Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The result of the polls isn't worth getting worked up about. As long as we somehow get a satisfying helping of anyone before they're inevitably offed, any character out of this dysfunctional lot is fine.

So, I don't know if this ever came up in the last thread, but there is something I've been wondering. Those vocals in "Mr. Monokuma's Lesson". It sounds like it's just there to be goofy at first, but is that based on anything? Taking out the bouncy music, and it sounds as if it could be prayer or ritual chanting from some religion or another (Islam, maybe?) Its pairing with the wailing female vocals in some of the execution tracks from the first game makes it seem even more so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Mikan reminds me of a worse version of Fukawa from the first game. Does she have an alternate persona? It only stands to reason that it wouldn't be as good as Genocider Syo. Because nothing is as good as Genocider Syo.

So, I really like how Monobear specifically doesn't explain the bomb. :buddy:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Falls Down Stairs posted:

One thing that surprised me about the poll was Akane was dead last. Though I guess that's what happens when you don't say or do anything interesting at all in the most recent update (I seriously forgot she even appeared until I went back to check).

My guess is that it's not that Akane isn't a compelling character, but that everything about her seems to be illustrated very clearly. She's an athlete, she loves food, she loves getting in fights, she has no social graces. Of course that's probably all going to be turned on its head at some point, but she's not as conspicuously bizarre as people like Mikan and Nevermind.

Speaking of athletes, I'm getting the same "formal, honorable warrior" vibe from Peko that Sakura had in the first one. Right down to having ironic names -- "Sakura" being extremely feminine, "Peko" sounding really cutesy. Only where Sakura was passionate, Peko's all calm and composed. Sakura turned out to be exceedingly good-hearted, so it makes me wonder if Peko's going to end up being the opposite.

The again, the writers might've even made the similarity deliberate to lead the player on. Man, these games are so much fun to follow.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Athar1007 posted:

Just my two cents:

Nagito being tasked with cleaning duty means he's gonna be the ONLY ONE WITH A SOLID ALIBI when the first murder happens.

How's that for good luck?

Or he may end up being the victim, and everyone has an alibi because nobody was helping him.

Your "good luck" ain't nothin' on Monobear's isle of despair. :tinfoil:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

orenronen posted:

You betcha! Novoselic's royal castle has stood strong for a thousand years.

Since you mention it being particularly tricky, Oren: if I may be so bold as to request, Princess Nevermind's use of random informalities would make a great subject for translation talk. It'd be cool to know just what it is you're working with there.

Off the cuff, I'm gonna predict that this character ends up being way more stalwart and proactive than she appears at a glance. She's weird, too, but not as straight-up wacky as types like Ibuki or Nekomaru. Also, she's like Togami's bizarro counterpart.

Speaking of, Fatgami is no end of :stare:. Something is up with him, and as has been said, the game is going out of it's way to rub that in our faces.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 13, 2013

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

There is no way Kuzuryuu is going to end up being the first victim. His antics earlier would lead you to believe that someone would want to take him out, but this is Dangan Ronpa. It's never going to be that straightforward. :colbert:

I've got two unrelated questions if anyone qualified happens to have an answer:

- What's a good place to buy the DR1 art book? I loving love art books, and if I can't play the game, it's the least I could do to support something related to the franchise.

- On the note of avatar-talk, I'm thinking of hopping on this godawful bandwagon by getting a Genocider Syo (because she is the best) but would there be a problem there considering it's a spoiler for the first game?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

You know, Akane could be what Aoi from DR1 might have become after a few bad days.

They look practically identical, the only main physical differences being hairstyle and demeanor. Where once there was a passion for sports and donuts, there is now a passion for sports and everything edible. Once reserved and non-confrontational, now completely uninhibited and looking for any excuse to throw a punch.

It'd be funny if Togami actually turned out to be someone different but this speculation actually was true.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Oh man, I didn't even notice the red/blue thing. I'm starting to wonder if that speculation could actually be true, or if it's just them making an extremely blatant callback.

Maybe Aoi put on a few extra inches by dipping into Sakura's stash of protein coffee (because video game science works that way).

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Maizono was weak. Maizono was a fool. Maizono had to manipulate in order to get her way.

Princess Nevermind does not manipulate.

