Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
This Chef kid is...strange. And creepy. Mostly because he looks so jolly and cheerful. Contrasted with the crass and perverted personality it makes him off putting and not very endearing.

I dunno. Yamada had charm. I don't know what this guy has. He's confident. Maybe over confident? Or maybe he's putting up a courageous front because he's actually scared.

Dejablue fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
Nah I bet this kid is a virgin. The reason he is so happy to be where he is? He thinks he is surrounded by naive women.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
I guess the "large breasted athlete" joke continues on. But I think they kind of over did it here. Unless she's super strong so she doesn't get back pain from those things.

And wow. This is the real Togami? How? There has to be an explanation. I look forward to seeing it.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
I guess Monobear is streamlining things a bit this time. I don't remember him talking about the trial process so early in the first game. Eh, I guess there is no need to flip out that twist. This is a sequel after all.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
I get the feeling that this group of survivors won't be as cooperative with each other as the group from the first game.

But despite all of his pessimism I find myself liking Hinata. I'm guessing his sidekick will be that High School Level Luck kid. Because they are polar opposites.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
His "talent" is Luck so I expect him to be lucky.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

Based on the protagonist's somewhat more human reaction to this insane situation (Naegi really went with the flow more than should be humanly possible, probably because being SHSL Hope he was as much archtype as character), it would be really interesting if midway through the game you could, if you picked the correct steps, choose to snap, kill someone, and try and get away with it as a secret secondary ending to whatever the primary ending of the game is.

Dude I'd totally want to try and murder someone. I don't think the first game ever showed us what a mass execution would look like. Say you failed the pick out the culprit on purpose. Would the floor open up from under everyone except the killer and you fall into a pit of spikes?

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
So I guess it is the unanimous idea that Nagito was going to try and murder Togami but it didn't quite work out the way he wanted...

So...when the trial is over and Hanamura is executed. How exactly will Nagito's relations be with everyone else? I mean heck the guy didn't get to do it but he TRIED to murder someone. People are going to be feeding this guy with a 70 foot spoon after this. Nagito seems to be one of your sidekick characters. If everyone is correct about how this all went down then Nagito is no longer trust worthy.

Edit: Heh Yeah basically what RefinedUndefined said somewhere above me.

Dejablue fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 17, 2013

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012

Twiddy posted:

If the criminal can't see you, then they can't kill you!

Ultimate solution! Turn out all of the lights!

But the idea of him stowing away a knife for self defense is, plausible but not believable. Why hide a knife specifically with glow in the dark tape? That would mean you anticipated the blackout. And if you could predict that, any innocent man or woman would have immediately given a warning.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Still can't decide if it's Hanamura as the culprit or not. The signs point to him but I can't tell if it's misdirection or if I'm imagining misdirection because it's Fukuyama Jun of all people and I don't expect him to be killed off so 'easily' - although it might well be part of the misdirection in itself.

I'm going to resign to Hanamura being the culprit. If only because this is a very tutorially case. Probably going to be straight forward with no real twists that haven't already been figured out.

I'm pretty sure by this point I've read DR fanfiction with more enthrall than DR0. But it is apparently part of this story in some way so I'm going soldier on.

Dejablue fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 18, 2013

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
I'm kind of getting a less is more vibe from Junko. Just being honest. I guess people don't really care to see her in such high volume.

You drew that avatar yourself, Winter? Thats actually pretty amazing.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012

Redmark posted:

While we're sharing our dumb opinions on the novel, for my part my main problem with it is that I can't tell what the christ is going on. It's like I read a passage and it goes in one eye and out the other with little to nothing being absorbed. The non-Junko dialogue is probably fine, but the narration is like reading a James Joyce book except you don't get any of the references.

Maybe this is what it's like to read a light novel. Or maybe Junko is supposed to read like a crazy and disjointed.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
I'm wondering is it still considered a murder if someone is killed in self defense? Like immediate, not Leon Kuwata logic. I'd like to see a case where Monobear still demands a trial and self defense has to be proven beyond reasonable doubt or else the poor shmo still gets executed.

Also outside of DR0 is there any other supplementary readings for these games?

Dejablue fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 20, 2013

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012

HangedManArcana posted:

Of course he would. Wouldn't it be despairing for someone innocent to die because they were trying to live, and the students all willingly condemned that person to execution for the sole purpose of saving themselves?

Wow that's a really sick possibility....and I totally want to see it happen! Though at the same time I guess there is a possibility the "culprit" could live if self defense were somehow proven. This is supposed to be "mutual killing"

Edit: Actually when I think about it further that would be extremely hard to prove and even in the first game you had Oowada who technically did not want to kill Chihiro. BUT if he had better control of his emotions it wouldn't have happened. The only character who can truly discern self defense from murder would be Monobear who is the only one who could witness it anyway.

Dejablue fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 20, 2013

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
All I can say is the fallout Nagito will face after all of this is over should be glorious. He shouldn't get a pass just because his murder attempt failed. Plus he is creepy as hell.

