Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

abraham linksys posted:

Is the new version of this worth purchasing? I was really bothered to see that the new version is a new $5 app. Somehow, I doubt that the new version will have better performance on my aging iPhone 4 :I

They also took the old version off the app store, so to redownload it I have to hunt through my ridiculously long "Purchased" list :argh:

I bought the new one just because I love the app so much and wanted to support the developer, but I wouldn't say that it has any killer new features that Instacast 2 didn't have, other than now being a universal app rather than being split into two separate ones.

That said, they did rebuild the entire thing from the ground up and it takes advantage of some new technologies behind the scenes. One nice new feature is a built-in syncing solution, rather than relying on iCloud, which I always found pretty undependable with Instacast 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

If you'd have told me this time last year the IOS Facebook app would ever be good I'd have laughed but it's really rather great since the last few updates.

Coming from Facebook for Android, I can confirm that it is very good. There are some minor annoyances I find with it, but for 95% of it's functions, it's really good.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

I've been using 1Password for over two years, but I can't see much reason to upgrade to the new versions--just don't see anything in the new features list that looks significant, and it's not like the old ones are likely to stop working.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

headfake posted:

I've been using 1Password for over two years, but I can't see much reason to upgrade to the new versions--just don't see anything in the new features list that looks significant, and it's not like the old ones are likely to stop working.

The new in-app browser functionality is pretty spectacular, a lot like desktop browsing support (haven't tried creating any new accounts in it yet though). That said, no there aren't really any exceptional reasons to upgrade.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Red posted:

PaperKarma - Take a picture of your junk mail, submit it, and you'll never get that crap in the mail again. Free.
Thanks for this! Very impressive app. I wonder how they make money?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I still haven't updated to iOS 6 because the Google Maps integration is pretty much what sold me my first iPhone 3 years ago.

Now that this news has hit, I'm thinking about upgrading. I have a question though: if I update my OS, and grab the Google Maps app, is there a way to set it as the default? Like if I'm in my contact list or my Yelp app and click on an address, so it will allow me to open that address in Google Maps instead of Apple's?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not unless you jailbreak and even if you could JB I'm not sure there's an app for that (I know of the one that let's you choose the default browser so it shouldn't be too hard to make a map variation)

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

abraham linksys posted:

Is the new version of this worth purchasing? I was really bothered to see that the new version is a new $5 app. Somehow, I doubt that the new version will have better performance on my aging iPhone 4 :I

They also took the old version off the app store, so to redownload it I have to hunt through my ridiculously long "Purchased" list :argh:

It seems lovely, but if they didn't remove the old version, they'd have to deal with customers purchasing the old version and then demanding refunds when they realized their mistake.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Stutes posted:

It seems lovely, but if they didn't remove the old version, they'd have to deal with customers purchasing the old version and then demanding refunds when they realized their mistake.

Oh yeah; I get why they removed it from the app store. Mostly, I'm just kinda bothered by them releasing a new version for $5 with few improvements, but at least it's better than the strategy they tried in the last version (an in-app purchase for a "Plus" version, when the app itself was still paid).

I went ahead and bought it because the old app was only $2, and I've been using it for over a year, so I figure it's not a big deal to support the developers to make future versions. It does actually seem to perform better, even though it doesn't have much in the way of new features.

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached
Hey Thirst Mutilator!

Thanks very much for carrying the torch. For the other thread regulars, I apologize for not keeping the previous thread and OP up to date -- I spend most of my time in the iOS Games thread these days.

In any case, to stay on topic. New Google Maps is nice, but then again I didn't have much problem with the built-in Apple Maps myself.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Instacast used to work great for me, until they updated it to the second version. Now it seems there are a bunch of bugs and I have to restart the app manually often.

I didn't realize there's a third version now, I don't think I'd ever buy something from the developer again

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

I was reading your Drafts review then started to skim your blog. You've got a lot of really good stuff up there and I really like your style. Keep it up man, you could be the next Gruber (without the smugness and dicknose).

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
I recently updated Chrome and now audio in the app is played through the earpiece and not the speakers. Does anybody else have this problem?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Picked up Fantastical based on recs from here. I already have calvetica but this is much nicer, less cluttered, easier to enter items too. Definitely switching over.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

bort posted:

Thanks for this! Very impressive app. I wonder how they make money?

