Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

From what little I've seen of Trigger Happy Havoc, it does seem like they're doing a pretty good job. But I just know I'm going to miss the hell out of Fedule's Gundam dialogue.

FWIW, I've only seen the THH's prologue on Youtube but it reads very much like what I imagine a Fedule-edited version of the LP would. I mean, sure - there are lines here and there I would do differently, but it's very well written and seems to share my own translation sensibilities. It certainly has better prose than my early attempts at unedited, non-native translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

For Super Duper High School Level, wasn't it supposed to sound dumb in the original?

Not as dumb as Super Duper.

Choukoukoukyuu is a strange term - it is dumb, but it's almost not. Specifically, in the context of the game's fiction, it's a term Hope's Peak itself came up with. I think SHSL does a fair job of replicating that notion, SD fails miserably, and Ultimate just handwaves the problem away.

Someone mentioned before how "Ultimate Despair" sounds much more reasonable than SHSL Despair, but I think that was the point -- by the time they were adding nouns like Hope and Despair to the title it got de facto ridiculous instead of just sort-of. That's the point where the author wants the reader to think "Okay, now you're just being silly". When all is said and done, don't forget that Dangan Ronpa is a comedy.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Kytrarewn posted:

I'd probably go with "Prodigy", myself.

The problem with SHSL is the "high school" reference point contained within the descriptor.

Some of the more technical descriptors (neurologist, as one big example) get a bit silly when you consider that the practitioners are supposed to be better than most adults in their fields. "Good for a high-school student" doesn't really seem to do it justice.

I think that's part of the joke.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Clarste posted:

Ostensibly to keep with the black and white theme of the black and white bear.

Also, I feel absolutely terrified attempting to discuss this in front of the translators themselves, but when I tried to translate "Kuro" myself on some other project, my research indicated that it originated as police slang. Presumably it entered the common parlance at some point, but it means something like "perp".

Well, yes. When I originally approached the kuro/shiro problem I decided trying to do anything in English that keeps the black/white theme going just sounds too awkward in the kind of sentences Monobear uses the terms in. Besides, it's not like the black/white metaphor isn't already in your face with Monobear himself, and there's no need to feed the audience with a spoon the way Japanese video game text tends to do far too often to my liking. And so, my conclusion was that having the metaphoric terms is nice in Japanese where they already exist, but the English awkwardness far overweighs the desire to keep the metaphor going. The NIS translators had their priorities the other way around.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Bean posted:

Is SDR2 on the iOS app store? I heard it was, and was looking for it (on the Japanese iOS store) but couldn't find it.

No, and there's no indication they're remaking it for mobile devices.

The update's going to be a little late this week, and probably shorter than usual. I'll make up for it by making the next one really long.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think "Goodbye Despair" is a better subtitle than "Goodbye Despair Academy". Much more powerful. Less Japan-subtitle-y, you know what I mean.

"Sayonara, Zetsubou Gakuin" is almost certainly a direct reference to manga series "Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei" ("Goodbye, Despair-sensei"). That's a series that's well known among what I think is a good cross section of DR players, both in Japan and in the west. That is, it's a well-known series that many anime/manga fans in the west recognize, but not super-well-known and I imagine a lot Japanese players don't get the reference.

Whether such references should be kept or removed is an open question. I like keeping jokes that some of the audience will get (I do remove or replace those that have no chance of being recognized by anyone, re: Komadori Sisters). Your translation preference mileage may differ.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Dias posted:

That's one of the changes I don't mind. Goodbye Despair reads cleanly and fits the false-start of the game, and nixing the Super avoids people going "wait there was a vanilla Dangan Rompa 2? Did they nerf Mikan's fanservice? Is Nidai still top-tier?". So it's fine.

I also like writing while thinking your audience is dumb. Do you really think "Super-" (a very deliberate SNES/Super Famicom game titling joke that works in both markets) was okay for the sophisticated Japanese but Americans are too stupid for it?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Dias posted:

Just a joke about fighting game "sequels", dude. No need to blow a gasket.

Oh, this is most definitely a SNES joke, not a Street Fighter one. Many, many SNES games were prefixed with a Super- even when they weren't sequels.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ikoroshia

Oh, Hinata-kun. You came, just like I thought.
Does that mean you finally noticed?
We're dealing with copycat murders based on the movie playing here...
I haven't even seen the movie yet, so I don't really know...

I see... Well, you’d better go see it then, hadn’t you? We’ll talk about it after.

