Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Goddammit, Super High-school Level Detective Conan is going to distract the hell out of me during every single one of his voiced segments. Takayama didn't even try to change up the voice(presumably on purpose, but still).

And for all the attention paid to Fat Togami, I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a reaction to Sakura Fukawa(with a dash of Ishimaru's crazy eyes). I'm torn between the writers running with the honorable warrior schtick again or making her evil specifically to go against that(and to go with the red eyes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting Sakura from. Fukawa sure, and I can see Celes' hair ribbons or colour scheme, but that hair is clearly Kirigiri's.
I'm getting Sakura from the fact that she appears to be carrying a kendo stick on her back, so she stole Fukawa's design and Sakura's olde fashionede warriore schtick. :v: (Now watch as I'm wrong and she's a valley girl who just, like, carries that stick around for fashion, y'know?)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
So Usami's quirk is tawking wike this. I'm guessing the original Japanese had her using their equivilant of baby talk, and this was the best way to get it across without being too annoying? I don't really mind it, although that might just be because it brings Elmer Fudd to mind whenever Usami speaks. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Fedule posted:

As explained, originally, Usami did her little song reference and then said "You know! That thing!". It was kinda cute, I guess? Anyway, I figured it'd be nice to do something similar in English, but, what song to reference?
Oh!

Who lives in a classwoom wight by the sea?

U-sa-mi!

It bugs me that Usami's name is one syllable too short to work here, but this popped into my head immediately after reading the translation notes.

I can't really think of any other sea-related songs that a lot of people would have heard of, but as you said, there's not really much to work with here that still makes sense in context.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

orenronen posted:

If that's how you feel, we failed in our jobs.
That said, you can't expect to please everyone. Some people are super-picky about the translation being incredibly exact about the intent, even if that's something that would read poorly or require a paragraph of :japan: after each obscure cultural reference(or hell, even having to explain things like "Hajime reads like a typical teenager to most Westerners, but he'd seem very sarcastic and standoffish in Japan"). It's even worse here, since we've only had a few updates and we don't even really know where the story's heading yet - how can most of the people reading the LP know what the real intent of most of this stuff is(or how your translation changes affect anything) when we haven't gotten to the part where the intro's groundwork leads into the real story?

For what it's worth, I've been reading the translation commentaries because they're interesting, but I've never really felt that the updates themselves left anything unclear(or added in information that I overanalyzed despite it not being part of the overarching mystery in the first place). I'm not saying there's no merit to some of these complaints(I've been through enough media with varying degrees of :japan: that things that seem obvious to me wouldn't to someone who's mostly steered clear of the anime/manga that DR draws so many of its ideas from. That was blindingly clear when we got to the final trial of DR1, and so many people saw Junko as adopting the mannerisms of the other characters & not the typical anime tropes that each character and Junko were both drawing from), but there's always going to be people complaining that "removing those ellipses ruined the intent of the work!" or some other such nonsense. Doubly so when anything Japanese is involved.

On the bright side, the reasonable complaints mean that I can read Usami's speech without having to quietly sound out stuff like "fwowers coming into bwoom" to figure out what the hell she's saying.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Gundam is completely batshit, but I think we're all* overlooking a use for his skills: He can just tame some dolphins/whales, and give everyone a ride off the island! Or at least he would, but they'd presumably be on too low a level for him to bother with compared to his Four Dark Gods of Destruction.

*Okay, one other person happened to think of this as I was typing. But my point still stands.

To be more serious, I don't think he'd be too overbearing as long as he doesn't speak often. He didn't seem keen on piping up until we went out of our way to talk to him, so maybe he'll just be silent until the other characters try to get his thoughts on something.

As for Souda:

quote:

Hates: Sugar-free
I'm going to assume his like/dislike is just there to make his name a terrible pun. :allears:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I haven't really minded Fedule's notes, but it probably would make more sense for them to be posted outside of each update. As a bonus, it would let Fedule post more complete thoughts than stuff like "..." and "oh wow, they're really doing this". Maybe they could be bundled with the Riveting Editorial Anecdotes?

Jeek posted:

Please don't let the suspicion on Nagito become another meme that run itself to the ground, DR2. That would be too much despair for me. :ohdear:
I'm 99% sure that slowbeef would carve a valley of blood and newbie tears through the thread if he even got a whiff of another stupid meme starting up.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Well, this novel is really something. I'm not entirely sure I like the something, but it is still in the early chapters. The SHSL Neurologist hopefully has more depth to him than being a SHSL rear end in a top hat, since I'm already getting tired of that "you're ugly" routine.

