Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
People who don't like Pacific Rim are going in the same mental category as people who don't like dogs: Can't trust them, don't turn your back on them, something is deeply wrong with them.

:black101: SWORD DEPLOYED :black101:

BTW my 8 year-old movie buddy was in complete loving awe at this, and when Gypsy Danger powered up the final time to head out to the Breach he turned to me and did the little "fist-to-palm" gesture and said, "I guess this is it." :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Prude posted:

http://i.imgur.com/82dZRky.jpg

:catstare:
This is a non-ironic opinion I found on a discussion of the movie in my newsfeed. I suppose this person is entirely outside of the target audience, but man, if I didn't know they lacked the self-awareness (and they made the first post, imploring others to skip the film) I'd assume they were pulling some legs. The entire comment thread is full of this, er, gold. Alas, I'm stuck on my phone for now.

Man, this movie could not have been further from anything Transformers if it was orbiting Alpha Centauri.

Anyone who could watch the fight sequences in Pacific Rim (where 99% of the time you knew exactly what both combatants were doing, where they were in relation to each other, etc) and the fight sequences in Transformers (which are basically "what is happening, it's like a bunch of aluminum foil bits loving or something, oh look I guess the Autobots won?") and consider Transformers superior is delusional.

I know we had that thread a while back where people were deconstructing Transformers and talking about the deeper subtext, but those movies were complete loving dreck and should be outlawed, gathered, and destroyed in the least-polluting way possible.

Also, Pacific Rim didn't have someone screaming "GIPSYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!" every loving 30 seconds, unlike a certain cold-blooded murdering Autobot leader.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

Soiled Meat
My mother has just called me and informed me I need to come get my nephew and take him to the swimming pool to wear him out some as (close to a direct quote) "he hasn't stopped chasing the dogs, running around the house yelling about a sword, and making a lot of noise shooting something out of his chest. He also keeps calling himself 'Gipsy Danger' and calling me 'Cherno Alpha.' I think we know whose fault this is."

Yes we do, mom. I blame Guillermo del Toro.

I think I'll just take him to see Pacific Rim again and get him some high-sugar treats on the way back home. :getin:

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

Soiled Meat
Let's say that tomorrow a fleet of alien ships appeared in orbit around Earth and the following message was broadcast:

"People of Earth. We are here to kill you all. Not because we need your resources, or your planet, or because we want anything all from you, but because we revel in killing and that is literally all we do, and all we have ever done. We will destroy your world down to the very bedrock, and continue the bombardment until not even a single microorganism exists. We have sterilized ten million worlds across the cosmos and killed quadrillions of intelligent beings. We will do this until we are the last life in the universe, at which point we will seed the galaxy with various clones, solely in order to grow more intelligent life so that a few millennia hence we can set forth to continue killing. The bombardment begins in one day. You will receive no further communications from us, and any attempt to contact us in any way will be utterly ignored. Goodbye."

Do we have to empathize with them? Should we feel sympathetic towards them? If we miraculously found a way to defeat them, should we feel pity for them? Is it okay to just turn the guns on them and blow them away, or would we be the real monsters if we don't spend our last day trying to find some way to befriend them?

Is it possible for there to actually be "bad guys?" Is every horrid loving monster someone's lovable grand-dad?

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

Soiled Meat

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

When Newton communicates with them, and discovers that they can (and do) understand such concepts as colonialism and genetics.

Are you sure Newt didn't just extrapolate this from what he saw? It didn't seem like the drift was so much of a conversation as it was flashes of images. Seeing the assembly line etc. and the "masters" could easily have led him to this conclusion, which seems much more likely IMO.

• Locked thread