Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
A couple people have noticed that Chef is about the same size and has the same type of eyes as Monobear and are speculating that Chef is Monobear with a human disguise. I'm going to go the other way...the final Monobear from DR1 was actually Chef in disguise, and he will turn out to be the new mastermind.

This won't violate the rule about no one other than the 16 students entering the school because he only entered for the last trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TKMobile posted:

While I can't comment on its validity, if the anagram is intentional, it probably wouldn't be as readily noticeable to a Japanese speaker opposed to an English one, especially since the names are first revealed *in* English.

Huh? They're clearly Japanese in the video, with the English names edited in.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'm guessing Togami was going to say that the real islands got flooded or something and don't exist anymore, further supporting them being inside a simulation.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Zest posted:

I thought the first death was Enoshima/Mukuro due to excessive perforation :confused:

No, Mukuro got killed second.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Togami and Nagito for the obvious reason.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
oren and Fedule: When Hinata doesn't understand the word "tomfoolery" is that because Sonia actually said something wrong? It came across to me as Hinata being a bit illiterate for not having heard that word before.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
While I'm leaning towards Hanamura, Nidai is a bit suspicious. Why would he be so desperate to use the bathroom if he's not one of the two who ate the diarrhea food?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Joenen posted:

I just don't think Pekoyama was poisoned. We haven't received any actual hints of poison. It was confirmed that Togami wasn't poisoned despite probably having scarfed as much food as Owari if not more.

I know Joenen can't respond, but this is wrong. Togami only scarfed the food that was on the skewers so he could confiscate them, and we have an evidence bullet about the large chunk of meat saying that only Owari and Pekoyama ate it. We also haven't talked to Owari since the start of the investigation, so we don't know that she wasn't affected.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Vyxzuw posted:

Also, the bathroom is still locked even though we found Peko in the office later. That's why when we see her in the office, we tell her to go to her hotel and not the bathroom. So it seems the bathroom is locked without anyone in it.

Nidai wasn't sick. He just had to take a crap.

Owari (who may also be sick) and Nidai are now missing though. One of them could've gone in the bathroom after Pekoyama left.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Personally I'm amazed how many people in the thread think we're supposed to be voting.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

That tablecloth in the storeroom is the one thing that I'm still not sure where it fits in. It's a bloody enigma.

The best theory I've seen is that the killer had it with him underneath the floorboards to keep blood from dripping on his clothes, which fits the theory that the killer went underneath from the storage room.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

The fanservice shot is there to prove that Hanamura wasn't in the room and is the culprit. Its going to be the final trump card - because he said nothing.

Why would we need to prove Hanamura wasn't in the room when the lights came back on? Everyone could clearly see he wasn't in the room at that time.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Because during the blackout his voice was heard clearly, as though he was in the main party room instead of the kitchen, where he was supposed to be when the blackout happened.

So? Hanamura wouldn't have been able to see anything during the blackout whether or not he was in the party room. The earliest he could say something about the fanservice is when the lights came on, and he clearly wasn't in the room then. The lack of a fanservice comment doesn't prove anything.

Edit: Actually I think it's going to be used to prove the opposite. Hanamura's going to make one of his comments later in the trial, and the only way he could know about what happened is that he was still underneath the floorboards when the lights came on, as opposed to being in the kitchen.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 23, 2013

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

NiceAaron posted:

Actually, he would be entirely blind when it comes to knowing where to stab, because there was a carpet covering the floor; although he could easily stab through the cracks in the floorboards, he couldn't actually see through them.

In fact, the area under the floorboards would probably be totally unaffected by the blackout - it would be dark either way. Hanamura would need some way to navigate under the floorboards to the correct position (which shouldn't be too hard - one possibility could be that he had a flashlight and that he placed some sort of marker through the carpet ahead of time when he first noticed the knife).

The death table is outside the area of the carpet, so he could see fine.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

I just realized something, guys. We've all assumed that the missing skewer was missing because someone hid it to murder with... what if that's not the case? What if the skewer, like the devildog earring, fell through the crack? Li'l dumpy crawls under the floor during the party, maybe for peeking up girl's skirt, maybe to look for the skewer, maybe because he's psychic. Either way, he finds the skewer, and the lights go out. Notices the glow through the cracks of the floor, sees the knife, and takes the opportunity to get his stab on. ditches the skewer, runs for the storage room, and hopes that nobody figures out what really happened.

