Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
^ Uh? The video calls him Byakuya Togami, which was also the name of DR1 Togami.

Tollemache posted:

Dusting off my very limited understanding of Japanese particles, it might work as 'Makoto Naega da', meaning 'It's Makoto Naegi'.

I believe so, yes. However, the thing you're not considering is physical features. Naegi is short, clocking in at 160 cm. Togami is reasonably tall, clocking in at 185 cm.

Komaeda is taller than Fatgami, it seems. If it's the same Togami, and it seems it is, Naegi either underwent the most ridiculous of growth spurts, or it ain't him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

orenronen posted:

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

I highly recommend clicking that music link there.

Wait. Why is the name of the song "Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson", when she calls herself Usami? Something is fishy.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Xander77 posted:

If I'm counting correctly (and my math/gender role skills were always suspect), you'd still have one "extra" girl if that were the case.

You're not counting correctly. I kept coming to the same conclusion until I realised that Hinata isn't in the pictures because Hinata is our point of view character.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Jeek posted:

I will die laughing if they are referring to Junko (remember how she claims to be superior both physically and mentally in the last trial?)

I doubt it. As for why:

Dangan Ronpa Zero posted:

A series of gears and switches began moving deep inside her skull, sparking pitch black thoughts. A certain object floated up inside her mind. A face. It was a face she knew, of course. The face of a fellow student at Hope's Peak Academy.

I think Kirigiri and Junko are referring to the same student, who carries a special brand of hope. We can't have that many "that students" running around.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Zest posted:

I thought the first death was Enoshima/Mukuro due to excessive perforation :confused:

Mukuro was killed when she complained about there being a trial after Maizono's death.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I've never learned this term despite experiencing plenty of anime exposure and foreign culture in general, so that tells me that it's pretty much just a goony anime word. This reeks of "YOU CAN'T SAY 'COMRADE' YOU HAVE TO SAY 'NAKAMA'" to me.

You could at least translate it for the people who don't know what it is. That at least would have been better

So what you're saying is that a hikikkomori is a Japanese shut-in.

More specifically, the hikikomori is a term for the epidemic of shut-ins stemming from the constant societal pressure on children to study their asses off every day of their lives. At the same time, the expectations that the Japanese have to themselves, such as having to always conform to society as a whole results in people being relatively easily broken when meeting with failure, for example academic. Adding to this, a lot of parents are fairly hands-off and don't interact all that much with their children, for example due to working fairly long hours. This keeps them from noticing that their children are getting more withdrawn, until we end up with people that literally don't leave the house for periods longer than half a year and more. Government reports say that there are around 700000 hikikomori in Japan, and that their average age is 31. They pretty generally stay inside living off their parents.

This was a lot of words to pretty much say "Yes, it's a shut-in, but an epidemic of shut-ins caused by Japanese society being so... Japanese."

And yes, this would mean that staying inside to avoid going to murder games would not make them hikikomori, just regular shut-ins.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

It seems safe to say that the various characters are going to break into smaller groups and form friendships. I don't know who could possibly tolerate Gundam for any extended period of time, though. Gundam makes for some good jokes, but he is sort of insufferable.

He could possibly bond with Nidai. Gundam raises animals, Nidai raises people (sort of). I hope we will get some discussions on the similarities and differences between raising animals and people. Outside of that pair, I completely agree that it's hard to imagine who would actually voluntarily spend time with the Ascendant Ruler of Ice Animal breeder.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Togami and Nidai

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

CrashScreen posted:

Like what Aoi did with the court case in the first game? Or nearly everyone in that case?

e: I guess it would be cool to see how that'd affect the dynamic in this game, with how Togami is pushing for everyone's trust. It isn't beyond the game to do that either.

Right, but both the times someone failed at murdering, something else happened to take the attention away. With Maizono, the one who attempted murder died, and with the Aoi court case, it was shown that she was induced to do so by Monobear loving around with evidence... making the game unfair and galvanising everyone in their resistance towards Monobear.

The interesting thing would be how the crew would react to someone who was an attempted murderer, but who didn't die, and who wasn't pushed to it by Monobear.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Personally, I'm more curious about the taped up knife. Who taped it there? It can't have somehow come from the Peko-box, because it was taped under the table(and seemingly glowing), which doesn't make much sense. if you somehow went and grabbed it from the Peko-box during the blackout, taping it under the table and then using it would be weird. It's not a knife from the kitchen, because they were all accounted for (and shoved into the Peko-box), except for a single skewer.

Nagito was around all the time, except for when he went to the store to get a carpet, so no one could have put the knife up outside of that timeframe. Hanamura was in the kitchen, but as far as we know, he was in the kitchen all day. He didn't have time to get a knife from outside. This leaves us with the only reasonable suspect for taping the knife there being Nagito after he returned from the convenience store (where he might have grabbed a knife in addition to the carpet.)

If we listen to what's going on during the blackout.