Hellooo?! Is anyone here?! You have a customer!

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

Coming! How may I be of assistance?!

...Oh? By "customer", did you mean Hinata-kun?
D...Do you have a problem with that?

Upupu... You were dead set on avoiding this movie, but it looks like you’ve come around in the end!
Oh, I get it! You were playing hard to get! Wow, you’re good!

Yeah, you’re a pro! You even bought a 1.5 million yen Monobear Sticker to support your act!

...A 1.5 million yen sticker?
I...It's nothing...!

It’s true! In exchange for not seeing the movie, Hinata-kun bought a 1.5 million yen sticker.
Here, have a look!
S...Stop it!

Before I could react, Monobear pulled the sticker from my pocket.

Here!

"Sorry for being born an idiot"

Y...You bought that? For 1.5 million?!

Upupu... And after all that, he’s going to see the movie anyway.
J...Just give me the drat ticket!

Okay! Here you go!

As it says right here on the ticket, it's valid only today, and only for this screening!
Oh, and it’s strictly one ticket per customer! You bastards get just one chance to watch my movie for free!

See? I stamped it with today's date, so no fooling around!
Don't worry. There’s no way I’d want to see this more than once...

I'm off to prepare for the screening. Please hold on just a little while longer.

Ikoroshia

Hey, Hinata-kun... If I were you, I'd keep this ticket handy for later.
...Huh? What for?
Oh, you know. Just for good luck.

Evidence Bullet Get posted:

Complimentary Ticket

A complimentary ticket, issued by Monobear, to see his movie.
Limited to one per customer. Valid only on date shown, for one screening only.

Please disregard the stamp jumping around on the face of the ticket.

Sigh... I guess I’ll have to wait for Monobear to get everything ready...

Let's see if anything changed.

Oh, hey... Wasn’t there something on this counter before?

This looks like a tote bag made of hemp fabric with Monomi's face printed on it...

Oh? Did that catch your eye? It's a universal tote-bag with a multitude of functions!
It's also a limited edition. I only have one to sell!

If that tote bag isn't here anymore, that means...

Oh? Have you come around on the bag, too?

Well too bad! It's already been sold!
...Who bought it?

Oh, silly you! I can't tell you that! Did you really think I'd just reveal the culprit that easily?!

So, it was the culprit who bought it?

Ah. Oops!
You did say it was a limited edition, didn't you? That there's only one?

Oh, that... Well... By "limited" I maaay have meant one person instead of one bag...
...That's not what you said back then.

See, when you buy one you get another for free. A perfectly valid way to attract customers.
You know? You're starting to really get on my nerves.

Monobear's Testimony

The tote bag sold at the movie theater was a limited edition, sold to just one person.
Supposedly, when you buy one you get another for free.

And now, please forget about my inadvertent slips of the tongue...

...And head into the theater! The preparations are all complete!

Upupu... I can't wait.

Ikoroshia

Let's go see this thing.

Music stops.

* BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ *

Ahem... We apologize for keeping you waiting.
Presenting world-renowned director Monobear's cinematic masterpiece, that may or may not have made America weep...
"The Wizard of Monomi 2.5D"

That title isn’t very encouraging. Besides, “2.5D”? He couldn’t even go all the way?

Please enjoy the presentation.

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

Monobear was born in a boring old village where more people died than were being born. It was filled with boring old people living boring old lives, waiting to be forgotten forever.

But one fateful day, an AH64 "Apache" attack helicopter on a standard training mission nearby somehow caused a hurricane...

...And Monobear was swept up and whisked away to the Land of Monomi.

Monobear, much to his surprise, found himself longing for his boring old hometown, and the days he would spend swindling the boring old people out of their small change.

And so, he set off on a journey to meet The Wizard Monomi, who, it was said, could grant any wish.

Along the way, he met some new dependable friends...

He met a Monomi Scarecrow but found her to be lacking a brain, so he suggested to her that she commit suicide...

...And she complied at once, hanging herself on a rope.

He met a Monomi Lion but found her to be quite cowardly, so he pinned her to a tree with some arrows.

He also met a Tin Monomi, but found her to have no heart, so he had her broken down for scrap.

After these and other adventures, he finally found the wizard Monomi.

It doesn’t really matter how, but he managed to defeat her...

...And when he did, he took over her kingdom.

And so, Monobear made all the boring old people into his servants, and used all their pension money to fund his wonderful life of luxury.

And they all lived happily ever after.

Oh, aren't movies wonderful?! Wasn’t that just an avalanche of raw emotional drama?!