Princess Nevermind commands. :black101:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Skunkrocker posted:

- Dancer is a psychopath.
- Criminal is missing.
- Swordgirl had access to the breakers.
- Chef had his untensils taken.
- Gymnast smelled blood when no one else did.
- Not-nagei is not who he seems.
- Coach was denied potty time.
- Nurse is purposefully clumsy.
- Gamer knows how to use nightvision.
- Mechanic is panicking.
- Princess is not used to being bossed around.
- Musician is acting like everything is cool.
- Animalguy wants to be evil, also his earring went missing.
- Photographer has no reason, which is the best reason of all: plausible deniability.

That's a good sum-up. The trouble is, no one has reason to have genuine antipathy towards Togami -- unless the reason is incredibly petty.

Except Monobear.

So, maybe whomever the mole is (because there is a mole, how could there not be) pulled something. Though it's unlikely they're directly responsible.

Anyway, taking things a bit further...

- Saionji's a creep, but she'd be more dangerous, say, to Gundam's hamsters -- she hasn't yet expressed interest in killing humans, so she would have needed time to work herself up. Would a target as large as Togami make sense? I'd be more afraid if I were Hanamura or Koizumi, the least intimidating of this lot. She seems most likely to prey upon the helpless.
- Kuzuryuu made a scene. Unless he's critically moronic (and he's supposed to be a seasoned criminal, whatever his age), he wouldn't make the first strike because he knows he'd be suspected. In fact, he'd want to stay as far away from the rest of them as possible until he's good and ready to make a move -- but then, could this just be a deliberate alibi?
- Pekoyama seems too rational to lash out first.
- Hanamura...why would he want to kill the guy who'd clearly most appreciate his art? Unless he were actually concerned that Togami might devour everything and leave the rest of them with nothing?
- Owari was too busy stuffing her face. If she was going to lash out at Togami, it would have been when he was stopping her from digging in.
- Komaeda...I got nothin'. He's too much of an unknown. The only thing I can think of is his conspicuous similarity to Naegi and some utterly wild speculation that he is Naegi, has been brainwashed by Monobear, and is acting on his behalf.
- Nidai seems unstable.
- Tsumiki is only a suspect if she's a ludicrously good actress.
- Nanami I have no counterpoints for. She seems like she's trying to obfuscate something with her spaciness.
- Souda could have utterly freaked out. But...eh, he reminds me of Leon, and why have that guy be the first culprit twice? :v:
- Nevermind hasn't nearly gotten to the point where she's so fed up with this that she's ready to execute anybody.
- Mioda could also be trying to obfuscate something. I'm suspicious of her.
- Come on, unless they find tiny hamster bites all over Togami's jugular, can Gundam really be responsible?
- Koizumi is so non-distinctive (besides being somewhat passive-aggressive) that it feels like she's hiding something. But if she is, it probably wouldn't be revealed yet, speaking from a narrative standpoint, so why would she be the first culprit?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

So, it could be that a murder was premeditated, but not necessarily Togami's murder.

Whomever it was had been aware that a blackout was coming, and planned on offing whomever presented the easiest target, which in this case might have been Togami. I think both the knife and the goggles are a red herring, if this was the case, probably planted by the killer. The knife is covered in blood -- could it be animal blood, from raw meat? That supports the idea that Hanamura is responsible. Who would place a knife and goggles under the table, though? Nagito, since he was in there earlier?

We need to know more about other possible murder weapons, or at the very least, the fatal wound. Come on, Monobear. Show up and give us our case document. :argh:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I think, to help narrow down the suspects, we can go by their immediate reactions to see whether or not they had anything to do with this.

Total nonchalance?

Innocent as it gets.

Immediately making GBS threads yourself?

No worries, he's legit.

Rabies?

Guilty or no, she needs to be quarantined for everyone's safety.

:stare:

Nervous and sweaty?

Yeah, I'd buy that if you didn't already act that way all the drat time. You're on the watchlist, nurse. :colbert:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Kuzuryuu seems like he's on the same character arc as Togami from the first game. This probably has little to do with this particular case, but I can see him going down a similar direction. He's kind of fun to watch, either way. What an adorable little rear end in a top hat. :3:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

If this is, in fact, a direct-continuity sequel to DR1, and Mr. Porkfeet is the real Byakuya Togami...

quote:

...then this is the only correct answer. :catbert:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Krinkle posted:

He ate himself fat specifically so that wouldn't happen! She only kills people who turn her on. So much effort and it just made him easier to stab in the dark...

