Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Volt Catfish posted:

I know nothing, but the one guy is totally Togami wearing a fat suit...or something.

This is going to be the greatest thing :allears:

I also see Asahina in that one girl, and Kirigiri in the girl who appears to have a kendo stick holder on her back. Also Togoonmi is glorious.

Welp, strap in your brains because here we go again....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Well it didn't take very long for speculation to start running wild in here.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fedule posted:

I have an early post in the thread. Shall I catalog the Riveting Anecdotes?

Yes please can we have these added to the OP, I mean I know it's the first day of the thread but this is already bigger than most LP threads get after about 8 hours.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Togoonmi is dying first isn't he...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Zhauth posted:

SCOOBY GANG ASSEMBLE!

This episode:
Heart-Thumping Field Trip BIG PANIC!
Guest Starring:
Francis York Morgan
and
Gordon Ramsay with Dwarfism!

Please forgive my Super Elementary School Level art.

This post alone should make the thread gold.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I want Kazuichi executed solely because he voiced Dio in VLR. Gundam though has an army of hamsters, and I think that's the kind of thing we can all support. I don't know if I can get behind him as best character yet though, Nagito's constant appealing for hope from our pessimist protagonist is endearing him to me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Crowetron posted:

I'm hoping the hamsters turn out to be key witnesses as some point.

Oh no, I have a horrible feeling they're going to be playing the chicken role at some point now :ohdear:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd like to echo the belief that if Chiaki is killed, whoever did so won't get any sympathy from the thread no matter how horrible their execution.

Peko is a little more interesting, it's very rare for the kendo stick wielders in anime to be anything short of extremely capable so I can see her becoming the Kirigiri equivalent if there's going to be one (Hinata is much more clued in than Naegi after all) or she could just fall to being an easy red herring in a trial if any kind of bladed weapon is used.

Also her design has a bit of the shrine maiden about it to my eyes, and that's all kinds of cool.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dooky Dingo posted:

Ooh! Did you use AutoCAD?
I use that for my work and it works wonders for designing three dimensional models, though mostly for engineering type work.

Also, for thread related things: Our little Navi buddy sure seems to want to keep everyone happy and not questioning the island. I wonder if he is in league with the masterminds?

For that matter, in the last game, a single person was the mastermind behind the entire scheme. What if, in this game, EVERYONE but the player is in on the ruse? :tinfoil:

Technically it was 2 people, but one of them ended up getting perforated. That does sound like the kind of twist this series would pull, but it would kind of mess up the whole idea of some people being horribly executed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you want a good anthropological/historical/fabric lust look at the how and why of kimono, see Liza Dalby's excellent Kimono. If you want to make kimono, hakama, and so on, check out Make Your Own Japanese Clothes: Patterns and Ideas for Modern Wear, by John Marshall, which will tell you about things like the little doodad you embroider on the center back seam to ward off bad luck.

Well there goes my next paycheck, but really thanks for those ideas. I love stuff like this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Something was bugging me about Akane's name the last day or two, so I finally went back and looked up the meaning of it. Memories from way back when I was taking Japanese kept telling me that name seemed symbolic.

While I can't be completely sure without seeing the kanji, the only two readings of Akane show up as 'madder' or 'red dye', with madder being an herb whose leaves are used to make red dye. So that's pretty cut and dried, unless it's a nonstandard kanji or something.

Owari was what was bugging me, because I knew that meant 'the end'. There's a little more behind it, such as being a province name in Japan and a historical name in the Sengoku era, however. It's entirely possible I'm overthinking this.

But, the literal reading of Owari, Akane (Japanese tradition of surname first) comes out to the end, red dye. This would be eerily appropriate if that is Asahina, considering the resolve she was filled with when Sakura died.

In my experience the kanji used in names is something often mentioned but rarely relevant. So I'd say you're overthinking things.

I had the idea earlier that Togami could die of a heart attack at any point and set off a huge rush of Death Note references. Its not something I'd put past this series if it is going to go for a fake-out trial again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Many things can be said about our favourite monochrome executioner, but drat he sure knows how to make an entrance.

sudonim posted:

The cook getting all lusty over rubbing down the coach made his permanent horniness go from creepy to hilarious.

