Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The situation in the last game already had parallels with Fallout regarding the whole "safety vault protecting people from the apocalypse", but that last entry in DR0 is on a whole different level. Just like Fallout, it seems that Hope's Peak isn't merely a refuge from the oncoming storm, it's partly a social experiment, what with all the references to "thesis" and "scientists". The difference, of course, is that Fallout's Vaults were straight-up experiments on people with the occasional crime against humanity. This one may have been destined for greater purposes.

On a side note, I hope people don't take this thread screaming into the Gas Chamber with them. The last thread got real bad, and slowbeef even showed his concern about it during one of the RetsuTalks. It's fun to be all hyped up with this new thing, but please don't run it into the ground; oren and Fedule deserve better than that.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

slowbeef posted:

...So the engine block is crushing his leg and/or crotch. That seems like it'd really make him the worst mechanic!

Your lower body gets swole from working on cars and poo poo, it's part of the job.

Anime artsyles are known for using exaggerated features to signal certain traits of a character. It's established that animal-trainer-ninja probably isn't playing with a full deck of cards, but I wonder if the mechanic's Syo-tongue is going to be a red herring and he's actually a level-headed character; subversion of visual archetypes is one thing DR1 touched upon lightly (notable with Sakura), and I think it would be a reasonable thing to assume that DR2 might use it more in order to throw off fans of the previous game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

"Monomi...your staff is broken."

Hah, so the "good" mascot dies first. Of course she does: it'd be a shame to waste one of these characters to show that Monobear is out for blood, and really, the Despair game wouldn't be as horrifying if there was another robot ostensibly being piloted just like Monobear except she's on the students' side.

There's still the possibility of her coming back though, and it's ripe for plot twists and stuff since it could've been all planned out to further rub it in the students' faces that both these goddamn robot animals could be just loving with them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Alto posted:

If that was true, then why doesn't Togami just tell the others "Look, I've done this before."?

Probably because doing so might make him a target to either the new guys or Monobear. He's a dude who knows the importance of timing, and probably believes that you shouldn't reveal your cards before the game starts.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

Good job! I like the linework. He does look a bit older than he usually does, but it's a good depiction of the character.

Heh, if Kuzuryuu really does have issues about the "babyface" thing, looking more like a rough and tough gangster is probably what he wants. Impressive pic.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

RentCavalier posted:

More importantly though...

Are we seriously going to let fresh fried food go to waste!?

A side of Hanamura Tempura to go, please.

The contrast between nutso-scissors-girl from the first game and Nagito in this one is pretty interesting: you have an actual lunatic murderer amongst you that somehow could be relied on to not kill anyone, but now they have a delusional sociopath with a twisted view on the whole Hope/Despair thing that has already caused a murder and is likely to keep on trucking.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nagito's going to be Hannibal Lecter, isn't he? Kept confined, but ends up helping Koizumi out while he tries to crack the next case/s out of a twisted view on "hope".

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

orenronen posted:

Just to give a quick update, because this is turning out to be the longest gap between posts since the thread started - as I said two days ago, last week was very busy for me elsewhere, and just as I was about to complete this update news of Giant Bomb's Ryan Davis' death bummed me out so much that I couldn't bring myself to sit next to the computer and work.

The update is translated and most of the screenshots are captured, so all that's left is compose a post (which I promise will get done tonight) and do editing (which depends on Fedule's availability). Please hang in there.

I feel ya, brother. Don't worry about it, and take your time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You know, I don't really mind spoilers, but for once I'm trying to avoid them for this LP. Kind of a bummer that this whole spoiler ad nonsense starts right as I attempt a clean run. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Bean posted:

Wait, how the hell is Kuzuyuu a super high school level gangster if he wusses out of a hit and can't control his own hitman? Is Hope's Peak hurting for attendance?

She wasn't just a hitman though; she clearly meant a lot more to him. I suppose you can't be completely ice-cold when it's about family/love.

• Locked thread