No, the skewer was missing before the party began, and Hanamura said he didn't know what happened to it. If he had already dropped it and wasn't planning to murder with it he would've just said it dropped through the cracks.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

NextTime000 posted:

it only looks like the building with only the red portion on it, as in, the upper floors in the 2nd picture are not on this ruined building. I went back and checked after the last update

compaired to

however, this could mean DR1's hope's peak was a recreation of the real one, and this really is the FUTURE

I think it's just farther away in the first picture (and therefore smaller). I can definitely see the whole building there.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
It's a lot easier to figure out where the next murder will be when only one new area is in 3D.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Quick heads up: Someone recently posted a video of all the executions and deaths on Youtube, so ANYTHING Dangan Ronpa related, even just music from the first game, might have that as a related video, so avoid it.

While it's a good idea to avoid related videos, is the actual thumbnail or title spoilery? I doubt anyone's going to click something labelled "DR2 executions" or whatever.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

geri_khan posted:

I've seen a thumbnail, though I did not watch it. Title and thumbnail were definitely spoilery.

In that case, the best thing to do is get an add-on or something to hide related youtube videos in general. Even watching a bunch of oren's trial videos on polsy will get you DR related videos next time you go to youtube to watch anything.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Meirlkor posted:

I think this is a great idea. It might lead to some unusual choices when the tumblr crowd doesn't read the end of the update and they all vote for the people they want to see (and complain when they end up being not chosen because they got voted for), but I'm pretty sure it'd end up fine and the cheating, if not less prevalent, would probably have less impact.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the "cheating" were people who voted for an extra person in case Nagito was unavailable. It's not that big a deal.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Kay Kessler posted:

I honestly don't understand why anyone would waste one of their votes for a character who is obviously not gonna be available. What, did you think you and Nagito could hang out while he's bound and gagged? Remember, a minimum of 2 characters die each chapter. What if Nidai dies next? Or Koizumi? They'd die without a single free time event because a bunch of people "wanted to see what happened" if you tried to talk to an incapacitated guy.

Voting for Nagito didn't prevent us from having free time with 2 people, plus one of my favorite moments in the DR1 LP was Naegi trying to spend free time with Syo.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
How about we stop the voting here so we don't have pages and pages of votes for spoiling the pet? I think it won, and there's a reason free-time votes were moved to an offsite poll.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'm assuming this game's "motive" is going to be some secret about Hope's Peak Academy, so I hope Hinata's the one to use it. It will probably be someone else and the secret won't get revealed until the end of the next trial though.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

2olluxcraptor posted:

I like Saionji; she's pretty different from everyone else in the sense that she's kind of like an antagonist, but doesn't physically hurt anyone. Before anyone argues that she has no personality/is one dimensional, so is pretty much every character so far. We haven't had a chance to learn about Saionji enough. The overexposure of Nanami's free time events and we've barely learned anything about her. Maybe if characters like Owari and Saionji had a free time event, people would like them more. :shrug:

I don't think so. Going by the DR1 free time events I think we've gotten the usual amount of info from two events. All the really important stuff for everyone will be in the main story.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Fedule posted:

I would like to make a point of order here: we have a precedent for this in Chapter 2 of the first game. Exactly three people had seen Chihiro's body when the announcement went off: Mondo (the murderer), Togami (on two occasions) and Naegi. So, the murderer counts as a person "discovering" the body, and (of course) one person can't "discover" the body on two occasions.

"Discover" is a misleading word to use in the rules. Then again, Monobear.

You should check again. The body announcement didn't go off until Ishimaru entered the locker room.

Edit: Of course someone else posts that while I'm double checking the DR1 thread....

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

BottledBacon posted:

I guess, or maybe you could swim....

AAAAAAHHH :supaburn:

The quote in your post is talking about boys. Last I checked Pekoyama is a girl.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

LordNagash posted:

How many loving times do people have to be told this? If you don't want to be spoiled, don't search for Dangan Ronpa anywhere. We've had dozens of people make this exact same post and yet people still keep doing it.

It's a good reminder since the anime has started airing and people will probably try looking for it.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I just wanted to point out that we only know from DR1 that the murderer doesn't "discover" the body right after the killing. It's still possible that Monobear would count him if he leaves and returns to the crime scene later. I'm sure the game will have Monobear clarify the rule if it's ever important though.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Wyvernil posted:

It might just be the first game being localized, though - I'm hearing a few rumors to that effect. Presumably they'll release the second game as well if the first sells well enough.

If it's just the first game being released, then would that mean the translation of the second will continue? If both are being released, I'm guessing the LP is going on hiatus until the English release, and will continue using the official localization.

