Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Aw hell yiss this is gonna be awesome :swoon:

I am already completely unable to read Fat Togami's lines in any voice other than Cubert from Futurama. He's chubby and has just the right flavor of "pretentious little poo poo with a superiority complex" for it.

Dragoon Cody posted:

Main character from the game Deadly Premonition, the "wearing a suit and tie while having a similar hair scar" thing i very reminiscent), plus some other stuff that I'd explain except it would involve explaining Deadly Premonition's plot which is hard to do because it makes no sense.

This was my immediate reaction to seeing that character and I was really disappointed to find somebody else had posted it first. :smith: Pretty sure it's a girl who just really likes short hair and men's formalwear, though. There's too much anime-girl-face going on there for it to be either a dude or a secret crossdresser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think the only student we haven't seen any dialogue from / an up-close picture of is Hershey Kisses Ninja. Hope that changes soon; I wanna know if he represents the Lollipop Guild.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HangedManArcana posted:

A freaking deserted island. What the gently caress!? At least with the island once they start dying off it won't be "Stab in the gut, club on the head, club on the head, club on the head, Club on the head twice and the poisoned, stab in the gut."
I'm a bit upset the deaths weren't that creative in the last game, although the cover up and the circumstances for the deaths were a lot more interesting to me.
Let's see what sort of things people can do this time. :munch:

Let me be the one to say welcome to the unfiltered forums, where you don't actually have to say "gently caress" anymore (in fact, gently caress that). :)

EchoPrima posted:

It seems Usami took the students the students to the island to learn about hope, also either this is a computer simulation or Usami's a loving wizard.

I'm thinking the classroom was always on the island to begin with, and the students just didn't know because their memories were wiped. Making it fall apart like that was still a pretty neat trick, but not outside the realm of possibility.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"My Bonnie lies over the ocean"?

e: Strike that. "Bunny."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hm. Come to think of it, if we're assuming an even 50/50 gender split here like there was in DR1 (if you count Chihiro as a guy), that means the York-alike is probably a dude too. I stand corrected, I suppose.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xander77 posted:

If I'm counting correctly (and my math/gender role skills were always suspect), you'd still have one "extra" girl if that were the case.

Are you operating under the assumption that Kazuichi (sharktooth skaterpunk) is a girl? I don't THINK that's the case, but maybe I'm wrong here.

Can anyone who knows things about Japanese names help us out here, or are the names ambiguous?

e: Also, question for Oren or anyone else who can read Japanese, is Sonia Nevermind's last name actually a transliteration of "nevermind" or is it the Japanese word for "never mind"?
e2: She doesn't LOOK like a Nirvana fan... :crossarms:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 12, 2012

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

It's the transliteration. With a European given name, I wouldn't expect her to have a Japanese family name.

Well, if her name were given as literally the phrase "never mind" in the same language everyone is speaking I dunno how much it really counts as a Japanese family name so much as a slightly-less-obvious pseudonym than the alternative, but thanks for answering my question :v:

e: Also I just realized who your avatar is. Huh.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 12, 2012

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Benly posted:

My suspicion, based on what little we've seen so far, is that Hinata is some kind of dangerous or otherwise "bad" guy. That bit of recalcitrance in explaining his entry to Hope's Peak - "It's not that important, you'll find out soon enough" - combined with talking about how getting into Hope's Peak is something he wanted more than anything ever sets off alarm bells and makes me think he did something terrible to get in.

That answers the question of what killed Kirigiri's dad. Hinata made a skinsuit out of him. :unsmigghh:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My only question is if Hinata was such a SHSL Hope's Peak Academy Fanboy, why wasn't he reading the same message boards Naegi and Nagito were? I mean, obviously some pretty crazy poo poo happened to his memory; maybe he did and just can't remember?

e: Hinata and Nagito's official art makes it look like they're both in the middle of falling over.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Uh. Doesn't she speak with an affectedly childish speech impediment in the original Japanese text too? I think the idea of giving her condescending kindergarten-teacher diction is kinda cool, and I can get behind scaling back the withp a little bit, but I think cutting it out entirely would mean losing something from the character.

e:

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

I think a mix of Faustic's suggestion with the current toned-down revision of Usami's speech patterns might work well. Keep the occasional bit of baby-talk for emphasis (and to get across that yes, she really is intentionally being this saccharine-sweet) but add more of a teacher-is-talking-now feel.