See you later at the school trial!
Thank you for coming, and goodbye!

Ikoroshia

...The phrase “stunned silence” was invented for moments like this.

I... won't even ask if you liked it. Your face tells me everything I need to know.
That really was the worst movie... Was it even really a "movie"?

But... you do see what I meant earlier, right?
Yeah...

The way the characters in the movie were killed is similar to today's murders...

Mioda's body, which I found first, was hanged with a rope, just like the scarecrow...

And then, when we found Saionji's body, it was taped to a pillar, much like the lion was to pinned to the tree.

With just one more person dead, the copycat murders could have been perfected. It didn't end up that way, though...

Must suck to be the culprit, huh?

Yeah, if the culprit's goal was to complete the copycat murders, they must be fuming right now, but...

...It's still a mystery what they were thinking.

The Wizard of Monomi

A movie directed by Monobear in which three characters die.
First, Scarecrow Momoni hanged herself with a rope .
Then, the Monomi lion was pinned to a tree with arrows.
Finally, the Tin Monomi was broken down for scrap.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Tomn posted:

Side note about that: Anyone think the bit about there being more deaths than births refers to Japan and its aging population? Not that I have any idea what that would imply. Is this building up to some form of social commentary, or something? Or does it imply that somehow, Monobear's plans here will involve him becoming dominant on Japan? Or is it just silly sideshow stuff?

I think that's exactly what it refers to - note also how the old people are drawn. That bit at the end about pension money is also Japanese political commentary that's probably lost on most readers of this LP.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Kay Kessler posted:

I thought it was a reference to the myth of Izanagi and Izanami and how there will always be more births than deaths. It not being the case in the movie may just be a way of saying that the characters aren't in Japan.

Most Japanese people I met know nothing about their mythology, but Japan's ageing population is very much on their minds. The original phrasing (directly translated to something like "... where the death rate outnumbered the birth rate") pretty much settled for me that it's meant as a social reference.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I'm doing my best to work on the update this weekend - for what it's worth, it's a long one (about two regular updates long), going all the way through the rest of the investigation part.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Sorry to have kept you waiting. Let's investigate the hospital!

Ikoroshia

Hey... you were the one who made those camera sets, weren’t you?

So what? S’not like I put any hidden contraptions in ‘em... What, you think I’m the culprit?!
You found them at that strange shopping district, didn't you? I remember there being mountains of gadgets over there...

Yeah. Had to modify ‘em a bit, though.
But, what if there were other sets there too?
Would someone be able to use a third set to communicate with the hospital?

No way. Impossible.
See, the camera and the monitor come in a set and are used together.
Whatever the hospital camera shoots gets displayed on the hospital monitor...
And whatever the music club camera shoots gets displayed on the music club camera. That's all.

‘Course, that on its own’s not much of a communications setup... so I switched the cameras between the sets.
And that's why we could see footage from the hospital at the music club, and vice versa, right?
Both devices in the pair are keyed with unique ID numbers that can’t be changed... they use ‘em to recognize each other.
So, even if you brought in a third camera, say, you still wouldn't be able to send footage to either monitor.

In other words... even if there are other sets around, it would’ve been impossible to communicate with them.

...But switching the cameras wasn’t all I did, y’know?
I also extended their broadcast range. If I hadn't done that, we wouldn'ta been able to use ‘em.
...Oh, right. Good job.

It feels like it's been a long time since I was last here... even though it's really only been a couple of days.

There's a camera set on the counter.

It’s useless now that the set at the music club is destroyed.

Hey, Hinata-kun. I have a question.
You found Mioda-san's body in the music club, right?
But, why did you go to the music club in the first place? Did you have a reason?
Did you... see something on the monitor, perhaps?

Oh! I’d kinda like to know that myself.
If the camera had any recording capabilities I'd probably be able to extract the footage, but it's just a cheap home model.

...Tell us what you saw, Hinata-kun.
Yeah, you’re right. I did see something on the monitor...

Re: Despair Syndrome

It showed the music club stage. It had that black curtain hung up in the back...
But... the only illumination was by candlelight. It was pretty dim.
There was a rope hanging from the ceiling, and a stepladder directly under it.
A...And then...

Someone wearing a hospital gown with a bag over their head appeared...
Their face was hidden, so I couldn't tell who it was, but now I know it was Mioda...

She walked straight to the stepladder, and then, without even hesitating...
...She climbed it. Then, she took the rope in her hand...
...And that's all I saw.
The candle must have gotten blown out at that time.
The screen suddenly turned black, and I couldn't see what was going on anymore.