He has evolved to not caring how and with who he gets his kicks, so long as he gets them. And this is probably going to make him freaking hilarious as time goes on.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

orenronen posted:

I was so hoping this was going to turn into the second coming of Genocider Syo. Really though it's hard to be disappointed in any part of Monobear's resurgence. It was just one bit of mind-breaking insanity after another leading all the way to a freaking giant robot army.

drat if he hasn't picked the wrong crew to try that with, every one of them seems to be spoiling for a fight right now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kringlorr posted:

I really hope that Gundam is the one to somehow defeat the giant robots. Preferably in some sort of hamster mecha. :allears:

I'm retaining hope that our SHSL Coach starts to train the crew to fight the robots.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

WhalerWren posted:

I'm more concerned about what the hell is going on with Nagito there. :stare:

The only idea I can come up with is that he's another return, or at least is aware of the Most Despair Inducing Incident, hell he might even be the other survivor that DR0 mentioned. drat if that intro video wasn't a giant welcome back to this world though, I got chills just thinking about what's to come.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I've noticed about Togami's behaviour: he seems more willing to talk with others this time around. This time, without Naegi, he has taken the initiative to attempt to unite people, instead of locking himself in the library like in the previous game.

Well we don't know if there's a library yet.

metropoliszone posted:

Well, there's only two rows of people, so maybe people are just behind them?

Or maybe all executions are shown on a television.

This was my thought, I don't see anything even remotely execution like in there so I'm assuming they all watch it like that rather than being there in person. I want to hope people aren't going to go through the video frame by frame looking for poo poo but drat I know it's going to happen.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I also find it kind of interesting that the game hasn't been as blatant as the first with the potential weapons. Like DR1 had the cafeteria right from the start with it's nice sharp knives and the toolkits and sewing kits ready to cause carnage from the beginning. With the exception of I think some pointy things in the store there's been nothing here so far that really jumps out as a potential murder weapon. So I'm just as interested in how the kill happens as who does the deed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I seriously can't stop laughing at this sprite. I like this chick!

I laughed like hell at that image too, Owari and Ibuki are tied in my mind for best expressions so far. Though Fatogami is schooling everyone in the awesome speech department. That poison line was drat gold. This however...

orenronen posted:

Might be the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. The eyes just stare....

Anyway, so it seems fairly safe to assume Monomi's back in the game. Hopefully we can now properly set up Team Hope vs Team Despair for the upcoming rumble.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oren, I think you may have a problem or some kind of complex if you have a Monobear about your person at all times.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Hell, you don't need to be in Japan to get some Ramune. Any Asian supermarket will likely have them. The one my parents run is mostly Chinese focused, and even they stock it. :v:

It's also always around at anime cons, though the vendors will charge you out the rear end and then some for it since it's something everybody wants. Hell I've been able to get bottles of it at non-Asian places, the fudge shop in Niagara Falls has it (or did when I was last there). People should try it, it's awesome.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Joenen posted:

Good to know, I've always wondered why no one's carbonated lemonade yet.

We have it in the UK, it's pretty much what lemonade is here. Which is a shame since I really like still lemonade.

Ettin posted:

We're never going to see Gundam's secret wizard blog, are we? :negative:

I'll be amazed if we don't at least get him to read a few extracts before his free time events are complete.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ferndavant posted:

Gotta chime in. Our local sushi place serves Ramune as well. They have two different flavors, that lemonade-y one, as well as a bubbly strawberry one. I strongly recommend it. Goes surprisingly well with sushi, and it's really fun the way it's corked with a marble.

Strawberry is easily my favourite kind, but it's nowhere near as common as lemon or even melon. The marble is really what makes it for me, I used to smash bottles to get it out and keep a bag of them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I am suddenly filled with pity and admiration for my sister, who decided to learn Japanese :stare: Don't get me wrong, I think all the above makes Japanese a fascinating language, but me am too dumb to speak anything but English, thanks. I think this was asked before, but if it was, I forgot the answer; where are you from, orenoren, if I may ask?

Grasping the basics isn't too daunting (I'm doing it myself) and some people immerse themselves in the language (spending time in Japan, listening to Japanese music, watching Japanese TV etc) so they pick a lot of stuff up by just hearing it over and over again, the same way most of us learnt whatever our first language is.

Kanji is terrifying however.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Funnily enough, I was gonna say I didn't care to see a Free Time event that consisted of "Ummm... well,.... I like your gift AHH SO SCARED!" over and over, but now that you mention it, maybe she does have an interesting backstory as to how she got like that. Or even if she's a good nurse.

Provided she survives this chapter, yeah, I think I'd vote her next time.

This is pretty much exactly why I voted for her, you don't get that terrified of human interaction without some kind of interesting thing happening in the past.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I desperately want it to be the Dangan Ronpa fighter that was in that survey a while back. Or it could be a Monster Hunter clone (because weren't they loving all during that) where you play as Monobear hunting the survivors of the 2 games Manhunt style.

