Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am not sure this movie could be a movie I wanted more if it was directly marketed to me. Holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I guess I'll be the sperg who hates the GLaDOS voice inclusion. I'm looking forward to the movie, and the trailer was awesome, but there's no way that I won't immediately think of Portal when hearing the robot AI talk. I'm not even a huge fan of the games, but just having played them means I'll be distracted every time that voice is featured, which hopefully isn't throughout the whole movie.

I understand it was supposed to be an homage to something Del Toro loves, but c'mon. It's like putting C3PO's voice in the new Transformers because Michael Bay loves Star Wars.

Sadly this too is true to the source genre. :unsmith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stanko-Prussian posted:

I suspect there's no reason at all for the dual pilots thing other than Everybody's Favourite Evangelion Episode "Dance Like You Want To Win!"

Until I hear otherwise I assume it is an homage to GEAR Fighter Dendoh. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gipsy Danger is such a Japanese name that I can't believe it isn't from an actual Japanese product.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Admiral Goodenough posted:

This whole concept is incredibly cool. I think the rocket punch was what really got me excited in the trailer, it just made it that tiny bit more realistic (for a given value of realistic). This might actually motivate me to finally watch some mecha-related shows before the premiere!

e. I'm just gonna... choose one of these thousands of shows... :negative:

I would really recommend you, uh, go and ask in ADTR. Because the number of shows which are irredeemable atrocious poo poo outweighs the number of shows which are good by a pretty large degree.

Peanut President posted:

Roger, Alpha 6 this is Gipsy Danger, reporting to grid marker 2-7, 10-4. The Russians will probably be all "COMRADE!" at all times and the Australians will be Saxton Hale.

Literally Saxton Hale is incredibly stupid and yet I want to see it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

From earlier in the thread:

Del Toro takes giant robot fighting seriously.

With all the country specific G-Gundam Jaeger models I hope each PacRim country gets their own movie posters showcasing their country's giant robot.

Del Toro is the best man in the world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Why is the Eva 150 and 200m? Did they magically change the size of them in the series and I missed it? Or are those the two different sizes between the series and the rebuilds?

The Evangelion robots change size throughout the series. They intentionally did not give them a consistent size, so they can be ridiculously huge in some shots and normal in others.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

reagan posted:

Why are you spoiler tagging Robot Jox?

Because everyone should experience it in its unaltered and unspoiled glory.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrandonLakeTruck posted:

I came to this thread to find out if anyone else was talking poo poo about this movie because I really wanted to pinpoint exactly what I hated about the trailer. And I see everyone is just masturbating about how neat big robots are and how much they love their animus.

Also, I'm like 95% certain Iron Man does a rocket punch in all 3 recent movies he was in so why are you guys acting like it's never happened in cinematic history?

"I came into the thread for a movie because I wanted to talk about how AWFUL it looks. Why are most of the people discussing it excited for it?! Not that I'll clarify why I disliked it, I just want everyone to know that I think it sucks."

Seriously, if you don't like the trailer, fine, but complaining that other people aren't vocally disliking a trailer when you can't even explain your problems is pretty silly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 22, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm happy about this. It not being the Portal Robot Movie is a good thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SavageGentleman posted:

I don't need it explained in the diegetic world of the film, I'm trying to find a reason why you would go for a setup like this as a filmmaker. It must have certain benefits for the viewing experience of the film - or it could just be a stylistic decision, who knows.

Because it looks neat and emphasis the idea of needing teamwork, thus giving the robots something besides "one person/one pilot" while maintaining a superheroic atmosphere instead of a "giant walking tank" atmosphere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Took my daughter, who is three to see Jack The Giant Slayer. One of the trailers was Pacific Rim. She has been flipping her poo poo since to watch it. It is so hard to explain to a three year old you have to wait for movies some times. She also loves Godzilla and Power Rangers. She has been on a serious Batman kick lately. I hear The Big O is Batman with giant robots. Her and I both need this. Where else other than amazon can I get this series at a reasonable price with English subs for her?

Oh, and Jack was actually pretty drat good considering the source material and what demographic they were aiming at.

Big O can get kinda violent and not entirely in a kid-friendly way. The second season also gets pretty incoherent even for an adult.

Also you might want to look at the dub if you go that route, it's actually not too bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Evangelion is one of my favs, so I'm not to worried about keeping up with things. Her? She just wants giant robots and things. I AM concerned for the violence if it gets bad. Like, gore? Or just robot on robot?