Ikoroshia

Yeah, that’d happen if the candle was the only light in the place...
Y’know, some newer security cameras come with infra-red vision, so they can still see in the dark...
...But these ones’re pretty old. I don’t think they have that...

...Ah! Hold it right there!

Did you say you couldn't tell the bag person was Mioda-san back then?
Yeah...

So, you had no clue who it was, but since it seemed like they were about to commit suicide...
...You ran all the way to the music club to try and stop them.
...I didn't make it in time, though.

Still... if she climbed the stepladder all on her own...
That’d... make it a suicide, right? I mean... she hanged herself, didn’t she?

Did Mioda... really commit suicide?

What do you think, Nanami?
Are you absolutely sure Mioda-san climbed the ladder on her own?
Yeah, I'm sure.
In that case...
Hmm...
Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Hey, you don't have to think about it so long. If you don't know, just come out and say it.
Yeah, he's right. I don’t think we can really make any conclusions right now.

Feh!

Oh, I just remembered. I wanted to investigate the conference room on the second floor.

...I'll be back soon.

...’Sup with her...? Just takin’ off like that all of a sudden...

Did she mention the conference room? What's so important over there?

Also... was I just imagining it, or...

...Did she just get a little miffed at us?

Footage from security camera

The footage Hinata saw at the hospital.
It showed a person in a hospital gown with a bag on their head climbing a stepladder in order to hang themselves.

Let's move beyond the reception area and into the hospital.

Sigh... Finally, I feel like my old self again...

Hinata! Come help me with my rehabilitation! If you win, I'll let you touch my boobs!
I... think I'll pass.

I'm glad she’s alright... but I kinda hope the aftereffects stick around a little while longer.

...Not that I’d dare say that out loud, of course.

By the way, what are you doing here?

See, I never really got sick or injured before, so I had no idea, but...

Those hospital gowns are super-comfy! So, I thought I'd come back and get one!
Wait... are you going to be wearing only hospital gowns from now on?

Well, that was the plan, but it seems they're all gone.
There was one assigned to each hospital room, see? So I thought the one from the empty room would be available, but...
...It wasn't there?

Yeah, exactly.
Mioda died in hers, so all I found was Komaeda's used one.

Maybe I should use that one! They’re one-size-fits-all, after all!
...Wait. What about the one you were wearing?

Wear the same clothes I just took off? That’s icky!

Um... Surely it’s not as bad as wearing someone else’s unwashed clothes?

Oh well. I can’t stay here much longer. I left Tsumiki all alone in the music club!
Dammit, I should get back over there!

I think putting Owari in charge of guarding the crime scene might’ve been a mistake.
It’s a good thing I already finished investigating over there...

There's nothing helpful in the patient rooms, so let's move into the second floor. We haven't really explored it until now.

And here's a map we haven't seen yet.

There are two rooms we can investigate on this floor. This is the door to the rest ward we've been in before. It's the smaller room, on the map's bottom left corner.

This... isn't a regular hospital room. It must have been a resting ward.

Even so, there are medical instruments thrown around everywhere. It's more like a storage room than a lounge...

If this is where the hospital staff are supposed to rest, it must be a really tough job.

Still... if the hospital has a room like this... that’s more evidence that this place used to be inhabited.

Seriously... what's up with these islands?

There's a bed here...

It looks like the ones in the hospital rooms, but I guess this one is meant for resting.

No time for rest right now, though. Back to the investigation.

Medical instruments, nursing care goods, and boxes of what look like medicine are lying around.

Seems this room was also used for storage.

...But, nothing here looks relevant to the investigation.

Onto the second room. This is the larger one, on the map's upper left corner.

Music fades out

What the hell...? It's dark. I can't see anything.

Um... Where's the light switch...?
...Don't turn it on.
...Huh?
N...Nanami? Are you in here?
...If you turn the light on, you're going to see me... exposed. It's embarrassing.
E...Exposed...?!
Hey, Hinata-kun...
...You may turn on the light, but first you have to rip both your eyes out.
...So, how about it? Are you gonna rip them out?
Why would I?!
Sigh. Too bad.
...So much for my practical joke.

Then, the next second, I heard the sound of a curtain being pulled...

...And a strong, bright light burned painfully through my eyeballs.

Somehow, I managed to squint my eyes and get used to the light...

Ikoroshia

...And saw Nanami, who had just pulled back the curtain that was covering the windows.

