Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnticitizenOne
Dec 27, 2012
As I think someone else said earlier, Akane has a really weird physique for being a Super High-school Level Gymnast. That, and I find it really hard to believe that this Byakuya Togami is the Byakuya Togami from DR1, unless something really weird is going on.

Before I go any further with this, I read the spoiler policy in the OP, but does anyone know if full spoilers for DR1 are ok in this thread? Is it pretty much assumed, because the OP suggested reading the old LP first, that everyone here is fully familiar with it? Just making sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnticitizenOne
Dec 27, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Full spoilers for DR1 are absolutely allowed, and will certainly be ultimately necessary for discussion. There's already been some discussion about how Junko's personal game in DR1 might relate to what's going on in DR2 and DR0.

Thank you for clarifying.

Anyway, could it be possible that this game began between the time the original sixteen students arrived, and The Worst, Most Despair-inducing Incident in the History of Mankind? This would explain why Hope's Peak appeared to be operating normally when these new students arrived, why everyone thinks the Togami conglomerate still exists, and why the reputation of Hope's Peak hasn't been soured at all. Maybe they (with the possible exception of Togami) were the students scheduled to come in the year after the original sixteen, and then were diverted somehow to a different location.

Seems far-fetched to me, but Dangan Ronpa was never what we'd call predictable. No doubt I'm overlooking something, but with my limited information this seems like a decent explanation.

AnticitizenOne
Dec 27, 2012

Mersenne posted:

Some people have mentioned the possibility of a hidden student on the island; it's too early to say but I don't think it's entirely out of the question. I'm pretty sure we don't yet know the actual size of our current class, so there's no way to know for certain if everyone's accounted for. If Nagito == Naegi and Fatogami == Togami, then we really only have 14 students belonging to the same class, not 16.

Hm. If there is a hidden student, how did they get to the island? If we're not talking about a simulation here, there's not much reason why everybody from Hope's Peak didn't come in on the same fake classroom. I still think this game could be a prequel to the original, because it's very difficult to explain how Hope's Peak retained it's reputation and authority after not only the end of the world as we know it, but the televised student-on-student murder fest that Junko set up. The only other way would be if this is extremely far in the future, which I still don't think would fully explain it, especially considering the Hope's Peak in DR1 looks identical as far as I can tell to the one in DR2.

At the very least, I think we can almost definitely say that this current crop of students arrived prior to The Worst, Most Despair-inducing Incident in the History of Mankind (I still want to know what that is, dammit).

AnticitizenOne
Dec 27, 2012

EdgeryWorthy posted:

I could see the old DR survivors being these new characters, but then where the heck is Hagakure?

There are very marked similarities, but I have a feeling this is just to lead us into thinking we know something about what will happen to them, when we really don't. It was supposedly intended for people who played the first game, and DR1 certainly messed with expectations a lot.

AnticitizenOne
Dec 27, 2012
Gotta admit, I was expecting some kind of retribution when everyone threw away the Usami dolls. I almost thought Monobear wouldn't be involved at all, and she would serve as a different kind of horrifying mastermind. Guess I was wrong, though.

AnticitizenOne
Dec 27, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

Monobear and Monomi are the same 'person': Monobear has replicated both himself and a more subtle, disguised version of himself. His precise clone will serve as the seeming antagonist, and Monomi will serve as the subtly manipulating under the guise of supposed good intentions poison pill among the cast. I believe this due to several things

I'm really hoping something like this is true. Everyone is already suspicious of Usami, though, so who knows what effect it will end up having. What I thought the game was going for when Usami first introduced herself was sort of a flipside of the original, showing how fragile the power of hope can be through Usami's example. Maybe it's even Naegi controlling Usami somehow, like Junko did Monobear. Whatever the answer is, I'm sure it will be awesome, and I doubt we'll guess what it is.

AnticitizenOne
Dec 27, 2012
I think we've gotten way too desensitized to the whole, you know, murdering your best friends aspect of this game if a panty shot is causing this much stir. Speaking of panties, I'm interested in the relationship developing between Hanamura and Pekoyama. His sex references seem to get under her skin when they concern her, and it will be interesting to see where that goes. Perhaps a possible murder motivation? I also think that Sonya might be involved. Hanamura appeared to be playing on her childlike naivete before, but I think she's far smarter and more manipulative than she appears, and might be playing Hanamura. Nothing is certain at this point, though.

Also, who thinks they know who victim #1 will be? I'm going to say it's probably not Souda... Hm, I think Togami, just because that's the biggest possible inversion of my expectations. What does everyone else think?

AnticitizenOne
Dec 27, 2012
Hell, I'll vote for Mikan, because she kind of scares me. Might as well throw in a token vote for Sonya too, though it doesn't look likely for her either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnticitizenOne
Dec 27, 2012
Sonia disappointed me a little bit with this one. It is the first free-time event, but I thought there would be more hints to her more manipulative side that's becoming more and more obvious. Maybe once we get past the background we'll get to the really neat stuff. Her "who are you picking?" comment (I naturally assume she means romantic partners) makes me wonder who she would have picked... I don't know why.

That being said, I still really like Sonia, and I'm going to continue to vote for her as long as she's alive (which will hopefully be a long time). Oh, and another thing, this whole process of picking who we spend free time with makes me want to have this game just so I can see all the events. Does anyone know if oren and Fedule are planning on doing all of them at some point, like they started to with DR1?

• Locked thread