Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Guillermo del Toro and Idriss Elba. I never thought I could be this excited for what's basically a giant robot anime. Rocket punch. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

I could never really enjoy Evangelion, except for the giant robot punchy bits that seemed to get further and further apart as time went on. That whining poo poo of a main character made me despise the show so much. I know it's apparently a thing in a lot of Japanese works to have a pathetic character as the protagonist, but good god I cannot sympathise with someone that pathetic. I wanted to slap the little poo poo.
I would hate Evangelion if it weren't for the fact that I can't help but respect something that's about the fate of the world being in the hands of a deeply depressed teenager. If you took that out you would basically be left with a significantly worse version of the Transformers movies and not, say, Titus Pullo in a mech suit.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Undead Unicorn posted:

I am getting a little annoyed at all the Evangelion comparisons myself though, because so far the only similarities between it and Eva, are early Super Robot tropes and setting details.
Well, I don't know anything about giant robot tropes or early Godzilla movies. What I do know is that Guillermo del Toro is pretty drat good at taking the premise of an emotionally abused child stuck in a war zone and turning it into psychological fantasy-horror.

• Locked thread