Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TehDuke
Oct 17, 2012

Who am I?
What is happening?
Why is butterscotch?
Okay, this is great. I discovered the DR1 thread a few months ago, but only lurked there. Now the time comes when I finally finish it and the very same day the DR2 thread is posted. Life is pretty cool sometimes. :allears:

I'll lay off speculation for now, but I will say it's pretty entertaining to see everyone's ideas of this new batch of characters based on character design and just a few lines of dialogue. I've got my own favorites and ideas whatnot, but given how many curveballs the last game threw at us I'm prepping myself for the unexpected.

Also, this:

Fedule posted:

Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes
Episode the First

orenronen posted:

if Fedule gets his commentary series, I should too!

As a Japanese major and overall language/translation geek, I eat this stuff up. I didn't think I needed any more reasons to keep up with this thread, but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehDuke
Oct 17, 2012

Who am I?
What is happening?
Why is butterscotch?
With this discussion of Fatogami, I started wondering about where the other survivors of DR1 ended up. The only one whose whereabouts we know is Togami here, and the jury's still out on Naegi Nagito. There's really no clue where Kirigiri, Asahina, or Hagakure could be, but it's safe to assume that Syo/Fukawa would want to be close to Togami. Somehow that got me thinking that Togami's weight is somehow tied to Syo/Fukawa. Level with me here a second, I'll explain.

Now, Syo's a serial killer, and she obsesses over and kills guys who turn her on. Togami falls squarely in that group, and if the world's in as bad a shape as Junko wanted us to believe, it's unlikely that Syo would easily find anyone else to obsess over. In that case, Togami's at a much higher risk of being killed by Syo.

So what's a guy to do to avoid a fatal case of Bloodstain Fever? I mean, he could just outright kill Syo/Fukawa, but I don't think Togami would be so keen on that given the events of DR1. It seems odd, but a more humane way to prevent that would be to make it so he doesn't turn on Syo anymore.

Now, we only ever see two of Syo's other victims, other guys who turned her on:
They're both pretty skinny guys, pretty much the only discernable trait I can see that they share(d) with Togami.

Not to mention, there's this quote from the first update:

orenronen posted:

I don't feel like arguing about my body weight right now, but that voice wasn't coming from me.
I could be wrong here, but it seems like Togami's none too happy about his weight; being forced to gain it to avoid being brutally murdered could help explain this.

Of course, this theory assumes a lot, and would really be a kind of silly way to deal with the problem (not that these games don't have their silly moments). It also sounds pretty drat shallow, but I wouldn't put it above Syo to think that way. And in the end we basically know nil about what happened in between games, so there's that. Regardless, given how drastic the change in Togami is from DR1 to DR2, there is almost certainly is a reason for it. I mean, the game wouldn't change his weight so much just to gently caress with us...
... would it? :ohdear:

TehDuke
Oct 17, 2012

Who am I?
What is happening?
Why is butterscotch?

Shirimasen posted:

Why are the characters' names written in Katakana, such as in the following pictures; if they are natives of Japan?

It's probably in part stylistic, like others have said, but katakana is also a lot less ambiguous (phonetically speaking) than kanji. Sometimes not every kanji in a word is immediately legible, even to a Japanese audience - names in particular can be bad about this. Like, take Gundam's name. His family name, Tanaka (田中), is a really common one and anyone with a passing knowledge of kanji should be able to read it. His given name, Gundam (眼蛇夢), however, is more complicated. Even if you know what each kanji means, the way you're meant to read/pronounce it is more up in the air.

There's an interesting dialogue here about the aesthetics of ambiguity in the Japanese language, but I've :spergin: enough and this thread really isn't the place for that.

Now to return to my lurking slumber and await patiently for the trial to begin.

TehDuke
Oct 17, 2012

Who am I?
What is happening?
Why is butterscotch?
Ah, I just realized what Nagito reminded me of during the last part of the trial: The Neighborhood Watch from Hot Fuzz.

Creepy as hell, keeping a big grin on their face while they manipulate and murder to keep their distorted sense of equilibrium. "The Greater Good" and all that.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Nagito's doing something along the same lines... though I'm still hesitant that he's the killer, if only because we simply don't have the whole picture yet.

TehDuke fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 22, 2013

• Locked thread