Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Catastrophics posted:

The chef is tiny compared to the rest of the cast!

Maybe it's because she's just sat down, but that girl sat just in front of him doesn't seem particularly large either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

windylion posted:

No one else has asked this, so I'm wondering: how the hell is fat Togami in high school again? At the end of DR he's 19. Maybe Fatgami is his son or twin or something.

Well, Togami did make it clear in DR1 that he's part of the DR-Illuminati and all, so I'm thinking he might just be a clone that was made before the Most Despairing Event.

Makes as much sense as anything else, at least.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

IceBorg posted:

Yeah I did, and Silhouette was talking about the monochrome rabbit here:

What monochrome rabbit? That's Monobear and Usami :psyduck:

v Oh, huh I didn't notice that.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 12, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Fedule posted:

There are songs about the sea, but none that I can count on being sufficiently well-known to justify referencing.

Not even this? It immediately came to mind for me, at least.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

IceBorg posted:

With that out of way, the fact that the school invited SHSL Good Luck people every year makes me come to the conclusion that this cast of students are upperclassmen to the DR1 cast!(besides Togami I guess)
Junko in the first game said that Naegi and co. only spent one year in their school year at Hope Academy and then another year at the locked school, so that would mean that Naegi should be the last SHSL Luck the school invited. Of course this is only based on the fact that Nagito isn't Naegi.

From what I remember of the last trial of DR1, I'm pretty sure Naegi et al. were there for 2 years before The Most Despairing Event happened. Naegi's invite made it sound like he was the first SHSL-Luck too, so I think that either Komaeda said it's an annual thing to cover his tracks (if he is Naegi incognito) or ever since Naegi got in, it was intended to be an annual thing after all and Komaeda got the second/last Luck invite.

So, either way, it's certainly possible for these guys to be the DR1 cast's underclassmen; upper seems like too much of a stretch right now. Really, though, Togami's existence here is a pretty noticable issue with either but I expect that to be resolved later.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

She is; she refers to other HPA students as her classmates in passing near the start of the chapter.

Rith posted:

It sounds to me as if her 'treatment' is actually causing her amnesia. I have two theories: the neurologist is a member of Super High-school Level Despair, developing the technology that Junko will later use for the memory wipe, or the neurologist isn't a member of Super High-school Level Despair and Junko stole the technology, in which case Hope's Peak Academy (if it's funding this research) is a lot more alarming than I ever realised. What sort of institution uses its students for experiments like this?

It might be the other way around too; Junko could have caused her memory issues as a test to see how well it works and any issues with it. Meanwhile, Matsuda's trying to figure out how to fix it or at least come up with a temporary solution or something.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

But he has a male voice. It's not even like Nagito or Chihiro who have female voice actors.

Chihiro had a male voice actor too..?

e;dammit, beaten.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Powerfrog posted:

I think Oren and Fedule explained it as desu being tacked onto everything is what they use to make her sound cute, but as there isn't really an English way to represent that, Fedule had to be cweative.

You're thinking of Usami. Nanami's the SHSL gamer.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Let's hang out with Kuzuryuu and Souda.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

A Detective Conan quote immediately followed by a Sherlock one? Oh, Monobear, you haven't changed at all. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Skunkrocker posted:

Holy poo poo I am a goddamn genius. Allow me to solve this whole thing all at once with two screenshots.

How about that? The table was moved, not the body.

What about the other 2 tables that have also been "moved"? :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

tiistai posted:

There's no chance involved on the killer's part. They saw the knife or more likely someone planting the knife, and then decided to wait under the floor for them to eventually go for the knife. The only thing that happened by chance was Togami ending up as the victim.

Except, someone going fully under the table at all was pure chance. If Nagito did put the knife there, he'd just have to lift the tablecloth, and stick his arm under to grab it. He's kind of a tall guy, so this would be more than doable. If someone was waiting under the floorboards to stab Nagito, they'd get his hand and... then what?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Nefarious Asparagus posted:

As an aside, though, can we stop using red herring to refer to suspects who end up not being the murderer?

Only if Fred stops accusing him of everything else first. :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

I suspect that Gundam's story as to how he got his earring back is gonna blow this one wide open.

Yeah; Nagito and Hinata both noticed it, so I'm expecting them to ask about it pretty quickly. Probably after going through stuff relating to the murder weapon and how it can't be the knife because it's too big for those wounds.

So, it looks like Togami was killed with a skewer from under the floorboards. Guess that means Hanamura did it (or is our most likely suspect, at least), though I'm curious as to where he hid it beforehand now.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Falls Down Stairs posted:

For speculation's sake it might be worth making a big list of Junko facts.