It's not a lot of straight-out gore (I think, it's been a while since I've seen it), but there's some human-on-human (or humanoid-robot-on-human) violence and a pretty disturbing episode involving a cute pet cat that has terrible things happen to it. It was clean enough for Season 1 to be shown on CN with relatively minor censorship so it's not that bad really but I figure it might just be something where you'd want to screen episodes before showing them just to be safe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boy, rebuilding your city around the decaying corpse of an extradimensional horror. I can't imagine how that would end badly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

I like how the Japanese jaeger is the worst of them, despite Japan being synonymous with mecha anime. Heh.

It's also the one that is going to end up being the protagonist unit and turning out to be the strongest despite having the shittiest stats.

It is thus the most anime of robots.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Has there been any speculation regarding how the jaegers are piloted? Having two people in one seems confusing to me.

Everything I've seen suggests its basically GEAR Fighter Dendoh involving synchronized movements.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Not if they are all isolated to monster island in the middle of the pacific.

That name is really misleading.

It's more of a peninsula.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Do you like GIANT loving THINGS fighting OTHER GIANT loving THINGS? This is the movie for you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adrastus posted:

Why would you even want to look at the kind of fanart Japanese drew anyway, they'll just put big anime eyes and boobs on the robots and kaijus, you know this

I think there's something hilarious about going "why do you think Japanese would draw good art" while literally using the Japanese word for giant monster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phy posted:

Of course it's getting passed over, it's a Guncannon. Nobody ever gives a poo poo about the Guncannon.

Guncannon got #2 on the Japanese popularity polls actually. Because Guncannons are the best. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goffer posted:

EDIT: From that wiki article: 1940's Racist Nazi/Japanese Kaiju!

But if it stops at nothing you can't stop it. Your producing to the limit is clearly a waste of time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Big O is easily better dubbed but the rest of those shows tend to be a better job subtitled. Evangelion has some good actors but also some awful ones and G Gundam veers wildly in quality (although the later parts tend to be better than the early parts.)

Gurren-Lagann's dub is generally fine though, that's more a matter of preference. Some of the phrasing they use sounds goofier in English to me but it's supposed to sound goofy so that isn't really a downside.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ahahaha. That's not gonna stop the Evangelion comparisons anytime soon.

Hey, they got both Shuuichi Ikeda and Tohru Furuya.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 22, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

When we were discussing the film's potential for failure, someone brought up that the one toy company got the toy deal essentially got it cheap due to a lack of competition: all of the others felt that the movie wouldn't appeal to the younger toy-buying market.

Children hate giant robots and monsters. Just hate them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Devour posted:

But you're saying the destruction & mayhem in Pacific Rim would be suitable for young children? There's not even scenes of Kaiju stepping on large groups of people or anything of that sort at all?

"There are not excessively detailed scenes of people being brutally slaughtered" is not the same thing as "campy." People can die in PG-13 movies, it just doesn't linger on it excessively long or show a lot of gore. There have been films where people get limbs chopped off or decapitated and have PG ratings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

of bees posted:

Question for those of you who have gone to showings already: should I be getting tickets in advance? I'm going with a group of friends to the 'Extreme theater' (AKA knockoff IMAX) in my city on Friday, but we don't have a concrete number of who's going yet so we haven't bought tickets. The showing is right after lunchtime on a business day, so do you think it runs the risk of being sold out?

The answer to this is always "yes, buy tickets in advance."

Some people I know went to see World War Z last weekend and despite it being old, it was sold out when they got there. Don't assume. Just get the tickets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is literally the first film in years I've gone to a pre-Friday showing of. Fuckin' giant robots man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That was a fun film.

It could have been better, for certain, but it was basically just fun from beginning to end.

The weakest points were the characters, but they were mostly just kind of bland and did their job well enough. I got annoyed at a few things. Mako getting girlfriend-sidelined in the end so the main dude can have his designated hero moment, and the underdevelopment of the Russian and Chinese teams. The plot isn't like, great, but it does a serviceable job of being spectacle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Actually, one thing I really appreciate about Pacific Rim: It's earnest.

It isn't ashamed of itself. It isn't constantly winking at the audience about how ~ridiculous~ the concept is. It isn't full of self-loathing and cynicism. It isn't full to the brim of military HOO-RA. It is a straightup, heartfelt, honest love letter to kaiju, giant robots and heroes, and that is really loving appreciated.

It also tells a whole story, it isn't the first part of a trilogy or anything like that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 12, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Name-drop Fellini posted:

With only one black character and one speaking female, this is like the Reddit demographic in film form.

That's pretty ridiculous hyperbole. As I stated above I have problems with how it was handled, but trying to go "this movie is Reddit demographic", especially after the blockbuster movie season we had, is silly. Of the three characters who can be considered leads in the film, one was a black male and one was a Japanese woman and both were given significant screentime and presence. Mako being ejected at the end was still fuckin' dumb, mind you.