Saeku posted:

Plus, the dialogue is completely saturated with meaningless ellipses. Are the scripts of the games anything like that? I vaguely remember you saying something about editing ellipses from the first game's dialogue but I might be wrong.
Japanese media really likes its ellipses-bombs, so it wouldn't surprise me if DR1 had a bunch that oren edited out for redundancy.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I admit my knowledge of various medical professions is a fairly layman one, but just for curiosity's sake wouldn't someone with "SHSL" Nurse qualifications have the skills necessary for several medical fields that require a doctorate? I'm in no way trying to nitpick, I'm just honestly curious for argument's sake.
:science: Although the basic knowledge involved in most medical fields overlaps a lot, the specific knowledge needed for each one diverges depending on exactly what the person in question does(a radiologist, a lab tech, a nurse, and a doctor are all going to need specific training for each field) - hell, even what counts as a "nurse" and the scope of duties involved depends on the certification(LPN vs RN).

For practical purposes, Mikan is probably just really good at doing what most people think of as nurse things. Although so far she seems more like SHSL Social Anxiety.

loquacius posted:

So... what exactly is "light music" anyway? Like, smooth jazz or what? :v:
It's pretty much pop/rock music, in this context. Technically it's supposed to be orchestral stuff, but I've never see it used like that in a :japan: context.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Dragoon Cody posted:

It's probably more work doing an introduction for one character than doing a regular full update if just because they need to do a lot of initial work creating a proper "voice" and translation for that character. It will probably pick up later.
One thing I also think people are forgetting is that each character is talking a lot more during the intros this time around. In DR1, oren could blitz through four intros an update, but each character also had maybe 5 lines. The characters in DR2 are practically giving a miniature speech when you meet them! Each character intro update is about as long as before, so that just meets they can't fit the same amount of characters into that space as they could last time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
So there's a school for regular students that they can pay to get into? Why do I have a sudden feeling that Hajime can't remember his talent because he didn't have a talent - he was just one of the students from the prep school? It would also fit in with his worship of Hope's Peak, along with this line:

quote:

To tell you the truth, the circumstances in my case are slightly unusual.
It'd be slightly unusual to the player since, if they hadn't read DR0, they'd assume that all the students in the game got in by being SHSL. Of course, this then brings up the question of whether Hajime's lack of SHSL talent will actually effect his role in the game at all - after all, most of the SHSL skills we saw in DR1 didn't affect the plot much(other than Kirigiri's detectiving and Chihiro's creation of Alter Ego).

E: Great, now I'm re-reading his entire intro, along with the stuff he says in the very first update.

quote:

Honestly, I’m not so special to warrant a formal introduction, and whenever I'm asked to give one I get terribly embarrassed
This reads as normal Japanese humbleness, but it could also be evidence that Hajime really isn't special.

quote:

It isn’t a particularly tough question... Why is this so difficult?
Again, my mind reached out for the memory I needed. Again, it came back with nothing.

What’s going on? It’s like I’m trying to read a book whose pages are being wiped clean as I look...

I really had been starting to feel better. But now...
That said, if Hajime doesn't have a SHSL talent, I'd wonder why someone would bother to wipe his memory of that fact, to the point where he assumes he has one. Is it to make him fit in better with the SHSL people? Is it to make him question less why he was swept up with them? This seems like something that'll be hard to figure out until we get into the meat of the plot.

Or I could be drastically wrong and the prep school kids are only notable for some other reason(causing the Worst Most Despairing Incident, maybe? They do have plenty of reason to be pissed at Hope's Peak.).

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 19, 2012

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Just what we needed, a character who has no inside voice. Most of the other super-zany characters haven't bugged me so far, but I can see Nidai getting old if he doesn't learn to turn down the volume at some point.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

And I get the feeling "Gangster" was Fedules idea? I would have imagined Kuzuryuu's title being "Super High School Level Yakuza" myself.
It probably was Yakuza, but gangster works well enough since it's almost certainly meant in the "Al Capone-esque mobster" sense, not the "street gang" sense.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

darealkooky posted:

Maybe they felt they didn't need to "sell" the player on the idea for the game quite as quickly, now that it's so popular?
Either that or they realized that if they were going to do a lot of overbearing Ishida-type characters, having a longer intro to drive the "this person is super wacky!" point home would let them get to actual character development faster so that people wouldn't get sick of them.

