Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

slam5000 posted:

Maybe it's not a test. My personal thoughts are that rather than going back and removing their memories, the memory loss technique that was being used in DR1 is the same thing we see here, in that she can't remember any new events, so if she got into a DR1 like situation, she would have no memory of how she got there. (or of any events leading up to getting there, etc.)

Seems unlikely. They lived for around two years at Hope's Peak making new memories before the events of the game, and they were obviously able to make new memories during the game. That doesn't fit with Ryouka's apparent condition at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Man, a whole lot of people seem to hate Mikan. While I can understand that her personality is irritating, I sort of assume just from seeing her that she's going to have a whole lot of character development over the course of the game (assuming she survives). As a writer, you don't generally set up a character who's literally incapable of conversation with the intent to leave them there.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

You ever hear the word "fremdschämen?" That.

Holy poo poo I haven't but that is an excellent word for a thing that happens to me. Thanks!

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Is it? I was under the impression that most of its rabid fanbase is here in the West, or at least on TvTropes SA :v: Seriously though, is DR really that big? I mean yeah, they managed to get just about everyone in the Big Ladybird Book of Seiyuu to do voice clips, but would it be popular enough for someone to go through all that effort?

Orenronen posted something about them literally renting out a storefront over the holidays to transform into a Dangan Ronpa store, and there was the whole DR2 launch cafe thing. I get the impression it's pretty drat popular.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Well she doesn't seem mopey at all. Her "........." was all her losing track of things as she played the game.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

ColdPie posted:

Pretty please don't future-reply. Just make a new post, dude.

I like how you direct this at HelloWinter and not at RefinedUndefined who was several steps more egregious in this.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Carlioo posted:

So wait, is she faking her amnesia? Or does the super analytical side of Ryouko just come up whenever she realizes she's in danger? I mean, it's a cool ability and all, but I just hope it doesn't become a deus ex machina.

Pretty sure she said she read her talent in her notebook.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

4th Asclepiadean posted:

So you mean that the music itself is a spoiler?

Huh. How does that come about?

Easily possible. If I recall it happened in the Deadly Premonition LP, where the combination of the title and the tone of the music made a plot twist pretty obvious.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

VladTheEater posted:

This reminds me of a different game that had a very interesting way of doing voice-acting.

There's a *fantastic* adventure game called Resonance in which all of the spoken lines are voiced and all of the thought bubbles are not. There isn't really a central "YOU" character in the game but I'd be interested in seeing more games adopt this sort of thing. Resonance is the only one I can remember doing this, at least.

From what little I played of Chaos;Head, it did the same thing.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Ganonpork posted:

I don't remember that being stated anywhere. Have I been in VR the whole time? Is this Ghost Babel?

She's the protagonist of the game in question. So it's not a spoiler for this game, just new information from promotional material.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Dr. Buttass posted:

Well, maybe, but his hard work is invalidated by the structure of the arrangement. He personally had to work for it, but a Togami was going to the school, one way or another. Whichever kid ended up being dubbed heir apparent to the Togami family didn't, when you get right down to it, actually have to be any good at being a devious cutthroat bastard. As long as they were less terrible at it than all the other Togami children, they were getting the fortune, they were getting the business assets, they were getting the spot at the school.

Says who? Maybe there are other ludicrously powerful families out there with heirs. It's not SHSL Heir To The Togami Fortune

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Togami Group is "Special". We know this because they literally have a family library of Illuminati Secrets. Illuminati Secrets That "The Man" Would Kill You For If They Knew You Knew (tm).

Right, but like... you don't have just one family like that. He made reference to the Togami family being part of the Super High School Level Illuminati, not literally the only ones. Just looking up the scene in the library gets me this:

quote:

There are people who control the world from behind the scenes...
The members of the Togami family are among them.

The Togamis aren't the only super rich shadow puppeteer family, they didn't buy Togami's way in, and being legitimately talented at the skills of being an heir is not undercut by him starting from a position of privilege and wealth because that's literally the baseline for heirdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

He's saying that he wasn't viewing modding in orenronen's translation as some sort of weird devotion to this as the "one true version," but more akin to replacing voice clips in a game with different ones.

• Locked thread