...Surprised?
"Surprised" isn’t the right word... More like... I don’t have a clue what just happened.

Well, I do.
...So?

The curtain in this conference room is light-resistant.

There's a projector here... so they must have fussed over getting the place dark.

See? It's a black, light-resistant curtain, and it reaches all the way down to the floor.
A light-resistant curtain, huh? So that's why it was pitch-black in here.
But... why does that matter?

...Not telling. I'm still investigating.

She did get a little miffed back there, didn't she.

Okay... But, what about all those things you said?
You know, about how it's embarrassing and something about a practical joke...?

Oh. I was just bullying you.

Yep. Totally miffed. And acting like a kindergarten kid.

Anyway, I guess that's it for the hospital investigation.

I should go somewhere else.

Hinata may think so, but there are a few things to examine in this room. Most importantly, it's very difficult to spot, but there's something on the ceiling.

It's difficult to spot even in the closeup, but that's another Hidden Monobear!

Folding desks. They probably use them when there's a meeting in this room.

I can't say they’re very interesting, though.

That's a fairly big window... It makes the room feel larger than it is.

There's a projector here. Well, this is a meeting room so it's not unusual.

I don't think this would be helpful for the investigation, though. I should look somewhere else.

So, that's the light-resistant curtain. That's why it was so dark in here.

And now we're really done with the hospital. There are still places to investigate, though!

Now I think about it... I don’t think I’ve ever seen the inside of one of these rooms.

I don't even know where Saionji's room is.

...I guess the quickest way is just to ask someone.

...I know you're here. Show yourself!
...Huh? Are you talking about me?
Hmhmhm... Did you really think you could hide from me?

...No?

Um... Can you tell me which room is Saionji’s?

You will find what you seek beyond the middle door... over there.

But be warned... Within that portal lie sights that can change a man...
Be sure to pray to your loved ones before you enter... and consider preparing a change of underwear.
Heh heh heh...

I'd love to know how his parents and teachers deal with all this.

Hey, Hinata... I have one more question for you.
When you first found Mioda's body, what was it like?
It was just like it was when you got back there with me. She was hanging on a rope from the lighting rig.
When I first found her, there was no announcement, though. That's why I ran out to tell everyone.
Then, I met Nanami right here at the motel, and when we started going back to the club...

...That's when you bumped into Tsumiki and me, huh.
Then we all went back to the club, but for some reason the door wouldn't open.

We had no choice but to open it with force... And found that while you were gone Saionji was also killed.
Yeah, exactly.

Now, here's the important part.
When you came to the motel, did you encounter anyone other than Nanami?
Hmm, let's see...

Are you deaf?! I found a body!!
A...A...A...A body...?
KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
You lie... It is the work of the fever - the strain that renders your every word a falsehood. It has claimed you too!

Yeah, Tanaka and Monomi were also here.

But... you didn't see Souda or Sonia anywhere?
Are you saying... one of them did it?

Well, think about when Saionji was killed.
It must've been sometime after you found Mioda's body, and before we broke into the club.
The people whose whereabouts are a mystery during that time are the most suspicious, naturally.
I guess you're right, but...

By the way, I don't think I’ve told you my alibi yet.
This morning, I went to the hospital right after Monobear's morning announcement woke me up.
When I got there, I found Tsumiki standing outside freaking out. When I asked her what was going on, she told me Mioda was missing.
That's when you two split up and went searching for her, right?

Yeah. I went circling the island, and when I got to the motel I found the rest of you.
Did you meet anyone while circling the island?

No. I went through the movie theatre and the shopping district, but there was no one there.

Well, I guess that means I don't really have an alibi either. But, you've got the wrong idea if you think I'm suspicious.
The time Tsumiki and I were searching separately doesn't really amount to much...

No one would be able to kill Saionji, let alone tape her to the pillar in such a short time.

Was it even really possible to do all that during the time I was away from the club?

Still... that's what happened. Saionji was killed, and we found her body.

What the hell...? Do you still suspect me?

Well, I'm used to it. Not much I can do about it, I guess...

Don't worry, though. You won’t get dismembered and buried in concrete just because of suspicions.

That’s... reassuring. I think.

Kuzuryuu's Testimony

After he met Tsumiki in front of the hospital, they split up to search for Mioda.
He went to the movie theatre and the shopping district, but didn't meet anyone.
It appears he was separated from Tsumiki for only a short time.

* rattle rattle *

The door seems to be locked, but...

