Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm pretty sure Ibuki will die before the end. I don't particularly want it to happen, but a character that references another anime in that way pretty much exists to die.

I have a hunch she will either be the first to go, or something close to it, even though she's a pretty fun character. As you said, she's pretty much a walking reference to something else, and she's been talking quite a bit, which means they may be trying to cram more Ibuki-time in before she sleeps with the Mono-fishes.

Is anyone else really suspicious of Chiaki? Her personality hits home with the audience (hell, she's a lot like me), she's got one of the least crazy personality quirks, and just seems too boring. And as soon as I found out she was a SHSL Gamer I thought of how suddenly in this game the theme of the game is definitely revolving around video games much more than the last one, with the title screen style, the leveling up, the collecting shards, and the tamagotchi Usami. Even if she's not the mastermind and turns out to be a good guy, I'm expecting something big from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Another question that can be raised is, who makes Monobear? And who makes Usami? They are very similar in design, and there is obviously also a Monomi judging from the title screen, so they may be made by the same group. But what group, and what were their purpose? Were they both a part of Hope's Peak technology/research?

And is Usami legitimately good or is she bad like Monobear (personally I am leaning towards she is good). If Usami is good and Monobear is bad, it is plausible that Monobear is based off of a male counterpart of Usami (a non-mono bear) but is altered by the Despair group, kind of like a rogue AI (but can be puppeteered). This can mean that Usami was legitimately surprised by Monobear's entrance, as she sees he is not 'one of her' and actually wants to stop him. She, or whoever controls her.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Fearless_Decoy posted:

There has to be a high-res version of this somewhere, I must see the palace that is being built for the hamsters.

Oh my god I just noticed the hamsters are actually on top of/in the sandcastle. :allears:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I really hope royal, polite, but a little daft Sonia starts befriending blue-collar smart easygoing Souda. :3:

(This means I don't want them to be friends, because I don't need a repeat of ANIKIII!!)

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

The thing I hate about mystery games is that there's so much possibility for reverse-reverse-reverse-reverse-to-infinity psychology.

1. He's a crossdresser!
2. Can't be, because they already did that last game.
3. But that's what they WANT us to conclude!
4. No, it's stupid and would be lazy writing/repetitive
5. But no one will see it coming!

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I actually really like Akane. She doesn't give a gently caress about anything. It's a good twist on Asahina, who was driven, firm in her decisions, and confident. Akane has a streak of Leon in her: Good at what she does, but has different interests than what people have planned for her.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Oh what the gently caress.

quote:

Howawa! Even my display name says "Monomi" now?!

Display name? What is she talking about here, is it specifically talking about the user interface of the game, like a fourth-wall thing? I just don't get it I guess.

quote:

This is the face I would expect the game to zoom in on at the very end of a trial, reminds me of Leon's. He's gonna murder someone.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

King Christmas posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a fourth wall break, considering the inclusion of the dialog box.

Ah okay. I just wasn't sure where/if it said 'Monomi' on the inclusion of the UI there, since I can't read Japanese. :v:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

The rabbity-bear joke was a good joke and I laughed. :colbert:

Orenronen, does Dangan Ronpa 2 have a book with official art, behind the scenes concept art, etc like the first game did? I'm dying to see some early designs of some of these characters, especially Gundam and Souda.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I think the male/female symbols and scribbled hearts are being overanalyzed; we already know that Mikan is an apologetic crying trainwreck, so it might just be pointing to the fact she had an abusive relationship or something. You know, an origin thing rather than something that's going to happen later. One character background motif in the opening means "A Battle Royale of the sexes will happen!"? Come onnnnn

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

orenronen posted:

The moment I entered my cottage, I collapsed on the bed.

...Why the gently caress is this happening?!

I was so troubled, I just yelled at myself...

I didn't want to see anyone else anymore. If only I could stay here, alone, forever...

Seriously, what is actually stopping this from happening. Why can't one just stay in their room all day other than when they eat and poop? It's not like it's even a windowless soul-sucking environment this time! There's a pretty ocean to look at! (And no one is going to break into your cottage, either, because destroying stuff is forbidden...)

E: Maybe the Gamer will start hoarding games in her room and just become a full-fledged unstable SHSL Hikkikomori.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Just like last time, the game-breaking strategy isn't "hide alone in your room", it's "stay in a big group in the place where the food is, only sending people away from the group in pairs, never letting more than one pair leave at a time.

