Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I dig the neat dehumanisation thing they have going on with the robots. Like in the voiceover they talk about making monsters of their own, there's a kind of paradox at work here, where a humanoid machine is less 'human' than something like a tank or a plane because it engages with the monsters on their own level, through direct physical force. It seems like to effectively fight monsters they have to dehumanize themselves(perhaps because mere humans can't effectively comprehend the monsters ala cloverfield).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hopefully this film follows the best giant robot tradition(Big O, Getter Robo) and goes completely insane and near philosophical later on.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Actually Just watch the 1st season of Big O. Best Mecha show ever, batman as gently caress.

The second season is where it gets interesting though. There's all kinds of interesting stuff there about identity and authorship and the whole thing gets surreal and non literal, it's great.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

teagone posted:

I know you goons were all wondering what a pile of kaiju poo poo would look like. Well...

Oh man this rules, the kaiju poo poo is indistinguishable from a manmade rubbish dump.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Having something actually work feels like a refutation of Il Duce. His definition of Corpratism was workers for the good of the state, as well as employers for the good of the state. It's all about the state with facism. It literally. Does not. Work. When applied to a multinational, cooperative endevour.

Couldn't you redefine the state as humanity here though? Like the 'other' they fixate on is the monsters, just as the regime in Starship troopers encompasses all humans and paints the bugs as an other to be eliminated.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

meristem posted:

So you're using the world 'fascism' not in the way that had any real-life consequences and connotations, and the way most everyone understands it (totalitarian control, veneration of a 'strong leader', demeaning of outgroups), but instead in a way defined by some sort of ultimately inconsequential wannabes? OK, I see where your problem is. I think you should choose another word that is less charged if you genuinely want dialogue - otherwise you really run the risk of being misunderstood.

You do realise that "inconsequential" things like the futurist manifesto informed the actions of fascist regimes when they did come to power, right? It's the same ideology.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Miltank posted:

None of those things are even HINTED at being remotely possible within the established world.

I think that's his point, that the movie is constructed so that the only solution is violent. He's suggesting that it should be constructed differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

OldPueblo posted:

Maybe you should go read the definition of subtext then because you seem to have lost your anchor to the way human's communicate things to each other. Let me help you out. Seeing Jesus appear on a piece of toast isn't subtext. Looking at a cloud and seeing a toilet isn't subtext. That's you projecting your poo poo onto something else and then megaposting about it.

Toast patterns and clouds are spontaneously created, whereas films are made by people communicating. They're not the same.

• Locked thread