Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I am SO EXCITED to be reading this thread from the start. I read the old one after the game had already been finished. One update in and this is already great. I really want to hear what chefdude's voice sounds like. The first thing I noticed with the character portraits was this pose:

I'm still not sure what that's even supposed to be, but there sure are a LOT of parallels to the original cast.

Also, it's a shame the whole thing has to take place during the End of Evangelion.

orenronen posted:

ysalwaysalwaysMeMyselfconsciousNonIndividualityembarrassinguniformityjustwhatHopeI

talent▲individualitybrokenPprobably■finallyIalways○DdomyBestmydreamcomestrue~+i*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

The protagonist is the one playing DR2 on his PSP and we're merely observing him.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Saeku posted:

Hajime is Japanese for "The Beginning" and Owari is Japanese for "The End." I'm curious where they're going with this one.

Yamada didn't die, he just split into two lesser beings.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Does anyone have links or a page that has all of the DR1 portraits for each character? I'd like to see some of them but there's no way I can remember which ones were in which update. Preferably somewhere that doesn't spoil DR2, of course.

Also, Nagito is WAY too obvious, and that makes him suspicious. I bet he ends up being used as a way to make the player despair, perhaps through death or betrayal, because all of this stuff is pretty much meaningless to the rest of the cast (except Fatogami).

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

So all of the SHSL skills that we've seen so far seem to be perfectly geared towards survival in an unknown environment- having someone who can interact with potentially dangerous wild animals would be incredibly useful, even if he's an insane narcissist. A guy who can repair almost anything is obviously helpful, and even having good luck (assuming we can take that as actually being not-Naegi's SHSL skill) is going to dramatically raise your chances of survival. Based on this, I'm guessing that every one of the remaining SHSL skills are things that would be useful in this situation. It seems like the group of people may have been more deliberately chosen than DR1's random group of people.

Also, I'm kinda hoping we see a Metal Gear reference at some point, considering we have a ninja hamster named Gray Fox.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

What if the memory research was to find a way for people to forget The Most Despair Inducing Event in the History of Mankind? Our narrator could easily have forgotten about it, and no one else around seemed very chipper.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Saradiart posted:

e: Also, wow, that really highlights how much crisper DR2 is than the first game! The graphics are a lot clearer. Is that due to some sort of new screen capture software, oren, or just better visuals?

The Junko image is during a trial, where the images are scaled and rotated by the PSP hardware, while the DR2 image is just a static sprite being drawn exactly as-is. It'll probably look about the same once we're in trial mode.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

This is the most ridiculous character art yet. Everyone else's is striking some pose and here she's just OH poo poo I SLIPPED SYRINGES EVERYWHERE- MY SOCK!?!? No wonder she's bandaged up.

Anyways, I like Hinata a lot. He manages to have more personality than Naegi did. Nagito continues to somehow be even more suspicious here. I mean really:

orenronen posted:

It looks like we won't have to worry about food and supplies, at least for now.
What do you mean, “at least for now”?
I...It's just a figure of speech.

Just think... even a little cut could slowly get more and more infected, until you die... all because you offended Tsumiki-san.

I really want to see what they do with him, but I think it's pretty dang clear that he isn't Naegi. The more we see of him, the more his personality completely diverges.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

orenronen posted:

My insistence finally paid off. “...You don’t often see someone possessing such a superb, brain-intensive talent as you do affected by memory loss. That’s why you’re such a rare case.”

“...Talent? Brain-intensive?” Nothing came to my mind.

“It’s fine if you don’t remember it... It was really irritating when you used that talent of yours. I’m warning you - don’t ever try to use it on me. You got that, dung-beetle?”

This seems to imply that her talent is something dangerous or exploitable, like ESP. In fact, could this be Maizono (or related to her)? She did have that "I can read minds!" thing going on. Might be far fetched, though. Mostly, though, it seems like it could be beneficial to a lot of people that she forgot what her talent was- maybe Hinata is a similar case? His talent might be a dangerous / exploitable one for whoever is running the despair hope island thing. I think Hinata making it in through the prep school seems more likely, though.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Foodgoon is going to be great when we see him try to interact with some of the more aggressive characters. Sonia seems like a nice character to balance out some of the more intense ones, and Nagito is growing on me more and more. Between this and his wife comment towards Mahiru, I like his sense of humor and really want to see what his place is in the story.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

She's obviously an SHSL Devil Summoner. She'll team up with Mahiru and murder everyone with a Jack Frost.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Do it to Julia!"

Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of Hinata's nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Monobear.

Well poo poo, looks like someone is framing SHSL Memory for murder. Although, how would someone like her manage to hang a dude on her own?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Something no one has pointed out yet- Monobear shows up almost immediately after half of our cast goes off camera where we can't account for them. If one of our students is controlling him like last time, I'd bet it's one of the ones that don't stay behind.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

That was absolutely amazing- I can't wait for the proper game to start, now. I just want to say, though- I don't think we should tear the opening video apart too much. When you're actually playing it, it just flashes by and the game continues, but with the format of the LP it's really easy to over analyze any tiny piece of info we get. I don't want things to get spoiled just because they showed up in the intro too fast for anyone to notice on their first view. Stuff like that happened with DR1 and I know I'd personally rather not have that happen again.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

If nothing else, it means he's probably not a robot.