White males were certainly overrepresented, as they are in all films, but (especially with the rash of superhero films), at least they had leads characters doing important things who weren't white or Ben Kingsly. It could certainly have been better but it takes serious stretching to claim it's worse than average.

The comic relief was annoying as hell but I'd be hard pressed to say they're anywhere as bad as The Twins. That's some drat faint praise though and the scientists were totally the worst part of the movie.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 12, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Name-drop Fellini posted:

And I would say that when the one relevant female character has no agency and almost gets everyone killed when she can't control her emotions, you don't have to be a social justice crusader to take issue with that portrayal.

That involves ignoring that the male character did the exact same thing, and saying she has no agency ignores her taking down the flying monster when the boring dude lead had already given up.

She isn't fantastic or a particularly great portrayal. I have a lot of problems with her in fact. However compared to most? Yes, she is not that bad, especially for a blockbuster. That isn't a good thing for Hollywood as a whole but at least means the film isn't as bad as other films this year. I wouldn't even be objecting if you just said she wasn't very good instead of trying to claim that Pacific Rim was like something made for the Reddit demographic which is, as I said, ridiculous hyperbole.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 12, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how you're complaining about Kaiju but not Jaeger, because obviously German is fine but god forbid they use a Japanese word.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Because I had kinda forgotten they were called Jaegers. Internally they were, you know, mechs.

MisterBibs posted:

- The core appeal of the film is the fights, but I kept being torn out of the action. Must every action taken by a Jager immediately smash-cut to the Two Guys Inside Doing It, or vice versa? I want to see the two Big Things fight.

You specifically used it after you went out of your way to stress you were using 'monster' instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Yes, I specifically used it. I also specifically used the term Kaiju as well. As with my post, nothing of value was lost by calling the monsters monsters and the mechs, mechs.

I'm not seeing your point. Do you believe there's value in calling the monsters Kaiju, and the mechs Jaegers? Because I don't see it, and thus ding the movie for it.

Yes.

Even ignoring the fact that using generic terms is generally a bad idea for any medium (because it makes your stuff less distinct), using foreign words helps to stress the international cooperation angle of the film. These are not American Robots From America fighting for America, they are the unified creation of the world coming together. Calling them "Mechs" and "Monsters' downplays that and a word being in a foreign language isn't inherently a bad thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I guess we're at an impasse, then, because I consider the usage to be nothing more than an eye-roll worthy affectation.

One of the things Del Toro was very careful to do in the film is not make it a jingoistic or military fantasy story. You have Marshals and Rangers and people from all countries and walks of life are part of the program. People largely speak in English (at least in the US version) but clearly are capable and willing to converse in other languages. Even our 'meathead' protagonist (by his own admission he wasn't top of the class in any regard) is capable of understanding and speaking Japanese. There's no "right" country or "right" people or even a "right" language. It's the world as a whole coming together. Having other languages as part of the story, either in terminology or being spoken by the characters. helps emphasize this.

If you consider that an 'eye-rolling affectation" then you kind of ignored huge chunks of the movie. v:shobon:v

MisterBibs posted:

It's like in that American Godzilla movie, when that of character insisted the monster was named Gojira. No, it's Godzilla here.

Yes, but the movie isn't set 'here.' It's set in Hong Kong and contains a cast of like three Americans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I just wish I looked half as good as Idris Elba in his suits.

His tailor is phenomenal.

I'm pretty sure there are only a handful of men alive who don't wish they looked as good as Idris Elba on his worst day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Any similarities to Eva are highly coincidental, since that's the one mecha anime that del Toro's never seen or even had any real indirect exposure to.

Travis Beacham, who wrote the screenplay, has however. However he's only seen part of it so it's not likely to be a huge impact.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

Ah that's interesting to know, Eva is literally the only mecha I know of the few animes I've been exposed to.

The thing to understand about Eva is that it was intentionally homaging older shows. The Evangelions themselves are intentionally supposed to evoke the idea of the old hero Ultraman, only twisted and bizarre. A big part of what it is is supposed to be a take/homage to older shows but with much darker tones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

Why would an engineered bioweapon be pregnant with exactly one tiny, easily killed junior?

I assumed it was part of the bioweapon thing. If they ignored it long enough they'd have a second real Kaiju pop out and continuing the wrecking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sardikar posted:

I missed that bit as I left as the credits started, what happened in the clip?

Hannibal Chau cuts his way out from inside the Kaiju baby and asks where his shoe is.

• Locked thread