Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mushball posted:

I first heard about this movie from my brother, he said it was going to be just like a live action mecha anime. Based off a glance from a early photo of the movie, I thought the ex-pilot was going to be played by Bruce Willis and its going to be just like Evangelion but subsitute Shinji for Korbin Dallas from the fifth element. I realize now that looking at the photo, the ex-pilot guy has hair so it can't be Bruce but this movie might be cool to see when it comes out.

If it's an consolation, the ex-pilot guy is played by the President of SAMCRO on "Sons of Anarchy".

Or the doofus rebel who keeps getting door checked by Clive Owen in Children of Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Stanko-Prussian posted:

I suspect there's no reason at all for the dual pilots thing other than Everybody's Favourite Evangelion Episode "Dance Like You Want To Win!"

That's what I thought as well.

But, the thing is that it's not every suit needs two pilots. The Coyote Tango only uses one, but the Crimson Typhoon has three. No doubt because they need another pilot to wield the second pair of arms.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Asiina posted:

The Russian one reminds me of this dude from Bleach and his stupid loving hat.

He's noticed you did not mention him...

As for Evangelion talk, watch the TV series, including it's ending. Then watch End of Evangelion. Then the Rebuild movies.

I'm not going to expand on in it in this thread but supposedly all three like some sort of Schrodinger's cat scenario, where they both exist and don't exist, or like some sort of time travel loop. However, everything starts with the series.

As for big gently caress-all super robot anime, there's always Aim For The Top! Gunbuster, where it's teenage girls in giant robots going off to war, fighting epic space monsters the size of small islands and enduring relativistic travel and the Earth changing as they go further out to fight the alien horde. I'm surprised if the paired pilots premise doesn't come from that show as well. The last episodes get so megaepic at its climax, with, at one point, they weaponize Jupiter into a giant singularity bomb to throw at the aliens.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Urdnot Fire posted:

After this, giant monsters/robots will be required in every American film.

I hope this makes way for a live-action Gundam movie before the Bald Wizard Tomino bites the bucket. He's been wanting to make one involving the Char-Amuro-Lalah triangle, even with the caveat that excises the robot action, but I don't think anyone in Japan would do so and America would require the robots.

And before anyone brings up G-Savior, the point still stands. :colbert:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WickedIcon posted:

Super Dimension Fortress Macross. It's probably from the movie, Macross: Do You Remember Love.

Yeah, it was part of Robotech, a Westerized localization that was merged it with two other shows in the mid-Eightes. At least another part of that show, the post-apocalyptic Mospeda, is filled with that style of action as well. It is surprisingly easy to get into.

Anything done by Studio Nue is probably going to have some form of the Itano circus in it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gann Jerrod posted:

They just announced that one of the producers of the Walking Dead Aliens and The Terminator is working on Gaiking, so something's happening at least.

FTFY :colbert:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Paper Lion posted:

Gunbuster uses a planet as a grenade

Not just any planet, but Jupiter (although is reduced to being about half the size of the Moon).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alehkhs posted:

Based on the pattern on the shoulder pad and the connection ports at his ribs, I'd say he's wearing roughly the same style of armor (only flipped) as can be seen on the left in that first, full-mask picture.

Yeah, the green female armor is the one seen in the Russians screenshot, and you'll notice that their armor is essentially mirror-flipped, with Zangief's big connection jack pauldron and the big eye on the opposite side of Brigette Nielsen's armor. So, it stands to figure that this is Elba's partner's pilot suit.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, yeah.

Would you want to meet a kaiju's headlice? Because I sure wouldn't.

You mean like the little crab monsters that make people explode in Cloverfield?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'd say check a used media store local to you. Something like Vintage Stock, Movie Trading Company, Half-Price Books, etc. There's a lot of places that have used anime DVDs. You usually can find legit copies for something like $5 per volume.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

His episode of NTSF:SD:SUV was pretty awesome too.

He was pretty much a near regular cast member on Tim & Eric Awesome Show Great Job!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Some stuff from the Facebook page

Every time I see this picture, it makes me think of Combat Armor Dougram or one of the Unseen Eleven from Battletech, the Shadowhawk.

Well Manicured Man posted:

I love Cherno Alpha's cooling tower-shaped head.