SHSL Translation is the romhack localization of the first game that they were working on, not this LP.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

It might run afoul of the three-month rule, since the game hasn't been out for three months yet. I figure that's down to the mods' discretion.

That doesn't apply because onenronen's getting all his content from the Japanese version which has been out a lot longer than that. The only way I can see that rule even remotely applying is if he delays finishing DR1 until right after the localization comes out, then gets lazy and copies their translation.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On the bright side, at least the spoiler banners didn't discuss any murders.

At least for now...who knows what the next batch of DR ads will include.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'm just going to assume the pervert they're all talking about is Hanamura, because why not?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Facetious Jim posted:

The only motive I can find in the game would be for Koizumi to kill Kuzuryuu, not the other way around. When you think about it, Koizumi and E-Ko were good enough friends to where Koizumi would cover up E-ko murdering someone else without even batting an eye. The game would have been the only way she could have deduced who the murderer of E-ko was since she has no memories of that event (presumably). Koizumi was also on the bridge to the park when Hinata left to go play the game the first night 'taking photographs of the ocean' and could have easily played the game before or after Hinata did.

I'm thinking the game is one big red herring or is only tangentially related to the murder, or Koizumi tried to kill Kuzuryuu and something backfired on her.

The game itself is iffy on some points too; the murder evidence (The broken vase) that implicates E-ko murdering the unnamed victim is in the classroom next to the music room. The victim's body was found in the music room itself. Was she killed in the music room or moved there? The music room was also locked when the group got there, and the only way in was through the door that the group came through in. That being the case, how did E-ko leave the music room and lock it? The key for the door was in the teacher's lounge where E-ko said it was, so she couldn't have had the key on her at the time. Lastly, what made the head-wound found on the victim's body? Was it the aquarium, the vase, or something else entirely?

And of course, how is the missing swimsuit even relevant?

The way I understood it, E-ko committed the murder ahead of time and escaped through the window maybe the night before (or she had the key at the time). She then smashed the vase in the next room to give herself an alibi, since a killer wouldn't have had time to go back inside and get outside the music room before anyone showed up.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

zetsubous posted:

Have we ever had an evidence bullet that was completely irrelevant, though? Jesus, even that stupid fanservice thing with Mikan ended up being relevant.

They don't need to be directly relevant to the real-life murder to be used in the trial. All there needs to be is a non-stop debate about what happened in the game.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Oliver Crowley posted:

In that chapter, Monobear woke everyone up individually in the morning since the murder took place late at night. He specifically says he did this to "stir things up".

That wasn't the actual body discovery announcement though. The announcement was right after Ishimaru walked in on Togami and Naegi in the locker room.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
It seems to me that Victim #1 (the sister) looks suspiciously similar to Sonia, though none of the characters comment on this so maybe it's just an art thing.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

V!ntar posted:

This is beautiful and you are beautiful.

On that note, is it kosher to screencap updates and post them somewhere else? Because I'm surprised that hasn't happened by now

Oren authorized people to make a mirror not that long ago, then this one got linked here.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

Edit: actually on-topic: The VR hypothesis does seem to have gained some ground here, but I too worry that it's a cheat. The thing that gives the story its weight is the fact that high school students are actually murdering each other here. If you introduce the possibility that the murders might not be real, it seriously damages the narrative.

VR doesn't necessarily mean they're not really murdering each other. It could be a situation similar to the Star Trek holodeck (when it malfunctions), or the Matrix.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

CandyCrazy posted:

Ishimaru, Kirigiri, Togami, Fukawa and Hagakure had some of their events shown, but not all the way through to completion. Syo had events, and got none of them were shown.

I'm pretty sure Syo doesn't have her own set of events, just funny dialogue if you try to spend free time with her. I may be wrong though.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Little_wh0re posted:

The Sonia arguement doesn't work because changing is not allowed in the beech hut.

Putting on a wetsuit to cover up a bloody swimsuit or whatever isn't "changing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

I feel like if you were just squishing around with a ton of blood on you but covered up by a wetsuit, Akane's werewolf nose would pick it up.

Peko being wet because of using the water bottles to rinse off the blood is simpler and fits.

Well no, in the Sonia theory she probably would've washed off most of the blood with the water bottles first. The wetsuit would just cover up leftover stains/the wet swimsuit. There isn't any good reason for the killer to get blood on their head and need to wash that off.

Also, the Peko theory requires her to make up a far-fetched (because they're not theorizing VR or whatever) story about trying to swim to the other islands and failing. Why didn't she just say she was swimming around for the exercise?

• Locked thread