Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

qntm posted:

...even though in the movie the robots' movements are being directly motion-captured from real humans?

They are still keyframe animated instead instead of mocapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm actually a tiny bit disappointed that this doesn't look more like the "Guillermo del Toro's Evangelion" I originally heard it described as, with the emphasis on human insecurity and neurosis vs. standing strong and unified against an external threat.

This doesn't reveal one inch of the plot or its themes. This is solely designed to put the movie into the movie going publics conscience and hopefully blowing their mind while doing it.

It's a teaser full of money shots.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
There is no chance in hell GDT will hide the monsters.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I'm really anxious about how this does. I hope it's good and makes a billion bucks, but it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up doing just meh BO, unless it gets Dark Knight level of word of mouth.

Trump fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 1, 2013

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Is this it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-506748/Russian-police-hunt-thieves-stole-200-tonne-metal-bridge.html

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Xguard86 posted:

acidic or otherwise harmful. Which might be why (or part of why) they cant blow the things up with nukes or bombs and have to rocket punch them to death.

Coyote Tango looks like it has some huge rear end cannons, so that might not hold true.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

88h88 posted:

I want to know just how the gently caress they got that thing on the deck... :colbert:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MV_Blue_Marlin_carrying_USS_Cole.jpg

It was probably blown to pieces in the attempt to take it down, so it might be even bigger than how it appears in the picture.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
The cards could be in-world items. Kids love giant robots, even if there desperately trying to save your life.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Yeah if the issue needs to be addressed at all, it lends itself more to a lampshade "it's too bad those peaceniks outlawed nukes in 20XX" than any kind of realistic explanation.

It wouldn't take the combined efforts of the world very long to make new nukes if that was the case.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
It's GDT. He probably spent a year of his life dedicated to designing the Kaiju.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I loving hating goons.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Magnus Condomus posted:

Counterpoint, though I'm not sure which point it's countering: The Cloverfield Monster. That poo poo was funny as hell. I especially loved how they had to drop the shaky cam tactic every time it was on screen, because it'd be too hard to CG in the monster with the camera all over the loving place.

That's just straight up untrue.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
They have two months untill release and I'm guessing Star Trek is everywhere right now. My guess is they'll unleash when Hangover 3 is released. That's a Warner picture and they'll probably hardlock a trailer on it.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
nvm.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Ramen Pride! posted:

Also, we haven't seen a NEW idea (even though it's based in an established genre) in a long, long time. This could be huge, it could flop. It could be a sleeper like I predicted. We won't know until it debuts.

The way they are marketing it now, it won't be huge. Actually I fear it might flop if they don't start focusing on the characters and story. Man of Steel have had a really smart campaign, focusing on the characters and atmosphere first, leaving the money shots for the last trailer and then going all out in the TV ads.

Pacific Rim has been nothing but robots fighting and angry Idris Elba. It's been targeting an audience that was already sold on the basic concept.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Zzulu posted:

The main trailers are gettin good viewnumbers and comments on youtube at least :shobon:

That's the problem with these kinds of movies, they are getting hype in a vacuum of goon-type people that was already going to see it.

If you want a succes you need to cross-over and I can't see Pacific Rim doing this without a major tone change in the advertisments.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

PaganGoatPants posted:

TV SPOT #5: Now with more wubuwubwubwubwuwb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WciztS6jMLE

Also, did I spot a DAYTIME battle in there? :v:

They really really do not want to aim at anything but the core demographic.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The way I see it, the lack of licensing for the children market is because this' Del Toro's baby and he doesn't want to compromise his vision. Licensing the Jaegers for companies like Mattel surely would've messed with the rating and content of the movie.

What, no? If Mattel or anyone else had bought the license to make toys/whatever, it would have been on Warners terms. They most certainly would have had any influence on the content of the movie itself.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

anglachel posted:

All the cries of "it will flop!" seems to ignore basic opening day demographics. The people who see movies on opening weekends tend to be in my experience below 30. Opening day tends to be teenagers and 20 somethings out on dates or just looking for something to do. Pacific Rim is the only action release coming out on that date, so it has a guaranteed lock on bored teenagers looking for something to do Friday night. (and it's summertime, so they are looking for something to do). I highly doubt that a teenage audience and young adult audience are going to flock to Grownups 2

This doesn't make any sense. Going by this, logic John Carter and Battleship should have had huge openings. They didn't fyi.

anglachel posted:

Meanwhile the comparisons to Transformers help it with the woman audience. I never once had trouble getting a date to the Transformers sequels. (the first one I did have trouble with) They were actually fairly popular with the female crowd. So the other thing that might hurt it (a female date turning her nose up at it) gets smoothed out to a degree if an association that this movie is like the Transformers franchise is realized by the non core audience.