Edit: Aargh, Chernobyl. It's supposed to be a walking nuclear plant. Why did I not catch this sooner? :argh:

Yeah, it makes me think the Russians are looking at the fancy directed-energy stuff the other countries are coming out versus the Kaiju and going "Pfft, there's no need for that. We'll just make fusion reaction and have it throw out super-heated plasma like a flamethrower."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

tallian posted:

Its like the Evas were powered by the souls of the pilots mothers, so to are these robots are powered the souls of conservative politicians.

To fight monsters, we created monsters.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Neat little blade runner reference.

He only does Kaiju eyes.

I'm hoping that Perlman actually says that in the movie, because that name was completely lost on me when I read it until you mentioned it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

None of what we've seen has been out in the middle of the ocean it's been near the coastlines within sight of land so lets assume Kaiju move fast and hide well enough that we can't pick them out in the middle of the ocean and nuke them so it's either irradiate the costs one or two Kaiju at a time and wait for the nuclear fallout to spread, blow them to bits conventionally and wait for the toxic fallout to spread or bludgeon them to death with minimal fluid spatter. Fact of the matter is if humanity has resorted to something as downright impractical and crazy as sending giant robots to punch it, all other options have been explored.

And nukes don't kill giant monsters, nukes make giant monsters. Nobody asks why they don't nuke Godzilla do they? I mean aside from that one guy that figures the best way to kill Superman is to throw him into the sun.

I was going to bring this up. Maybe gamma radiation allows them to regenerate or grow faster and stronger like Godzilla or the Hulk, so they have to resort to punching them out.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Though I think the supplementary material says 'N2 mine' is a polite term for 'antimatter bomb', so that's not a huge improvement.

Yeah, they were originally called P-Bombs, some sort of accelerated particle bomb that, for all intents and purposes, are nuclear weapons with zero gamma radiation and fallout. It's why in the show Misato and Shinji can be something like 8 km from ground zero when one goes off in the first episode and suffer only overpressure effects.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ACanofPepsi posted:

The designs were just ugly for the sake it "alien technology" but aliens with a better grasp of geometry and mathematics would just make completely random shapes, not spiky humanoids. There are experiments performed where computers designed crazy-efficient antennas and they're all incredibly weird looking. I actually liked the Angels in Evangelion because most of the time they're just a big weird diamond shape instead of always being a large humanoid conveniently the same size as the robots they're fighting.

Without getting into another Eva derail, I loved what they did with the 5th Angel in the new movies. The 5th Angel would transform itself from the octohedron diamond shape it used to defend itself into this...

And it's close-combat mode back to shielding incoming fire and returning fire...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I so did not know Stormare was the Bucket Knight. It sounds so unlike most of his roles. I mean, Sir Slicer definitely sounded like Stormare, with that European gutteral drawling.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blue Star posted:

Interested in knowing this, too. God, I loved that part. I loved how it took a second to register. You just see some fish flopping around and thinking "Huh...ooooooh shiiiiiiiit....." and then the water comes rushing back in.

Yes. Just like air, water is vaporized and turned into a plasma shockwave, which the vacuumsuperheated gas is then refilled by the displaced water. The thing is with nuclear explosions at a significant depth, the blast wave bubble expands and cavitates multiple times.

e:fb

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oh, yeah, I caught this today.

Why did Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha gotta go down like punks? :qq:

Also, I want to know what the fat-boy Jaeger they showed in the exposition montage was.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dreffen posted:

Think he's talking about Horizon Brave

http://pacificrim.wikia.com/wiki/Horizon_Brave

That's the one. I think I called it the fat-boy because of the little toy they made of it.

Christ, reading through the Jaegers and the supposed history, I want to see Matador Fury. That sounds like a story that could be dusted off if there's a sequel.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

The moon's not very international, only like 3 countries have been there or something, right?

And Antarctica is only really close to South America, Africa and Australia. The pacific rim is a pretty huge amount of people.

If there's a sequel, it's going to be the Atlantic. Which means Hollywood would now be ripping off Asylum movies.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

JackDarko posted:

The real story about Matador Fury was that it the first and only Jaegar to incorporate an iphone dock, and they got lost trying to get to the Shatterdome due to the pilots using MAPS for navigation.

That should totally be how the justify Jaeger's showing up in the sequel.

Truth. Or they got locked up when their section got dismantled.