I have the key Saionji had hidden in her kimono. And I’m pretty sure...

* click *

...So this is the key to her room.

...Okay. Let's see what's inside.

So this is where Saionji was living...

She was only here for a couple of days, so it doesn’t really feel... lived in.

It's... kinda sad.

...Oh? Was this room open?
No... I used the key that was in Saionji's kimono to open it.

Oh... I see...
...What's wrong?
No, it's nothing... Only...
I think this may be my fault. I can't help but feel that way...

Her fault? What does she mean?

Before we ask her, let's check out the room. We can start by twisting the camera to the left, which reveals...

The final Hidden Monobear for this chapter! As a bonus, an achievement for discovering half of the game's Hidden Monobears.

There's a mirror here, but... it’s tiny. And covered in rust.

Hardly even worth calling it a mirror, really.

Looks like the bed’s been made...

I guess she wasn’t taken while she was sleeping then.

After we came to this motel, Saionji-san locked herself in this room.
Was she so scared of despair fever that she avoided the rest of you, too?
Yes... At least, that was what she said, but...
...I think there was something else.
Something else? What other reason could she have?

...Her wardrobe.
Her... what?

Um... yesterday, I came here trying to call her out.
She’d been locked in here for so long, I thought she ought to at least come outside for some air...
The door to her room was always locked, but for some reason I found it open.
So... I happened to see her.

Re: Desire for Execution

She was in tears, struggling with her obi.
She had taken a shower - I suppose she was sick of smelling bad - but it looked like she was having trouble tying her obi afterward...
I think that without Koizumi-san to help her... she was still very bad at it.

So... she didn't come out of her room because she couldn't change her clothes...?

You may think an obi is not a big deal, but for her it was serious problem.

Saionji-san said that Koizumi-san taught her how to tie her obi.
Koizumi-san was kind to her and showed her how to do it herself...
That's why... she desperately wanted to be able to tie her obi all on her own.

I'm sure... she wouldn't have been able to forgive herself if she couldn't do it.

And without even understanding her feelings, I...
...What did you do?

S...Saionji-san... Do you, perhaps, find it difficult to put your kimono on?
W...What are you talking about, you idiot?! It's not a problem at all!
I mean... Big sis Koizumi taught me how to do it. I...I can do it on my own now.
Um... in the case, how about trying to do it in front of a mirror?
There was a big one in the music club's storage room, wasn't there?
If you try it in front of a mirror, I'm sure it will be easy for you.
Besides... staying inside your room all day isn't good for your health...

She... pushed me out of the room back then, but...

Perhaps... she took what I said to heart, and...!
...And went to the music club to try and put her kimono on?

That... does sound plausible.

Besides... she locked her room and stuffed the key inside her kimono...
None of that makes any sense if she was taken against her will.

...So she had to have gone out on her own!

Did you tell this to anyone else before the murders? Or... did someone overhear your conversation...?
No... I haven't told it to anyone until now, and I don't think anyone was eavesdropping.

No one knew...?

So... how did the culprit know Saionji would be at the music club?

Something... isn't right.

Sonia's testimony

Saionji was troubled because she couldn't change into her kimono on her own, and it was a mess.
Sonia suggested she try it in front of the big mirror in the music club’s storage room.

Ikoroshia

I don't think there's anything else suspicious in this room...

Nothing is out of place, and there are no signs of a forcible kidnapping.

So, no hints over here. Well, can't be helped, I guess...

* ding dong ding dong *

Yoo-hoo! How are you bastards doing?! This is Monobear! Feeling great!
You know? Our school trial is about to start!
So, come join me at the usual place. Gather at Monobear Rock, ASAP!
Upupu, see you soon!

Re: Despair-Syndrome

I guess it's time...

So it's that time again.

We have to go back to that place...

...Now's not the time to get scared.
I have to find out why Mioda and Saionji are dead...
...I have no choice!

After hearing Monobear's announcement, everyone gathered in front of Monobear rock.

And then...

You're all here! You bastards really can't wait to get to court, can you!

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

You fiend! Wait just one second!!

You again? You're just here to play the role of my dimwitted sister, so don't interfere.

I'm not dimwitted!

I demand an answer! What happened to Nidai-kun?!

Oh, I see. You just came here to avenge him, huh?

Avenge?! You're talking as if he's dead!!

"As if", you say? ...Oops, I almost said too much again.

Anyway, unfortunately, Nidai-kun won’t be able to join us for today's proceedings. Please understand.

W...Well, then! I shall be going up ahead!