The first Transformers had a much better and well rounded marketing blizz than Pacific Rim has had. They focused on the Boy-and-his-car coming of age angle, which has universal appeal. Also, it appeared to have a strong, beautiful female lead. Pacific Rim focuses on smashing giant monsters over their heads with ships, while cool for the core crowd, doesn't do much for the mainstream audience.

The sequels also rode on the goodwill of the first movie, which a lot of people really liked.

anglachel posted:

The biggest threat is that the Long Ranger gets really strong buzz and manages to undercut Pacific Rim. But I think that if Pacific Rim can win the Friday night crowd it will do very well that weekend. Maybe not gangbusters, but enough to win the weekend and manage to make a profit with international audiences included.

I have a feeling Lone Ranger will do decently, on star power alone. If Pacific Rim is as good as I hope, it can do good BO by having small weekend-to-weekend drops from strong word of mouth, but it won't break any records. It really needs to knock it out of the park, though.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Rough Lobster posted:

Online buzz DOES have a huge effect, what are you talking about?

Nothing so far have shown that a strong online buzz alone can carry a movie.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

MisterBibs posted:

How many times, I wonder, before producers start thinking these sorts of movies are literally no-go?

The thing is, movie business is such an arcane art form that literally no one outside a very small group of executives and accountants know what movies actually make money.

How much of the (reported) $180 million budget is already in the bank via licensing, tv and online streaming deals? We have no clue. How does the studio actually get from overseas markets? Not as much as some people think, but we have no clue what the real number is.

It's guesswork, except in the rare cases where secret documents like the Harry Potter breakdown leaks or someone like Peter Jackson pulls the studio in court.

Blast of Confetti posted:

Why do people keep saying this movie is only being hyped by nerds? I would assume that GDT's name alone could fill seats at this point seeing as how popular Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy 2 were. Hell, I saw Man of Steel based on Zack Snyder's name alone even thought I didn't care about Superman.

People don't know directors. Pan's Labyrinth is the best reviewed movie of the last decade, but It won't matter in the big picture.

Trump fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 1, 2013

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Blast of Confetti posted:

From Guillermo Del Toro, director of Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy II, comes Pacific Rim. Not hard to add in the movies. :v: I seriously can't comprehend why everyone seems to want this movie to fail despite talking about how much they like it.

From Steven Spielberg, the director that brought you Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark and E.T comes Empire of the Sun!.

:smugbert:

I'm loving with you.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Tekne posted:

I think a good chunk of the general audience that liked the Transformers movies will show up to Pacific Rim, because to them, it's the only thing like it coming out this year. All Pacific Rim needs is good WoM from that group and the die hard fans to get some legs. The concept isn't that hard to swallow for a big effects blockbuster, and hearing friends and family talking about it should be enough to convince the average moviegoer to visit the theater. Hellboy's concept - demon raised by man, fish guy, and emo pyro fight supernatural threats - was a much harder sell as far as I'm concerned. We'll know for certain soon.

Do you think theres $350 million worth of audience just sitting with their 10 bucks in hand waiting for the next movie with giant robots blowing poo poo up?

Transformers had a much broader marketing campaign. Pacific Rims' campaign is focusing solely on the spectacle.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

PaganGoatPants posted:

There might be one "poo poo!" in it (if even that). A couple parts might be tense/scary, but I don't think it's anything a kid can't handle. No violence other than sticks, fists, explosions, and robot fists. No one even bleeds.

No violence? The movie seems to be based solely on violence. Not gorish, realistic violence, but violence nonetheless.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Dr. Tough posted:

Mildly off topic maybe, but I read an article that stated that Pacific Rim is "tracking" to earn $30 million over the weekend. How the hell can they even begin to figure that?

Article for those curious:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/bombs-away-hollywood-braces-historic-4-straight-weeks-215616373.html

I think that's an old number. But don't be surprised if it doesn't do more than $40ish million

Trump fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Maxwell Lord posted:

The site is jumping the gun a bit calling it "confirmed"- it doesn't look like there's a greenlight, but Legendary at least wants it to happen.

A bit? It's a straight up lie.

• Locked thread