Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Well, let's hope this game doesn't have as lovely an ending as the first one. And maybe actually has some decent gameplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Alright, calling it now. Hypnosis is at the core of this, or else there's some sort of perception filter going on--our main character isn't necessarilly seeing what is actually there, but rather his impression of it. He sees Togami as fat not because Togami is actually fat, but because for some reason that's how he best perceives him.

Hrmm...

ALthough...

It could just be that Togami had a brother with the same name? Ugh...Dangan Ronpa...!

EDIT: Oh wait, duh. It's his son. Byakyu Togami the Second.

Nagito is Naegi and Kirigiri's child. This game takes place 20 odd years later. Hope and Despair are battling each other in the post-Event world, and this island is yet another staging ground for a metaphorical debate amongst the emotions.

There, solved it. Best detective, right here. Give me my cookie.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
So my theory is that the game isn't the same as last time. Usagi is like, some kind of schizo creature, and taht schism passes into the kids somehow. Like, instead of just murdering each other to graduate, it'll be like, kids will get swept up in Despair and kill somebody in order to create more of it. So kids will take sides, Hope or Despair, and start killing each other off to further the goals of one side or the other.

Like Anime Assassin's Creed, I guess.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Nagito has Kirigiri's hair color. SUSPICIOUS.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I'm thinking Souda will die first. His talent is really useful, and as such would be most ideal when people want to escape. Killing the mechanic creates such sweet despair! Upupupupupu~!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

tsundair posted:

Man, this artist really likes to make peoples' legs and thighs ginormous. I mean, look at them! These people have to be at least seven feet tall.

The way the neurologist is drawn makes me feel like I'm looking at some kind of foot fetishist's pin-up poster. :gonk:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
It's bad to say this, but I really hope the Nurse dies first, because her whole gimmick is already wearing me ragged.

Although, if she DOES stick around, I'm going to favor her as a likely killer candidate as well--a nurse would have plenty of knowledge and likely access to tools to kill somebody discretely. Underneath all those tears and fears may be a psycho killer. Qu'est Que C'est.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

DaveWoo posted:

"We're holding this trial, to find out... who Ibuki's secret admirer is!"

To be honest, I've been sort of suspecting that maybe there really won't be murders the entire time...and now that everyone's talking about it, I'm not gonna lie, I'd find the concept neat...but I just can't imagine a game radically changing something so integral from game to game.

Plus, I mean, we have 16 loving characters we need to do. Some. Pruning!

I didn't come here for happy fun friendship times I came for murders!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Kangra posted:

My theory on the hope shards (because there has to be something to make this a DR game, right?):

"You can collect 6 shards from each person you meet.
If you collect 100 shards, you can leave the island!"

"p.s. if you kill someone you get all their shards..."

I'm not sure how it works with the 'excess violence', but perhaps it is necessary violence.

6 Shards, 16 Students...that equals 96. That's not enough to get off the island, even if you killed everybody.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I'm getting some major Chihiro vibes from our Gamer girl.

...I bet she snaps and does some killin'.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
If the chef isn't the first one killed, then he isn't going to get killed for pretty much the rest of the game. That's my complete nonsense prediction. He has the potential to be a pretty funny character depending on how they play him.

Of course, considering his already clearly low moral values, I can imagine he'd also be very likely to kill someone. He's good with knives too, being a cook.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

nonconsensualninja posted:

Ahh, you're probably right, he's trying to trick her into blowing him. With the talk about her underwear, I thought it was the other way around.

A 20 second conversation in which he tries to sexually prey upon a girl he considers naive? In which even the two main characters threaten him if he continues on with his sexual predation?

Trying to convince a woman to let you suck on anything under her skirt in a way involving deceit is sexual predation, dude.

You have it the other way around, he's trying to convince her to suck on his dick.

It's a variation of "can you get this bit of lettuce out of my teeth with your tongue" sort of thing. You'd have to be criminally, stupidly naive to fall for it.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

ApeHawk posted:

Syo was a fun character that was not calculating or devious in the slightest; she had a mental condition.

Hanamaru is, so far, depicted as a scheming predator who acts suave and has no mental problems except that he is a major pervert.

Yes, I'd side with Syo any day of the week.

Tell us more about how you'd side with a murderous sexual predator (who killed for sexually driven reasons) over a lecherous high school boy. :allears:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Yeah, I'm not buying this "Togami" although god drat that official art is pretty hilarious.

There's just too much strangeness about all this. The little girl is creepy too. And Okane? A gymnast? With a rack like that? I'm amazed she stand up straight, let alone on a balance beam!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Stone Salt posted:

orenronen said that no action is going to happen until after chapter 1 because you're expecting something to happen, so don't get your hopes up.

When did he say this?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Stone Salt posted:

He probably got hung up on some of my random assumptions. I don't know if it was chapter, act, part, but he said that because people are expecting it, nobody's going to die for a while.