Togami: "What are you doing?"
Togami: "Stop it!!"
Someone, as far as I can hear it's Nagito, but I'm not completely sure of that: "Ow"

First of all I think this shows that Togami was the one with the night vision glasses. There's something going on which he doesn't like one bit, followed by someone saying ow. Considering that there doesn't seem to be blood anywhere else, I think it's safe to assume he was stabbed where he was found. Presumably he went under the table to grab the knife after having had a minor scuffle with someone in the dark... and this is where things get hairy. There are essentially two competing hypotheses.
Hypothesis 1: whoever he yelled at and made say "ow" had a second weapon (the skewer?). Problems with this hypothesis: It is weird to have a plan with a knife taped up under a table if you already have a weapon within range you can use if you can't get the knife. If this hypothesis holds, the murderer seems to be Nagito
Hypothesis 2: Whoever he yelled at and made say "ow" didn't kill Togami, being unarmed. This would necessitate that we have two attempted murderers, one successful one and one less successful one. Problems with this hypothesis: This would require two possible murderers who both knew ahead of time that there was going to be a blackout. One hid a skewer and the other hid a knife. If this hypothesis holds, the murderer seems to be Hanamura Someone hid the skewer, and if it isn't Nagito (in which case we're pretty much back at Hypothesis 1), then it has to be Hanamura.

Judging from the fact that the blood is in a pool underneath Togami's body, he would have to be attacked from below (possibly from the front for a stab to the chest), but Togami can see in the dark, Nagito wouldn't be able to, and I doubt Nagito would attack Togami from the front with a skewer, knowing that Togami can see him. I think I have a little bit more confidence in Hypothesis 2, but, well, we just don't have enough knowledge to say for sure yet.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Hm, yeah, if you want to keep with a strict blade metaphor, it's going to be hard to find something that isn't groan-worthy. You could make the blade connection slightly less explicit and go with something like "I will strike down this claim!", but I dunno. It does have the advantage of the metaphorical and the literal use both being fairly common, though.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The game does sometimes confirm implausible theories sometimes.

Take the first murder: The game basically confirmed that during the blackout, Hanamura got his murder weapon and portable stove, closed the fire doors, used the light from the stove to reach the supply closet - heading away from the table, I should note. Then he put on a tablecloth to prevent blood from splattering on him, and made his way under the table and waited for the light to be blocked... all before Nagito could follow the cord he was standing right next to to the table he was standing next to and get the knife. The sheer number of actions Hanamura needed to do made the timing on that implausible, but the game confirmed it.

I suppose we can't really use implausibility as a reason to deny a theory.

Except, of course, that Nagito actually didn't manage to make his way under the table, but was knocked away by Togami who then decided to look for whatever it was Nagito went for.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Alien Arcana posted:

Isn't that just SHSL Luck again?

Luck picks out a random untalented person by random. What he's proposing is a person who is so unnaturally incompetent at everything that it becomes a talent in its own right. Legitimately and purposefully selected because he is unable to do anything right. Flip a coin and ask him what it is? He'll do it wrong every time except for the times where you're counting on him doing it wrong.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

TKMobile posted:

Ho'kay...

Going basic theory is that Mikan did it. She's the only person who can enter and leave the hospital at night, she killed Ibuki at night and set up the video, before stringing up the corpse over at the club. She 'sleeps' with Hinata then leads him into the hospital before MB wakes up everybody. Hinata sees the staged video and runs over to the club to see a Dead Ibuki. Meanwhile Mikan is right now either hanging around somewhere to cement her alibi, or she's killing somebody else at this moment.

Well, I'd add a bit to this. A friend and I discussed the update for a while, trying to figure out if we had any clues. First of all, I don't think the video systems have any recording functions. That would be the kind of thing that would have been mentioned when Souda first talked about the video systems, right? So it seems like the video would have to be live transmitted. But is it purely accidental then that Hinata saw it, then? The good morning signal hadn't sounded yet, so presumably no one would be certain to be awake at this point...except Mikan woke Hinata up. So that's a strike against Mikan, at least. But it does seem a little risky to make Ibuki hang herself at this point. At any rate,

Mikan: Monobear hasn't made his announcement yet, so I think Mioda-san is still asleep...
Mikan: Oh, I’m sorry for speaking out of turn! And, well... I can’t actually be sure that she is, but...
Mikan: B...But... We shouldn't wake up the patients... So let's go check Komaeda-san's condition first.

is a bit suspicious, knowing that Ibuki is probably dead at this point. Well, Mikan goes to rest in the disused rest ward upstairs.

Wooden floors, just like

The conclusion I'm drawing from this is that the rest area upstairs has been turned into a reasonable facsimile of the bar. What Hinata saw in the video was Mikan pretending to be Ibuki killing herself. Ibuki was killed sometime during the night.

Mikan is the only person who would know when she could expect someone to look at the video, because she (unintentionally?) made Hinata wake up before the announcement. Mikan is the only one who wouldn't have to Solid Snake her way past Mikan (who was up all night), AND would know that the two boys weren't around. The point of the video feed is to confuse us about the time of death, to make it look like suicide and to use Hinata as an alibi.

I am fully aware that some of these points may be wrong, but it does feel like a coherent explanation.

This is only a preliminary hypothesis, but it seems like the facts we know for now generally support it. Whether the rest area has in fact been turned into something looking like the music club will probably make or break this hypothesis.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

" Every morning and evening, 30 minutes after Monobear's announcement, we'll use the monitors to talk to the other group."

So, 9.30 or whenever it is in the morning and 22.30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Why do we need to set up a false time of death? Someone could just tell Ibuki "in six hours go to the Titty Typhoon, turn on the communicator, dress up, and hang yourself to death" and she'd carry it out to a T.

Who would see it then? It happens before Monobear's morning announcement. The communicator is on because the culprit wants someone to see this, but wouldn't you then put it at a time where people would be expected to be awake?

• Locked thread