That'd be ideal, but we see how well plans involving a group went with the last batch of students.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I had to google search this term. Why couldn't you just say SHSL Shut-in? This kind of thing irritates the poo poo out of me

Because these are Japanese characters and the term hikikkomori isn't just a goony anime word? It's a really loving awful and well-known cultural phenomenon.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Jesus, I wish I just used 'shut-in' so this stupid derail didn't happen. I'm well aware that just hiding in a room during a murder game doesn't actually equate to the psychiatric qualifications of what a the-word-that-started-a-derail means, it was just an exaggeration. I refrained from going on a giant paragraph about how it is just short of an actual mental illness because I didn't want to be a SHSL Shitposter, but I guess someone went ahead and did that for me. Sorry, slowbeef.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There are no rules against busting down locked doors, so regardless of your nationality locking yourself in doesn't do you much good. You could try all staying together all the time but you'd probably end up hating each other so much that open fighting would break out.

The rules state that vandalism of property is prohibited. Surely breaking down a door or destroying a lock on a door counts? It's not their property.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Togami's eating habits make me wonder now whether he gained weight on purpose or if he really does have a newfound 'problem'. :v:

Fedule, I don't mind that Owari kind of sounds like Souda. In my head she kind of sounds like Osaka from Azumanga Daioh, which kind of fits how chill she is. That speaking style in general is just a good thing to give to easygoing or free-spirited characters, I wouldn't worry about an overlap.

E:

TKMobile posted:

However, anybody else notice this? I dunno if this is just the case for Hinata, but, uh, there's gonna be trouble with a bed that's sitting right under the loving window.

Who's going to want to have to pick up every tiny speck of broken glass they 'littered' with just then? :colbert:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Teenagers do a lot of things to be edgy.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Mersenne posted:

As for Souda, his increasingly scaredy-cat paranoid behavior is rapidly becoming... off-putting. I don't so much see him as the first victim, but as the first murderer. Maybe he wouldn't actually plan on killing anyone, but given Souda's current state of mind I can easily picture him flipping out and killing someone in self-defense. Unfortunately, knowing Monobear, a murder in self-defense would still count as a murder. :smith:

That is literally the first case in the first game. They're not doing that again.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

One thing they didn't fully explore in Dangan Ronpa was the possibility of using Monobear as a murder weapon.

Below is all hypothetical:
Somehow set into motion a chain of events that leads to a fellow student being punished by monobear, and then deny culpability until after the court has reasoned that Hiyoko really should have chosen a better place than Monobear's statue on which to vivisect Gundam's hamsters.

Monobear takes the blame, people move on with their lives for a day or so, at which point Hanamura publicly says "Yeah, I set that all in motion. The plan succeeded, Hiyoko's dead. I win"

I would be very interested in seeing how something like that would work out in terms of monobear's "ethics" and set of rules.

Hmm, I'm trying to figure out if that can work. I'm trying to think of the situation where Celes and Yamada worked together. It all comes down to whether she would have been punished along with Yamada if only Ishimaru got killed. Of course, then she murdered Yamada, so there's no way to say one way or another, I guess...

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Oh, okay. So that does technically mean a monobear punishment-assisted murder counts!

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Gensuki posted:

I'm not sure how you'd execute that, but maybe?

Making another person's rulebreaking look like an unfortunate accident while a bunch of people are also present. Of course, with the security cameras and Monobear's all-seeing ever-appearing presence, he would know what just went down, but if everyone else is absolutely convinced it was an unfortunate rulebreaking and not premeditated by someone else, I highly doubt Monobear would speak up about it. Seems like his kind of craftiness.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

:syoon: Oh Gundam, you are so cute! I just want to pinch your little cheeks! Oh man.

Mr. Porkfeet and Chiaki, please.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I'd rather not Google anything even slightly related to Dangan Ronpa. Seriously, it's so easy to get spoiled it's ridiculous. Googling something completely innocuous could get you an image spoiler right on the front page of Google under "image results for..." thumbnails.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Hahahahaha, Gundam is a Bubbly Blogger. :allears:

I'm really surprised that Togami was totally okay with hanging out with us. He's gotten a lot softer, in more ways than one.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Gundam is what Tumblr weirdos think they are.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

orenronen posted:

I am going to say this much about the free time system in the game, just to stop any more of this meta gaming - it's similar but not exactly the same as the one in DR1. In particular, and related to the current discussion, there are events you simply can't see until you finish the game once (not even by replaying chapters), and there are even entire free time sequences that are locked off if you don't start them early enough in the story.

Not all of which are just because someone died? :v:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Togami certainly seems to be somewhat oblivious to what Monobear is and their situation, however calm and collected. However, Togami could already know what is going on-- and by extension, was maybe even expecting it-- and just hiding it from the rest of the cast while assuming a leader role.