How can he be so into hope and friendship if his idea of showing this is by giving up and dying?

What kind of malignant brain tumor does this kid have? I'm interested...

Dejablue fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 22, 2013

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
If anything Nagito is the ultimate jerk here. Its like he's literally trying to drive the investigation off the side of a cliff and get everyone executed. Including himself. And his weird flip flop attitude. So which is it, Nagito? Is one of you the killer or not? Maybe he is a part of some weird cult and wants everyone to drink his hope kool-aid. I remember him saying he'd prove that none of the other students were the killer. He said that didn't he? But now he's saying "Well its impossible to prove who it is so let's just say nobody did and die." Not quite the same thing...

If Hanamura is the final culprit maybe this was Nagito's twisted attempt at saving his life.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
It'd be really twisted if Nagito's last words to Hanamura are "I'm sorry. I tried to save you." Or something really creepy like that.

Given Hanamura's extreme reluctance to take any of this as reality it may be possible that he didn't actually believe in the consequences of his actions. He may not believe that monobear will execute him until near the end of the trial. But he did believe that Nagito, a flesh and blood human, was going to try and kill one of the students. So I may be completely wrong and over thinking this since I don't know Hanamura's mindset at this time. But it'd suck to be executed when you thought you were doing the right thing.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
Speaking of anime. I've been hearing about DR getting an anime this year. This isn't just rumor mill? Is it true?

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
Only 13 episodes? That may mean all of the inconsequential cast and trials will get rail roaded through and the last few episodes will be dedicated to the final trial.

I'd hate that because some of my favorite characters are among the dead. Like Ishimaru and Sakura.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
He's Naegi taken to the illogical extreme. At least that is what it looks like for the moment. For all of Naegi's optimism and reluctance to point out the culprit he understood that the murderer needed to get found in order for there to be any hope for anyone. This dude is trying to steam roll everyone to their doom for the sake of his warped ideals.

Anyway I guess further in we might find out how Gundam got his earring back and that will be ground breaking evidence. Nagito can't be the killer because he'd be covered in Togami's blood if that were true.

Dejablue fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 23, 2013

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
It does look like it'd be easy to cram the anime into 13 episodes. But eh I dunno. Like I said it might feel cramed. Like assembly line. I know these characters aren't deep save the few that carry the story. But that is why I'm looking forward to the anime. I kind of want an expansion. Not a 1:1 retelling. Actually not even that, they may have to cut out superfluous character interaction. And its the superfluous character interaction that I want!

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
Oh well I'm not asking for something new. Just for things to not be cut out. But I understand for time purposes that is inevitable.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
i'm pretty sure if monobear said he did it then he freaking did it! No reason for the mastermind to lie.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
That may be the case. But right now as far as monobear's behavior all we have to go on is his personality in the previous game.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
I may be wrong. But it seems monobear/mastermind only lies when highly sensitive stuff is about to get found out that they'd rather not have found out. In the last game Junko seemed to take her game quite seriously. I don't know about who is running the show this time. May or may not act the same.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
Was it timed just how long the blackout lasted? Maybe 30 seconds or something? Though at this point I think its beyond a reasonable doubt that Hanamura is the killer, I'm trying to think about how much he had to travel to get into position and kill before the lights came back on. Also if he could see something like glow in the dark PAINT from under the floor then surely people would have been able to see a gas flame through the same floor. Unless he managed to guesstimate where he needed to crouch, turned the flame out and then...waited. Which I guess meant his target was Nagito

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
I think Maizono and Leon were the bases for everyone else. Which is why they died first. The artist got so tired of drawing and redrawing them.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
Wow I can't believe it. The fan service shot is what did Hanamura in. It's almost a poetic justice. The pervert obviously would have remembered that in detail.

As far as the cons of screenshot LP's are concerned, I guess I just have to deal with it. I enjoy the speculation too much to keep myself from reading it.

We'll just pile the blame up on Spike/Chunsoft for not releasing the game here so that we could all play it in real time.

Right now I'm interested the most in Hanamura's motive. He was trying to kill Nagito obviously and it's funny to me how Hanamura was using him as a last line of defense when everything started to collapse.

So Nagito was planning murder, maybe Hanamura found out and decided he'd try to improve on Nagito's ever so stupid plan to benefit himself?

Dejablue fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 9, 2013

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
I need to read the manga. If its 100% canon to the game then holy poo poo that's really unfortunate For poor Leon

Dejablue fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 10, 2013

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
Looks like big mama Nanami is putting Nagito back in his place.

I wonder if those two will ever clash...meh probably not. Nagito is too loopy and Nanami is too chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
Wow what an update.

All I can say is, at least now my question about self-defense has been 100% answered. Monobear has now clearly stated that even if your victim wasn't the result of pre meditation, you're still going to be punished.

Even though self-defense is not murder. If anything it's involuntary manslaughter. But eh, Monobear is insane.

Also he is an rear end in a top hat for not telling Hanamura what happened to his mother.

• Locked thread