Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ShoogaSlim posted:

Photo editing all across the board is being a real pain in the dick for me right now.

I went to the beach earlier and took a panoramic photo. Trying to crop and adjust the orientation then transfer to VSCO results in just the original file being loaded. I had to email myself the edited photo from the Photos app then download it with Google Drive and then save it back to my phone again for changes to take effect. Then VSCO quits every time I try saving the further edited photo back into my Photos. Fine, so I'll just use the new iOS 8 photo editing tools, which are actually pleasantly robust. Ok so I go to give it a border in Squaready (from within the Photos app still since that's a feature now) and it's been sitting at the spinning loading wheel the entire time I've been typing this post.

This sucks.

Not that this is going to help with your other problems but you can crop and adjust orientation in the VSCO app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm surprised no one has simply made a better weather widget by now. It doesn't take that much to build and could bring in the dollars.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

the kawaiiest posted:

Not that this is going to help with your other problems but you can crop and adjust orientation in the VSCO app.

Aware. Unfortunately cropping in VSCO (as far as I know) forces you to keep a certain aspect. In the Photos app you can drag the box around to any shape you want.

noirstronaut posted:

I'm surprised no one has simply made a better weather widget by now. It doesn't take that much to build and could bring in the dollars.

You do it?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ShoogaSlim posted:

Aware. Unfortunately cropping in VSCO (as far as I know) forces you to keep a certain aspect. In the Photos app you can drag the box around to any shape you want.

You do it?

I'm lazy as hell. I could barely be bothered to download Weather Underground.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
As a longtime WU user I hafta admit the notification center chart's grown on me. At first I had both the chart and the radar, but after getting rid of the radar my whole NC seems a lot tighter and much more svelte.

I like the chart because I'm more concerned with whether it will be raining or snowing when I get off work, that is, a 5-day preview is less important to me for a quick glance than a chart of how the current day's going--and I think that's the point. I can open the app if I need to see if it'll be raining for the weekend or how far away a storm might be.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Whats a good blog for new ios apps? Something like touch arcade but for non games. Coming from Android, I used to religiously read Android Police so basically I'm looking for something like that but for iOS.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I like 9to5mac.com for Mark Gurman's articles.

serebralassazin fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 30, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

serebralassazin posted:

I like 9to5mac.com.

The only good thing about 9to5 is Gurman's "predictions"

e: Also, gently caress Mike Beasley

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

blakout posted:

Whats a good blog for new ios apps? Something like touch arcade but for non games. Coming from Android, I used to religiously read Android Police so basically I'm looking for something like that but for iOS.

http://thesweetsetup.com

Edit: http://appshopper.com if you want just a torrent of new/discounted/gone free apps

Edit 2: I didn't mean torrent as in :filez: obviously

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 30, 2014

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
So.... if I want to have that Weather Underground widget in my NC but I also want a Today Summary I'm going to have a sentence telling me the weather no matter what, huh? That's hosed up.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ShoogaSlim posted:

So.... if I want to have that Weather Underground widget in my NC but I also want a Today Summary I'm going to have a sentence telling me the weather no matter what, huh? That's hosed up.

No, you can turn off location services for the stock Weather app in settings to disable it.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

noirstronaut posted:

The only good thing about 9to5 is Gurman's "predictions"

e: Also, gently caress Mike Beasley
Thinking about it, you're right I only read Gurman's articles and skim the other headlines to see if any apps/app updates are out.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

noirstronaut posted:

No, you can turn off location services for the stock Weather app in settings to disable it.

Thanks. The tradeoff for that is asking Siri for the weather gives you a general response as opposed to specific location. That's fair I guess because WU gives you more detail anyway.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 30, 2014

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.
Does anyone have a good imgur app replacement for picup? It appears to have died with the iOS 8 upgrade. I really liked that app because I could easily upload pictures, edit sizes and quickly grab the direct image link. I've tried Pocketgur and I can't find any way to edit the picture in any way.

Another semi-obscure issue: is anyone having any luck with the new Calibre update not recognizing their device for Marvin? When I boot up Calibre the Marvin extension button appears for less than a second and then goes away. I got an iPhone 6 in the mail today and would like to put some books on it, but I am not sure if it is a software issue or not.

Much appreciated.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Facebook messenger quietly updated itself in between me going back and forth from that and other apps. I was taken aback for a second. It's really incredible how much better apps look when they're optimized for iPhone 6

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ShoogaSlim posted:

Facebook messenger quietly updated itself in between me going back and forth from that and other apps. I was taken aback for a second. It's really incredible how much better apps look when they're optimized for iPhone 6

*tumbleweed blows by the Facebook app*

Honestly, how the hell does this happen, Facebook. You are literally in the OS. You're in the drat OS.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

noirstronaut posted:

*tumbleweed blows by the Facebook app*

Honestly, how the hell does this happen, Facebook. You are literally in the OS. You're in the drat OS.

What's sad is the Facebook app got an updated today. Just not a good one.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
People who read comics probably already know this, but the best iPhone for comic reading is Comic Zeal. It hasn't been updated for the iPhone 6 yet, but in landscape mode, it looks perfect and it's formatted perfectly for standard sized comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Closing this thread to open up a new one, seeing as a few apps have started to support NC widgets and the 3rd party keyboards are stable-ish.

EDIT: :siren:New thread:siren:

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 1, 2014

• Locked thread