Presumably theyre not making any right now, but plan to leverage their userbase through ads or making the app 99 cents or whatever once theyre more well known. Hopefully the latter.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm not really sure why I should upgrade to the new 1Password app. The feature its toting, the browser, already exists in the existing app.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm not really sure why I should upgrade to the new 1Password app. The feature its toting, the browser, already exists in the existing app.

It is much nicer now, especially on the iPad. But yeah if you're happy with the older version, there's no need to switch unless you want to ditch Dropbox.

If you only have the iPhone version it may also be worth picking it up now since its universal.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Anyone using Camera+ should give ProCamera a look. I keep re-installing Camera+ after each update to see what's changed, and it always just reminds me how much more functional ProCamera is.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

timb posted:

I was reading your Drafts review then started to skim your blog. You've got a lot of really good stuff up there and I really like your style. Keep it up man, you could be the next Gruber (without the smugness and dicknose).

A commendation from timb? Validation! :unsmith:

But really though, thank you for that.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Didn't see Goodreader in the OP yet. It's still a pretty great file-management-app-in-document-reader-clothing. It integrates well with Dropbox and other cloud services. I use it all the time in meetings as my virtual file, where you can easily pull pictures and records to show others (even better now with iOS6 Guided Access o prevent fat-fingering). I even use it to mark up PDFs on the go via iPad beforehand, like a portable Adobe Acrobat with change-tracking and all. Pretty great to dictate my bookmarks' descriptions too.

Can't speak for the iPhone version but the iPad one is top notch.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Facebook has been updated. Boasts a rebuilt timeline and the ability to add photos into an album when uploading.

If you'd have told me this time last year the IOS Facebook app would ever be good I'd have laughed but it's really rather great since the last few updates.

I'd rather they work and fix some bugs rather than adding in new features.

The fact that you can't manually clear the cache is a huge pain in the rear end, since the app saves EVERYTHING it downloads even if it's been deleted on the site itself. (Stale posts/photos, etc.)

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Here's an interesting mail app that might be able to replace Sparrow for many users. Still unreleased, though.

http://www.mailboxapp.com/

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Butt Savage posted:

Here's an interesting mail app that might be able to replace Sparrow for many users. Still unreleased, though.

http://www.mailboxapp.com/

Doesn't it bug the poo poo out of people that Mail.app still gets used for default mail stuff? I don't know.. for me the built in app performs well enough for me not to implement multiple solutions.

Sometimes I wish iOS had the Android approach to default apps. One of the few things I actually like about Android.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Stutes posted:

Google Maps still seems to be struggling with legibility - the black text on satellite maps is way too hard to read.
I find the text labels in general look worse than on their raster tiles. Like the background/outline that's usually there isn't as thick so the text doesn't stand out as well, and the label layout isn't as well arranged (kind of like Apple's), albeit that one is understandable considering the whole dynamic display nature of the maps now.

timb posted:

iTeleport - Hands down the best VNC/RDP app out there.
I got Screens on sale a while back and it's pretty nice, with one exception - there's no trackpad mode. They have some anti mouse mentality with it ("it's for touch only devices!"), while admirable, makes no sense when the whole point of the app is controlling GUIs designed for a mouse.

MrChupon posted:

I still haven't updated to iOS 6 because the Google Maps integration is pretty much what sold me my first iPhone 3 years ago.

Now that this news has hit, I'm thinking about upgrading. I have a question though: if I update my OS, and grab the Google Maps app, is there a way to set it as the default? Like if I'm in my contact list or my Yelp app and click on an address, so it will allow me to open that address in Google Maps instead of Apple's?
Well if you don't mind an extra step or two, Google Maps registers itself as a transit routing app so it shows up in the built in Maps. Tapping the address would take you to Maps, then you hit the transit button and open up Google Maps from there.

...of course if the Apple Map works fine for what you're looking up then you're doing that extra stuff for no reason.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The desktop versions of 1Password haven't been upgraded to 4 yet. Anyone know if that causes a problem? i.e. does running 4 on my iPhone and 3 on my Mac (linked with Dropbox) cause any problems?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The desktop versions of 1Password haven't been upgraded to 4 yet. Anyone know if that causes a problem? i.e. does running 4 on my iPhone and 3 on my Mac (linked with Dropbox) cause any problems?