You know Danny Trejo has to be one of those Mexican ex-convicts. poo poo, make the other Javier Bardem and have it be some weird "Kiss Of The Spider Woman" situation.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Peruser posted:

You guys act as if they can't just salvage Cherno Alpha from Victoria Harbor :colbert:

The same thing with Crimson Typhoon. Between both of them, there's parts to build one kick-rear end Jaeger.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

redstormpopcorn posted:

I kinda took Raleigh's "it's analog" as layman's shorthand for "this thing runs on a pair of nuclear pulse reactors, OF COURSE it's EMP-shielded."

Actually, I was able to ignore the analog part because he makes the comment "Gypsy's nuclear" and it instantly reminded me of the big reveal in Giant Robo OAV about why Robo continues to function when everything else (powered by the clean-energy, pollution-free Shizuma drive) has been depowered. And I was willing to forgive that.

Xealot posted:

I like the idea of an animated series. That'd be way more feasible financially, and makes sense given the audience; it's designed as a stylistic nod to anime, so the fanbase that cares enough for a series probably accepts that. Also a lower budget would probably free GDT to take more risks with story and character. I'll take that over feature-quality effects funneled through the creative constraints of whoever's backing the project.

Crossposting my own comment from the Greenlit thread...

quote:

Goddamn yeah. It really felt like it could be done as a cartoon series. You've got Rayleigh and Mako as the male and female leads, Marshall Stacker as the boss character/father figure of the group, you can play off the other teams as rivals, the Charlie Day character as the wacky scientist, and Hannibal Chau could be rewritten as some supervillain bringing over the Kaiju. Throw in a pet Kaiju as a sidekick and BAM! Saturday morning television or a slot on the Cartoon Network.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 18, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Piell posted:

If the sword is a phallus then what does it mean that Strike Eureka has labia-shaped knives?

Also, chestbreast missiles.

Level Slide posted:

Has Tiffany "Asuka Langley Sohryu" Grant done any live-action stuff? She should be a pilot in the sequel. Figured she'd be all over that, considering she is literally an anime.

She was in Arlington Road as one of Jeff Bridges' students. I'm not sure if she's got any lines though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

How are u posted:

Yeah....same thing at my local cinema. Grown Ups 2 full slots, Pacific Rim down to 4 showings a day in 2d and 4 more in 3d. Oh well, we had our shot and failed, now we can look forward to watching the international numbers continue to come in :)

I'm telling folks that this is probably going to be the last weekend you'll see Pacific Rim in theaters so, if you have friends who want to catch that spectacle, you best do it now.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

I think if even their coloring was more dissimilar it would have gone a long way into helping tell them apart with all the dark lighting.

This is true, they seemed to be the same mottled greyish-green or blue. It would have been nice to see some other colors thrown in.

Although, I'm not sure how well that would have worked with some of the lighting of the Hong Kong fight.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Koramei posted:

He says they're genetically identical at least once, and mentions the clone thing several times I'm pretty sure.

And being born does not mean they can't have been cloned- we clone (complex) things through wombs today. Maybe after a certain age the limbs they're born with become completely ineffective and so they have to graft on more, or maybe they do repurpose old Kaiju, or maybe those are living room decorations. Who knows. We don't know anything for sure. Basing (silly and counter to the author's intent for the movie) arguments on unknowns is ridiculous.

Most likely is that they do the grafting as an accelerated growth process. If you're throwing them out every few weeks or even days, the Makers could have stacks of muscle and bone lined up in growth vats that as soon as a Kaiju is grown, they just add on more. Maybe graft on some extra limbs or some new acid-generating glands to spice things up.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Biggest Jerk posted:

While this movie isn't doing amazingly domestically, it's been doing pretty well internationally despite the fact that it hasn't been released in Japan or China.

Yeah, it's doing really well in Russia, Mexico, and South Korea.

You know what that means? In the sequel, Cherno Alpha returns and Matador Fury is deployed.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

Proof? Chuck certainly isn't. It's doubtful that the Wei triplets are. The Russians are implied to be gangsters or something of the sort. The Beckett boys didn't strike me as soldiers either.

Another wish about Matador Fury being included. The backstory on that was the pilots were convicts who were granted parole each time they piloted Matador Fury.

Also, the only place I've heard of "miracle mile" before is Miracle Mile in Los Angeles and Miracle Mile, a movie starring Anthony Edwards about a guy trying to hook up with his girlfriend on the eve of a nuclear war.