Or it might just be another way to give the game a different atmosphere than DR1. DR1 threw everyone into a sudden grim, life-or-death situation; DR2 has thrown everyone into a leisurely tropical vacation. Why rush through introducing yourselves when you have all the time in the world to laze around the beach?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Anatharon posted:

Look, I really do know what you mean, but it's not really fair for people to be calling him a sexual predator and the like after a conversation that takes less then 20 seconds in the game itself. Like, it was creepy, sure, but the reaction is more then a little over the top.
I know it's tempting to go easy on him because he's a video game character, but in real life if someone tried to trick a naive girl into blowing him, he'd rightly be viewed as a loving creeper. Has he ever actually managed to succeed in his creepy goals? Probably not so far, since his obsession with sexual things(and his favorite thing being his mommy :v:) reeks of him being one of those goony guys who never gets any. Does that make it okay for him to be creeping on a naive foreign girl(or to suddenly start talking about some other girl's underwear with some guys he just met, for that matter)? No.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I think that a lot of them can also be solved by the fact that anime-styled characters often look similar, especially when the same artist is drawing them(there's a reason a lot of anime characters are made distinctive by wacky hair and accessories, rather than physical features). This isn't like Fatogami, where he has the same name as DR1 Togami and the same hair, glasses, poses, and attitude. I'm not seeing such a great similarity between Aoi and Bedhead other than their brown hair and visible rack.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

IceBorg posted:

But on that note why did someone bought that?
The true despair in this thread will be repetitive theories about whether or not Fatogami is DR1 Togami, if he remembers DR1, if he's just a family member with the exact same name, if he's DR1 Togami but in the past, etc.

The real crime is replacing oren's cool Monobear avatar with something less cool. It's like people are allergic to him keeping a Monobear avatar throughout an entire LP.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Okay, the coach has officially shifted from "could get annoying quickly" to being my favorite character so far. He doesn't seem interested in talking much except when it's time for a motivational one-liner, and that's just fine by me!

I'm wondering what the hell is up with the Monobear dolls, and specifically what's going to happen once oren collects them all. Something good(which makes sense from a gameplay perspective)? Something bad(which makes sense from a "Monobear is making you do this" perspective)? Or will they all look like this one, and your only "reward" is knowing that you have a shelf full of Monobears in shell bikinis? :gonk:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Dragoon Cody posted:

Ok so at the moment I'm wondering the most about Sonia. Everyone else has a decipherable superpower (apart from our main character obviously whose superpower hasn't been announced), even Togami now, whose role as super high-school level heir has finally been cleared up in-game as a bunch of good traits for being an heir that he works at. Sonia though says she's just a decoration, she hasn't shown any trait that would make her better than any other princess at anything. That makes me think it's something that isn't directly obvious, like Game of Thrones-style intrigue/political maneuvering.
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Sonia is very authoritative/persuasive when she wants to be(typically whenever this pose pops up). Being demure most of the time, but authoritative when it counts, seems like a good set of traits for a princess.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Gundam and Nidai for maximum comedy potential.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Rabidredneck posted:

So Monobear is getting everyone together...based on DR1, this is where he starts pushing people's buttons. I gotta feeling he's going to reveal a :airquote:fun:airquote:activity that'll be a catalyst for our first murder.
I'm guessing it'll have something to do with the Monobomb that suddenly appeared in Jabberwock Park, especially since the park's where everyone's being called to.

Joenen posted:

Not sure how that'd color your perceptions though.
Well, if little kids are being allowed to drink a lot of cider, and if he assumes it's alcoholic, that'd seem a little out of the ordinary. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Redkun posted:

So basically, treat it like it doesn't exist?
Let me simplify the spoiler algorithm:
1)Did it happen in DR1? If YES: Feel free to post. If NO:
2)Has it been posted in this thread by oren or Fedule yet? If YES: Feel free to post. If NO: Don't post.

It's not that complicated, and I'd understand the mistake a bit better if orenroren hadn't specifically gone out of his way to say (THIS SPOILER THING) counted as a spoiler before. (admitedly, this thread is huge and hard to read through, but even just reading oren's posts would have shown you that)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

I carry it always... so I shall never forget the day I fought that fearsome pomeranian...

A fearsome... pomeranian. Right.
Someone's clearly never played Tokyo Jungle. :colbert:

On a more serious note, I doubt that the knife is the murder weapon if only because the missing skewer is still unaccounted for. Given that the knife seemed to be taped to the table, then painted with glow-in-the-dark paint, perhaps it was meant to lure someone to the table when the lights went out so they could be skewered while they were distracted? That still doesn't explain where the skewer was hidden beforehand, nor where it is now, but it's the best idea I've got so far.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Fedule posted:

Neither Oren nor I were entirely sure what game Nanami is referencing here, and apparently the reference guides for the game aren't sure either (also apparently there are reference guides for the game). Personally, it made me think immediately of Final Fantasy VIII, what with its famously interaction-averse protagonist and having large bits of the plot take place in schools, but somehow I doubt that that's what the game's referencing. There are a lot of JRPGs with rear end in a top hat protagonists.
I had something different pop to mind, but maybe that's just me. :v: As you said, JRPGs with rear end in a top hat protagonists aren't exactly unique.

