Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
And here I thought Crackers were the "authorized" types of Hackers. Basically they're hired by companies to purposely try to break into their systems to find out holes in security and such. I could see Chihiro doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Just a guess at this point, but I'm starting to think Ryouko's talent is copying other people. Like a SHSL Mimic or something.
SHSL Fast Learner, maybe? That could explain why she has such a horrible memory - she's naturally inclined to have enough free "mental space" to pick up things that could be useful. So Junko having her write it down allows her to study it both visually and in text and learn it. I dunno, maybe it's all baseless conjecture on my end. Plus, that wouldn't quite explain why her Long-Term Memory is so bad when a SHSL Fast Learner would most likely just have bad Short Term tops. If at all.

Either way, I'm actually kind of curious what her SHSL ability actually is.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Is it odd that I'm not really surprised about who the first murder victim is?

... Unless this is some sort of fake-out and he's just wounded and not dead. This IS Dangan after all, but that's probably pretty unlikely. End of chapter and all that.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

I just noticed something. There's a bit of green streamer or something underneath the table, and some green on the knife. I'm guessing that it was used to conceal the weapon under the table... which doesn't look good for a certain individual that was setting everything up for the party.

And, it should be noted that a skewer was missing in the sweep of the kitchen... so the murder weapon might not be the kitchen knife.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

orenronen posted:

I want to talk a little bit about the downside of this being a screenshot LP.

You see, when I first played the game, I was pretty stumped until quite a late stage. I had no idea who was the murderer until just a few minutes before the reveal. I know that's also the case for many others who played the game.

The reason for this is simple: the game pulls out quite a clever psychological trick on you. You see, Hanamura's plan works pretty well - by hearing his voice loud and clear in the blackout scene, I was convinced he was also in the scene that immediately followed. I actually had false memories of lines from him. It helped that the scene immediately following the blackout is short, of course, and also that the player is quite anxious about a murder they know is coming. It also helps that the scene never comes up in flashbacks later. I think Sonia's line in this update is meant to reflect the player's thoughts, and the entire thing is executed perfectly for it to work.

Except it doesn't work in this screenshot medium, of course - people rereading the update understood very quickly that Hanamura was nowhere to be found in that scene, which pointed the suspicion toward him from the very beginning. That also made all the rest of the evidence pointing to him so much more obvious. It utterly breaks the clever misdirection the game constructs.

Now, this was also a problem in the previous thread, of course, and I knew it was coming. But it's also an especially sad example of the problem.

To add onto your thoughts, oren, I think there's two other things - which were probably also mentioned before - that the screenshot LP format does. For one, the posts themselves give tangible lines and pictures that everyone can go back and look at, rather than having to rely solely on your memory as a player - I've had similar issues in the Phoenix Wright games, for example, missing a vital clue just because I forgot it was there. On top of that, the spacing between updates gives plenty of time for folks to go back over the clues, not only to refresh their memories, but to start getting ideas and noting inconsistencies.

Nature of the beast with a screenshot murder mystery LP, I'm sure.

EDIT:

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, this is always a shame, it's the same deal with any mystery game really. It's also exactly why I don't read any speculation, it'd probably kill the whole LP for me because when you have this many people analyzing everything the only thing that can really surprise anyone are things impossible to predict based on past stuff.
Same, I basically just scroll through looking for updates and fanart.

Kobold fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 9, 2013

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

I don't know why, but I started jumping to a lot of conclusions with that game. Someone (possibly Koizumi) took the pictures and got them torn up - first jump: the person who tore the pictures apart might've been the killer and didn't want any potential evidence there. Then it jumps to that person being dead - next jump: driven to suicide by the guilt/voice.

So I ended up with this mental story of this E-ko girl killing this victim, possibly on accident, and wanting to try and keep it hidden. Days 2 and 3 then "probably" involve one of the girls gathering up the pieces and putting them together and figuring out the truth. She confronts E-ko, or E-ko finds out that the pieces have been recovered and starts assuming the worst. It gets to be too much so she bashes herself in the head with the bat.

Of course, in this idea, there's the possibility that the person on the island now isn't the photographer but the person who couldn't let the matter lie and put the pieces back together.

It's weird what kind of narrative one's mind can create.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

HGH posted:

She seems really intent on keeping them on the islands, or at the very least that's what her dialogue seems to suggest. Pretty much everyone's opposed to that idea considering the current situation and the fact she brought them there without being prompted.
That we know of, anyway. I may be misremembering... but in the original, it turned out that the group had given their okay to the process before the mind-wipe? I'm not suggesting that's happening again here, but there is a precedence - if my memory isn't messing with me, of course.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Cornwind Evil posted:

raises way too many questions about diminished capacity
Reading this part here, I had an odd thought. Tsumiki's taking care of the infected. So, if one of them dies under her care... I wonder if Monobear is willing to construe that as killing them. It's her job to ensure they survive, so if they don't, might he say that it's her fault? Seems like a stretch, sure, but something I thought might be worth bringing up.

... Or potentially Tsumiki could fake a murder to cover up the fact she failed her duties. She's finally in a position where she can do something and people are seemingly encouraging her. She could be afraid of that fact and then make it look like a murder instead to save face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Anatharon posted:

I dunno what I'd call Dangan Ronpa, really.
A traumady.

• Locked thread