I'd play it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Son Conan posted:

Wow, I didn't expect Togami to be the first to go. I expected to see him give into despair as he found himself incapable of keeping the others from killing each other.

These are the questions I'm asking myself right now:

1) Who (or what) is in the bathroom?

2) Where's Peko? (I'm actually going to guess that she's the person in the bathroom)

3) What is that green strip of material that's hanging over Togami's body?

4) Was Togami actually planning to kill someone and got killed instead (like in DR1)?

My current thoughts on these are:

1) Christ knows, but Monomi/Monobear's controller is an interesting shout.

2) I'm going to say she's still in the office, she would've noticed the breaker go and flipped it back to put the lights on. Which makes the kill very risky since you're counting on a third party giving you enough time to get the job done.

3) Probably the streamer you can see hanging down behind the table, the idea that the knife was attached to that is my favourite theory here so far.

4) I doubt it, Togami would've had to know the knife was there (if it was on the streamer) and I don't think he went to the lodge all day. Plus it would make no sense for him to point out that a knife was missing from the kitchen if he planned to use it as a murder weapon later.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kanfy posted:

So far this game has used a lot of the same music as the first game, are there enough new tracks to make the OST worthwhile?

I think it came up earlier in the thread that the OST in question is 3 discs covering both games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I'm just wondering if DR0's updates are gonna have parity with DR2's; will DR0 conclude by the time we reach the ending of DR2, or will it end waaay before DR2 even comes close to ending?
Because if there's seriously more than a year's worth of updates in that thing, goddamn is it going to be hard to parse the entire novel as a whole.

I remember Oren saying a few updates back we were roughly half-way through, so I doubt the DR0 updates will still be going when we get to the chapter 2 trial.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Vyxzuw posted:

I don't recall the parody LP in the last thread. So, I'll ask, was it a parody LP as in him pretending to do an LP of DR, or was it and actual LP of fanfiction?

I simply asked why he can't post it (or at least further updates) in the DR1 thread. Or create his own thread. (I get that he probably doesn't want a stream of threads being posted of people LPing bad fanfiction though, but the DR1 thread could still work.)

Naegi's letters home is I think what's being referred to, and those were hilarious.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

They are, but the PSP face buttons are just grey lines on all the models, as far as I know.

They are, and the Vita's the same. Only the big console controllers have coloured buttons.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Now he just looks like a marshmallow. A delicious fried marshmallow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

TigressLiet posted:

I bet Komaeda is playing in the island frolicking around talking about hope.

-Tigress

Hi, welcome to Something Awful. Don't sign your posts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kangra posted:

You make lemonade.

Is the 'lots and lots of shots' Mikan hitting on Hinata, or is it just her being over-enthusiastic? I can't tell.

I'm going to go with enthusiastic, I mean she's spent the entire first chapter being scared of everything and now she's pretty much back where she's comfortable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you're not clicking the music links, at least listen to DISTRUST. Good god that track is great.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Aw man, now I want to see the life sized Gundam take on the life sized Shirahoshi. Japan sure does like to build life sized anime stuff, I swear I saw a Doraemon one once in a magazine made entirely out of snow.

We can't leave Col. Sanders dressed as Goku out of this fight.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Miss Kalle posted:

Voidburger you are making me super super jealous right now. :argh: I knew I should have preordered that Monobear backpack when I had the chance!! (But as I already mentioned in the other thread before it closed, I do have two of the figures coming to me in the next few months so that will have to do.)

And yeah, Japanese t-shirt sizes -- really Japanese clothing sizes in general -- operate on a strange and arcane magic that ensures I will never fit properly into anything ever.

I was told the general rule was assume 2 sizes up, but I've never been willing to take the gamble. Also 2 sizes up for me is XXL which isn't exactly common.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jeek posted:

Will she murder robot animals as well? We need a scribblenaut version of her murdering the monobeasts and leading everyone to freedom.

I wonder if Monobear's no-aggression rules apply to magnifying glasses?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If this is a Fallblox/Crashmo puzzle then what the hell is wrong with you? I can't even see where I'd begin on this thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

tiistai posted:

Yeah, sorry. My point was that people have conflicting ideas about what it means, so it's better not to use it.

Anyway, have this.

I have literally a dry sense of humor.

I'm now imagining Komaeda as a colossus, where strands of poison will corrupt whoever kills him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

yaoi prophet posted:

Have you ever thought "I want to hear Gundam's VA singing One Jump Ahead from Aladdin"? Well, you're in luck.

Welp, I can die now.

• Locked thread