Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Nine pages in under 10 hours. Sheesh.

Wow, this school's characters look a lot stranger. I don't like them. A lot are kinda creepy. There's Fatgami, SHSL Chef, SHSL Mechanic, SHSL Girl-who-buys-too-small-shirts. FEDIT:

If they were worried about being locked in, why weren't people waiting to try and get out through the door the second it opened?

The broken universe glitch of the first few scenes was really interesting, though.

Xander77 posted:

~Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!~

On that note, I dabble in translation work, and a bit of advice I got from more experienced translators / proofreaders - you can rearrange the material you have to make the translation flow better or make more sense, but writing your own additions is a no-no, for obvious reasons. If you want to leave and impression or show your skills, you should consider writing something original, rather than mess with a translation.

True, but it's not unusual for LP'ers to add extra dialogue that wasn't from the source into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Ha ha ha... wow, it's opposite day. That's certainly an interesting approach for the sequel. They've also immediately opened the door for the characters to start speculating about weird stuff, since their last memories were of entering the school and then they're on an island.

Is there a tindeck link for the DR2 theme music?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The only conclusion we can safely reach about the existence of Fat Togami is that this game is not taking place at the exact same time as the first game. The key to understanding what exactly is going on lies with him, though.

I don't like the computer simulation theory (or any variation of "they're clones") because it seems like it would undermine the "all deaths are final" thing that's important for making the audience care what happens.

"It's Makoto Naegi" seems far too blatant to be taken at face value. I'm not even going to assume he's important, He's just as likely to be a red herring to get the player focused on him and less on everyone else.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
"SHSL Good Luck"? Ha ha, yeah, definitely a huge red herring. Other than that, he's the opposite - trying to refuse the invitation and being pessimistic about things.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah, I think I also like the kid mascot pattern better than the speech impediment pattern.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Thinking upon it, the mechanic may not be quite as useful as he seems at first. Okay, if he finds some engines, I'm sure he can get them installed properly.

Then what?

Is there anyone here who can fly a plane? Just because the mechanic could install an engine doesn't mean he can fly a plane. Is there any fuel for the plane? Even if they found fuel and a pilot, which way is home? They can't just fly in a random direction and hope they're heading for a friendly port.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Ibuki is already my favorite character. Conversely, Tsumiki's personality is already getting tiresome. I hope she's more confident with medical emergencies than with conversation.

In DR 1, there were the introductions, then Monobear got everyone to come to the gym, where she told them the only way to escape the school was to kill someone. Nothing happened and then she gave them motives to kill.

We've already met Usami before the introductions, and there was no talk from her about a way to leave the islands. It might be interesting if the first murder is unprovoked.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

IceBorg posted:

Oh and about Mikan, I asked a friend of mine about the liking toilets thing and he said that people who are bullied like toilets because its a safe place to hide in schools. I don't know if that is really a thing in Japan but would make sense with her personality. :shrug:

Oh. I just figured that it was due to her getting asked "What are your likes?", completely freezing up for several minutes, realizing she had to say something, and then just blurting out the first thing that came to mind.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

MadRhetoric posted:

Three chapters in and we already have the madness of repetition. I'm betting she has SHSL ESP or something, but it's fried her ability to form memories.

I think it's more horrifying than that. I think that her ability might have been perfect recall, and Matsuda turned her into this. :gonk:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I like the photographer. The coach is a little over-the-top, though.

The yakuza is the japanese equivalent of the mob, and I believe that in the yakuza, if you fail, you're supposed to cut off a part of one of your fingers as penance, which is what Nagito was referring to.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Leavemywife posted:

gently caress it, it's not worth it.

However, for a change of subject, I'm a big fan of the photographer girl. There's somethin' about her I like.

Yeah, she seems very normal and level-headed, but has a sassy side. I really liked this exchange, which also shows that Nagito has a wisecracking side:

Well, I regret to inform you that you are hereby branded “Hinata-kun the unreliable”.
I expect you to work hard to shake that title off. Act more like a man!
...Hinata-kun. I think your wife is keeping you on a short leash.
I was was talking to both of you! Act more like real men, understand?!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
No... I don't think Monobear will show up at all. I think this island is being run by the Super-High School Level Despair organization. My proof for that is admittedly flimsy, but that present vending machine had Monobear's face on it, and I can't imagine any of the good guy survivors from the first game wanting to put the doll's face on anything.