Basically this, but with an added note of "if half the posts in this thread are gonna be devoted to talking about why the translation is WRONG I'm gonna get tired of it quickly."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gundam and Nagito are wearing really similar T-shirts. Pure white with an artsy symbol of some sort, printed in their primary accent color, and no text. Souda and Hinata don't match, though. Wonder if that means anything.

Seems kind of odd to me that a work produced in a country where American comics have so little cultural penetration would contain a generic-supervillain-pastiche type character. Always thought of that as a Western-comics trope. Am I off-base there?

Also if it's not too goony of me to say, that entire update I couldn't stop thinking how similar Gundam looks (and acts, sort of) to Eridan from Homestuck. Right down to the fixation on the color purple, the supervillainous grandstanding, the scarf, and the silly hairdo.

(e: added in image link)

loquacius fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 17, 2012

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So... what exactly is "light music" anyway? Like, smooth jazz or what? :v:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think the thread at large was misreading Ibuki's design when we pegged her as a punk girl earlier. Like, we parsed her as a generic punk type, but with the bubbly personality, the high levels of enthusiasm, and her particular taste in music they were probably going for more of a raver/nightclub-goer type look.

Iunnrais posted:

Would "Glee Club" be a western equivalent to "Light Music Club"?

My understanding of glee clubs is that they're usually largely a choral group (maybe with some piano accompaniment), but the context here seems to be more instrumental than that (not completely, though). The equivalent is probably closer to what my high school called "jazz combos" despite their relative improbability of choosing to play jazz music. I guess I was IN a light music club in high school and I didn't even know it! :v:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 18, 2012

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Come on Kuzuryuu, don't you know that gangsters embrace their weird nicknames? "Baby-face" should instill terror into the hearts of all who hear it.

His NAME is Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu. NOT BABYFACE. <:mad:> You remember. And you tell your friends. He's Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu. Born to raise hell.

apologies for lovely quality, that is apparently the best quality clip of that particular scene that Disney's lawyers will allow on Youtube

SingerOfW posted:

SHSL Photographer sounded like one of the most boring talents in the game...

You might be surprised there! She's covered wars, you know. :v:

Call Now posted:

Isn't the purpose of Hope's Peak to instill hope in people by raising narrow-fielded superhumans? If yes, how does a SHSL gangster fit in it? Yakuza doesn't strike me as the most hope-ly bunch of people, I wonder if he's going to be that honorable yakuza type hero.

Eh, the first game had a Japanese Hell's Angel in it; this is honestly more legit than that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

muike posted:

I'm expecting her to show up in a Day by Day strip any day now

Hell, she's already had a couple of rants about strictly enforcing antiquated gender roles. The problem is they were a little too coherent. :v:

e: Muiru Chrisumi

e2: oh hey, this isn't the political cartoons thread. If you don't get this reference, do yourself a favor and don't try to look it up; you're better off not knowing.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 21, 2012

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

orenronen posted:

Teruteru Hanamura: Super High-school Level Cook

~~peacocking with my balla-rear end spoon~~

Nthing the impression that our boy here is all talk. Mostly because that plot of his was way too over-the-top to be getting played completely straight. Might be wishful thinking on my part, though. :ohdear:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

orenronen posted:

They say her performances are attended by a surprisingly young crowd for Japanese classical dance shows.
Well, I guess most of the audience is male, though.

I'm sure that's because she looks like a cute little girl... I wouldn't be surprised if most of them weren’t there just for the dancing.