1. Works as a model
2. Has a sister
3. Is bugfuck insane

I think that about covers it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I get the impression that Hanamura here just seems more suspect than Souda, Mahiru or Pekoyama because so far he's most people's number 1 suspect, so they're looking for the slightest thing to pin against him even if it doesn't really work. As is, I agree that he's still most likely to be the culprit but he's been not even remotely suspicious in the trial yet. At least wait for him to have the rope to use, before accusing him of hanging himself. :v:

If anything, the fact that he was panicking the most before getting in the elevator and is now super-calm is the oddest part of his behaviour so far. No idea what would cause such a sudden change so quickly, so it's probably just for gameplay convenience or something.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I love how they keep bringing up ideas debated in the thread. Kuzuryuu coming out with the suggestion that Pekoyama's food was drugged was amazing.

Nidai's interjection was even more amazing, though. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

So is this the first time that Hanamura has had a nose bleed appear out of no where? Am I reading too much in thinking that this makes him look awfully suspicious?

No, he's had them before. And reading anything into it beyond "it's an anime thing" is reading too much into it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

quote:

Counterargument Showdowns

Oh yeah, that reminds me: orenronen, does the game ever refer to them by a different name? Because, after double-checking, on the OST they're referred to as something else.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Tomn posted:

It may not be impossible, but here's my question to you - do you want to risk your life on being able to kill someone in the dark without getting their blood on you or screwing up your initial attack? [...] If it's dark enough that you can't pick out the stationary food on the stationary plate in front of you, what are the odds of successfully murdering and not screwing it up?

I think you may have just stumbled upon the relevance of Mikan's unfortunate position when the lights came back on. People got caught up on it being due to a trapdoor or something else that Togami's murderer did, but if she was tripped by someone in the dark (e.g. Komaeda, since he's the biggest suspect for that aspect) then they'd know roughly where she was. They'd possibly even have a guiding line to her, much like the lamp to the knife, depending on how they did it, and the paint on the knife should cast enough light to be able to see exactly where she is.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and she just got knocked over when Togami went running for the knife. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Spatula City posted:

It's like the curious incident of the dog in the night time.

The dog did nothing in the night time!
"That was the curious incident."

Dunno how I missed that Hanamura didn't respond at all; guess at this point, I just took it for granted without actually checking. Because it's Hanamura and that's been his thing. I suppose with that minor issue out of the way, though, the only things left that we can't really account for is maybe(?) the fire door. Looking over the list HangedMan put together, everything else seems to fit reasonably well then.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Who can forget the greatness of :ocelot:

I think that out of all the LP related smilies, at least that one's pretty good.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

SectumSempra posted:

Ok so if he's not the culprit, what happens if you pick the correct culprit instead of Komaeda?

You'd almost definitely get that choice wrong, because that was for "who could reach the knife" not "who stabbed Togami."

Minus Green posted:

Didn't they suspend a trial in the first game, to investigate Chihiro further? It just didn't actually say "Classroom Trial Suspended".

Yeah, but that was just one scene. This implies it's going to be a bit more than a single mid-trial scene. I'm interested in seeing what the hell is going to happen that warrants actually suspending the entire trial for some length over.

e;

lotus circle posted:

Seeing how Hanamura was trying to rush the voting, I think it's still safe to say he's the culprit now that Nagito is officially out of the running.

I agree that Hanamura is still looking like the most likely suspect, but this one aspect adds nothing. Saionji, Kuzuryuu, and even Gundam to an extent were saying to just end it there and vote now.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 26, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Call Now posted:

Lux-Pain had a voiced protagonist, but he only speaks when he's talking to himself.

Or during anything plot relevant.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Kudzu posted:

Wouldn't that be the same for Nagito? I don't know if there can be two people with the same SHSL.

We don't know when SDR2 is set in comparison to DR1, though is the thing; if it was only one person could ever have an SHSL talent ever that wouldn't make much sense. You can't exactly be Super High School level when you're not in high school, and it'd mean Hope's Peak would run out of possible students very quickly too. Given how they want to study talent, that'd be contradictory to why they exist in the first place.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

DrManiac posted:

Did the game ever establish what would happen if a single person voted wrong?

Monobear calls them out on it, like when Ishimaru voted for Togami and not Mondo.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I thought in Kirigiri's case she was referring to the scarring on her hand.

Pretty sure that's not it, considering she got them long before ever entering Hope's Peak.