I've got my own ideas on the purpose of this island, but I'll save them because it's probably too soon to start discussing that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Even if Monobear appearing on the vending machine and the title screen are just to show a connection with the previous game, the modus operandi of what happened to the students is similar enough to DR1 that I'm sure the Despair organization is behind this as well.

Somehow, though, I don't think that there will be a big reveal that the world has fallen into Monobear riots and chaos, that was already done.

Is there an MP3 for the music from the Heart-Thumping Field Trip Big Panic video? That's pretty catchy.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Oh good, the Chef does have some whites to his tiny eyes. I wasn't expecting him to be a lecherous type, though.

Princess? I figured from her western name that she was some kind of exchange student. But isn't that just another variation on SHSL Heir, like the SHSL Gangster is? SHSL Heir wasn't that interesting the first time either.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Dr. Notadoctor posted:

the "but" here is a bit important actually because it goes to "This may seem impudent, but that I am here pleases me." But that I am here, while sounding awkward in natural conversation, does make grammatical sense, and seeing as she is someone who at least appears to have been kept away from normal social interaction, and speaks with relatively flowery language, it works in my opinion.

Yeah, that does sound like the formal speech of royalty, I think that works.

Hanamura is crude, but judging by his line: "That Sonia-san over there seems to be surprisingly naive. I mean, aren't princesses supposed to have a certain level of common sense?", it seems to me that he wasn't really expecting it to work at all, I don't think he was actually trying to trick her.

Although in that case, I'm not sure why he'd even risk getting slapped by trying.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Fedule posted:

Fun articles. Yes, perfect tense/past participle confusion is going to be fun to play with. And, once again, something I kinda sorta know about turns out to have a name and a nifty Wikipedia page.

Just try not to go overboard. The garden path sentences are the work of authors deliberately trying to mislead. Sonia isn't. The current balance is definitely easily readable.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Oh sweet, thanks for the "Welcome Dangan Island music and...

:catstare: Okayyyy... that's unusual. How can a chicken turn into a cow...

Akane is a gymnast, huh? She doesn't seem to have the figure for it. I think that the developers definitely wanted us to make comparisons between her and Aoi.

I don't care for Saionji, but at least she doesn't ALSO talk in third person.

As expected, Togami is also an Heir, but that makes him the third "Heir" type in the cast of DR2. I guess they didn't have that many ideas for new talents. Also as expected, they didn't give a clear hint one way or another about whether it's the same Togami or not.

Hey orneronen, could you add the little bios from the stat cards to the post with the character's portraits, please? Thanks.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 29, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Now that we've met everyone, I have to say that the character I like the most after first impressions is the photographer, Mahiru. That's because aside from Nagito, she was one of the only people to show more than one side in their introduction - there was the sharp tongue, but she showed a pleasant, more normal side as well, and she had a desire to leave the island.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I guess the four school quarters explains the difference between the overhead shot and the mention of extra buildings in DR0. This book is certainly getting much more interesting (not that it was uninteresting before).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Not even Monobear could control the weather and cause it to change on a dime. That's another strange occurrence that hints that reality may be a bit more fluid than usual.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:stare: Akane sure is something.

I wasn't actually expecting Monobear to show up, but assuming that is "him", I think I know why Usami's theme is called "Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:stare: Well, holy poo poo. He's got TransformersTM. Hang on a minute - if this entire thing - including Usami - isn't just some setup by the SHSL Despair Group, then why were there Transformers inside the statue? I mean, if Usami really was telling the truth and was legitimately trying to foster friendships and such on a peaceful safe island, then what are Transformers doing inside the statue?

Just because Togami doesn't seem to remember Monobear doesn't mean it isn't the same Togami - pinpoint memory-wiping was part of the first game also.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
In the first game, Monobear didn't kill anyone to prove it was serious until after the first murder.

I was honestly not expecting Monobear to show up in this game until the previous update. In DR 1, Hope's Peak was soaked in an atmosphere of despair, and yet hope still managed to bloom. My early theory was that the island was an experiment by SHSL Despair, to see that if in a relaxed atmosphere full of optimism and hope, despair could bloom. Monobear showing up openly and encouraging despair has already wrecked that theory, though.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 5, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I didn't expect the game to have two openings (and a NEW version of the Dangan Ronpa theme. I love the music). That's clever, all right. Points to Hinata for not passing out after getting grazed by a bullet. That nurse should probably take a look at it, though, so he doesn't get a scar.