He didn't say anything like that. If we're thinking of the same thing, I am pretty sure he and slowbeef were joking around.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Oh Monobear. It's like you never left us. :allears:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Based off the last game's stinger, I think Monobear could very well just be an A.I. now.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
If there's gonna be a murder, I think Gundam will be murdered, and his four gerbils will each form an instrumental, but initially puzzling, piece of evidence that blows the whole case wide open. There will then be a sad scene of the gerbils mourning their fallen master, likely as a parody of some sort of famous final scene from a classic anime.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Yeah, Togami's being way too good at actually motivating everyone and organizing them, if he isn't the first to die then I don't know who could be.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I'm hoping more of the cast is not what they seem--this whole scenario is too contrived and on the nose, so I'd really like more twists like "These people knew X" whereas "these people knew Y" or something like that.

Anyway, let's hope somebody nobody gets murdered tonight!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
You know...what if the first Togami was the fake, and this is the real one?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I think it is going to come out that Togami had planned the black out to murder somebody, but had the tables turned on him at the last minute. Just like the first game's first case.

That said, it seems we really only have three people who could possibly have been in the room prior to the party, with time to hide a weapon and/or plan the black out, and those are Togami, Nagito and the pretty boy gangster. I'm not really convinced the gangster is guilty, so that basically leaves Nagito...

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Well, the simplest solution is often the best. Occam's Razor or whatnot. We still don't have all our evidence bullets either. Until we've finished the investigation, it's impossible to accurately re-create what happened. We need to search under the floor for clues, and the other rooms in the building as well.

Nagito seems the most suspicious, which makes me hesitant to finger him for the deed. Difficult as well, we can't safely eliminate very many suspects. The photo girl is out, and it'd be hard for me to image the nurse managing to do the deed AND clumsily fall over like that. Her fall is significant somehow, but its hard to say if its an indication of guilt or merely a distraction from the real problem.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Well, this lights up Nidai as a suspect. The bloody tablecloth could very well be cow's blood. He may have used the iron to plaster it onto the tablecloth somehow...er...

Okay, maybe not. But that seems like a funny detail alright! Pekoyama is clearly suffering some indigestion, so if the gymnast girl is also ill, that could offer an alibi (the food was bad?).

Nagito remains incredibly suspicious.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Nobody is explaining the discarded tablecloth, and I think THAT is a key clue that needs rectifying. How did the blood--and the cloth--get there? There's not been a lot of time, and the bloody table cloth is still on the table with Togami's corpse. Why this other cloth? Whose blood is on it? And where's the Yakuza!?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Nagito you're not good at this are you

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I'm a bit doubtful that the really obvious sociopath is our killer, on the basis that it's too obvious.

With Nagito eliminated from suspicion, it seems our two biggest suspects are Hanamura the Chef and...well that's about it, I guess. I'm not on board with "Hanamura did it" for the simple lack of any decisive evidence. If we could find the murder weapon and tie it to him, maybe then...

Of course, with Nagito eliminated, we lose our most obvious suspect. There's still the issue of the bloody tablecloth to deal with either--why is it there? Whose blood is it soaked in?

Nidai killed a cow with his bare hands, so...it could be cow's blood. That could implicate either Hanamura OR Nidai.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I like the suggestion that Hanamura didn't have much trouble finding his way to the spot under the table because he was already under the lodge before the power went out.

Hang on now, wasn't he bustling in and out of the kitchen, serving dishes and the like up until the power outage? Just how much time would he have to dip under the floor? And how would he have even discovered such a means to do so?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Hmm, I'm not really buying the idea that it was an accident. DR1 skirted with the issue of an accidental death, or even a justified self-defense murder, and in every instance it basically came down to "the final decision to kill was a conscious one" and it was usually tied into whatever personal flaws that character had. It would diminish the satisfaction of the conclusion if our culprit was merely an accidental killer, especially considering all the complexity at work here. Whomever is guilty will be revealed as the monster they are right before they are executed. That, if anything, is the series "standard".

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

dooplighost posted:

Still think it's annoying that Pekoyama claims to have been in in the bathroom the whole time. Since she still needed to go when the investigation was happening. Oh well, maybe they have an explanation for it, or just overlooked it (ithinkshedidit).

Why do you think she did it? There's no evidence pointing towards her. She would also have no light to navigate the darkness.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
No no, he's obviously stuffed with fluff.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I sort of figured that the anatomy weirdness was because every single character is actual a direct blood descendant of Chun-Li from Street Fighter.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
More importantly though...

Are we seriously going to let fresh fried food go to waste!?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Hm. It's only just now sunk into me the symbolism of Togami getting killed by a skewer. The fattest character skewered by a chef...huh!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
It'd be kind of awesome if every single case in the game is complicated by Komaeda. Like, the next murder gets some Togami-esque crime scene meddling and its just Nagito bein' crazy. Like, he's actively working the difficulty curve.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Nanami's the best, she's clearly meta-gaming the whole scenario. I mean, think about it--if you know that you're an NPC in a game, you have absolutely no compunction to do anything. You know you can just wait indefinitely and regardless of anything, the plot will progress, because the player has to advance it.

She's just sleeping away the excess hours.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Oh good just what this thread needed a definition of moe

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Ha, Souda's hilarious. You go shark man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
So, are Gundam and the Mobster the only ones completely without an alibi? We didn't even see them after the big bikini showcase--we see Kimono Girl and we see all the other girls, we don't see Nidai but get an account of his wherabouts from the Gymnast, so who else doesn't have any alibi at all?

• Locked thread