I feel that if he were to tell them right out "Relax, I've played this game before and survived!" it'd go badly for him. Not just because of Monobear, if indeed this one doesn't know Togami isn't in their class, but also because the others would turn on him or see him as a threat.

For those reasons, I am choosing to stick with the assumption that fat Togami is our old friend Togami.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Personally, the bit I'm most surprised by is Owari's reaction to Kuzuryuu. That's a worrisome reaction, isn't it? If Togami wasn't here to defuse the situation, she'd have thrown down right there.

Besides the near-confirmation of my statement that this Togami is our Togami, this is what stood out to me the most in the update.

Owari is a dangerous player in this game. I didn't think about it before, but I should have. It's been stated that she's careless and somewhat self-absorbed, in that she won't do something unless she feels like it on a whim. She doesn't care about rules and she doesn't care what others think of her. She is unpredictable and therefore scary when it comes to a murder game.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Mondlicht posted:

there's something weird about announcing your secret party location in a monitored area.

Didn't they do this last game too, with the public bath at some point? They'd meet up in there because Monobear wouldn't go in there. I'm pretty sure they said that out loud in another area to each other.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

You'd think that if they were trying to hold the party in a place where Monobear wouldn't crash it, Togami would walk up the the cabin, notice the TVs and cameras, and go "welp okay well I guess that was a poo poo plan party's off." :v:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Roro posted:

On topic, I wonder if Teruteru cooked Kuzuryuu? Unless that "I'll cook you too!" comment was a really lovely come-on.

It will be revealed that the entire meal was cooked with Mondo Butter and everyone will puke until they die.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Glazius posted:

Togami must really trust the complete cipher of a man that we are, to take us into a kitchen full of sharp objects when murderin' is the order of the day.

This isn't as stupid as it sounds considering if they're the only two in there, there could only be one murderer. :v:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I'm kind of missing something. Where the hell did Chiaki even go? She said she was gonna find Monomi but I was under the impression they just kind of appear/disappear whenever they want. What is the purpose of physically leaving the room to go look for something that just poofs into existence? :psyduck: For this reason I think Chiaki is doing something shady. It just doesn't add up to me.

Also this is the second time Coach has talked about his poo poo and the crapper.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I skipped 2 pages here, but:

I like the 'stabbed with skewer from under the floorboards when Togami went down there to retrieve the stuff' idea. However, one thing that we are about to find out can immediately rule out this theory.

There is no bloodstains around the table, only under Togami. This means that the stabbing must have happened where he is lying right now. This means that there will be puncture holes in that carpet under him. If not, it couldn't have been from under the floorboards, because there's a carpet in the way.

This is assuming anyone moves his fat rear end, though. :v:

Also, Gundam's earring is missing and his sprite was altered to show it, which means Gundam's earring missing is probably going to be a red herring. It will have fallen off his ear and under the floorboards, pinning him as the person who must have been under the floor, because from my experience in SHSL Trials, they're :downs: as hell until Naegi sets 'em straight.

Suzuki Method fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 21, 2013

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Is there even carpet under there though? There's the red stripey bit that's obviously carpet. You've got a wooden strip between the carpet and the under-table area that's kind of weird if Nagito laid the carpet, but I could be misinterpreting the art. But then the perimeter of the room seems to just be planks and this table is pushed up against the back of the room. The characters acknowledge the lovely exposed planks often enough we know they're a thing.

I went back to the screenshot after you said that, and

Well poo poo, a bunch of pitch black, how completely useful for me. gently caress that t:mad:

It looks like you'd be correct-- there is no carpet under that table. Lame.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Fighting-Fefnir posted:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but it sounds really suspicious to me that Souda knew where the breakers were in this building presumably no one had been in before Nagito. Also, for how bad he was freaking out before, he seems surprisingly calm now. He's setting off some warning bells.

It was stated that the breakers were in the office when they assigned Peko to guard the office.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Okay

Suzuki Method fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 21, 2013

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Okay, I'll get rid of it.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Actually, he's right. I'm sure the opening video was made before everything was totally set in stone. Probably why he has the wrong shoes. There was a lot of super spoilery poo poo in the last LP's opening video, though, and nothing that was from the demo trial. Either way, I just thought to go back to the video because I remembered there was a clip of the elevator scene, and wondered if Togami was in it or not (I've been extremely suspicious that he's still alive and simply wounded).

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

It's going to really suck rear end if Nagito was the one who murdered Togami. The two most "What the gently caress? How why what?" characters and they're both out of the picture in the first chapter with no explanation whatsoever. :mad:

(typical Dangan Ronpa, to be honest)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I love the way you did Hiyoko's dress.

• Locked thread