:effort:

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Does anyone have a link to the "Did DR2 update" twitter?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

orenronen posted:

This is all-you-can-eat murder with no time limit. A buffet of murder. An amusement park of killing.

No time limit, eh? That bomb looks like it has something to say about that. Maybe it's triggered by something else?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

We didn't hear much from Nagito during these startling developments, and Nidai could give us some well-needed spirit.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure he just died there, guys. A shelf full of filled paint cans is pretty drat heavy, and the last sentence sure makes it sound like it.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

lotus circle posted:

I think it's more that "carrion" is a less common word to describe corpses than "cadavers" are. I don't think carrion is even a word most native speakers would recognizes off the bat because the two words used most often are "corpses" and "cadavers".

When I read carrion the first thing I thought of was a vulture eating a corpse, but maybe I've played too much Snake Eater.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Gensuki posted:

Hinata, what are you so happy about :raise:

Sindai posted:

I think that in Japanese referring to yourself in the third person is just something small children and anime girls being cutesy do. I don't think any of the characters in K-on do it, but then none of them dress like Ibuki either.

For what it's worth, Nanako does this in the Persona 4 animation.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Isn't the obvious answer that Matsuda is the reason she can't remember anything? Working on a sculpture for a month definitely requires a working memory.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Armanky posted:

Yes, so he can kill everybody except Kuzuryuu, who will immediately know who the culprit is and is much more experienced with murder than Hanamura.

That said, it IS entirely possible that somebody HAS poisoned the food. If Togami drops dead after chowing down just now, Hanamura would immediately be suspected for obvious reasons. I could see the first trial going down like that.

I think Hinata would be just as suspect- we just left everyone else to be alone with Togami in a room full of more potential weapons, and running out to tell everyone else "He's dead, guys!" is a lovely spot to be in.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

A summary of notable things so far:

-A skewer is missing and Hanamura claims it was already gone when he arrived. The only person to be in here earlier was Nagito.
-Gundam dropped an earring
-The wooden floors have large cracks
-Nagito discouraged people from being around the storage room
-The bathroom is locked, potentially with someone inside
-Togami said he can't let the second case leave his sight. The lights went out for a while, so it did.
-Chaiki, Peko, and Kuzuryu are MIA. All three of them left voluntarily.
-Peko was the last person to see Kuzuryu and be in the room with the breaker / weapons
-Cameras are obviously visible in the room, so it's not a leap to say Monobear / Monomi knows this is happening.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

That investigation music is groovy :pervert:

Something I haven't seen anyone mention- Mikan seems really suspicious here, to me. She's the first thing everyone notices when the lights come back on, and she's mysteriously spilled her rear end all over the ground. What if she was like that because she had just emerged from under the floorboards and tried to pull attention away from that? I mean, she managed to pull some food with her, so maybe she was crawling out from under a table? She said she got her foot stuck on the carpet, but there could have been some loose boards underneath there or something. She also seems like exactly the type that would panic and stab Togami 8(?) times instead of doing it cleanly. It's the only way I can think that that stupid pose is relevant to the case at all.

E: Also:

Falls Down Stairs posted:

:crossarms:

Nagito, what the hell? There's being an astute reader of character, but what the hell about Hinata says that? We know it's the case having had private access to his thoughts, but he hasn't been forthcoming about it to anyone else far as I can see (I did a quick ctrl-f for "Hope's Peak" over the old updates. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

Yeah, that's really strange to me. I'm pretty sure Hinata hasn't said a thing about that to anyone, and Nagito specifically mentioned he didn't remember Hinata from the web research he did. Something is fishy with that.

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 27, 2013

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Could someone draw on the map where the fire doors are? I'm having trouble visualizing it.

E:

All I can see are the 3 main doors between the kitchen and hall, but how would you get into the kitchen otherwise if those are the fire doors?

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 3, 2013

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

orenronen posted:

Bah. There aren't even any Hidden Monobears here. Back to the corridor, and we can finally go to our actual destination.

Also: Check this out, this is right after Hinata arrived at the party and got body checked by Togami. The irons are unplugged. Hmm...

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

For what it's worth, FF VIII is the first game I thought of as well. I really like having Nagito as our investigation partner- it feels like a buddy cop setup with both DR protagonists (I know he might not be Naegi, but the investigation feels kinda like that). I also like that the game still hasn't made it totally obvious who the culprit is. While some people are more suspicious than others, it isn't like 11307 where everyone knew who it was after the first update. Really looking forward to the trial here.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

asymmetrical posted:

Ugh I'm so sick of Kuzuryuu's attitude. It's not funny, it's not interesting, it doesn't enlighten his personality, it doesn't contribute to the plot. What is his deal? :argh:

He's an rear end in a top hat and thinks he's above interacting with the other students. I think that fits him just fine, although I do hope he sticks around long enough to get some good character development.