Wait! Don’t just wun away!!

D...Did you all hear that, guys...?

Don't worry... No way's Nidai's dead. He's... just trying to upset us.

Yeah, that's right. There's not even a slight chance that he's dead.

Yep. We should worry about our current situation instead.

If things don't go right, it’ll be all of our lives on the line, not just Nidai-kun's.

H...How can you be so cheerful...?!

Hmmm... That's a very good question. I guess I'm just excited that I'm about to see poetic justice in action.

What... are you talking about?

You'll figure it out before long.

So... Let's go.

Yeah! Let's get this over with!
Yeah... Let's.

Uyu... I couldn't be of any help this time...
I couldn't even tell you what their times of death were... I'm sorry for being such useless trash...

It... really was my fault that Saionji-san is dead.

But if so... I shall certainly reveal the truth behind these murders!
Let’s go!

Let's go. We don't have time to stand here and do nothing.
It may be sad, but we have to face forward... This time, we can end this.

I'm sure you know this already, but don't let Monomi fool you.
Everything she says is just her trying to fool us.

Or, would you rather be fooled...?

Why are we still here?
Let's get this over with, already!
I wanna be back here when ol' man Nidai gets back!

What the hell were they talking about? Is Nidai really...
Monobear's just trying to confuse us... Just... try to concentrate on the trial.

Yeah, I know...

Hmph. The appointed hour draws near...

Long have I kept my true power sealed... but if unleashing it will help avenge our fallen comrades, then so be it.

Just as I thought, these murders are...

...Oops. I think I'll continue this thought when we're in court, Hinata-kun.

Dammit. Just when I thought he couldn't get any worse...

We stepped onto the escalator, heading into Monobear Rock's big open mouth...

That was when it sunk in...

There were fewer people next to me than ever before.

But now's not the time to get depressed.
If I lose sight of what's going on, I won’t be able to do what must be done.

Once everyone was inside Monobear's big mouth...

Music stops

The elevator began to descend deep underground, as it always had.

No one spoke a word.
There was no sound, except for the elevator, going deeper and deeper down.

Down and down, deeper and deeper... until finally, it stopped.

The door opened slowly, as if teasing us.

The light flowing in from the other side encroached on the darkness inside the elevator.

And then... I stood again inside the courtroom.

Ocean Breeze Dead End

Oh, my. The number of empty seats have certainly increased. So much open space!

Two of my students died together... And Nidai-kun is also gone...

Is Nidai-kun weally not participating?! If he's alive, call him over!

Oh, aren't you tired of that already?

How could I be?!

Well, then. Let's begin!

Another fun school trial starts now! Please sit back and enjoy it to the very end!!

Music fades out

And so... the curtain opened on the third school trial.

Re: Despair-Syndrome

"Super High-school Level Light Music Club Member" Ibuki Mioda...

She may have been a little loud, but she always knew how to set the mood.
When I spent time with her... All my troubles and worries flew away.

"Super High-school Level Classical Dancer" Hiyoko Saionji...

In spite of her cute face, she was selfish and rude.
And yet... she tried to change. After Koizumi's death she really did try to improve herself.

The culprit who killed our two dear friends... is among us.

Tropical Despair

As always... I find it difficult to believe, but...

But... whether I believe it or not, the truth remains.

If we don't discover that truth... We can never escape from this hell.

And so... I must find it.

For myself...

For the sake of my friends...

And for the sake of the dead.

And so, it begins...

A school trial where hope and despair swirl together.

It starts now.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Van Dine posted:

Going by Orenronen's "but I think I'm going to stop anyway" in that interview, it's not looking too good for the possibility of continuing translation further than the end of chapter 3, then. Though the "I'm not sure I'm going to continue it" earlier in the interview is less firm.

You may have noticed the update rate has been going way down - this actually has more to do with some Real Life business taking away my free time and energy than with the localization news. I'm still determined to finish the third chapter, though. Since it's taking so long anyway, I think I'll try to do it in fewer but significantly longer updates. Once that's done, I'll think of what to do next.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

There's nothing legal binding this which is why it is etiquette that is being discussed. It's just generally the best way to keep everyone involved on good terms.

Wait, before we get into misunderstandings here -- technically, there certainly are legal bindings here. LP itself may be a gray area, but unlicensed translations have been proven in court to be illegal derivative work under copyright law. Both Spike-Chunsoft and NISA have every right to send me a cease-and-decease should they want to (I don't think they would). Last time I actually saw this enforced was with unlicensed Harry Potter translations distributed on the Internet before the official ones were published.