Man, with everybody commenting on how creepy Hanamura was last time I'm surprised this little tidbit has gone without comment so far. :stonk: Holy jeez that's a creepy thought. Well, if she has to deal with pedos all the drat time, no wonder she's a little off in the head.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I just noticed the track name seems to be spelled "Beautiful Ruin Summer Solt" :catstare:

A Peaceful Tropical Vacation with Chrono Cross

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Okay yeah that entire sequence felt kinda like a scene from Home Alone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I love the Togami one. It's Earthbound as gently caress. :allears:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Carrasco posted:

Kind of odd that Monobear's not offering any proof. It should be pretty easy. Just point out that they're an inch or two taller than they remember, or that they've gotten a haircut in between their first day of highschool and now, or something.

COUNTERPOINT: Anime hairstyles do not change unless it's to symbolize a dramatic moment of profound character development :colbert:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I don't really see the logic behind "somebody here isn't actually a member of your class; therefore THERE IS A TRAITOR AMONGST YOU." It doesn't really follow that "outsider" and "traitor" are the same idea, which leads me to believe it's an intentional distortion to turn the group against Togami, because he's (a) probably from a different class, and (b) the de facto leader. Now that Monobear has successfully planted that connection (outsider = traitor) in everybody's head, as soon as they figure out Togami (or Nagito, or Hinata) is actually from a different class they'll all get suspicious as hell, no matter what the actual reason for him being there is. Unity smashed; group divided; despair triumphs; etc etc etc.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Certis Baliano posted:

Has it been brought up why Monomi became Monobear's bitch after her "magic" staff got broken? It makes no sense, unless the staff symbolized Monobear's controller taking control over Monomi or something.

Does that really make no sense? He beats her up whenever she talks back. That's why. :geno:

He broke her staff to show how much stronger than her he is, because her big important MacGuffin item didn't actually slow him down for a second. I don't think it actually literally did anything.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mikan's main character trait is that she's painfully anime. I'm definitely confident in this game's ability to develop her a little beyond that, but I kind of suspect that the key elements of her backstory are story-relevant somehow, which would definitely mean her Free Time events would consist mostly of her saying nice things and then cringing for hours on end while Hinata's narration asks the player what her deal even is. Not that Nagito or Togami's Free Time events can really tell us too much either.

Really I'd much rather we palled around with colorful side characters some more, and I'm pulling for Sonia to win her tiebreaker. If we don't start harvesting Coach N's Hope Shards soon I'll be disappointed. :colbert:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JT Jag posted:

So I assume that Novoselic is, like, pseudo-Luxembourg or something?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm thinking closer to Lichtenstein, actually.

My first thought was actually Monaco. Europe really does have a lot of tiny, inexplicably-independent principalities even in the modern era, huh?

(e: also Andorra)

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 13, 2013

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, the first murder in DR1 was basically that too. Maizono was trying to kill Leon and pin it on Naegi, but she hosed up so badly that it went the other way around.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't get the "castle on a plain" reference.

"On A Plain" is a song from Nirvana's popular album "Nevermind." The castle was just because she has a castle. And I'm sure she's anxious to get back there and serve the servants some pennyroyal tea or something, if I may make an assumption or two about a girl, but unfortunately right now there's something in the way. All apologies.

fake-edit: Sonia Nevermind Will Have Her Revenge On Hope's Peak Academy

real-edit: can't believe I missed the chance to put one more in there :doh:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 14, 2013

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mazed posted:

You know, Akane could be what Aoi from DR1 might have become after a few bad days.

They look practically identical, the only main physical differences being hairstyle and demeanor. Where once there was a passion for sports and donuts, there is now a passion for sports and everything edible. Once reserved and non-confrontational, now completely uninhibited and looking for any excuse to throw a punch.

It'd be funny if Togami actually turned out to be someone different but this speculation actually was true.

Akane is also six inches taller than Aoi (remember the whole thing the thread had about "GYMNASTS CAN'T BE TALL, MY IMMERSION :qq:" when that came out?), so I'd rate that as fairly unlikely. Plus, fightin' spirit or no, Akane doesn't exactly seem traumatized.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Huh, I'm kinda surprised that they didn't have to break down the bathroom door and find a body there personally.

