Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Chiaki could do a tv show about videogames, like Game Center CX

I'm loving all the characters so far. Orenronen and Fedule are doing some top notch work with this LP.

Edit: Ortography!

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Well, I think Hanamura is a good representation of a male teenager. :colbert:

Funny how Dangan Ronpa characters tend to be designed to give a different impression of how they really are, for example: Sakura, Chihiro, Fukawa, Junko.

Just because SHSL Cook looks more like a laid back cute guy, there is a lot more backlash once he opens his mouth, and find out he likes doing dirty jokes and ogling girls.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Hey guys, guess who is a fan of Monobear: X-Men supervillain Arcade!

In the new Avengers Arena comic, he kidnaps 16 teen superheroes previously seen in Avengers Academy, and tells them that after 30 days of mutual killing and Murderworld death traps, only one of them will win this new game.

I don't think the writer is copying Dangan Ronpa per se, since it seems from the covers that they're going more for a Battle Royale/Hunger Games thing, but still it's fun to see the premise of 16 teens with strange talents turn against each other in a different media.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

LateToTheParty posted:

:stonk: Oh god! Junko is a SHSL :tvtropes:.

Yup, SHSL Despair alright :v:

I find curious that DR0 Junko is that verbose. I mean, if someone read the novel before playing the game, they would tell right away that something is wrong with "Junko".

I'm wondering if we'll see more conflict between Usami/Monobear. Also, I think Fat Togami might be a cousin/brother to Original Togami, but this game is full of turns, so who knows?

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

So now we're playing a murder mistery game inside our murder mistery game. :psyduck:

There may be the possibility that Hinata was playing from a previously saved game? Someone else started playing from the very start, but then had to leave. Hinata then appears, and advances the game plot, but the dull end is because the previous player made some decisions in his turn (I'd guess the "Not tell anyone we found the dead girl first").

The Monobear theatre migh have to do with unintended consequences: you get confronted with apparently innofensive choices, but then someone else suffers a very bad thing because of your decision.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

I have this idea that only days 1-3 happened during their shared school days. The fourth day actually refers to this recent murder.

So, it was probably done to motivate people to kill Koizumi, who not only has been established as a nosy, no nonsense girl, but also may have photographic evidence of the prior crime.

The girls would be motivated to kill her so their involvement on the school crime is not known, Kuzuryuu might be motivated so he can know more about the death of his sister.

The in-game game makes a point about that broken aquarium, and the missing swimsuit. I wonder if the in-game game baseball bat victim girl might have been trying to cover for someone else's crime.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Clarste posted:

That doesn't make much sense because this recent murder hadn't actually happened yet, as of Monobear showing them the game. I suppose it's likely that the murderer intentionally imitated it for whatever reason, but barring time travel or psychic powers there's simply no way that the game could contain details about the recent murder.

Days 1-3 are their shared past. Then day 4 is likely a suggestion from Monobear, like "If you want to cover your tracks, this is how you have to do it". That might be the "prize" he talked about.

The murderer used day 4 as a template for their crime. As for Kuzuryuu's motive, he saw in the game that a photographer chick, who's identified as Koizumi in the credits, might have info about the murder of someone dear to him. He at least would ask some questions.

Anatharon posted:

He isn't a bad guy per say as much as he seems completely nuts. Japan's mental healthcare sucks, to say the least. :v:

He reminds me of Robert DeNiro's character in The Fan. He idolizes the SHSL students, but won't doubt to be rough with them so they can achieve their true potential.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Maybe we're making the wrong assumptions about the names from the credits. Right now we have F-Suke as Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu (our Kuzuryuu), E-Ko the Day 4 victim as Satou, and the "Day 1 Victim" also as Kuzuryuu. What if that's wrong?

I also feel this way. The blonde girl in the photos looks more like Sonia. Meanwhile, the dark haired girl has her face concealed, so it also could be that she's related to Kuzuryuu.

I have this theory: what if the blonde girl could get away with bullying that other girl, not because she had a family with Yakuza connections, but because she was royalty from a foreign country?

Then the one who would want revenge would be Sonia, and not Kuzuryuu. Might explain why she's so obsessed with japanese culture, wanting an innocent motive to fly to that country and search for her sister's killers herself.

Edit: I mean, they already showed that there can be 2 different SHSL Good Luck title holders, so it's not a stretch that a royal family could produce 2 SHSL Princesses.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Owari was attacked in the same way as Koizumi, didn't she? And she didn't identify the attacker, just said that she thinks it was Nidai, because of their earlier training.