Anoia posted:

Nagito is acting so drat suspicious I have to wonder if this is just some sort of bait and switch.
I'm thinking that too. I don't think we had a proper red herring last game, so this is the perfect time to introduce one for this game. He even has an excuse for acting so sketchy, in that he really could just want to believe that none of his classmates are the culprit.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I like how they're making the trials more of a group effort this time. You don't just shoot down other people's theories; you concur with them sometimes, and sometimes other people shoot down your theories. Occassionally with lighting coming out of their eyes. (That was the meanest place to end the update. :mad:)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

thelarue posted:

Hell, I am having trouble understanding why Hanamura would do what he did. Why would he want to murder anyone? I look forward to learning the thoughts Hanamura had when he decided to go through with it.
Hanamura seems to have gone the most deeply into denial about the whole "mutual killing" thing, indicating to me that he's panicking the most about it. If he's that terrified about it, it makes sense that he might be the first one to go for a kill in an attempt to escape the situation before someone else can kill him.

Jeek posted:

Thank you, Zorak, for your words have inspired me to make a thing:

It's not Everdraed quality but at least I tried. :shobon:
There's no mp3 hidden in that gif. Try again. :colbert: (it's great)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

lotus circle posted:

It was a lineup of the cast with different hairstyles. I found a screencap of it, but the quality isn't all that great. I assume it's ok to post since it's just a straight rip from the website and doesn't have spoilers.

Bigger version:

Slim Monobear may be unsettling, but it's even worse when you notice that Monomi is also slim.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Comparing this to the last chapter confirms that DR0 is several times more tolerable when Junko is not in it. I get what they're going for with her, but I'm just plain sick of it already. Ryouko isn't that great either, but hopefully she gets something to do other than go "MATSUDA-KUUUUN!" and "I don't understand anything oh god what's happening" soon.

Hopefully the second half of the book starts to pick up & it becomes less of a chore to read as we actually get to the important stuff. Or it can take place entirely from Kirigiri's POV, so we don't have to go through the "I don't remember anything teehee" schtick 500 more times.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

CandyCrazy posted:

Personally, I actually thought Hope's Peak was a university until halfway through the first game, and I'm still actually kind of disappointed that it's not. Having college-aged charactersfor once would have been a nice change of pace. They're at least the right age for that thanks to the time-skip, but it's not quite the same thing.
Pretty much every anime/Japanese video game/manga/LN makes more sense if you assume that everyone involved is 3-5 years older. It's a shame, because like you implied, a lot of stories that would make more sense in a university aren't set in one because high school is a more standard setting for some godforsaken reason.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I know Saionji looks younger than the rest of the cast, but her little-kid act is wearing kind of thin. I wonder if her free time events make her more bearable, although I kind of doubt it.

RefinedUndefined posted:

Am I the only one who found Monomi's "different game mode" line to be suspicious. There are other ways of saying that you can't tell someone something after all.
Because this clearly isn't a game that's poked fun at the fourth wall once or twice. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Calico Heart posted:

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, but if Mikan is SHSL, that means she's extraordinarily gifted in her field. Shouldn't that mean she's qualified as a Doctor, rather than a nurse?

Calico Heart posted:

Yeah, what I was getting at was that by my understanding, her skill was basically defined as "Super Medic", and was wondering if there was a reason she was specifically designated a nurse if that were the case.
I'd honestly trust a nurse more than a doctor when it came to medic skills. Doctors may have more education, but nurses have several hundred times more practical experience in the mundane direct patient contact stuff. (This still doesn't explain why she's a Nurse instead of a Medic, but I'm attributing that to "nurse" being a lot more marketable & anime-esque)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Spiritus Nox posted:

Actually I think the main difference is that most of the SA fandom is older than 12.
It's also not concerned with shipping and headcanons and fanfiction. Which is mostly a result of it not being composed of teenagers, but still.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Let's be honest here - if orenroren doesn't finish this LP, someone else will do one if/when an official translation is released anyway. I'd like to see oren continue just because this is a good translation, it's nice seeing some of the insights, and I like seeing reactions to the plot twists, but it's not like SDR2 would be closed off forever if he stopped.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Geop posted:

OHO. What's going on here, Oren? LPing a domestic game before three month rule? :smugdog:
He's breaking the rules so hard that he's breaking the zero day rule! Where's a mod when you need one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The point is that it comes off as kind of weird and fan-worshippy to put oren's translation on a pedestal, when the official English script will in all likelihood be perfectly fine(it was for DR1, why would 2 be different?).

Orenronen's done good work, and I appreciate his insights into the translation process, but he's not the only person in the world who can make a good danganronpa translation.

• Locked thread