Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
This is one of the movies Del Toro was born to make. The monsters and robots look fantastic so far - there's a lot of Mignola influence in there - and the scale feels massive. Thank god someone with some vision is tackling this crazy beast and not a bland fuckwad like Micheal Bay.

Some details from the panel at Comic-Con:

screenrant.com posted:

Del Toro confirmed that some 40 different Kaiju (giant monsters) were designed for the film, with the best half dozen or so making it into the movie. Similarly, there are some 9 different models of Jaegers that make an appearance at some point.

Most of del Toro’s film feature CGI and digital effects, but are treated the same “as any other element in the film.” Often times, del Toro adds touches to the cinematography – scratching the camera lens, splashing oil on the camera – to make things seem more real and convincing. Also, he insisted on “no f***ing motion-capture” was used, as del Toro didn’t want the robots to move like humans (he called it a “f*** that s**t situation”).

One fan asked what’d happen if only one pilot controlled the Jaeger. Del Toro announced that will indeed be an issue explored in the movie.

Pacific Rim will have flying monsters, sea monsters, and monsters “up the wazoo,” but all the creatures were designed specifically for the film (so no classic types, a la the Leviathan).

Del Toro was keen to emphasize that just about anything you can possibly imagine in a movie about giant robots and monsters will be there in Pacific Rim, along with certain set pieces that’ve never been put onscreen before.

Hell. Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Zorak posted:

Has del Toro said specifically what films / works specifically inspired him to pay them homage with the film? I haven't seen anything yet.

I haven't seen any specific inspirations mentioned, although Evangelion seems pretty obvious. And Mignola, creator of the Hellboy and BPRD comics, is all over the monster and robot design. Del Toro's a giant fanboy - Mimic was an attempt to ape his graphic style onscreen - and the idea of giant otherworldly monsters sent to destroy earth, and the somewhat blocky, retro look of the Jaegers, is straight Mignola.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

So is anyone else somewhat disappointed that the designs of the Jaegers are kind of boring since its all bipedal humanoids?

On the other hand maybe Del-Toro is keeping the more exciting stuff under wraps for now.

I'm assuming the robots are more humanoid as a heroic contrast to the monsters. That, and the idea of humans controlling the robots through a sort of motion capture system sortof requires a bipedal shape.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Goreld posted:

:ssh: Almost all CG effects are hand animated in the end. Even Gollum - despite what the press says, they used Serkis's performance for reference and actually hand animated it. Although Serkis took all the credit for Gollum's performance, a great deal of the work was actually done by WETA animators. (correction - a SHITLOAD of work was done by WETA animators, as is on any WETA project)

The things that aren't hand animated (like say, some mechanical parts in Transformers) are usually controlled by tweaked sims or expression scripts.

Mocap gives extremely noisy data and is almost always used just as reference.

I'm not sure about movies, but in game development we rely pretty heavily on mo-cap now for cinematics, and we keep the original capture as a base - with an assload of cleanup and tweaking on top. I'm sure the WETA animators work their balls off, but having motion capture as a base to start from is incredibly helpful and time-saving. When you have a great physical actor like Serkis that becomes even more true.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Details about when scenes take place in the movie, some exposition on the background of the technology and the suits. I'd avoid it if you're worried about spoilers.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Yes, and my point is that the concept of using giant robots to fight giant monsters is more believable than anyone thinking the robot names sound anything approaching cool and/or testicularly strong.

When your best defense against extinction sounds like rejected Mega Man boss names, reexamine.

I think they sound pretty "cool", so I guess not? They're weird and kitschy, just like the premise. What would you prefer? Bone Cruncher? Razor Claw? The destructinator?

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
With how great these robot designs are, I can't wait to see the Kaiju (who I will inevitably be rooting for). My guess is they'll be basing the marketing around the robots whilst mostly keeping the monster reveals for the film.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

Gameplay footage of the upcoming video game (not the online one).

I believe it has spoilers - if you don't want to see some Kaiju (I haven't watched it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3rC-cErYlM

That's some assy looking art direction, my god. The Jeager/Kaiju models look pretty good but the environments are so dull and grey and dated. It's too bad considering the movie's shaping up to be so colorful and vibrant.

I don't mind a Pacific Rim fighting game, but I'd kill for a really well-executed giant monster game somewhat along the lines of Ubisoft's King Kong.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

TheNakedFantastic posted:

I enjoyed Hellboy 2 a lot more than one. In fact I thought the first was just straight up bad. The sequel was a lot more visually interesting and varied in monster design which is the strong point of the series.

Edit: Guess I left this thread open too long but I'm mystified as to why I hear this opinion so much.

I think the Nazi and Cthulhu hooks of the first film grabbed alot of people who dig that sort of stuff. The sequel dropped that in favor of broader fantasy tropes and left fans of the first film wanting. Personally I think they're both gorgeous, the second film in particular, but pretty lackluster as adaptations of the source material, of which Del Toro is a gigantic fanboy. Both Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's Backbone are closer in tone and spirit to the Hellboy comics than either of the movies.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
What a gorgeous, gorgeous film. I don't remember the last time I've seen sets that...pulsed with so much color. I want to live in the Bone Slums. The Kaiju were incredible looking. Otachi was my favorite, by far. What a cool creature.

The plot was enough. Not terribly clever, but not offensive. Charlie Hunnan is a nonentity, but Charlie Day is hilarious and charming, and steals the show along with the other scientist character.

First real knockout blockbuster of the summer. I wish it had been an hour longer.

Red Pyramid fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 12, 2013

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Lt. Danger posted:

All this combines to create a basically fascist film - not in the sense that it's pro-fascist, or only fascists like it, but in the sense that it portrays a world that operates according to the basic tenets of fascism: warriors are good, violence in service of the state is good, alien others are bad, limp-wristed office suits are bad, so on so forth.

You just described not only the lion's share of anime and kaiju films Pacific Rim's plot is intentionally derivative of, but most big budget action scifi movies. Heroic, militaristic state violence wielded to defeat an alien aggressor - sure, it fits, but you might as well argue that the entire genre is fascist. I think you're pinpointing the basic heroic story blueprint that fascism relies on, rather than the very specific political movement of fascism that only existed in a meaningful way during WW2 in MAYBE three (but probably only two, really) countries.

Lt. Danger posted:

Why is it that in this post-national future, where the nations of the world the Pacific come together to fight alien invaders, everyone (the warriors, the politicians, everyone) is still tagged with their nation of origin? If national boundaries have blurred and faded in the face of a common threat, how is it that we can still tell that Mako's Japanese and Raleigh's American and those two are Australian and those two are Russian...? Why does the film draw attention to Mako being Japanese with Japanese dialogue and Japanese cultural exchanges?

The film never claims that it takes place in a "post-national future". Cooperation doesn't equate to a disintegration of autonomy. I think the fact that each Jaeger/pilot team still retains its own unique cultural quirks is an argument against the film being specifically fascist. Fascism emphasizes conforming to a single heroic national archetype. A fascist film might see the nations of the earth all shedding their individuality in order to adopt a single culture. Instead a cast of characters all with different origins come together and prevail - and they do it whilst being a bunch of petulant, dysfunctional troublemakers. Not exactly a hallmark of the fascist dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Corek posted:

Didn't the old Transformers thread point out Megatron had a vaginal slit in his design in one of the movies?

Edit: Yep.

Christ, was a messy, illegible design. I forgot how ugly the Transformers were. How did that get through an art director?

• Locked thread