Tsumiki says that Koizumi died instantly, but the file says that the tracks suggest she crawled towards the side door. Did the killer move her? Maybe just propped her against the open door, so when the culprit closed it, her corpse would block it and make it look like that couldn't be used as an exit.

The rules say that once a body is discovered by three people, the investigation starts. Saionji and Souda saw the body. Hinata heard the announcement after Souda got into the beach house. So maybe there's an accomplice/third person who found the body before them.

I'm really interested in this trial, seems like it will be very entertaining.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Jefepato posted:

Saionji did mention "cheap labor."

Where do the non-rich people who work on fancy resorts normally stay? I don't really know at all, but I guess a motel doesn't sound right either.

The island staff probably would have their own accomodations, so the motel may be for traveling bands and other entertainers.

Penakoto posted:

If that movie really is the next murder motive, I bet Komaeda seeing it first will end up being important somehow. Really curious to see what it ends up being.

It can only be La Fin Absolue du Monde. Nagito wasn't affected because he's so full of hope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_Burns

Wikipedia posted:

Deeply in debt to the father of his late wife, rare-films dealer Kirby Sweetman has less than a month to produce $200,000 in order keep his small theater afloat. He is hired by an old cinephile, Mr. Bellinger (Udo Kier) to find the only existing print of a rare thirty-year old movie, La Fin Absolue du Monde (French: The Absolute End of the World). The film supposedly led to a homicidal riot at its first screening, after which it was destroyed.

Everyone should see it, it's a pretty neat episode from Masters of Horror, directed by John Carpenter.

Edit: spelling.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 10, 2013

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

He thrives on the despair caused when the paywall causes a lot of outsiders to miss the best parts of the game.

Because he's Monobear, you see. :v:

He's done a great job with these LP's, and I really want to thank him for devoting so much time and resources to this. Fedule too, for helping with the translation.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Narsham posted:

All we know is that Hinata believed that his parents bought his way in. He may well have a talent but be in denial about it. These lines demonstrate the people talking don't actually know anything about why he was admitted.

If he does have a talent, it's likely he either didn't know it or is in denial about the whole affair.

Well, not all SHSL talents may be useful ones. He may be a SHSL Critical Thinker, but it only has become an useful ability now that he had to argue and explain things related to the murders.

Thinking again, why would Hope's Peak need to go all the trouble setting up a Prep School to squeeze some money? Wouldn't they have a SHSL Financial Adviser to make investments for them? Or have their former alumni donate some fat stacks of cash to their alma mater?

Unless it is related to the Most Despairing Event, that it somehow caused them to also go bankrupt.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

orenronen posted:

That explanation (as well as the details of how Hope Peak's prep school system works) was covered near the beginning of DR/Zero. The short answer is that the school's management got greedy.

Well, it's been a while since I read DR0, and only a few chapters at that. I really should go back and finish it.

Apollove posted:

Most Despairing Event confirmed to be the stock market crash

You joke, but this would make some sense. The world started leaving everything in the hands of the SHSL people, but then something too big for them to solve started a downward spiral of multiple crisis into despair and Monoworld.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

But her brain is hardwired for success. That's all success is, you're either born with a winners brain or a losers brain. You either have a brain hardwired to push harder that makes you strive for success or you don't. There's no difference.

So, Togami should be a SHSL Bootstrap Puller? :v:

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Entrance into the school is not only not for sale, you literally cannot enter if they don't invite you first. That was the entire point. They seek out insanely talented individuals and then ask them to come to the school. My impression was even that they probably aren't an overly expensive school and make most of their money off selling the poo poo their students come up with as well as donations from their hugely successful graduates

I think the closest example would be Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters a.k.a X-Men School: The only way you can get into the beautiful mansion with indoor pool, holografic training grounds, cool international teachers and stealth jet fieldtrips to the Savage Land, is only if you're born a mutant.

On the other hand, you could end up as a guy with lobster claws or super hairy feet, instead of eye-laser beams or telepathy.

As for the financial situation of Hope's Peak, orenronen already said the faculty got greedy, so that's why they created their scam prep school.

The main impression I'm getting from DR1 and this game, is that being a SHSL person is not as great at it seems. These are kids who had to devote their time and energy at pursuing mastery in one kind of skill, and that has turned them into very flawed individuals.

Take Togami, for example. He's a succesful industrialist and magnate, but to get there he became a very cold, detached person that seems relationships as unimportant. It took the whole set-up of the first game to change his world view for the better.

Which brings me back to the whole prep-school scam: the SHSL abilities we have seen have nothing to do with normal high-school classes. They're more like hobbies or interests taken to levels only an adult would get to after years of doing them, but not something that can be taught in a classroom. Studying alone wouldn't get you to SHSL; I mean, Hagakure was an idiot, Owari is not very smart, Nidai just thinks of physical improvement.