That depends, of course, on whether or not our "rotten girl" can also appreciate big beautiful men. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

So, it seems like Nagito's a member of SHSL Despair, or at least loves it the same way Junko did.

Part of me, though, is suspicious that a combination of Orenronen's update pacing and Dangan Ronpa itself is wanting us to believe this, and we're about to get another Genocider Syo-style reveal -- unconnected, but still a psycho.

Either way, Nagito just because a hell of a lot more fun to watch. I hope he's not the culprit, because this crazy poo poo needs to keep up.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Everyone's gonna be eatin' crow when we find out that the hamsters are the real killer.

I sincerely hope that this turns out to be true sooner or later.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

So, Monobear's vocal theme, that "rama-lama mamah ooh-wah muh-muh" or whatever.

Showing up, as it does, in "Mr. Monobear's Extracurricular Lesson" and the various executions. Is that actually something significant?

It sounds to me like it could be some kind of religious chanting or prayer-intonation. Islamic, maybe, or Hindu? v:v:v At first it just sounds kind of goofy, but if it's actually taken from a religious source, and when you separate it from the upbeat wackiness featured so heavily in DR's score, that adds another layer to Monobear's overall creepiness.

Phelddagrif posted:

I'm glad the execution was over-the-top. I'm pretty squeamish when it comes to watching stuff like this, and some of the "punishments" in the first game, like Leon's and Kirigiri's, were almost too gruesome to bear. Seeing it done in a cartoonish fashion helps to remind us that even though we're watching this character whom we've come to know and (somewhat) understand get killed, in the end it's just a game.

I am in full agreement here. I cannot personally stand death scenes where the horror/gore is all played up. But, fact that these are practically slapstick makes them actually entertaining to watch.

Which is a pretty twisted sentiment, but this is Dangan Ronpa.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 16, 2013

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

tallest crocodile posted:

It's another stupid crossover, but a friend on Skype was talking about how Monobear sort of reminded her of Lemongrab in some parts of the game and this happened:

(sorry if my handwriting makes it hard to read)

Part of Monobear's charm is that his voice is identical to that of a character who's known and beloved to the target audience.

Now, if you gave Monobear the voice of Lemongrab, you would also need to change the characterization to match -- rather than being cute about everything, his whole demeanor would be completely serious, all attempts at levity feeling painfully forced, and with a sense that there's a screaming temper tantrum just barely held in check with each and every line.

I'm not sure if that would make him more or less creepy, to be honest.

As to this last update: Is it too predictable, now, that Komaeda is going to end up a victim and we of course must determine who successfully conspired with him? It's telegraphing that so hard that it feels like a bluff.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 21, 2013

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Princess Nevermind's primary reason to worry is that she's now the only person left resembling leadership. :v: If the dudes are attracted to her, it's because she's only somewhat weird compared to the rest of these clowns.

Of course, she's matched in inspirational presence by Nidai, so clearly the logical option from here are for them to rule the island as king and queen. Everything else should then fall into place.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I'm thinking Monomi is Kirakira.

I watched that video, and she's fuckin' brutal, man. How does anyone but a complete maniac squeeze that much blood out of happy cute abstract shapes?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Owari has a head wound, Koizumi has a head wound.

Logically, they were both targeted, except Owari's head is probably denser than rock while Koizumi possesses a normal human skull.

Hypothesis: Koizumi joined Owari and Nidai because she realized she was a normal person and not a badass warrior and thus stood no chance, and wanted training. Unfortunately those two are from a completely different kind of anime, don't actually know how to go easy, and so Koizumi was killed when she had the same suplex used on her that barely staggered Owari.

Nidai is the killer. Lesson learned: Don't mix genres, it only leads to tragedy.

quote:

Thank you, Dangan Ronpa. Thank you for turning this whole shameful episode around.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Voisk posted:

Pretty much. He essentially went and turned the serial killer that would target him into his fangirl. She might have still killed him if he had given her any leeway but that wasn't who he was...

You imply that he had an actual choice in the matter. :smugbert:

Syo kept her hands clean throughout the first game because making the serial killer be one of the actual killers wouldn't have been nearly as funny.

Rith posted:

And she calls Sonia 'Sonia-chan', but that doesn't tell us anything; nobody addresses Sonia by her last name.

Which is a terrible shame.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Kuzuryuu got the reward, found something that pissed him off at Koizumi, killed her?