I'm sure they wouldn't have released the iOS version yet if it was a problem.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Nah, it works fine, but 1Password 4 isn't really anything special.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

maduin posted:

Nah, it works fine, but 1Password 4 isn't really anything special.
Thanks. I know it's not a big update, but I still lack the iPhone version, so it's like a half-off "Pro" purchase.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
If anyone is interested, the Culinary Institute of America's iOS app (The Professional Chef) is ~75% off on the app store -> it dropped from $50 to $12.99

DJ ChemE
Dec 1, 2004

Trust me, I'm a doctor

CerebralDonut posted:

If anyone is interested, the Culinary Institute of America's iOS app (The Professional Chef) is ~75% off on the app store -> it dropped from $50 to $12.99

What does it do?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

DJ ChemE posted:

What does it do?

It better make me loving Gordon Ramsey approved scrambled eggs at $50 is what it better do.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys im looking for a good streaming video player for iPad and iPhone. Most stuff i can find on the AppStore seems to have codec troubles. No AC3 codec and stuff like that. I just bought a Zyxel NSA 310 and would like to use my iDevices as tiny TVs

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Shai-Hulud posted:

Hey guys im looking for a good streaming video player for iPad and iPhone. Most stuff i can find on the AppStore seems to have codec troubles. No AC3 codec and stuff like that. I just bought a Zyxel NSA 310 and would like to use my iDevices as tiny TVs

Apple is requiring all video apps to remove AC3 support due to patent issues.

It's not a solution for everyone, but I just convert any MKV I download to MP4 with MkvToMp4, a free and simple Windows application that extracts video and audio streams from MKVs and remuxes them into MP4, with the ability to convert AC3 and DTS audio to AAC while leaving the video untouched, making an iOS compatible file. It can also convert SRT subtitles to iOS compatible closed captions, so converting foreign films isn't an issue. It can batch convert files, too.

The 1080p encodes that Apple sells on the iTunes Store are actually pretty nice, quality wise. Normally I hate DRM but I only watch movies bought from iTunes on iDevices anyway, so stuff like HDCP isn't an issue for me. I do still sometimes resort to :filez: if a movie I want isn't on iTunes or unavailable in HD, though, so MkvToMp4 is a lifesaver.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shai-Hulud posted:

AirAV streams anything direct from my Synology NAS no problem, and it doesn't seem to have that new weird AC3 patent issue where apps are updated to not play AC3 audio.

Edit: based on above I'm guessing this app has been pulled or something, I don't know for sure but it's still working great for me.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

hypersleep posted:

Apple is requiring all video apps to remove AC3 support due to patent issues.

Its not Apple, it's Dolby Labs. They want to force anyone using AC3 to pay massive licensing fees because they have no clue. Apple is just complying with the law/court orders. If you're willing to pay a six-figure licensing fee to Dolby you can quite happily ship AC3 support in your app.

If Dolby had any brains, they'd have an app licensing strategy where small devs could pay 100 bux to get a license. Instead they are forcing everyone to use alternate patent-free or RAND formats, ensuring they are locked out of the next generation. It's idiocy but what do you expect from a bunch of old farts? Same reason the record companies sued Napster, etc.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Shai-Hulud posted:

Air Playit HD, it's made by a Chinese guy so there's lots of engrish but it works perfectly.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

I just wrote entirely too many words about Twitterrific 5 but maybe it'll be helpful to anyone still on the fence.

The tl;dr version is that I wouldn't really recommend it to power users, and it has a couple odd issues that may require updates to fix, but it's still really good and now resides on my dock where Tweetbot used to live.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

My wife and I are going to iPad it up on Christmas. I gather it is too much a hassle to try to run us both under a single AppleID so we don't have to repurchase $10 apps for each of us on each tablet? I haven't seem much that indicates it is worth the trouble.

Coming from Android this is a a bit of a downer, but I get that devs gotta get paid.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Turnquiet posted:

My wife and I are going to iPad it up on Christmas. I gather it is too much a hassle to try to run us both under a single AppleID so we don't have to repurchase $10 apps for each of us on each tablet? I haven't seem much that indicates it is worth the trouble.

Coming from Android this is a a bit of a downer, but I get that devs gotta get paid.

Not hard at all. My wife and I just bought iPhones and we're sharing the same App Store account. You just put in the Apple ID you want for the store, it's a separate entry than all your other IDs. Just make sure to turn off automatic downloading if you don't want your apps to download to her iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

bazaar apparatus posted:

I just wrote entirely too many words about Twitterrific 5 but maybe it'll be helpful to anyone still on the fence.

The tl;dr version is that I wouldn't really recommend it to power users, and it has a couple odd issues that may require updates to fix, but it's still really good and now resides on my dock where Tweetbot used to live.

Why do you like it better than Tweetbot?

• Locked thread