In any case, whatever ends up happening to this one, I plan to continue doing translation LPs in the future. I will be very surprised if any of the games I now have on my list get licensed.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I have a large :words: post in the making about the translation issues raised, but I'm so busy I can't even find fifteen minutes to complete it (moving countries takes away all your free time - who knew?). Look for it soonish.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I'll see if I can do the rest of Zero soon. As people said, I did move countries a couple of months ago, and so was seriously busy in Real Life (not to mention not having the hardware to record the game). The English release of SDR2 is approaching fast, so I seriously doubt we'll see more on that front over here, but Zero is still something I'd like to get done. If I don't procrastinate too much I might still even finish it in time for the game's release!

I really do like Zero, especially the parts we haven't seen yet. I think it does a nice job of fleshing out Junko's personality and motivations for the first game, as well as provide setup for some stuff in SDR2 that reads like an information dump that comes out of nowhere if you haven't read the novel.

Unrelated to that, I'd like to tell you about the two places left in the game that I've been troubled the most with how to translate. I'm going to keep actual spoilers very very vague - there's no real story information under the black bars - but you're warned nonetheless. I'd like to think the official translation does something clever with both, but I have my doubts.

The first is at the end of chapter 3. A certain character gives a short speech about another character (who is not present) in a way that doesn't mention their gender, which is very easy to do in Japanese. I think a perfect translation here should not only avoid mentioning a gender, but also do so in a way that doesn't attract attention to itself, which is very difficult. No "they" allowed here. Ideally, the reader shouldn't even notice and just assume a certain gender based on the context of the speech..

The second is for people who read Zero, which is why I assume they're just going to remove the entire issue in the translation. Hinata comes across a captioned photograph, but he doesn't know how to read the kanji-only name in it. Observant readers of Zero may figure out those characters can be read "Izuru Kamukura" at that time, but they may also not. He later hears Kamukura's name in a different context, and finally connects the two himself. I had a clever idea how to do that one that I'm disappointed you won't get to see.

Stay tuned.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Princey posted:

I'll admit the other thing I'm curious about are the Kirigiri novels. They're supposed to reveal how she messed up her hands, right? But I haven't seen any translation attempts anywhere and I highly doubt we'll ever officially get them in English.

The Kirigiri novels are strange. I read the two that are out and I don't think they're very good, although they're certainly a compelling read. My main problem with them is that besides Kirigiri and the other protagonist (who is also the narrator of the books), every single character that shows up is an extreme one-dimensional caricature with no depth whatsoever. I'm not talking DR/DR2 style stereotype characters that show some depth when you prod them (sometimes only through optional events) - these characters really lack any kind of depth whatsoever. Most of them also have a really unappealing personality with no redeeming characteristics.

The other thing about the Kirigiri novels is that they take the DR grotesque morbidity and full-scale mass murder to an extreme that is sometimes fun until you remember the main character involved with all this stuff is a 12 year old girl. A very competent 12 year old, but still.

They are fun as fair but difficult whodunnit mystery stories and are page turners, I'll give them that.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

So they're DR0.

I wouldn't say so.

Now, don't get me wrong - Kodaka won't win prizes for any of his works for creating deep three dimensional characters (despite what some fangirls say about Komaeda) - but I think DR/Zero is pretty much in line with the games in regard to giving us new characters with a bit of depth to them even if they don't seem so at first. Our two protagonists, Otonashi and Matsuda, are pretty well rounded once you get all the revelations about them and their motivations. Kamishiro is almost all unpleasant caricature, but even he gets a bit at the end of the book that shows at least some thought had been put into his character. Even Madarai, who is only there to serve as an antagonistic obstacle, shows signs of an actual personality.

The Kirigiri characters are nothing like that. They really are as one dimensional as they first appear, and there isn't even a failed attempt to paint them as anything other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Psychodrama posted:

Uh, speaking of novels, since the first game's English release, I've been following DR discussion on a forum that thankfully keeps spoilers strictly tagged, and I read there that a novel came with the release of the game in Japan. People seemed to think that it'd also be included in the Limited Edition release here, but it doesn't look like it, unless I missed seeing it when buying my copy. I'd look it up, but you know...spoilers and poo poo :v: What's the deal with it, and is it worth a read like DR0?

This may refer to Dangan Ronpa IF, which is a post-game feature in SDR2. I'm not sure if the English release will have that intact or not - I haven't heard either way.

• Locked thread