Pekoyama dumped the water bottles on herself and never went swimming. Why she's involved here is anyone's guess. Nevermind wearing the wetsuit has no explanation other than maybe she was just telling the truth.

I'm disappointed that the theory that Kozumi went to Owari and Nidai for combat training and turned out not to have an action-anime skull like theirs is probably not the truth, as that would have been hilarious.

Anyway, it seems odd that Kuzuryuu would be the culprit, given how much of everyone else we've seen this segment, and how little we've seen of him altogether -- just enough to get across that he's a jerk who hates everyone. It would be pointless for him to die so soon, so hopefully whatever's coming gives him some worthwhile character development.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

HGH posted:

That's some nice asset reuse there.

But come to think of it, this room doesn't have windows. And it was on the third floor too. I guess they messed up there, or just retconned it.

Their choice of background could have been very deliberate -- they're Hope's Peak students, after all. :v:

The fact that the room was on a different floor might just be a continuity error.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

orenronen posted:

T...There are video game characters among us?!

I love how it's this guy who has that line. :allears:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

It seems like this execution was far crueler to Kuzuryuu than it was to Pekoyama, but it's hard to find any kind of sympathy for him still.

Her sentence was basically "die fighting", which seems like something she'd always been prepared to do, but then the kid rushes in to what, try and save her? So she foregoes dying on her feet for the sake of giving him one last gesture of tenderness, then promptly gets rushed by the swordbots, getting killed and more than likely getting Kuzuryuu wounded, though that's hardly her fault since he should never have put himself there in the first place. I sincerely doubt he's dead.

If anything, I'm guessing his arc is going to take a similar turn as Togami's did in DR1, starting out a cold-blooded jerk and later becoming a closer part of the team.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 15, 2013

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

While Dangan Ronpa gameplay occurs in anime world, Dangan Ronpa executions take place in full-on cartoon world.

They're honestly one of the most hilarious things about these games, as twisted as that is.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

orenronen posted:

The only thing we can conclusively state is that they do have a purpose; everything we have observed suggests a plan at work. A de&pai!-ind*c@ng situa(ion indeed.
As the dis*urb&nces con%inued, HoŁe's Peak A%^demy wa% fo(Łed to p*^ %n end to %ts long hi@to!y.
The surviv$ng st%den”s ma&$ int^ "examples of despair" by b*&ng fo^!e! @! k*l* @(ch (th;r."

Dang, Fedule. :allears: Very curious to see exactly how that was rendered in the original text.

In case anyone is bad at reading things like that (as if the gist of it isn't obvious to begin with):

The only thing we can conclusively state is that they do have a purpose; everything we have observed suggests a plan at work. A despair-inducing situation indeed. As the disturbances continued, Hope's Peak Academy was forced to put an end to its long history. The surviving students made into "examples of despair" by being forced to kill each other.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

orenronen posted:

...This is not a retcon. I simply never told you about them before.

Is this explanation not good enough for you people? :colbert:

quote:

I can't wait! I'm going to get all naked in anticipation!

Well, I'm always naked.

That's right, Monobear. You remain the best thing about all this.

Also I agree with him, we better get some murdering soon. With everything this chapter has brought us it's sure to be the most nonsensical case yet. I can't even begin to imagine how it's going to involve all of these things that have thus far happened...so it oughtta be pretty goddamn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The lack of relatability in this cast is part of the problem (who cares about the fans, gently caress the fans, never pay attention to fans, fans are terrible). It feels a bit like they saw what kind of reaction Syo got in DR1, and invented a bunch of nutjobs right along those lines. If she showed up in this game she wouldn't stand out; amidst the cast of eccentric but not-entirely-cartoonish people in DR1, she was kinda hilarious. Otherwise, you had completely outlandish-looking characters like Sakura, but her personality was relatively down-to-earth. Relatively.

So, the disease feels like a cheap contrivance. We'd already had some good developments in this chapter that could lead into the next murder, but at this point I guess this is what we're going with. They're telegraphing a murder amidst the quarantined crowd about as blatantly as they can, so it might actually end up being somewhat clever if that turns out to be a total red herring. At the very least, that might get an interesting reaction out of Monobear.

The sheer amount of stuff this chapter seems like it's all to throw the player completely off in all kinds of ways, almost to the point of being un-fun to sift through, though ultimately it'll depend on how much is presented as evidence, and how much was just window-dressing.

• Locked thread