My guess is that GDT and Beckman use the term as a kinda last-ditch defense before the Kaiju reach a populated area, that it's a mile before the city in which the Jaeger has to pull off a miracle to stop the Kaiju. Or maybe it's a red line for nuclear attack, in which if the Jaeger is defeated and it crosses into that area, out come the nukes to stop it from getting any further.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 21, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

XBurritoXLogicX posted:

Ah see I missed the toxic waste blood. That would make sense for not using something like bunker busters on them. The Jaegers themselves don't exactly seem to be designed to kill without spilling blood. They almost all had edged weapons that spill a lot of blood. Hell Typhoon had three spinning blade- anything it killed would be like thowing a pudding cup at a fan.

The intense heat from the plasmacasters cauterize the Kaiju blood. The blades are better used out in the open water, where the Kaiju blood can be diluted and neutralized. That's why the Crimson Typhoon and Striker Eureka are sitting out in the water waiting to intercept and why the Gipsy Danger's sword luckily doesn't come into play until they're way the gently caress out of Hong Kong.

Also, I think the blades can be heated as well, for added penetration and cauterization. I swear I heard that from somewhere but can't remember.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

With all this Slattern talk, you think GDT named a Kaiju "Laputa" after the Miyazaki film and the floating continent in "Gulliver's Travels".

Yes, it means "the whore" in Spanish, too.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

Looks like Pacific Rim got renewed for another week at my local IMAX3D theater so it must not be doing that poorly. Time to give them more of my money.

I guess we've moved from "horrible box office bomb" to "surprise hit of the summer" entertainment news meme.

sean10mm posted:

If the kaiju are sentient doesn't that make them worse? Instead of an amoral force of nature unleashed by their creators like meaty tornado robot things, they knowingly make the choice to make mass-murdering humanity their #1 priority because of...orders or something?

Now, where have I heard that before? Oh, yeah, that's literally Adolf Eichmann's defense for his role in the Holocaust.:godwin:

There you have it, Kaiju are fascists, therefore you shouldn't feel bad for them when someone whips out a phallic sword and sticks it into them. Case closed. :colbert:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fangz posted:

(a) Studying disabled enemy.

(b) Trying to ascertain whether primary target was killed in the roof collapse.

b) could also be the Precursors or whatever trying to capture or drift with Newt to gather more information.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Fan art time?

Yes.

Newt's kissing the brain in the jar. :roboluv:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

We'd get Del Toro's King Kong?

That would likely have been his adaptation of "At The Mountains Of Madness", which we'll likely never get.

Which, now that I've brought it up, I'm going to pre-emptively quote someone...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Good.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Is it me or has Guillermo lost weight? He doesn't seem to be as rotund as he used to be.

Then again, he's wearing the slimming color of black and standing next to both a giant rubber monster and a cute Japanese girl (suck in that stomach, del Toro), so that makes anyone thinner by comparison.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Convicted Lovebot posted:

This movie prompted me to go to CineD for the first time, and I have to say that I wasn't expecting a movie about giant robot fights to be interpreted as cryptofascist or containing allegories to Christ. I can't wait for the Grown Ups 2 and Smurfs 2 threads.

The theme of the Smurfs 2 is that people of different skin color are inferior to you, as symbolized by the differences between the Smurfs and the Naughties. For Grown Ups 2, it's male inadequacy, as symbolized by Salma Hayek as Sandler's impossibly beautiful dream waifu and the castration of an uncredited Taylor Lautner by a male stag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Astro Nut posted:

Speaking of possible flaws and errors though, am I the only one who suspects that the number of Jaegers as imagined in the film's script, far exceeds that of the info we garnered prior to the film's release? I mean, there was definitely some changes, given Cherno Alpha was originally a Mark 4 and Coyote Tango a single pilot suit, but there's little details I saw too. Multiple copies of Horizon Brave are shown under construction, and Cherno Alpha is mentioned as being the last (surviving) of the T90s. Now I get that such is probably a reference to Russian military hardware, but unless a giant robot counts as being the same as a Russian tank, it implies there was a whole series of the things. And of course there's the HK Shatterdome being built to facilitate thirty Jaegers.

Likely. I seem to recall that there were more than one Tacit Ronin (the blue Jaeger) but you have to remember that, after Gipsy Danger's tangle with Knifehead, they started losing Jaegers in almost every single battle over the next five years. They could have had a hundred or so, but with losing a Jaeger for every Kaiju means that the attrition caught up with them. If the Kaiju were appearing every two-four weeks, over five years, that a number from anywhere between 60 to 120 Kaijus battles. The PPDC could very well have been depleted to a handful of Jaegers.

• Locked thread