Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Wow, the first time he opens his mouth and GUNDAM has already proven to be the best character in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Zereth posted:

... Okay. I'm reading this correctly, right? His "Four Dark Gods of Destruction" are... those hamsters?

:psyduck:

BEST.

CHARACTER.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Bellmaker posted:

So Willard's on the island. I have to admit, "death by hamster" would be pretty hilarious.

I'm hoping the hamsters turn out to be key witnesses as some point.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Robust Laser posted:

Chiaki can barely speak, never mind scream.

She's a girl AND Japanese. She could post a 4 second video of her standing near a Gameboy Color and get a few million subscribers off the Reddit crowd alone.

Also, is Peko gonna havta cut a bitch?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Seshoho Cian posted:

I made a gang tag that I feel accurately represents the posters in this thread.

(this is just a joke please don't get mad)

This will become the Uncharted 2 Jeff avatar of a new generation.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Togami gonna save everyone by eating Monobear, calling it now.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Monomi's death was so shocking even the hamsters fainted!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Did you add in that Magento reference, or was that already in there? I have no idea how popular X-men is in Japan, so I'm curious.

Also, goddamn Junko :stare:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I really hope Fat Togami turns outs to just be regular old Togami and he came back just so he could gently caress with more crime scenes,

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nidai and then gently caress everyone else, just chill with Nidai and get swole

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Wanna read Gundam's blog.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Every game needs a canned laughter button.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I just hope Chiaki cracks the case by virtue of having played the first game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I thought a fujoshi was one of those loincloth-diaper things samurai wore instead of underpants.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

muike posted:

If you can't Super High School Level Slam with the best, then you can jam with the rest.

I think this was posted the first thread, but it's probably worth posting again.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

NextTime000 posted:

He killed to try to go back to his mom, I see. :smith: Although I do wonder how that conversation would play out...

"hey mom I am back, and I only had to outright murder one of my peers, and sentence 14 others to be executed! so how have things been with you?"

I imagine the conversation would look more like "Hi, mom! I'm home now and absolutely nothing happened, not a single thing. Nope. nothin' at all. How are you?"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Clearly all of the students are alive because the game is an elaborate VR simulation/alien abduction/alien abduction VR simulation and you'll rescue them after defeating the giant Monogoliath that is the game's final boss. You can talk to everyone in the spaceship you stole from the evil Monoemperor.

Except Nanami, she's actually a robot/AI/robot AI sent to play video games and be marketable and thus is forced to inhabit a Monobear robot to interact in the real world.

... Basically I just want DR2 to turn out to be Saint's Row 4. Is that so bad?

*countdown hits zero*

*Mono-Gat emerges*

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Kuzuryuu cut his loving stomach open, and he attended a party that same night without so much as a limp. They didn't even slap a bandage on his sprite or anything. Coach ain't going down from singed chest, c'mon guys.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

He was hit by a bazooka, and I doubt he gets to be rushed to the hospital to be treated not only by who is for all intents and purposes god, and the SHSL nurse. No, he's dead. You think they'd pull the same bait and switch not only twice in the same game, but in the same loving chapter? No way. And he was hit by a bazooka.

They already used it twice on the same character, why not go for the hat trick?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

EdgeryWorthy posted:

The problem is it seems to be the only part of his character. Yes, teenagers are obnoxious and horny, but I was a teenager once. I didn't just sit there all day telling everyone how horny I was or make nonstop references to sex. Souda long since passed the line from "weird but sort of amusing" to "obnoxious gross pervert".

It is his only character trait. This is Dangan Ronpa, where every character's entire personality is built around one joke. Souda's horny, Gundam's overdramatic, Coach dude is intense, etc. Even this whole current illness buffoonery is based on how utterly one dimensional these characters are. Souda sucks because everyone sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

orenronen posted:

I'm not sure I agree with that. For one, pretty much every DR2 character has a richer personality and personal story that only comes through if you follow their Free Time arcs to the end. Souda's no different.

But even without that - Souda's not the most complex character around but being a horny teenager is not the only thing we've been shown: he's also quick to panic and prone to running away instead of dealing with a situation. He has a short fuse. He has specific affections for one girl that have almost nothing to do with the way she looks, but rather with what she is. He actually likes gadgetry and being a mechanic and is apparently good at it. His horniness is also portrayed pretty different from Hanamura's, so it's not really a repeat character trait.

I may have exaggerated a little, but the fact remains that the cast is nearly paper-thin, character wise. Everyone has one gimmick, and they stick to it like glue. Souda's not just horny, yes, but "horny coward" isn't that much better. They only person who is actually more than they appear to be is Yakuza kid, and that whole situation stinks of author's pet, but that's a whole different and much more subjective issue.

DR1 was the same way, but it was kinda charming at the time for some reason. Maybe it was just because DR1 was the first one, and the gimmick hadn't been beaten to death yet. Maybe it's because DR1 never had a plot device that relied on lazy characterization as blatantly as loving "despair influenza" or whatever they're calling it. Part of the appeal of murder mysteries is getting into the character's heads and trying to think like they would to figure out the mystery. It's no fun when the cast just shouts their 2 basic personality traits at you every time you glance their way.

But I'm not even sure if this game is even trying to be a murder mystery anymore, so what do I know?

• Locked thread