a sham trial (Sakura) but if there are people around to see the punishment, he won't try to set up a trial like that.
(For the case of Monoluchador, no student stood to benefit from that.)

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Yes it really is. I wonder if the first game sold particularly well to the creepy nerd demographic or something, because it sure seems like they're pandering to it in this game.

I want to say that oren said the game stays fairly consistently fanservice-y throughout, with I think one or two moments that are pretty extreme. So I'd say this is probably about the baseline we should expect, with a few blips of "OH GOD WHY!?" to come.

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

E: ^^^What they said

I'm really interested in seeing how Sonia's character develops. There's something attractive about her power of presence.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I want to say that oren said the game stays fairly consistently fanservice-y throughout, with I think one or two moments that are pretty extreme. So I'd say this is probably about the baseline we should expect, with a few blips of "OH GOD WHY!?" to come.

I think a lot of the people in the thread are blocking out their memories of how creepy and horrible they were when they were 14 year old boys.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
DR1 has exceptionally little fanservice going on for the kind of game it is. I'm guessing they're taking it back to around the normal levels, at least in the beginning.

All the instances of creepiness so far have been ordinary jokes, meant to make you laugh.

Show Me
Jan 6, 2013

...didn't this happen to Linda Blair in the movie Born Innocent right before she's assaulted with a toilet plunger?

Is Super Dangan Ronpa 2 going to turn into an ABC Afterschool Special?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

windylion
Oct 9, 2012

Show Me posted:

...didn't this happen to Linda Blair in the movie Born Innocent right before she's assaulted with a toilet plunger?
Well I'm glad we can all think about this now. Thanks.

I, too, am not pleased with the level of fanservice, but I suppose there's no point in complaining about it. I am wondering, however, where those cables came from. Never mind how she managed to get tangled up in them in the first place; there wasn't any indication of them in the cables in any of the updates. I can't even imagine where they came from, unless the gamer is dragging game cables with her anywhere. And can anyone tell what fell on the ground with her? It looks like a glass, and... chess pieces? I can make out what anything else is, especially what's right next to the glass.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I, too, am creeped out. Just, been feeling really creeped on, you know? Sometimes I think people might think I'm creepy, because of the things I enjoy, but no; no. They are wrong. Anyone who thinks I'm creepy; please know I think this is creepy.

Oh, god, please believe me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

windylion posted:

And can anyone tell what fell on the ground with her? It looks like a glass, and... chess pieces? I can make out what anything else is, especially what's right next to the glass.

I believe the chess pieces are salt and pepper shakers, and the thing next to the glass is a napkin holder.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tarranon posted:

I, too, am creeped out. Just, been feeling really creeped on, you know? Sometimes I think people might think I'm creepy, because of the things I enjoy, but no; no. They are wrong. Anyone who thinks I'm creepy; please know I think this is creepy.

Oh, god, please believe me.

Two things

One: Your post is very redundant.

Two: Stop being so creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

On non-creepy things, I like many ethnocentric Americans sometimes have trouble remembering a whole slew of Japanese names, because they all sound the same to me. So I was coming up with some mnemonic devices to remember them, so that I wouldn't have to wait until half the cast was dead to tell them apart like in the last game. Tsumiki is my least favorite character because she never stops crying, but you can kind of picture those syllables as the sounds someone makes when they're weeping. Souda likes Soda, there's "Never say die" Nidai. There's an "Ooookay" in the middle of Hyoko's name, and so on. But I can't think of anything for a lot of them, and am not remmebering their names and have to go back and look whenever it comes up in discussion.

• Locked thread