If anything, considering she was super perceptive she could've noticed that she was slightly taller than she remembered and stuff.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 4, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Anatharon posted:

For the record, searching Kirakira is almost certainly not going to bring up terms related to Danganronpa.

It doesn't. It brings up an American young adult book and a completely unrelated visual novel. Absolutely nothing to do with this game at all.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Of course it is. It's a thing in this game that was in something else first, so it appearing here must be a reference! :pseudo:

Bisensual posted:

Well, I am certainly curious about Nanami's backstory now. I really want the next free time event to be with her.

I dunno, three more arbitrary video game references and "so much of a borderline shut-in she doesn't know what a holiday is!" isn't particularly interesting to me.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

GenericMartini posted:

E: Can I ask again why everyone hates Owari? I'm not her biggest fan or anything but I don't get the hate for someone who hasn't really done anything besides eat and have a duel.

I don't think anyone really hates her. It's just that, like you said, she hasn't really done anything so it'd be hard to really have much of an opinion of her right now.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Ryushikaze posted:

No, Monobear always had to be controlled by Junko. I'd gather he still is, even if she 'isn't.'

Not always, no. Enoshima was clearly, clearly dead at the end of DR1 but Monobear could still move around on his own accord immediately afterwards.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Judging from her tastes, I wouldn't be that surprised if Sonia had seen Meitantei no Okite at some point. Though thinking about it it's perhaps too recent for the game to reference or perhaps even, ironically, Sonia to know anything about. Shame too, since that'd be an interesting way to bring the Liar Game reference from Celes' events in the previous game full circle since Shota Matsuda's the male lead in both.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

What's a "pua"?

Pickup Artist. Basically generally unsocial people who hit on women by actively insulting them because a book told them to do it (by painting it in a negative light).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

CandyCrazy posted:

Thanks to DR1 Ch. 2, we know there needs to be four people who realized Koizumi was dead when the body announcement went off,

We know nothing of the sort. There's no indication one way or the other of if the culprit counts towards the three people limit; chapter 2 of DR1's has no indication either, since Mondo's "discovery" was after the announcement. It was Togami, Naegi and Ishimaru who were the first three to find Chihiro.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Torino posted:

Does everyone just stare at Hinata and wait patiently, wondering what the hell he's doing?

I always just figured the anagrams, dives and the first half of the Climax Inference weren't played out in real-time. Hiyoko's quip about how long Hinata was thinking, though, really makes me wonder with this one.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Amusing note, based off that same list? Yamada's voiced by the guy who did Blue in the recent Pokemon: Origins dub.

And Naegi is voiced by Bryce Papenbrook, who was Red. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It's only easy for KH because that's essentially, if not outright, a Disney IP anyway. Getting him for something like this would be ungodly expensive.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

TKMobile posted:

You reveal the twist that you've been dousing your hostages with pathogens and then, oh say, offer to cure it if someone dies. Sit back and watch as the group unity starts to unravel even further after that lunkhead challenge's got the muscleman in the group hospitalized. This is a loving EVIL plan, but... Monobear didn't exactly come out and say he'd offer a mono-booster shot to everybody if they show him a corpse, did he?

In fact, He just seems to be sitting back and exclaiming that "Oh, hey, you all got the crazy. THIS should get you back into the killing spirit." This is the part that's hurting my puzzler. Is he expecting someone to get a Kill-People strain of the Virus, or is this just to sew chaos around and somebody's going to try taking advantage of it?

You're thinking way too hard about this.

You kill someone, you get off the island. The island now has a few people infected with a disease that Monobear straight up said is incredibly contagious and airborne. It also makes you insane, and act in a manner in which you wouldn't normally. By killing someone and getting off the island, you are not going to catch the disease. This is not a complicated plan in the least.

What the disease does is, for that intent, completely irrelevant. It could be anything really, but all that matters is its contagious and bad enough to make you want to kill someone. Whether it's Monobear's despair disease or something more like the Spanish Flu makes no difference at all in that regard. That is is the despair thing is just so it's thematically appropriate.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Fedule posted:

Originally: The Komadori Sisters. A super-popular post-war musical twin act, known for rising into stardom from poverty and still active today in their 70s. Any Japanese person over 20 knows who they are, but they're so obscure in the west they don't even have an English Wikipedia page.

Oh, neat. I kinda figured it was Chang and Eng, but then that wouldn't really necessitate changing since most people know who they were anyway. Probably wouldn't really have worked in the context, but that doesn't stop most things I've seen that need lazy twin names (or references or the like). Seem to almost always use either those two, or Castor and Pollux if they're feeling daring with it :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Please source your quotes.

Pretty sure it's this.

• Locked thread