Seconding this. I was pretty sure they were gonna find Kuzuryuu stabbed in the bathroom. I guess two chapter-one bathroom stabbings in a row is kind of repetitive for this series, though! There's clearly SOMEthing going on in there, though. Coach N needs to just knock the drat door already and be done with it.

The weapon appears to be a kitchen knife. Guess they missed one.

e:

C-Euro posted:

Night-vision goggles? He was going to take someone out himself, that treacherous bastard.

Eh, those are basically a second murder weapon anyway; I'm pretty sure the killer left those under there for the same reason they left the knife there. Without any fingerprinting capability, it's better to leave your tools at the scene of the crime than be caught with them later.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JT Jag posted:

I'd quite like it if Hinata ends up getting proven wrong in one of these counter-arguments. Just make it an unwinnable boss fight, with the other guy flinging arguments at you left and right too fast to slash them all until you lose, but instead of losing the trial it just cuts back immediately to that person elaborating their position, Hinata at the health level he was at before that section, and Hinata just goes "yeah, you have a pretty good point there".

And then a new evidence bullet is added and everyone moves on.

Yeah, I like that other people in the trials are capable of disputing your points, but it bugs me that as I understand the game mechanics it is impossible for any of them to ever be right. That was true in DR1, too -- Naegi was by definition Literally Always Right -- but the other characters interjecting in DR2 really makes it more apparent.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HangedManArcana posted:

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Evidence bullet: Blue text.

This time we concur with what it is they say sometimes to. They're not wrong all the time.

Uh. Yeah, I guess? I wasn't talking about the blue text, just the points where (and I quote) "other people in the trials are capable of disputing your points." Counterargument Showdowns, as I am now reminding myself they are called. It is not literally impossible for anyone else to ever say something right, no. (That wasn't true in DR1 either.) Just when they disagree with the player avatar.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So... does that mean no more RP RP then? :saddowns: Guys, poo poo like this is why we can't have mock threads anymore. The Internet is silly. Your hobbies are silly. Stop taking them so drat seriously and laugh at dorks, dorks.

QuarkJets posted:

That's the only part of the case that's still bugging me. I think that the "knife as Togami lure" makes even less sense than "knife as Togami's hidden weapon"; even if you're in the dark, you could presumably feel your way to the nearest person and try to kill them. A literal stab in the back would not produce much blood, and it would be easy to pull off with just the tiniest bit of luck (!)

Y'know, this is a really good point. Why would anyone who figured out this elaborate plan to plunge the party into darkness also put themselves through all the pain and effort of stabbing somebody through the floor when they could just stab them regular style? The blackout was probably enough. I'm not saying this means the through-the-floor thing didn't happen (because it's being foreshadowed enough that it probably did), just that it was unnecessarily complicated. Maybe it is two overlapping-but-unrelated murder attempts, but that seems like a little much for Case Number One.

My money's still on Nagito -- he was assisting with the investigation, yeah, but only in a superficial way, and the dude was acting shifty as hell the whole time; also he had plenty of time in the cabin with nobody watching him to set up the power outage. If this were near the end of the previous game I'd call that a probable red herring, but again it's the first goddamn case so maybe the cigar is just a cigar here.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tomn posted:

This is probably worth reposting for reference -

Camera-girl's best guess on where everyone was before the lights went out. Doesn't look like Nagito was likely to successfully knock over Mikan...

Edit: Come to think of it, if Nagito WAS planning to murder someone, then the most likely victim would be Hinata, wouldn't it...

This reminds me of a question I had earlier -- forgive me if this has already been asked and answered, but was this map originally all in English or did somebody (HelloWinter?) draw up a translated version for the thread? If it's the former, why? Is sometimes using English in the absence of foreigners A Thing in Japan, and if so what determines when you do that?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

orenronen posted:

It's never a bad time to praise HelloWinter some more - yes, this is her work.