And uh, "(Where) are you? (R.)I.P. (I will) find you" apparently written in blood? :stare: That's really unexpected, and makes that character even more interesting.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 9, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Junko is completely insane and very, very scary, even on the page.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I wasn't expecting the mechanic to crack quite so badly.

quote:

Oh, fine! I get it! I'll just go get him, then!
Wait here! I'll bring him over even if I have to tie him down!

[snip]

Hey, don't tremble like that! Aren't you embarrassed as a man?!

I like Mahiru's attitude a lot. That's why she's my favorite character so far. I'm sure she could have tied up Souda and dragged him in if she needed to.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Remind me - what does it mean when someone doesn't use honorifics? I think Togami didn't use them in DR1, something about how he considered himself above everyone else? They've been left off in a few instances so far by various people, but most notably, Hinata hasn't used them at all.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 17, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Most of the extra dialogue before you talk to Togami is just one or two lines, but it was interesting - even though it probably means nothing - that the conversation with Akane was much longer and two other people jumped in. I like little character development touches like that.

My initial impression of Mahiru was that she was relatively normal, but with a fiery streak. I'm still not convinced that she only gets annoyed at "weak men" or "people who don't conform to gender expectations". I think it's more a general fiery side. She clearly doesn't like Togami, but he rubs a lot of people the wrong way. She may be proactive, but she didn't want to make too many waves, since no one else had a problem with Togami taking charge - not even the gangster, which surprised me.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That was really quite refreshing. Everyone thought it was a bomb, so it was interesting that Togami dismissed that possibility so quickly. It's fair enough, if Monobear wanted everyone dead, the monobeasts should suffice. He also noted that a large organization must be responsible. Togami is actually showing good leadership and a notably different personality than the DR1 Togami.

I liked Sonia's knowledge of the structure and corruption of governments, to show she is knowledgeable in at least that one area, if not more. I also liked her putting Gundam off his guard.

The cook brought "this isn't reality" and Souda suggested that Monomi and Monobear were in league, so it's good to see that people are thinking along the same lines as the thread.

Mahiru Koizumi and uh... I'll roll some dice... Kazuichi Souda.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Jeek posted:

That is a reasonable theory from the reader's viewpoint, but one would not expect a character to make such an assumption this early on, which triggers my :tinfoil: alarm.

I think it's pretty reasonable. Monomi and Monobear look like they're basically the same kind of advanced technology, and Monomi was already suspicious before Monobear showed up, what with the mysterious memory loss and abduction.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
If there's one thing the developers are, it's imaginative. Having Junko return to be the villain again in DR2 would not be imaginative.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I do not mean to simply discredit that way of thinking. There was a time I thought the same way, after all...

Now THAT is interesting. And they're revealing the amnesia thing right away, too, which is good.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That's a pretty good motive. But would Monobear really restore everyone else's memory (somehow) if a murder is committed? I'm not sure I could see that happening so soon. I like all the time we're getting to see the various people before any of them get bumped off.

As for Gundam's different coloured eyes, his grey eye is crossed by a scar. It might be damaged.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 5, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

ApplesandOranges posted:

The real question is, will tomorrow be Murderday?

That would mean only one free time day, and I think that there would be at least two, more likely three at least for the first murder.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Teddles posted:

Perhaps I'm sperging overmuch, but maybe a rule that prevents the same character from going twice in a row? Frankly the game is much more interesting if you know at least a little about each character, and I doubt that dropping all our free-time eggs in the Togami basket will make him step out of his fat suit and reveal his master plan.

I wasn't planning to complain even if Togami wins this free time event again, but I would object if he was polling high in the third free-time event. "We're not likely to get any major backstory reveals from the optional events" is a very valid point. At best, it would be things that could be interpreted in more than one way, like "Junko"'s free time events.

I voted for Sonia and Mahiru the photographer, because I like both her level-headedness and aggressive attitude, but unless she does something very interesting, it'll probably end up being post-LP content.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 11, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Falls Down Stairs posted:

To be honest? I'm somewhat suspicious that maybe we've already had a failed killing.

