Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Especially after reading that last DR0 update, I think there may be even more of a time gap than we think there is between DR2 and the one we know there is during the mindwipe in DR1.

Speculation timeline.

- Some time before DR0: Hope's Peak opens prep school for funding purposes
- DR0 things happen
- End of DR0: In an attempt to placate the prep school, they hold the lottery for all of Japan. Naegi is chosen instead.
- DR1 happens
- The survivors go on to reinstate Hope throughout the world. This includes restoring Hope's Peak to its original purpose, complete with the prep school because they really need funding these days. Lottery continues and each winner is SHSL Good Luck.
- Enough time passes that the events of DR1 seem to this current group like WWI to our generation -- a horrible thing, but something that could never happen again. Thus someone knowing about wanting people to kill each other but the overall forced hope atmosphere. Nobody wants that to happen again. It makes Hinata a current prep school student, talentless lottery winner, and the current Togami some descendent and namesake of DR1's.

I can't speculate more from the little of DR2 we've been shown, of course, but I'll probably revise this timeline if it holds up over the LP and novel translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Duchess Shrimp posted:

This sounds plausible, but since DR0 opens with Junko (apparently) planning the despair incident, wouldn't Naegi already be enrolled then, since they were classmates?

I've read a lot of American stuff (random suspense/thrillers) that start with a scene in the reader's present, jump to the past and tell things to explain how we got to where we are now, and continue from there. Or start in the past, jump to the most distant past, and resume in the set past. So it wouldn't be too unreasonable for the beginning to still be the past. I'd brainfogged on the start, so thank you for the reminder.

That means the end of DR0 and the memory wiped events of DR1 are actually blurred together, and the timeline needs to be changed just a little. The first version was tossed together in a nervous hurry. I'll revise it when I have time next.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Souda and Nidai for me because I'm worried about the first and alawys happier to hear from the latter.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

At this point, I really can't wait to see how much stuff the trial reveals to pull all of this together.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread