Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

miguelito posted:

The characters in this are so much better than DR1, it's ridiculous.

Really? Based on designs alone, I am having the opposite response. I understand that the game is, in all likelihood anyway, using elements of DR1 characters to play with and subvert the expectations of people who are familiar with that game. Putting aside Fat Togami and not-Naegi, who have already been kind of fun, my reaction to seeing the new cast was to think it was some sort of joke. Or that all of these look- and feel-alikes were going to be killed off and the real cast would show up.

Obviously it is still very early and we know next to nothing about 13/16 of them, but from an art perspective my initial feeling is that they overdid it a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

The crossdressing thing is pretty ridiculous. The dude is wearing a full suit and a hat on a desert island, and he has made it clear that he hates pretty much everyone and just wants to be a gangster. That's sufficient explanation for not wanting to go swimming

I wonder why he is even at Hope's Peak Academy in the first place. Acceptance/selection hasn't been shown to equate to attendance; I don't think we've learned that you can't opt out. Is the name really so ubiquitous that someone like Kuzuryuu, who clearly has his own stuff going out and probably don't care much about furthering his education, would bother going? Would he really be interested in the the benefits of being a Hope's Peak graduate?

I guess the same could be said for some DR1 characters, though, and their placement only made sense once we learned a bit more about them. I am thinking of Mondo and Togami, here.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Fedule posted:

Suggestion: Don't make far-reaching (like, endgame-scope) speculations you wouldn't be willing to Toxx yourself to.

I feel like this might bring out the absolute worst in the "spoilers disguised as speculation" people. I have no idea why people want to guess at the impossible to guess at this point. There's enough stuff to discuss with what is going on in each update; zooming out twenty hours of gameplay to guess at the endgame is so silly.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

And I am sure her talents go way beyond Let's Play art! Does she have any central location for all of her art that she's shared before? I like it a lot.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Miss Kalle posted:

and what other outfits they'll have Monobear wear.

If I had to guess: Monobear, Ju-Do, Basketball, Football, Valetudo, X-Treme, Seven, Wrestling, Cheerleader, Mascot, Manager, and Astronaut.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Sonia Nevermind is definitely my favorite character so far. Not feeling as strong about anyone else so far, but I would like to see what else Peko Pekoyama is all about.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

It's not hard to see why the mods are really cracking down on worthless posts. This thread is getting too huge without them.

It makes me wonder if there is a more elegant solution to voting, as we're going to add like ten pages of essentially nothing every time there's something to vote on.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

slowbeef posted:

4. Haven't we had this discussion before?

Which time?

I can't wait until there's an actual case, because this totally unfounded, meta-speculation is white noise nonsense to scroll past between updates.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Zyxyz posted:

Working on the Dangan Ronpa 2 class in Perler beads now. Here’s the first set, including Usami/Monomi/“the Monohare”. The limitations of the Perler color palette can be frustrating to work with, but at least these sprites require far less editing than the original class.

Oh wow, these are great!

I have been thinking about making patters and doing a cross stitch collection in a similar vein, since that is sort of the limit of my own creative ability. Seeing as how neat these look, I think I will have to get serious about it. Has a sprite pack like that DR1 been posted in this thread yet? I don't remember seeing one, but going out searching seems like a bad idea.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

I guess I specifically meant the sprites of the main cast and nothing more. Something like the one in Zyxyz's link, and what (I assume) he or she is now working from.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Actually making good on something I said I would do, I made an Fanart Thing:

It's essentially redundant in light of Zyxyz's Perler work earlier in the thread, but it beats 95% of the patterns that the craft places around here carry. It's also my first time doing one of these off a pattern I created (from the pixel art, obviously). I took a few liberties/shortcuts with the colors, but think most of my decisions worked out ok. I am still on the fence about just doing a single thread around the hair instead of the full stitch. Think of it as a test.

From here out, my plan is to do them in memory of the murdered characters. I did Nagito here as a test for old times sake. If he ever does bite it, maybe I'll redo him based on any feedback or from a different sprite or something. Hinata, Monobear, and Monomi I plan to do intermittently.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

So what you are saying is that the island is actually the Big Shell?

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Big man down. :(

Good night, sweet prince Super High-School Level Heir.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Our hero.

I have a few questions that I was hoping with someone involved with the thread, translation, or art asset editing might be able to help me out with. Basically, I have been thinking about embroidering the character's names along side them, but would like to maybe do it in both English and in the original Japanese characters. I obviously have the former, but if anyone could provide the latter here I would appreciate it. I don't want to go poking around and end up spoiled in a dumb way.

Also: do 8-bit sprites for Monobear and Monomi exist? I don't remember seeing any in the game yet.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Your cross-stitches are neat. Have you figured out what you're going to do with them in the end?

Thank you! I have a lot of fun doing them. It's not the most creative hobby, since it pretty much amounts to following directions (much like doing Legos or something) but scratches a certain itch for cheap.

As for what I'll do with the set, I was hoping to give it to orenronen or anyone else who help share this game with so many people who might have never knew it existed otherwise. I have no idea if they'd be interested, but I was planning to get in contact once everything is done here. I sort of feel like making stuff is not about keeping it, and giving things away is the best thing you can do with something that you've made. Plus postage, even internationally, wouldn't amount to very much for a box of ~20 little swatches of fabric.

Also, thank you for the link, Nefarious Asparagus!

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

FedoraDefender420 posted:

She hasn't really been enjoying it too much so don't be weird and try to get her to join, that never goes well.

I really like her art and her comic, but her attitude is just so abrasive to me. It's totally cool that she doesn't like DR, but there's a difference between "I don't like it" or even "I think it is bad", and something like "stupid anime baby melodrama simulator." It's that sort of provocative, basically-saying-people-who-do-like-it-are-stupid-or-at-least-tasteless sentiment that has been tweeted ad infinitum.

I promise: it's not like it's hurting my feelings as someone who likes these games, but I think it's just a sort of gross way to be.

I hope she draws more stuff though?

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

I'm just glad we didn't start things off with the SHSL Cook serving Togami for dinner.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Until this vid, I thought 'moe' was pronounce 'moo', thinking that listening to anime fan-talk is about as interesting as listening to cows talk. Now I know it's 'moh-ay', which is even worse.

I recommend playing No More Heroes, or at least watching the LP, as soon as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

slowbeef posted:

I'm kinda more about the murder mysteries and the dwindling characters. Am I alone there?

Absolutely not.

I sort of have trouble caring about DR0 for this reason: it seems concerned with the greater Dr universe when I'm really just here for the interactions between characters in this bubble. Maybe if I had found the end of the first game to be deeply satisfying I would feel differently and be excited for any clues as to the big picture, but as things stand now, eh.

On the other hand, games like 999 and VLR sort of ended up being more about what is going on?? over the individuals, for me.

• Locked thread