You mean Tsumiki's accident? :psyduck: Yes, clearly someone thought making an attempt on her life in the middle of a crowd of people by tying a cord around her legs was a great plan.

I don't get the "castle on a plain" reference.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Kyahaha! There's a big demand for someone who looks like me, you know.

That's still creepy, even coming from her, herself.

CandyCrazy posted:

...Kuzuryuu's already dead, isn't he?

I would not be surprised if that was the case.

I admire Togami's dedication to keeping things safe and secure. It's not going to help, but a valiant effort nonetheless. (I'm only half-surprised that Mahiru didn't make a big deal about the body-search, but she also seems pragmatic enough to understand why.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Guarding the circuit breaker is a smart idea. Lots of things can happen with the lights out. Especially with Hanamura around. Looks like it didn't work, though.

Mahiru's pictures might be useful evidence to give alibi's to various people. I'm pretty sure there will be a death at the party.

Hanamura's voice could be heard in the blackout, he was surprised that the blackout wasn't just the kitchen, so he's probably still alive.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 19, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Are you making GBS threads me? That cliffhanger again? (That fanservice is so NOT.) Ha ha oh god the bottle spilling stuff too. what the christ.

Could it be that Kyruzuu's corpse has been in the toilet the whole time? That's got to be important. Not to mention the missing Peko. If she didn't leave, where is she?

Togami's death wasn't surprising. Usually someone who dies is heavily featured in a chapter, and well, that was Togami. The Night vision goggles explains what was in his secret case at least... Hmmm... that seems like more than a coincidence that he was prepared for that. Did he turn the lights out on purpose to see if anyone would try to make a move?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Son Conan posted:

Wow, I didn't expect Togami to be the first to go. I expected to see him give into despair as he found himself incapable of keeping the others from killing each other.

These are the questions I'm asking myself right now:

1) Who (or what) is in the bathroom?

2) Where's Peko? (I'm actually going to guess that she's the person in the bathroom)

3) What is that green strip of material that's hanging over Togami's body?

4) Was Togami actually planning to kill someone and got killed instead (like in DR1)?

1) Nidai thinks they've been in there all this time, and he'd certainly be checking often. We've seen all the other students at the party except for Kuzuryuu. So there are three possibilities: Kuzuryuu is in there, dead or alive, someone other than the 16 (risky), or no one is in there at all and the door was somehow locked to make people think there was someone in there.

2) Peko could be in the bathroom now, but we know she wasn't in there earlier. See Nidai's testimony. She apparently wasn't in the storage room... although we only have Nagito's word for that. If some floorboards are loose she could have left that way, although I can only think of nefarious reasons to do so.

3) It appears to be tape. It looks like a knife was taped to the underside of the table. All the kitchen knifes were apparently accounted for, so it must have been brought in from elsewhere. I only see a few possibilities for who could have put the knife there: Nagito is the prime suspect, he had access to this place all day. Togami frisked everyone, and as the guy in charge of security he could have smuggled in a knife of his own. The third possibility is the implausible idea that someone crawled underneath, lifted the floorboards and taped the knife up underneath. That seems unlikely. It's also probably not from the duralumin case Peko was guarding, because there'd be no need for tape.

4) It depends on whose goggles those were. Togami could have pulled them off of his attacker. The goggles certainly did seem like they belonged to whoever turned out the lights. If they were Togami's, it seems more likely that he would have tried to kill someone than he had them just in case or he arranged the blackout just to try and catch someone planning murder in the dark.

Carrasco posted:

This is probably what happened. My current theory: as soon as the lights went out, Togami crawled under the table, where he'd stashed a knife in case self-defense was necessary. However, the killer already knew this was where Togami would be in this situation, so they snuck under the floorboards and stabbed him with the skewer from under the floor. The skewer would be able to fit between the floorboards, and the way his body is positioned, combined with the lack of bloodstains anywhere but immediately around him, suggests that he was already lying down there before he was killed. (He may have also been able to take a swipe at the killer, hence the blood on the knife.)

Except this doesn't account for the blood all over the tablecloths, and while it did take him by surprise it doesn't really explain why he didn't scream or anything while the lights were off.

Yeah, I like that theory. It does have some problems with how the killer knew where Togami would go and how he could slip underneath and back up quickly, but I can see how that would work.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 20, 2013

• Locked thread