Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Just saw it and it was absolutely badass. Improper Dinosaur science and Independence Day-style plot-holes aside/included, it was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I won't be the first person to mention this but didn't the film technically end with a jaegerbomb

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think if they do a sequel it will pretty much just be Aliens. New portal, 1000 Kaiju, a Jaeger from every country on earth and a category 10 they all have to turn in to Mechajaegar (Japanese Mick Jagger) to defeat by thrusting a giant country-sized pelvic sword in to it's breach.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
The Kaiju seemed a lot like the baddies in power rangers to me. Put a little figurine down, add water and instant city-smasher. I think one of the reasons they lacked sentiencewas because they were just like an 80's cartoon where the characters are defined by one core principle or personality and stay in that role. I felt like pretty much all the characters in the film were very much 80's cartoon characters. I guess they're all a lot like a 17th century beast fable in which each character wears the mask of a particular animal and takes on those attributes. You know what to expect from them without a backstory, which I guess is why the film just gets straight to the point.

The Kaiju to me are like those clay figurines that get turned in to bigger and badder living magic the gathering decks each time trying to defeat those dastardly power rangers. Whether that's a metaphor or allegory for something I don't know, but it makes sense for them to be slight automatons as they are really the gladiatorial pawns of a higher power.

• Locked thread