I think that becoming a SHSL student means they let other parts of their lives to languish. If it turns out Hinata does have a SHSL skill, then it must be something that didn't stop him from becoming a more well-rounded individual.

Edit: words.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 21, 2014

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

Also, when DR3 comes out I really want the protagonist to have an actual skill. It might make them not enough of a blank slate, but I think it'd be an interesting perspective.

SHSL Jack of All Trades, Master of None :v:

I think that what made DR1 Togami a SHSL Heir was that he actively sought to gain more money, instead of just letting it gain interest in a bank. Give him any amount of money, he makes it grow. Have no money? He'll just get some and make it grow insanely, again.

He may have better tools, but his skill is second to none.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

Edit: It's possible that Komaeda woke up and saw something related to the murder but is too addled to fully piece together what is going on. His talk about their being two Mioda's seems relevant to the situation at hand.

Platystemon posted:

Chekhov’s supply closet has exactly what is needed for such a ruse. :stare:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyway Saionji has no reason to be here in the first place. So how she got here is really important. Saionji was very paranoid about the disease and refused to come out of her motel room. If someone tried to break into her room there would have been a massive chance of getting caught. So it really makes no sense for her to be here.

The two Ibukis that Komaeda saw might have been the real one, and the one used as a double to do the video. I think when Hinata saw Ibuki walking in the hall the other night, was when the culprit first tried to kill her by ordering her to go outside the hospital, but since Hinata ordered her back to her room, the plan was spoiled.

Therefore, the culprit or an accomplice had to go get her. To not raise suspicions, they dressed in an hospital gown and covered their head. They got to Ibuki, told her to cover her head too, and then Nagito saw them when they were leaving the hospital, making him think he saw twins.

As for Saionji being out of her room, it wouldn't be too hard. Just tell her you've found a way to make Kuzuuryu pay for what he did, that would be enough to lure her out.

Here's where I believe it gets tricky. The culprit ordered Ibuki to kill Saionji. Then, to stage the recording, the culprit dressed exactly like her, and ordered her to imitate their every move. Except that the culprit had no noose before them, so when they jumped off the ladder, they fell safely, and Ibuki ended up hanged.

Ibuki was an (un)willing accomplice :smith:

The last part ocurred to me, because long ago I read a mistery tale where people were killing themselves by hanging, jumping outside the window of a particular inn. People thought there was a curse, but a young man discovered it was because the person in the room across the street was hypnotizing them, by dressing like the guest, and imitating their movements. The victim started to act like the murderer wanted to, and then the culprit used a doll to make them commit suicide.

Of course, this is only going by the info we have now. I will probably be hilariously wrong in some way, but I did miss crafting these crazy theories :shepface:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I just realized that ugh.... Mikan sneaking into Hinata's room is going to come up as Hinata's 'alibi', and maybe hers as well. Ugh.

If anything, that's one of the parts I'm looking forward in the coming trial, just to see what Nanami has to say, and Hinata's reaction. Knowing Mikan, she'll probably phrase it in the most awkward way: "It couldn't be me, because at that time I was in bed with Hinata-kun! And I was holding him so tight, he couldn't go anywhere!"

It will be hilarious. :allears:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

To be fair, it's not really specific to Nanami. If not her, someone else would have expressed it because Japan/anime. Still annoying though.

Maybe she was saying it so Kuzuryuu wouldn't feel bad about his lack of strenght due to not healing properly yet? Or for Mikan's benefit, the clumsiest, weakest girl on the island, who also tends to blame herself?

If she really wanted to be a dick, she would've said "Hold it! I'll go get the real strong men to help us open this door. Don't try it again, Hinata-kun, since you're just a lone, frail boy."

Edit: forgot the quote.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

pidgeon posted:

I think that is too complicated for something said so carelessly. Also, Nanami is not injured or clumsy.

Maybe she's filling in for Koizumi, who used to be the token gender-roles enforcer. Like how Souda inherited Hanamura's perversion after he died.

Kal-L posted:

If she really wanted to be a dick

Granted, telling the other two to stand back and opening the door just by her and Hinata's effort wouldn't be as dickish. Maybe if afterwards she turned around and told them "You two are useless!"

New theory: Nanami is being possessed by Koizumi's ghost. She'll transform into Koinami mid-trial.

Edit:

And More posted:

Blatant, weird gendering aside, it sounds to me like a really blunt hint. The door was easy to open. It looked sturdy, but it did not actually require much effort to open.

Now this makes much more sense.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Does it come with Super High School Level Karate moves?

• Locked thread