Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zorak posted:

I think this is the first Hollywood film in some time that has an Asian (co)protagonist that wasn't a kung-fu film?

It's still a Hollywood entry into an Eastern movie genre. I wouldn't say having an Asian costar was anything to be surprised about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why is this one wearing a hat?

Because it's a Jaeger, and Jaegers always wear hats.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Godzilla was about 150~ish when he fought King Kong. He got increased to around 300 in the 90's.

That's the "official" height, though. Whether or not it's consistent to the buildings around them in each film, I don't know.

Can anyone who remembers the animated series remind me if Godzilla is twenty or thirty stories high?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Del Toro said they're roughly 25 stories tall, so it seems they're even bigger than the estimations from the blueprints.

The smallest of those robots is 82m tall. That's 270 feet, which is roughly 25 stories.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

It's the question of whether they mean 'to fight monsters, we created monsters' in an 'oh poo poo' sense or a 'gently caress yeah' sense.

I think it's more in a "Let's paraphrase Nietzsche because it's hip and cool" sense. Then again, people have from time to time accused me of cynicism.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Thunderlips posted:

Giant robots are inherently awesome. But if they're making this world "realistic-ish," I can't get past the thought that thousands of tiny robots would be more effective than 1 or 6 giant robots.

I had a similar thought in Terminator Salvation, where the super-giant terminator is attacking the gas station out in the middle of nowhere. That's a huge amount of Skynet resources in one creation, when dozens or hundreds of tiny robot spiders would probably be more effective and terrifying at killing humans. Less steel, less computing power, faster, sneakier, and less of a loss if they are destroyed.

And looking at the scale of Pacific Rim, my layperson physics says that the stress forces on a giant robot's joints would be enormous. Like a huge lever, the knee or elbow would have to handle an insane amount of stress just from moving itself, let alone fending off a huge monster.

So again, maybe thousands of smaller robots like the squids in the Matrix would be more efficient at crawling all over the monster, cutting and burning and burrowing inside to do some real damage.

Yes, but giant robots.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

I need one of those on my desk yesterday

A 400-foot robot isn't going to fit on your desk, mate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

But all of the Kaiju will be as well. :getin:

No they won't, because if they all get hosed up there will be no sequel. :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

tehsid posted:

This movie is going to make such a great video game, too.

That would be a first. The age of great movie tie-in games died with Ocean Software.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Except a nuclear explosion isn't 100% radiation. There's, you know, a big explosion and fire. Now if the Kaiju can feed on explosions and fire then I'm not sure if the Jagers would be of much effect.

Some things are inflammable, but nothing living can resist a sufficiently hard blow to the testicles.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

it looks like every other facility warning/info sign. Its not like they design the real ones with an eye for style.

No, but they do make them symmetrical. That sign is about as believable as one that reads "[3][2][7] DAYS WITHOUT A KAIJU INCURSION".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

It's godzilla not goddesszilla

It's Gojira. :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hewlett posted:

That's the Asylum's stock in trade - they make 'mockbusters' that are similar in at least surface respects to a big movie coming out, name it something similar (e.g. Transmorphers, Street Racer), film for 30 days in Romania with a cast of nobodies and one B-list actor or pop culture figure looking for a paycheck, and shove it into Redboxes and video stores just before the film's release. The goal is effectively to fool people into renting that movie at the store thinking it's the real flick, and/or getting them in as SyFy Original Movies.

The Asylum makes bank doing it, too.

It doesn't hurt that they rip off the poster and logo designs, either.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gatts posted:

It would be awesome. I dont know what you are implying though. Hulk? There was weight and such there. Even as he lept he reacted in the air as he should have. That Hulk was better than the CG rubber smooshed together like a child mashing his toys in the second movie.

Perhaps he means that Ang Lee is utterly incapable of directing anything more exciting than afternoon tea?

"Would you like a biscuit with your tea, Mr Hulk?"

"BISCUIT NOT IMPORTANT, ONLY TEA IMPORTANT ... AND HULK'S CUP OF TEA THE STRONGEST THERE IS!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jivjov posted:

Going with friends doesn't magically increase the per-ticket price though.

It does if you go with your girlfriend and pay for her ticket.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lars Blitzer posted:

If anything, The Thing with Kurt Russell (and an epic beard) is closer to the story.

Only because it's set in Antarctica. The basic plot of ATMOM is "aliens came to ancient Earth and created life as we know it, explorers find where they did it, and discover the aliens didn't exactly leave. Hijinks ensue", which is very similar to Prometheus.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

You have a strange definition of :3:, given that gentleman said he'd like all the boys aged six to ten to have their first blowjob. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TTBF posted:

I know quite a few non-movie people who won't see a movie unless it's rated fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. It seems to be really common among people who only see a couple of movies a year.

Every time I see a poster or review saying "If you see only one movie this year, see X!" I think that anyone who only sees one movie a year is a shithead who knows nothing about cinema and I will actively avoid any movie they might use as a barometer of taste.

• Locked thread