E: Also, Nagito knowing he can just call Monobear and ask for investigation favors is another strange thing about him. I don't want to keep throwing baseless theories around but I really want to know how they explain him.

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 5, 2013

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Slowbeef and VoidBurger, that was amazing, please do more. It's the exact kind of stuff that got me on SA in the first place and I can't believe so many people are getting their panties in a bunch over it. This thread is usually an echo chamber of the same two theories over and over, with occasional derails about anime periods, so having something original to read here is already a huge breath of fresh air. The more original content, regardless of its source, the better.

Also, oren or HelloWinter, is there anyway to just get one long video per trial update? I usually watch these on my phone and it'd make it a lot easer than scrolling through a ton of slowly loading images to find six different links to minute long videos. If not, no worries, just a suggestion.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Earlier in the thread some people came up with plausible audio cues for every single character, so I wouldn't take the existence of audio spoilers as a spoiler itself. That said, it's probably best to not speculate on it anymore. Let's just look forward to Monobear gettin' his execution on pretty soon.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

That execution was definitely not what I was expecting, but I'm kind of relieved. When we saw the Monocopter in the opening video, I thought for sure it had to be an execution for Souda. Glad that we've seen that clip and are back to a clean slate as far as what happens next. Also, drat Monobear, ignoring Hanamura was cold.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

For what it's worth, Alter Ego communicated with them just fine. It didn't take time to process speech or anything, so saying that Nanami is a robot because of her speech patterns is kind of :effort:

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Dragoon Cody posted:

Sonia has an obsession with serial killers and gushes about one who wears masks to kill people, and she has a full body wetsuit that covers up any blood or other marks, and arrived later than everyone else to the diner. If she continues wearing the wetsuit into the investigation/trial I'll be very suspicious, because for everyone else if they discarded clothes covered in blood they could be found and identified, but Sonia has a way to keep it hidden.

Are you implying that she's wearing a wetsuit OVER her usual getup...?

Apollove posted:

So could that mask be related to Kirakira in any way? Considering that well, sonia said kirakira wore masks of children's superheroes or something

That has some interesting implications- Kirakira is a vigilante that murders other criminals. With the obvious parallels in the Twilight Syndrome game on top of that, it's looking more and more like Koizumi has some skeletons in her closet. That, or the mask has nothing to do with the real Kirakira, but I kind of doubt DR would do the "mimicing a serial killer" angle twice. It's avoided duplicating scenarios like that really well so far, so I don't think that'll be the case.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

You'd also think that teenagers would know that they were suddenly a few years older, too, but some things just get overlooked.

Some of the students noticed this in DR1. Monobear is asked on more than one occasion what he did to their bodies.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Nafleky posted:

I'm a bit slow on update fanart but I laughed for about a million years at Logical Dive and had to draw it? When my wrist feels better I'll probably draw crazy Peko Peko because that's hilarious to me as well.

You are a wonderful human being. Also, about everyone thinking it's dumb that the game used the same twist again:

orenronen posted:

Or, in other words... that one of us is a serial killer?
That sounds like a plot twist from some kind of weird game or something...

There's no way they're playing this straight twice in a row. Between this and Peko having Sonia recite the exact catchphrases that Kirakira uses to her, I think it's pretty obvious that there's more going on here. Calm down and enjoy the animes.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I really hope it was Kuzuryuu and not Peko who was the murderer, because then we get to see everyone wondering what the gently caress is wrong with Peko for pretending to be Kirakira. It's like the complete antithesis of the Syo reveal and I love it.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I am sort of agnostic if she really is the serial killer or is just using it as a front to protect Kuzuryuu, but that last part was just amazing. I am outing myself as a Sailor Moon fan, and unsurprisingly she hits the tone perfectly. Her voice acting and the animation strongly reminded me of Sailor Moon using her "In the name of the moon, I will punish you" speech. I suspect this is the creators of the game paying homage to one really good manga/anime.

Just a question, we still don't know one of the persons finding the body, right?

There's a reason for that:

orenronen posted:

Peko Pekoyama ( 辺古山ペコ ) is played by Kotono Mitsuishi, one of the legendary voice actresses of the '90s. Among her better known roles are Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon (in, well, Sailor Moon) and Misato Katsuragi (in the Evangelion franchise), although my own personal favorite has always been Excel in Excel Saga. Trivia: Mitsuishi is one of two actors in this game that script writer Kodaka asked for specifically.

And yeah, we're still one discoverer short.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah I could definitely see Bugs Bunny working- it's probably the closest timbre to his Japanese voice, too. Or Teddie, but that wouldn't have the same cultural impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah, can we just not discuss anime sexuality? This thread, loving hell. Anyways, I'm curious to see how the execution plays out- both in how it's done and the final ruling of Pekoyama or Kuzuryuu. Monobear has been pretty consistent with DR1 so far, but at the end of the day we still don't know who / what's behind him and what the motive is this time around. If there's a difference, there's a good chance we're about to find out.

• Locked thread