For reference, the original screenshot:

HelloWinter posted:

The original was indeed Japanese! There have been quite a few engrish edits that were made already in the LP (Monokuma File > Monobear File). Oren decided it'd be for the best to edit them into proper english.

Neat! :) Love the attention to detail in recreating the map and making it look as authentic and natural as the original did, to the point where I had to ask whether you'd done anything at all. This is professional-grade stuff, but then pretty much everything that comes out of this LP is.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Huh. So I was right to think Nagito was being suspicious as hell and was hiding something, but not to think that that made him the culprit. Of course. So... who was it?

I think the thread's de facto Suspect #2 has been Hanamura, but I still kinda feel like his line during the blackout should place him inside the party room when it happened. The killer was at that point probably under the floorboards, which I feel like Ibuki probably would have noticed with her superhearing if he'd been down there at that point.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Narsham posted:

The most likely reason would be that unlike Junko, this Monobear's controller is actually one of the students in the courtroom.

Well look who's already exonerated Togami. Remember what happened last game. :colbert:

Even if it's not him, we can't really make the assumption that it's one of the students in the courtroom yet either. A former cast member gone crazy somehow, or an independent AI as hinted by the first game's epilogue, are still 100% valid possibilities.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I calculate roughly a 90% chance that, rather than the kitchen-accident idea, any execution of Hanamura would necessarily involve him having some cooking method applied to him anyway. Baked in an oven or boiled in a pot or impaled on a spit or something. Nice job mentally scarring a bunch of people, though :v:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Didn't the developers outright say that they designed Maizono first and then used her as a template or a base model or something for all the other girls in the game (and likewise for one of the male characters, but I forget which)? I seem to recall that coming up at some point in the DR1 thread.

Yeah though honestly I'm just astounded we didn't see a single bloody nose until Hanamura, and Giant Sweat Drop still has yet to make an appearance.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

KillerEggplant posted:

It happens in Western comics and animation as well, but it's more pronounced in the manga and anime style. That might say something about mindsets on escapism and the individual, but speculation in that direction gets into long and potentially boring derail territory.

What's interesting to me is that this seems to directly contradict the trends in game design. In Western RPGs, the tendency is for main characters to be completely customizable, with their appearance, dialogue, and methods all dictated by the player, and for all other party members to be largely AI-controlled, because the main character specifically represents the player -- and it's really hard not to identify with someone when you are literally dictating their every decision. Conversely, in JRPGs, the tendency is for all characters to have mostly established appearances and personalities and be universally controllable (with exceptions of course -- you can play as Reyn or Genis if you want, but you can't play as Kirigiri), as you guide several people who are all decidedly not you through their predetermined character arcs in a set story. The visual design of the main protagonists still tends toward the basic side to encourage players to identify with them, though.

e: For example, compare Hinata or Naegi to Shepard from Mass Effect. Hinata and Naegi are as close to everyman characters as you can really get and fit the story, but they're still their own people with their own personalities (Hinata more than Naegi :v:). Compare that to Shepard -- the only thing constant about Shepard is his/her main goal. Everything else about her/him, from his/her fighting style to her/his morals to his/her race and gender, is whatever the player wants. They're certainly widely divergent strategies.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 5, 2013

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nagito Komaeda: Super High-School Level Defense Attorney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm not really sure that saying "Meat a on bone! :downs:", or whatever slightly-mixed-up order, would necessarily equate to you losing the argument (and thence the trial) anyway, as long as you're not just sitting there yelling "ON ON ON ON" over and over, but that same gameplay criticism has been coming up since DR1. :shrug: e: Hell, as long as you manage to blurt out "meat" and "bone" your basic point should still get made.

"Did he say 'Meat on bone a'? Hinata, that doesn't even make any sense, JEEZ. Well, guess it's back to square 1. I vote that it was Nagito. And that Kirigiri's a ghost."

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 10, 2013

• Locked thread